Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Double seal at each end of the bag, never fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Does anyone have a great leg of lamb recipe? I picked up a boneless leg and since the wife is out of town I'm going to have a lamb party. I was think rub it with dijon mustard + rosemary then do 24 hours @ 135-140. This is just based off of a post I saw on reddit so if anyone has any experience with lamb I'd love to hear it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Whatever you do, I'd recommend being pretty enthusiastic about trimming the fat, ime it's a little gamey after a long cook.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

the yeti posted:

Whatever you do, I'd recommend being pretty enthusiastic about trimming the fat, ime it's a little gamey after a long cook.

Yeah for sure, I do the same when I roast or grill it. Love lamb but the fat can be overwhelming.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have to recommend a slow-roast for leg of lamb. The meat's so forgiving that you don't gain much from vizzle perfect temps and you get more crispies on the outside when you sear after it gets all dry in the oven for hours and hours. If I had to show a non-cook one easy meat preparation that would make normal people very, very happy, it'd be this one.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I don't agree with that. The beauty of s.v. with these sorts of cuts is that you can cook them medium rare but still get the same succulence and taste as you would if you did a braise or slow-roast - as it just takes longer to get the collagen to break down. It's about what you're going for in the end.

It's the same principle as to why short ribs done s.v. are the most superior.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 25, 2015

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rurutia posted:

I don't agree with that. The beauty of s.v. with these sorts of cuts is that you can cook them medium rare but still get the same succulence and taste as you would if you did a braise or slow-roast - as it just takes longer to get the collagen to break down. It's about what you're going for in the end.

It's the same principle as to why short ribs done s.v. are the most superior.
The principle with short ribs is that it's very chewy unless heated to 180 by normal cooking methods.

Texture isn't a problem for leg of lamb at any temp, especially not at the 140 degrees it tastes best at (IMO). Even Modernist Cuisine doesn't advocate holding it for longer than it takes to warm the meat, so I'm not sure what problem you're addressing here.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 25, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

For the greater good, I am now doing a test on un-sauteed onions at 85C. Will it explode and cover the scattered ruins of my neighbourhood in sweet browniness? Or will it just inflate the bag a bit but stay submerged due to the rock weighing it down? We shall see.

Also added a piece of star anise out of curiosity.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

No Wave posted:

The principle with short ribs is that it's very chewy unless heated to 180 by normal cooking methods.

Texture isn't a problem for leg of lamb at any temp, especially not at the 140 degrees it tastes best at (IMO). Even Modernist Cuisine doesn't advocate holding it for longer than it takes to warm the meat, so I'm not sure what problem you're addressing here.

I can't seem to find the MC section you're referring to. Would you mind posting it?

My point wasn't that you're necessarily addressing a problem, but again, what you're looking for. I disagreed that you don't gain much from s.v. I actually agree that slow roasting is a good technique for leg of lamb and I do enjoy the texture of it. If you want even succulence and that 'feels as soft as raw but tastes and comes apart like its cooked' kind of experience, I think it's pretty unique to the s.v. method. This was the principle for short ribs I was referring to, not the problem which prompted it.

I'm actually not sure how crispy the outside of your roast is if you're only bringing the middle to 140F using a slow roast. For me to do that, I usually have to do a very fast roast at extremely high oven temperatures. Personally, when I really want a very crispy outside but a very tender meat, I remove from s.v. let the inside cool, then grill/broil as hot as possible while monitoring the internal temp.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 26, 2015

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Choadmaster posted:

Yes. Drying mine out did not help. I contacted their tech support and (after having to explain what a gfci breaker does; they thought I might have too many appliances on the circuit...) they did a warranty replacement.

To follow up on this, the Anova rep I dealt with was great. No questions asked, I got a return shipping label with the promise that they'd ship a replacement as soon as the tracking info on the label indicated my dead one was en route.

Ed: Ticket submitted on the 21st, replacement in my kitchen on the 30th. Pretty rad service as far as I'm concerned.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 30, 2015

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Ola posted:

For the greater good, I am now doing a test on un-sauteed onions at 85C. Will it explode and cover the scattered ruins of my neighbourhood in sweet browniness? Or will it just inflate the bag a bit but stay submerged due to the rock weighing it down? We shall see.

Also added a piece of star anise out of curiosity.

Well, good luck. I've never had a bag explode, but they'll give off a ton of water vapour and make it puff up. It works much better if you briefly sautee them first.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How good do they taste? I wonder if it would be easier to put them into mason jars instead of bags.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I haven't done it either but a lot of recipes seem to use mason jars.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Result after 24 hours, hardly any ballooning:

There is a lot of volatiles escaping through the bags, the kitchen smelled of sweet onion all day, that's the case with all high temp vizzles I guess. Onion is deep brown, but the flavor is much less than the last time I tried. Could be because of the star anise, could be because 1/3rd was red onion. The star anise flavor was ok, perhaps a nice combo for a spicy fish dish, but you'll have more control over its impact by adding it to a sauce later. I'll try this one more time with only yellow onion, nothing more.

The reason I'd like to avoid sauteeing first is because then the onion gives off a lot of liquid and it can mess with my sealer. There is a tray to catch fluids but if the bag is too wet it doesn't seal properly.

About the flavor, while this one was a bit off, the onions usually come out excellent. Not so deep brown in color as when done in a pan, but very deep in flavor. You miss out the darkest shades of caramelization, so sometimes you can't avoid doing it in a pan. But like with so many other SV uses, it's nice to be able to get great consistent results with mindless effort.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rurutia posted:

I can't seem to find the MC section you're referring to. Would you mind posting it?

My point wasn't that you're necessarily addressing a problem, but again, what you're looking for. I disagreed that you don't gain much from s.v. I actually agree that slow roasting is a good technique for leg of lamb and I do enjoy the texture of it. If you want even succulence and that 'feels as soft as raw but tastes and comes apart like its cooked' kind of experience, I think it's pretty unique to the s.v. method. This was the principle for short ribs I was referring to, not the problem which prompted it.

I'm actually not sure how crispy the outside of your roast is if you're only bringing the middle to 140F using a slow roast. For me to do that, I usually have to do a very fast roast at extremely high oven temperatures. Personally, when I really want a very crispy outside but a very tender meat, I remove from s.v. let the inside cool, then grill/broil as hot as possible while monitoring the internal temp.
You rest it then give it a sear afterwards, just like your sv method, but there's far less moisture because it's had dry heat applied to it for hours...

MC page attached - cook lamb to core, as it's a tender meat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks, I was looking for a specific leg of lamb page. So you also disagree that any of those tender meats gain much (or has a different texture/taste/experience) when cooked sous vide vs. in the oven?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Woot has a sale on Foodsavers today, $60:

http://home.woot.com/offers/foodsaver-vacuum-food-sealer-starter-kit-2?ref=cnt_dly_tl

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

No Wave posted:

You rest it then give it a sear afterwards, just like your sv method, but there's far less moisture because it's had dry heat applied to it for hours...

MC page attached - cook lamb to core, as it's a tender meat.

What does it mean to cook to a "hotter-than-core" temperature?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rurutia posted:

Thanks, I was looking for a specific leg of lamb page. So you also disagree that any of those tender meats gain much (or has a different texture/taste/experience) when cooked sous vide vs. in the oven?
No, I think there's a good reason to cook most of them sous vide. Leg of lamb is a meat that I think tastes pretty great within a very wide spectrum of temps, which is why I think of it as a forgiving cut. It's a special case which maybe I should have been more clear about.

Lamb loin, for example, is much better mid-rare than medium (IMO) and is one of the poster children for sous-vide, as the gain in precision is worth the trade-off of a less dramatic sear. Something like hanger steak makes a lot of sense as well, because it's such an awkwardly shaped cut.

(As an aside, Cesar Ramirez of the michelin 3-star Brooklyn Fare didn't see the point of sous vide when slow-roasting gives similar results - he was cooking duck breast at the time, and probably being overdramatic)

Phanatic posted:

What does it mean to cook to a "hotter-than-core" temperature?
I'm going to assume it's a typo (MC has quite a few) and it means to set your liquid hotter than the core temp so the meat heats up more quickly - bumping up the water temp a few degrees makes it much faster to reach a specified core temp.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 27, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

No Wave posted:

No, I think there's a good reason to cook most of them sous vide. Leg of lamb is a meat that I think tastes pretty great within a very wide spectrum of temps, which is why I think of it as a forgiving cut. It's a special case which maybe I should have been more clear about.

Lamb loin, for example, is much better mid-rare than medium (IMO) and is one of the poster children for sous-vide, as the gain in precision is worth the trade-off of a less dramatic sear. Something like hanger steak makes a lot of sense as well, because it's such an awkwardly shaped cut.

(As an aside, Cesar Ramirez of the michelin 3-star Brooklyn Fare didn't see the point of sous vide when slow-roasting gives similar results - he was cooking duck breast at the time, and probably being overdramatic)

Hm, I think where we're differing is that to me 'different' is enough for the effort. Different is a substantial gain in and of itself when that's what you're looking for. I also do think the texture changes when you hold it for longer, I typically hold it for 24 when I do s.v. it. It's probably true that if you only hold it to temp, you gain exactly nothing. Anyways, most of the time, I actually just kabob mine and grill it because I'm lazy.

If I wasn't clear before, I agree that leg of lamb is forgiving and slow roasting is a solid method.

quote:

I'm going to assume it's a typo (MC has quite a few) and it means to set your liquid hotter than the core temp so the meat heats up more quickly - bumping up the water temp a few degrees makes it much faster to reach a specified core temp.

That's how I read it. If the goal is only to hit core temp, then it's a pretty often used method.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
My girlfriend's parents have decided to throw her a surprise bday party at my house. They brought a cured spiral sliced ham. The instructions say to cook for 2-3 hours at 275 f.

I would like to try sous vide on this thing because spiral sliced ham is stupid and dries out like crazy in an oven. I've got it in a bath at 160 right now.

Will it heat through as fast as it would in the oven? Any recommendations?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Juice Box Hero posted:

My girlfriend's parents have decided to throw her a surprise bday party at my house. They brought a cured spiral sliced ham. The instructions say to cook for 2-3 hours at 275 f.

I would like to try sous vide on this thing because spiral sliced ham is stupid and dries out like crazy in an oven. I've got it in a bath at 160 right now.

Will it heat through as fast as it would in the oven? Any recommendations?

How big is it? If it's more than about 4 inches thick you're going to want to pull it out, cut it in half, and get it back in the bath. It's going to take longer than in the oven.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

How big is it? If it's more than about 4 inches thick you're going to want to pull it out, cut it in half, and get it back in the bath. It's going to take longer than in the oven.

If it was precooked, I'd suggest doing it in the oven at 275 in a roasting pan, with a rack, win a cup of water in the bottom, wrapped in foil. Nice moist environment, and sv isn't really going to improve your ham, cooking it in an oven the right way could though.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Alright thanks. Moving to the oven!

E: I was moving it to the oven when I had a change of heart. I continued the sous vide cook for about two hours, then busted it open, glazed it, preheated the oven to 400, tossed it in, and turned the heat down to 200.
It came out fine. It was pretty big but it heated through very quickly in the bath. My guess is the spiral slice allowed the brine in the bag to carry heat to the bone throughout rapidly. I cooked it in its packaging from the store. I'm not a ham fan but I got a lot of compliments on it. It was definitely not dry.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 29, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So my anova one is throwing an "error" every time it tries to start circulating. Not sure whats going on but I'm in contact with anova support. In the event they don't offer a replacement to me, is the Anova Precision cooker a good choice is or the Anova One still the gold standard?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

So my anova one is throwing an "error" every time it tries to start circulating. Not sure whats going on but I'm in contact with anova support. In the event they don't offer a replacement to me, is the Anova Precision cooker a good choice is or the Anova One still the gold standard?

I absolutely adore my Anova Precision Cooker, use it frequently, and have never had an issue with it.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
For thick cut lamb chops--any reason I should use sous vide vs traditional sear and into oven for a couple min for hitting doneness?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

c0ldfuse posted:

For thick cut lamb chops--any reason I should use sous vide vs traditional sear and into oven for a couple min for hitting doneness?

Perfectly even doneness and exceptionally forgiving cook timing?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Idea for a simple sauce using sous vide eggs: Do the egg at a fairly low temp so the yolk is firm, but still spreadable. Reduce some wine with onions and herbs. Whisk eggs with wine, add some cream. Think it'll work? Going to try it tomorrow with some smoked salmon pasta, not sure if I am going to use only the yolk or the still-runny whites as well.

c0ldfuse posted:

Depends on how fat the lamb got. For very fatty cuts, I prefer the oven. The fat melts and drains off. If they're normal to lean, sous vide every time.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Sounds relatively similar to the sous vide chocolate pot de creme we made (minus the ridiculous amounts of chocolate). I think it'll work just fine for you, but let us know!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It didn't quite work. Did the egg at 65C, used only the yolk. It didn't thicken like raw eggs in pasta carbonara does. But the wine/onion reduction + eggs with pasta and smoked salmon was delicious, I'll just skip the sous vide step next time.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I put in some 24-hour pork spare ribs with a nice dry rub a few hours ago. I started them at 141 F, but since then I've been reading some accounts that you need to do spare ribs at 160ish or they come out tough.

Does anyone have any thoughts? If I should do them higher, I can turn up my circulator before I go to bed tonight.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Midniter posted:

I absolutely adore my Anova Precision Cooker, use it frequently, and have never had an issue with it.

Following on this, I busted my Sansaire last night (nothing to do with its build quality, was just something dumb that I did). I haven't really been following all the new ones that came out, if I'm buying a replacement is there a reason to go Anova over Sansaire or are there any other better options?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

StarkRavingMad posted:

Following on this, I busted my Sansaire last night (nothing to do with its build quality, was just something dumb that I did). I haven't really been following all the new ones that came out, if I'm buying a replacement is there a reason to go Anova over Sansaire or are there any other better options?

I only recently bought my Anova and I like it a lot. For me the deciding factor was the pot-clip bracket thing. Other than that I didn't see a significant difference in my little bit of research.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Word of advice, guys: be sure the pH of any marinades you include with your meat is relatively neutral when you vizzle. Otherwise the acid from your marinade (I used a wine reduction) will gently caress up your meat.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

WhiteHowler posted:

I put in some 24-hour pork spare ribs with a nice dry rub a few hours ago. I started them at 141 F, but since then I've been reading some accounts that you need to do spare ribs at 160ish or they come out tough.
I ended up leaving the spare ribs at 141 F for 24 hours, and they turned out just fine. Not falling off the bone, but not tough, either. They were quite tasty, and definitely worth the effort.

The dry rub imparted some flavor to the meat, but on its own seemed a bit tasteless, and the outer texture wasn't spectacular. I might try something different next time, maybe nothing before the sous vide and just a light brushing of BBQ sauce at the end and a couple of minutes in the oven.

Overall, success. Sous vide ribs are pretty awesome.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

Word of advice, guys: be sure the pH of any marinades you include with your meat is relatively neutral when you vizzle. Otherwise the acid from your marinade (I used a wine reduction) will gently caress up your meat.

What happened exactly? Did it get mushy or denature or something?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

WhiteHowler posted:

I ended up leaving the spare ribs at 141 F for 24 hours, and they turned out just fine. Not falling off the bone, but not tough, either. They were quite tasty, and definitely worth the effort.

The dry rub imparted some flavor to the meat, but on its own seemed a bit tasteless, and the outer texture wasn't spectacular. I might try something different next time, maybe nothing before the sous vide and just a light brushing of BBQ sauce at the end and a couple of minutes in the oven.

Overall, success. Sous vide ribs are pretty awesome.

Use some liquid smoke next time, and a little oil. Dry rubs don't really penetrate any extra in a vac bag.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Acid marinades will tenderize the meat, which is great for a regular marinade but bad if you're going to marinade then cook with the same acid for another 72h.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ultimate Mango posted:

Quite the opposite actually. It got all tough as if it'd been overcooked. These were duck breasts, BTW.

My solution was to add some baking soda and do taste-tests to check to see if the marinade was too tart. Once it tasted nice and neutral I poured it on the meat side of the duck breasts, vizzled for a couple hours, then took them out and seared. Nice and tender as if medium-rare, so that was apparently the solution.

I'll post photos later.