Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Covok posted:

And, in regards to the latter comment, they are smart enough when it comes to non-gaming or business things. Like, they are fine computer scientists and electrical engineers, but, when it comes to gaming, they don't really know much. They're the type who only really superficially plays RPGs. That's fine, but it can be annoying when stuff like this happens.

If you're actually a real old-school gamer Against the Giants has plenty of name recognition. Tomb of Horrors is the equivalent of the tourist trap (literally).

Sorry you're taking the brunt of this Covok. It's just I actually do think that there's some merit to old school play if it's done correctly, and Tomb of Horrors is like all the worst stuff about old D&D distilled into one dumb package.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of which, the presentation of ToH has always...bothered me? I guess? It's just how Gary manages to cram so much content into about 16 pages, but at the cost of easy scanability. It's pretty much a literal wall of text.

e: that, and the hint poem has terrible meter.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 26, 2015

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Covok posted:

Yeah, they didn't go for the idea of changing the adventure.

My condolences.

If they ever decide they want to play a fun old school game we'll be happy to provide advice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Did I mention this is a tournament with prizes and a scoring system?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Covok posted:

How's the scoring system supposed to work? Are they playing in teams or are they being scored individually?

Edit:

quote:

Everything rolled over is squashed to a pulp. There is no appeal.

:agreed:

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 27, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DalaranJ posted:

How's the scoring system supposed to work? Are they playing in teams or are they being scored individually?

They only gave me three hours so it's probably going to be individually since one game will probably take that whole slot. That and we only have so many prizes.

As for scoring, add up all XP from characters and the GP value of magic items, dead characters count as 1/2. Everyone gets 3 lives.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Covok posted:

What's to stop everyone from reading this really old, easily available module? Will there be a prize for least blatant cheater?

Covok
May 27, 2013

WaywardWoodwose posted:

What's to stop everyone from reading this really old, easily available module? Will there be a prize for least blatant cheater?

Honor system and the fact that I am fairly certain only me and my friend are aware of how easy it is to find this. The amount of people who know anything really about D&D in my college is like less than 0.1% of the population. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but it's not my idea.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Covok posted:

computer scientists and electrical engineers
Sever.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you're actually a real old-school gamer Against the Giants has plenty of name recognition. Tomb of Horrors is the equivalent of the tourist trap (literally).
A-series too. Down with the Slave Lords.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Covok posted:

Honor system and the fact that I am fairly certain only me and my friend are aware of how easy it is to find this. The amount of people who know anything really about D&D in my college is like less than 0.1% of the population. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but it's not my idea.

Fair enough, I guess I'm just used to playing with groups where everyone, no matter how dumb, is convinced he is the smartest one in the room.
Also please make a tiny trophy for most blatant cheater.

Covok
May 27, 2013

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Fair enough, I guess I'm just used to playing with groups where everyone, no matter how dumb, is convinced he is the smartest one in the room.

There is still plenty of that.

quote:

Also please make a tiny trophy for most blatant cheater.

As the treasurer of the club, we can't get such a trophy on such short notice because of regulations. Don't get me started on how little everyone, but me seems to know about the regulations. Just saying.

Excuse me?

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 27, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

B2, Isle of Dead, then Against the Giants is awesome as one campaign.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Covok posted:

Excuse me?

A joke from E/N, I think.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Covok posted:

As for scoring, add up all XP from characters and the GP value of magic items, dead characters count as 1/2. Everyone gets 3 lives.

Sounds reasonable. That'll probably get them, oh, a couple of rooms into the dungeon? :unsmigghh:

Also, have a look at this handy reference/walkthrough.

Covok
May 27, 2013

LashLightning posted:

A joke from E/N, I think.

I don't really get it, though

Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of magic items for AD&D 1st edition? They get magic items, but I don't know what they do.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Covok posted:

I don't really get it, though

Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of magic items for AD&D 1st edition? They get magic items, but I don't know what they do.

The DMG has the standard magic item descriptions and if you don't have a copy then retro-clones should get you close enough.

If you want to spend money then Drivethrurpg has the Encyclopedia Magica series in pdf. It's for 2E but should work with minor adjustments.

Edit: It looks like OSRIC has you covered for an online reference for the DMG Magic Item tables (lists) and descriptions.

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 27, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Please please Covok I'm begging you to let us know how it goes. I think the dumbo "Old School Gaming" people don't realize just how hard and lovely Tomb of Horrors is going to be to the average 20 year old who never played Fantasy Vietnam at all, much less the shittiest, most adversarial, most nonsense module of all time. They're going to be pointed at a hill that looks like a skull and told to get to it! It's going to be glorious, because probing for a door is like 8th down the list after goofing off with all the stones, moving the stones, casting Detect Magic on the stones, etc. etc. etc. At this point your players are going to be piss bored and ready for it to stop, but NO! They haven't even scratched the surface. (well, they have, literally, but you know what I meant!)

Also: Expedition to Barrier Peaks rules, Whiteplum Mountain is pretty good but overrated, and the Slave Lords series owns bones.

Also I'll try to get my DMG 1st edition out of storage and list out the magic items. No promises though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Giants leading into Descent and finishing up with Demonweb is the best thing. I remember the first time I saw that lich all snug in his room filled with Magic Mouths cast on every conceivable surface, and my 13 year old self went :wtf:???

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I never got to play the other adventures that linked off Against the Giants, or even read them. It ended on a 30 year old cliffhanger for me. Gonna fix that oversight right now.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Please please Covok I'm begging you to let us know how it goes. I think the dumbo "Old School Gaming" people don't realize just how hard and lovely Tomb of Horrors is going to be to the average 20 year old who never played Fantasy Vietnam at all, much less the shittiest, most adversarial, most nonsense module of all time. They're going to be pointed at a hill that looks like a skull and told to get to it! It's going to be glorious, because probing for a door is like 8th down the list after goofing off with all the stones, moving the stones, casting Detect Magic on the stones, etc. etc. etc. At this point your players are going to be piss bored and ready for it to stop, but NO! They haven't even scratched the surface. (well, they have, literally, but you know what I meant!)

Also: Expedition to Barrier Peaks rules, Whiteplum Mountain is pretty good but overrated, and the Slave Lords series owns bones.

Also I'll try to get my DMG 1st edition out of storage and list out the magic items. No promises though.

Isn't there a story somewhere about a guy running Tomb of Horrors at a tournament, and the first two groups all charged one after another through a disintegrating door or something like that? Whole tournament finished in like 30 minutes?

Wonder if we'll hear the same from Covok's group :allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm hoping they never find the real entrance and just give up.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Giants leading into Descent and finishing up with Demonweb is the best thing. I remember the first time I saw that lich all snug in his room filled with Magic Mouths cast on every conceivable surface, and my 13 year old self went :wtf:???
You can get a used copy of this for only $145 bux.

http://www.amazon.com/Spiders-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons-Supermodule/dp/0880383216

quote:

This product contains revised material that originally appeared in modules G1 (Steading of the Hill Giant Chief), G2 (Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl), G3 (Hall of the Fire Giant King), D1 (Descent into the Depths of the Earth), D2 (Shrine of the Kuo-Toa), D3 (Vault of the Drow), and Q1 (Queen of the Demonweb Pits).

Or a 'new' one for $500.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, I was translating the pregens into character sheets for the game today. One thing that's been confusing me is this: how do saves and attacks work for multiclassed character? If I'm a Fighter 5 / Magic-User 11, which to-hit chart do I use? Which save chart do I use?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Covok posted:

So, I was translating the pregens into character sheets for the game today. One thing that's been confusing me is this: how do saves and attacks work for multiclassed character? If I'm a Fighter 5 / Magic-User 11, which to-hit chart do I use? Which save chart do I use?

I was looking at the Elf F/Mu character in there and... I'm pretty sure it's not actually a legal character since I can't see how you could possibly end up with 5 levels of fighter and 11 of Magic-User while dividing your XP evenly between your classes like you're supposed to.

But anyway, let's assume that it's OK because it's in a published module. The answer to your question is that multiclassed characters (and dual classed, and bards) use the best save from all their classes. The relevant rules text is at the very bottom of the first column of page 79 of the DMG.

Attacks... I think are the same, a multiclassed character uses the best attack matrix. That's the way I remember playing it, but I can't find the actual rule (I did find one that says that bards attack at their fighter level though, so gently caress knows).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 28, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

I was looking at the Elf F/Mu character in there and... I'm pretty sure it's not actually a legal character since I can't see how you could possibly end up with 5 levels of fighter and 11 of Magic-User while dividing your XP evenly between your classes like you're supposed to.

But anyway, let's assume that it's OK because it's in a published module. The answer to your question is that multiclassed characters (and dual classed, and bards) use the best save from all their classes. The relevant rules text is at the very bottom of the first column of page 79 of the DMG.

Attacks... I think are the same, a multiclassed character uses the best attack matrix. That's the way I remember playing it, but I can't find the actual rule (I did find one that says that bards attack at their fighter level though, so gently caress knows).

Wait, I'm confused? Why would a pregenerated tournament be illegal? That'd be like the opposite of sense, in many ways. I'm guessing they go with the best of the saves as well?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I assume it's a human dual-classed character, where instead of spitting XP between two classes simultaneously, you start in one class then switch. AD&D!

Covok
May 27, 2013

whydirt posted:

I assume it's a human dual-classed character, where instead of spitting XP between two classes simultaneously, you start in one class then switch. AD&D!

Nope, it's an Elf.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mutliclassing and dual-classing are two different things in AD&D 1st edition, don't worry about it. Somebody probably meant to do Human.

It's been decades but I believe both types use the "best" value from between their two classes. Also, when you level up, you roll the appropriate hit die and then half it. But you'll be rolling twice as many hit dice (once for each class) so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Covok did you ever get your 1st edition DMG for magic items?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

What's the fighter level limit for elves in 1e? That might be it too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
According to the PHB, an Elf Fighter would be limited to level 5 if they have less than 17 STR, or level 6 if they have 17 STR exactly, or level 7 otherwise.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

whydirt posted:

What's the fighter level limit for elves in 1e? That might be it too.
Dont use those. Theres no reason at all to use them unless its a big part of your story/world.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

Dont use those. Theres no reason at all to use them unless its a big part of your story/world.

I think he's saying that might be why the pregen character is Fighter 5/MU 11

EDIT: level 11 Magic-User needs 375,001 exp. That much exp for a Fighter would take a Fighter to level 9. It's almost certainly capped by race.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 29, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah I'm just trying to explain the wonkiness of the pregens.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Covok posted:

Wait, I'm confused? Why would a pregenerated tournament be illegal? That'd be like the opposite of sense, in many ways. I'm guessing they go with the best of the saves as well?

Yeah, sorry I posted a confusing thing.

The answer to your original question is that multiclassed characters all use the best saving throw in each category. The rule for that is at the very bottom of the first column of page 79 of the DMG. I'm nearly sure that a multiclassed character uses the best attack matrix available to them. Clerics who multiclass explicitly can use edged weapons and Fighter/MUs can cast spells in armour, so it seems like the rule of thumb is "you take the best thing". Hit points are a special case with their own rule about how to do it, wich is on page 19 of the PHB.

Dual-classed human characters are a completely different thing and use separate rules which involve switching from one class to another. If you want to read about it, it's on page 33 of the PHB, but you can probably safely ignore the whole stupid loving mess if you're not running a campaign.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 29, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, in a way -- considering I did not have a good handle on the rules of AD&D -- it turned out the best it could: it didn't happen.

The event was scheduled as the last tournament of the night for my club in a 12 hour event. This is due to the fact they were expecting a lower turn out. Ironically, the gift we chose was arguably the most expensive gift: A players handbook for D&D Next. That's $50 when all the rest were more around $20. It's what happens when you go for thematic., I suppose. Thing is, last tournament starts at 12 am. As the treasurer, I was going to be there from 3pm to 3am regardless due to fundraising regulations, but, let's be honest, who is going to a D&D tournament at 12am? The answer: nobody. No one signed up, no tournament.

Funny thing is that I feel there were two other contributing factors: advertising as "Tomb of Horrors" and not "Dungeons & Dragons: Tomb of Horrors" and not mentioning the prize in the ad. Some people thought that it was a board game they never heard of. Regardless, I think the time killed for people.

Oddly enough, after reading over the rules for AD&D 1st editions, can I say the rules -- not tomb of horrors -- have a strange kind of retro appeal? I oddly wouldn't mind playing AD&D 1e, not Tomb of Horrors though.

As we still have the prize, we'll either raffle it at one of our meetings or just do the tournament at a later date.

Mutliclassing and dual-classing are two different things in AD&D 1st edition, don't worry about it. Somebody probably meant to do Human.

It's been decades but I believe both types use the "best" value from between their two classes. Also, when you level up, you roll the appropriate hit die and then half it. But you'll be rolling twice as many hit dice (once for each class) so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Covok did you ever get your 1st edition DMG for magic items?

Yeah, I got it.

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, sorry I posted a confusing thing.

The answer to your original question is that multiclassed characters all use the best saving throw in each category. The rule for that is at the very bottom of the first column of page 79 of the DMG. I'm nearly sure that a multiclassed character uses the best attack matrix available to them. Clerics who multiclass explicitly can use edged weapons and Fighter/MUs can cast spells in armour, so it seems like the rule of thumb is "you take the best thing". Hit points are a special case with their own rule about how to do it, wich is on page 19 of the PHB.

Dual-classed human characters are a completely different thing and use separate rules which involve switching from one class to another. If you want to read about it, it's on page 33 of the PHB, but you can probably safely ignore the whole stupid loving mess if you're not running a campaign.

I just ended up assuming as much.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think he's saying that might be why the pregen character is Fighter 5/MU 11

EDIT: level 11 Magic-User needs 375,001 exp. That much exp for a Fighter would take a Fighter to level 9. It's almost certainly capped by race.
I dont remember how they handled the different caps at all.

Were you supposed to keep splitting xp evenly even after one class maxed out? Ive never even witnessed a game that enforced racial level limits.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FRINGE posted:

I dont remember how they handled the different caps at all.

Were you supposed to keep splitting xp evenly even after one class maxed out? Ive never even witnessed a game that enforced racial level limits.

Yeah, I think the XP gets split and "lost" but I remember it not being totally clear.

I never saw a game with racial level limits either. Or to be fair, I played in a couple where they totally would be a thing and the games fell apart long before it ever happened.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

Oddly enough, after reading over the rules for AD&D 1st editions, can I say the rules -- not tomb of horrors -- have a strange kind of retro appeal? I oddly wouldn't mind playing AD&D 1e, not Tomb of Horrors though.

Shame about your tournament.

Also, I would suggest 2e instead of straight AD&D. Same retro feel with a bit more work put into narrative. You can still use AD&D modules and such with it too.

Plus, Planescape... :swoon:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Also, I would suggest 2e instead of straight AD&D. Same retro feel with a bit more work put into narrative. You can still use AD&D modules and such with it too.

If it doesn't include a Random Prostitute Encounter table, it's not real AD&D. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Moriatti posted:

Yeah the differences you "feel" between the two are almost non-existent but 2e's biggest feature was the amount of material that exists (or existed). Stat-wise all the 1e stuff was basically the same so no need to convert modules or character really. Just add some missing opportunities (like specialization and NWPs) and keep going.

Comrade Koba posted:

If it doesn't include a Random Prostitute Encounter table, it's not real AD&D. :colbert:
You can still use those, PLUS you can add your own tables for "how many arms does the prostitute have". Its a win-win.

• Locked thread