Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

adamantium|wang posted:

The question now is black or earth rims?

All my nids are based like that, and I use both to help distinguish my gaunt units. Not sure how useful that is for marines though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Black rims suck and look unfinished. Earth rims are the best.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The post of a man that is wrong.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Warhammer 40k: The Finer Points of Rimming.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

adamantium|wang posted:

The question now is black or earth rims?

The earth color gives it more warmth, which I feel helps bring the model together--particularly with the cracked earth color. Black makes it look cold and is a sharper contrast to the marine, and I think that's more to its detriment than anything else.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Khaki bases. Black looks odd.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I painted Minitaire Blood Stain Mud underneath mine the first time I tried it, and I think it turned out pretty well. Was going for a "the US is now almost completely a desert thanks to climate change" look. The small size of the crackling fits the scale, these are 15mm scale mechs on 60mm and 75mm bases

If you wanted to mix different colours in though, why not just buy crackle medium and use it with any colour paint you want?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I feel the need for an Public Service Announcement, and also I guess a cry for help because there is an IRL Scrunt in my house right now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Burn your house

burn everything

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Get out before he finds his helmet, GET OUT

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
exterminatus

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Rules for the FW Xiphon Fighter are out.
Those missiles are pretty nasty.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Do you remember Neville Chamberlain? That was the last time anyone was as wrong as you are.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Because leaving the bottom 10% of your model unpainted is so in right now.

Pfft - painted rims fo lyfe.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Do you remember Neville Chamberlain? That was the last time anyone was as wrong as you are.

:vince:

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Because leaving the bottom 10% of your model unpainted is so in right now.

Pfft - painted rims fo lyfe.

Agreed, I paint them black.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Unpainted rims look so bad they trigger me. Pulls an army together to paint rims.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
You guys must really hate ravenwing/iron hands/black legion/fallen aswell.

As the great philosopher Mick Jagger once said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zBG2TEjn4

But seriously, the reason rims should be black is that it is a very neutral colour. The rim shouldnt be subject to any focus what so ever. Unless it's pink. Don't do that either.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 27, 2015

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Black Rims 4 lyfe

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Gonna crosspost some black rims. Converted a set of deathmarks from an old set of Warriors, and used it as a tester for my eventual Black Legion scheme. Kinda wish that I started with black Necrons to start with; I quite like it.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Why the rims gotta be black yo?

(Paint them black)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Warhammer 40k: The Finer Points of Rimming.

black rimjobs are the wrost

and lol BULBASAUR

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Black Rims 4 lyfe

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Naramyth posted:

black rimjobs are the wrost

loving racist...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Painting your rims any other colour makes it look like the figure is standing on top of a tiny plateau.

Black Rim Jobs for Life.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lets start getting a bit more controversial...

totally black bases with a fully painted mini

yee/naw?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Gonna crosspost some black rims. Converted a set of deathmarks from an old set of Warriors, and used it as a tester for my eventual Black Legion scheme. Kinda wish that I started with black Necrons to start with; I quite like it.

I dig these.

Normally I'm not huge on painting black base rims, but on that Ultramarines scheme I think it works. Maybe a dark brown, like Rhinox Hide/Scorched Brown would do, but I really prefer the look of a black base rim over that khaki color.

Than again, half my bases are painted Goblin Green so what do I know.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

lets start getting a bit more controversial...

totally black bases with a fully painted mini

yee/naw?

gently caress you.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Painting rims to separate squads is baller tier.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Unpainted rims are like undrilled barrels. Don't be that guy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

panascope posted:

Painting rims to separate squads is baller tier.
Maybe a little stripe on the back of the base, but different colors is straight up silly looking.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Black rims 4 lyfe

They make the model look more like a showcase piece.

Also painting rims for squads is like having to put tactical/devastator markings on marines/rhinos. I applaud the dedication, hate the ensuing lack of flexibility.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
The correct answer in this specific case is Mournfang Brown on the rims and under the Agrellan.

Also a drybrush of bone on the actual crackles. And paint it on thicker.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 27, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DJ Dizzy posted:

Off topic but, history has actually been extremely unfair to him. You know all that "peace in our time" stuff? He didn't believe a word of it, which is why he was simultaneously massively ramping up the military. He was stalling for time.

What I'm saying is that you may mock me now, but one day I'll finish painting an army. Or something.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Anyone think there is truth to this three book rumour for AdMech?

Rumour was a mini codex for Skitarii (like the Scions book), a complete AdMech Codex, and then a painting/fluff book like the Knights one.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Miles O'Brian posted:

The correct answer in this specific case is Mournfang Brown on the rims and under the Agrellan.

Also a drybrush of bone on the actual crackles. And paint it on thicker.

As someone in the 'Paint 'em Black' camp, I also like this; It's dark enough to once again frame the miniature on top, but also looks complete.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

How are you guys doing the cracked earth base? One time on some warmahordes poo poo I used to use kitty litter that I wet and smushed down to get the same effect but it was a bitch to paint because oil.

Go black, man. Don't go back.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

gently caress you.

doing this for all my D&D minis

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

How are you guys doing the cracked earth base? One time on some warmahordes poo poo I used to use kitty litter that I wet and smushed down to get the same effect but it was a bitch to paint because oil.

Agrellan Eath technical paint.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TKIY posted:

Anyone think there is truth to this three book rumour for AdMech?

Rumour was a mini codex for Skitarii (like the Scions book), a complete AdMech Codex, and then a painting/fluff book like the Knights one.

I would think the AdMech codex and painting book is a definite just based on the same thing happening with Harlequins. The collectors edition needs a second book and its too new for the dlc book from other codexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DiHK posted:

If you like that look I'd really recommend Vallejo's crackle medium. I'm pretty sure all that is is Crackle medium.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 27, 2015

• Locked thread