Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Spoeank posted:

3 weeks. You're slipping, duck.
Maybe the delay will get larger and larger until he stops reporting on things at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It just means he's putting more and more time into research.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This strikes me as horribly racist against... the Philippines? I'm saying the Philippines.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Hate to pick at this, but I'm pretty sure that Boomers were just as lovely back then as they are now.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

JT Jag posted:

This strikes me as horribly racist against... the Philippines? I'm saying the Philippines.

"Among filth and microbes, the chinaman condiments the food that the public will later pleasantly taste"

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010
Didn't see this one posted:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Before suffrage and desegregation, for instance.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I knew he'd do a cartoon on the dress, long after its 15 minutes were up, I loving knew it.

And did conservative mouthpiece girl just confirm our "actually a dwarf in her mid-30's" theory? She apparently doesn't count as a millenial while her coyote buddy does...

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rorus Raz posted:

A Good Cartoon

Yep, that's right. The Race Problem in our country is a recent development. Them darkies should have stayed in chains, I tell you.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Here's the story, since I had no idea what this was about before I looked it up.

Alright, this one got me. The emails in the second panel... They're pretty good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Only Obama has the brains to rule Lylat!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cpt.Americant posted:

True BRT (with dedicated right of ways, permanent stations selling tickets prior to boarding) is only a little bit cheaper than light rail and has a significantly smaller capacity and lower ride quality. BRT stations also don't create the same return on investment as light rail stations by not having the same positive effect on property values. Look at LA's Orange Line v. its Gold Line. Both have dedicated right of ways and dedicated stations, but the Orange Line did not spur development the way the Gold line did. The Orange Line was also less able to get car commuters to switch to it, which is a vital part of the equation for getting the funds to opperate it.

And as for all the other posts talking about Who Framed Rodger Rabbit, you realize that the auto companies were not the only reason streetcars failed right? They failed everywhere, including Canada, including Europe, including cities in the US where GM had no hand in any of it. It's a lot of resons, and I'll try to keep it short, but I really hate this truism that's out there that without GM, streetcars would still be alive and well:

In the 20s, trolleys were at their absolute height. They were self-sustaining, expanding rapidly, and were considered a vital part of any city. Then in the Great Depression, ridership went down. Lines everywhere stopped expanding, cut back on maintenance and generally did their best to survive. Then when WWII came, the freeze in maintenance and expansion became law, steel and resources trolley companies need were also needed for the war. So in 1945 you had a system where trolley systems had been through 15 years of little to no growth and poor maintenance.

But during that same time, the internal combustion engine became much better. And all the factories spooled up for war instantly returned to building cars as soon as the war was through. It created millions of cars clogging the roads and slowing down trollies. Trollies generally used the middle of the road, and they could not pull over when letting people on an off. But a bus, that could pull over and stop holding up traffic every time people wanted to get on and off.

With the war over, the US and its growing population started expanding cities outward again like it did in the 20s. But unlike the 20s, there was an alternative to the expensive process of laying new rail. All homes need a road, if for no other reason that for deliveries and essential services. Buses could use those roads without the need to build expensive new rail to the new areas of the city.

With the increase of cars, ridership for mass transit never recovered. It still hasn't. The peak of ridership in cities even with good quality mass transit was in the 1920s. All over the country, systems struggled to maintain profitability while saddled with slower service (due to traffic), smaller coverage (due to not connecting to the suburbs) and outdated systems (due to 15 years of neglect). When systems started failing to maintain profitability, people saw it as a business failing. In their lifetimes, mass transit had always been a private business that had been self-sustaining. Now that it couldn't be self sustaining any more, it needed taxpayer subsidies to exist. But it wouldn't be till the 80s when people started to see these systems not as businesses but as utilities and infrastructure worthy of subsidy. GM did speed the death of many systems, but they were only able to do that because all the systems were failing anyway. The only system in the United States to go untouched is New Orleans and that is not only the oldest system in the US it has cultural significance to the city.

There are other factors too, but this is a political cartoon thread, not a transportation policy thread and this is already way longer than it probably should be on the subject.

Shortened version: nobody desires streetcars any more.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WarpedNaba posted:

Hate to pick at this, but I'm pretty sure that Boomers were just as lovely back then as they are now.

Yeah, pretty much. When they were young, their idea of making a political stand was getting high and having a concert that they pretend was important.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

We've had wars for the entire history of mankind, Islam has been rising for over a thousand years, Israel was formed in 1948 and we've had communications satellites since the 1960s. Yep, rapture is going to happen ANY DAY NOW.

Also, I'm not sure how Zombie Space Obama connects to the topic.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Nenonen posted:

We've had wars for the entire history of mankind, Islam has been rising for over a thousand years, Israel was formed in 1948 and we've had communications satellites since the 1960s. Yep, rapture is going to happen ANY DAY NOW.

Also I'm pretty sure that "the rise of Islam" is not one of the Biblical prophecies for the rapture given, you know, Islam didn't exist until centuries after the Bible was put together.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

BBJoey posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that "the rise of Islam" is not one of the Biblical prophecies for the rapture given, you know, Islam didn't exist until centuries after the Bible was put together.

Or that Islam recognizes Jesus as a Prophet of God.. though I doubt many Christians know or care about that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's why they're prophesies, dummy!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Mecca is the city that has that one building that literally houses as many people as one or two of the arcology types from Simcity 2000, not that sleepy looking medieval town.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cpt.Americant posted:

Didn't see this one posted:

Didn't know harper was a Eric Burdon fan.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm usually not too bothered by Jarlsberg's drivel, but this cartoon makes me genuinely angry. Using a tragedy to score cheap political points is despicable.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm usually not too bothered by Jarlsberg's drivel, but this cartoon makes me genuinely angry. Using a tragedy to score cheap political points is despicable.

Pretend it's the Millennium Falcon and that pesky young Jedi-in-Training Ted Cruz is trying to get in. Obama is busy making the jump to hyperspace and he needs some quiet to concentrate.

I agree. This is some top rate poo poo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bennett has a point. Babies are gross.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

I had to look at this for a minute before I could tell what side of the window he's supposed to be on.

My head is going to loving explode I swear

OK but what does Obama represent? He didn't want to go all the way and say obama is the antichrist?

loquacius posted:

Bennett has a point. Babies are gross.

Tea Party Terry, my favorite Garbage Pail Kid.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Nenonen posted:

Jesus, forget communication satellites, how about the Printing Press?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

The US Leadership store is waiting for Congress to approve a inventory order so Obama can restock the shelves. Under Obama, US Leadership has been a hot item?

Samuel Clemens posted:

They just want him to unlock the door so they can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus

Seriously, this cartoon is definitely a contender for worst cartoon about a tragedy gay abortion. This is just loving tasteless

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

aw he's so widdle!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Woooooooow. At least make a joke funny if it's gonna reference a tragedy that's not even a week old. Christ.

Saint Sputnik posted:

My head is going to loving explode I swear

Low-info voter spotted! :tinsley:

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 27, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

wow this is blurry as gently caress, it's hurting my eyes to look at

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm not sure "using a tragedy to make political points" is really a crime. I mean, this was a pretty great cartoon:

and "oh, no, you made fun of a tragedy" was exactly how Rick Perry tried to defend himself.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

prefect posted:

I'm not sure "using a tragedy to make political points" is really a crime. I mean, this was a pretty great cartoon:

and "oh, no, you made fun of a tragedy" was exactly how Rick Perry tried to defend himself.

Except that actually had something to do with the tragedy. The lax regulations from Texas allowed the explosion. Obama had absolutely nothing to do with the airplane crash.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah, I feel like there's a small but important distinction between "Unrelated tragedy happens, just like the tragedy of OBAMA RUINING AMERICA amirite?" and "Tragedy happens related to politician's direct influence over their state."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
With an attitude like that there would be no tribute.avi

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Okay, I retract my previous comments. Those are good points. My bad. :tipshat:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, pretty much. When they were young, their idea of making a political stand was getting high and having a concert that they pretend was important.

My mom got teargassed on the white house lawn protesting the Vietnam war, and made a human wall to keep out the police when this happened, and also got way high and went to a concert that was pretend-important thank you very much :colbert:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:captainpop: he gets away with printing that kind of harsh language in a newspaper?

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

In about 5 minutes those candles will burn down and disappear into thin air, with all that's left being delicious Obamacare cake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

There's not even a point to trying to refute this facile idiocy anymore, is there? I mean, I can point to personal experience that would allow me to get coverage that I would have been denied prior to the passage of the ACA at lower rates and deductibles than before, that I would be paying less than the full premium cost of unacceptably poor coverage under my last employer, and that most of the negative impact has been from my state's refusal to expand Medicaid, but people like JRROSE! would never listen even if every anecdote were the same, would they? Evidence just doesn't matter when you're pushing a talking point.

:smith:

• Locked thread