Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Anecdotally, Rep. Todd Young is a lot more well-known than Stutzman in the state.

Hello Towel has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So are Birch and Evan Indianan analogues to Mario and Andrew, then? The son coasting on his father's name and goodwill to get into office?

Evan actually had a residency challenge when he ran for his first political office, Secretary of State. He had spent most of his life living in (I believe) Virginia because his father is a Senator. Even his car was registered there. But an Indiana court ruled that he had always meant to return to Indiana so it is okay.

Birch Bayh also had a residency challenge in 1974 against a very nasty and negative campaign against then Indianapolis Mayor Richard Lugar. Republican activists challenged Bayh's residency at the precinct voting entrance, which was very close to the Bayh home and farm. They eventually relented and Bayh was allowed to cast his vote. In the shadow of Watergate, it was one of the closer elections that year with Bayh only winning by 50.7%. Lugar even lost Marion County as a sitting Indianapolis Mayor. Lugar would later run and win in 1976.

Evan currently rents some dumpy apartment on Indianapolis' north side to maintain residency and voting, which I'm sure he spends a lot of time in between his Fox News appearances and his beltway lobbying gigs.

Birch lives full time in Maryland and is with some law firm.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Tammy Duckworth has started fundraising for an Illinois Senate bid against Mark Kirk (and Joe Walsh :lol:).

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

Tammy Duckworth has started fundraising for an Illinois Senate bid against Mark Kirk (and Joe Walsh :lol:).

She's by far the most exciting Senate candidate this year. I think Mark Kirk should be very afraid.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Concerned Citizen posted:

She's by far the most exciting Senate candidate this year.

I don't know. I think Senator Harris is going to be pretty great.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

She's a good candidate, but she won't face serious opposition. But Tammy Duckworth is only 47 and a double amputee veteran of the Iraq War. And she's a very talented politician. Harris will be a good Senator, but Duckworth is a potential superstar. In a decade or so, she could be a VP or potentially even a formidable candidate for President herself.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

she could be a VP or potentially even a formidable candidate for President herself.

Going by Cruz rules here then I guess

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Riptor posted:

Going by Cruz rules here then I guess

Except she's sane, competent, has an incredible biography, great political skills, and she can raise a lot of money - even though she's only been a House candidate! She's a fantastic candidate, and given enough time to develop her resume she will be a force in the Democratic party. She's absolutely a rising star.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

She sounds like she has a concerning prosecutorial record like Coakley.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Harry Reid will retire after this term, making Nevada a likely Republican gain in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqPWTECMIQo

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Congratulations to Senator Sandoval.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Harry Reid will retire after this term, making Nevada a likely Republican gain in 2016.

Son of a bitch. Guess he saw the writing on the wall.

Plus, this makes Chuck loving Schumer Majority/Minority Leader, a choice that's arguably worse than Reid ever was.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Well, darn.

I know Reid gets a lot of poo poo in D&D foir not being the two-fisted crusader of proletariat, but as long as I have been following politics I have deeply admired the man: he's a skilled parliamentarian, did a good job of keeping his caucus in line, and perhaps most of all, was the greatest Trollmaster-General I have ever seen (sorry, Stockman). Here is my all-time favourite Reid moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOw9vMh8A6M

My big question now is: who is going to be the new Democratic Senate Leader? Will Durbin take it, or is he going to have a fight on his hands with Schumer?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Franco Potente posted:

Well, darn.

I know Reid gets a lot of poo poo in D&D foir not being the two-fisted crusader of proletariat, but as long as I have been following politics I have deeply admired the man: he's a skilled parliamentarian, did a good job of keeping his caucus in line, and perhaps most of all, was the greatest Trollmaster-General I have ever seen (sorry, Stockman). Here is my all-time favourite Reid moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOw9vMh8A6M

My big question now is: who is going to be the new Democratic Senate Leader? Will Durbin take it, or is he going to have a fight on his hands with Schumer?

Schumer is the favorite, Durbin the potential challenger. It's unknown if Durbin will seriously contest it, Schumer has been angling for this for years and had been quietly lining up support in 2010 in case Reid lost.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

damnit harry, Strom Up and bolt yourself into that miserable chair til the day you die

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

So the Senate is a lot less likely to go back to the Democratic party in 2016 now and the Democratic party gets a shittier leader?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Potential Democratic candidates for NV Sen: former Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto (said to be Reid's pick), former Secretary of State Ross Miller, and Rep. Dina Titus.

Sandoval would still be the biggest get for the Republicans in that race, but there's also Rep. Joe Heck. Last term when the Republicans were filibustering all judicial confirmations (prior to the rules change) Reid decided to hold up Heck's promotion to Brigadier General in the Army Reserve.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mitt Romney posted:

So the Senate is a lot less likely to go back to the Democratic party in 2016 now and the Democratic party gets a shittier leader?
Certainly seems that way.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Why is the Nevada seat considered a likely Republican pickup - it's a Presidential year and Obama carried it in 2008 and 2012. Is the local bench simply that weak?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Except she's sane, competent, has an incredible biography, great political skills, and she can raise a lot of money - even though she's only been a House candidate! She's a fantastic candidate, and given enough time to develop her resume she will be a force in the Democratic party. She's absolutely a rising star.

My point is she was born in Thailand

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Why is the Nevada seat considered a likely Republican pickup - it's a Presidential year and Obama carried it in 2008 and 2012. Is the local bench simply that weak?

It's more that Sandoval is very strong and would've stood a good chance at taking the seat even if Reid had run.

Without the virtues of incumbency and leadership, they don't have anybody who could put up much of a fight against Sandoval and, even if he doesn't run, will have a hard time in a state that trends R in statewides.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

evilweasel posted:

Yes, and also Sandoval is going to run and has approval ratings in the high 60s.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Riptor posted:

Ted Cruz clause: her dad was American

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
For perspective, Brian Sandoval won re-election in 2014 with 70.6% of the vote. I don't care how weak his opponent was, that is a ridiculously high number. Republican governors in the deep south don't even win that big.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Ted Cruz clause: her dad was American

yes thats the point i was making in the first place

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mitt Romney posted:

Correct. That means the Dems need 5 pickups rather than 4 since Nevada is a lock for Sandoval. The viable path to this is Illinois, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, ??? (Grassley, Portman, Burr and Ayotte would be next given their states, but they're all relatively popular incumbents who are unlikely to lose; and :lol: if you think the Florida Democratic Party has anyone good enough to kick out Rubio)

Meanwhile Democrats still have to defend Bennet in Colorado. The Democrats are unlikely to do worse than their 46-54 split today, but their path to even 50-50 is tough.

ComradeCosmobot has issued a correction as of 15:34 on Mar 27, 2015

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Correct. That means the Dems need 5 pickups rather than 4 since Nevada is a lock for Sandoval. The viable path to this is Illinois, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, ??? (Grassley, Portman, Burr and Ayotte would be next given their states, but they're all highly popular incumbents who are unlikely to lose; and :lol: if you think the Florida Democratic Party has anyone good enough to kick out Rubio)

I know i've brought this up before, but I am not so sure Ayotte is as bulletproof as people make her out to be. She won a pretty big victory in 2010, but that was a Tea Party midterm. Things'll be tougher for her in a presidential year, and I'm pretty sure the Dems are trying to recruit Governor Hassan, who is likewise popular. If they manage to get Maggie, I see that race being a total tossup.

Granted, this doesn't answer the question of where the Dems find their fifth seat. Maybe if Portman has a particularly bruising primary, Strickland might snake him. Or maybe Matheson will ride in on his white horse and unseat Lee in Utah :lol:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
IIRC Portman has sub-50% name recognition in Ohio and the Democrats recruited Strickland to run against him. It'll be a close race, but it's winnable for the Democrats.

Ayotte in New Hampshire is also vulnerable, if the Democrats can get a good challenger. Maybe Scott Brown will decide that he's always been a Democrat, in his heart.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Goddammit, Harry:

Reid Endorses Schumer for Democratic Senate Leader

Judging by what folks have said in this thread, it sounded like a done deal anyway, but I just can't believe we're swapping out Reid for Schumer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Reid also endorsed former Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto and spoke with her this morning, so that's your likely NV Dem Sen candidate.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Reid also endorsed former Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto and spoke with her this morning, so that's your likely NV Dem Sen candidate.

Anyone know anything about her? Does she have a shot at winning (say Sandoval gets Mike Castle'd)?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Of course we get Schumer. drat.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, it's a caucus decision. Reid's endorsement will carry weigh, especially if Durbin (and Murray!) really does stand down, but Chuck's still got to get his colleagues to agree. And that decision isn't for another 22 months. A lot could change.

Also: Chuck will first have to win re-election in 2016. :v:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Joementum posted:

Also: Chuck will first have to win re-election in 2016. :v:

im zephyr teachout and for senate i endorse my twin brother, gloaming teachout

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Correct. That means the Dems need 5 pickups rather than 4 since Nevada is a lock for Sandoval. The viable path to this is Illinois, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, ??? (Grassley, Portman, Burr and Ayotte would be next given their states, but they're all relatively popular incumbents who are unlikely to lose; and :lol: if you think the Florida Democratic Party has anyone good enough to kick out Rubio)

Meanwhile Democrats still have to defend Bennet in Colorado. The Democrats are unlikely to do worse than their 46-54 split today, but their path to even 50-50 is tough.

It's possible that Rubio keeps his promise and doesn't run because of his ill-advised run for the 2016 nomination. If so I'm sure the Florida Democratic Party will find a way to gently caress it all up anyway. Though running in 2016 could be enough to boost a Democrat into office. We'll get Alex Sink/Charlie Crist, round 3, instead though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crist already said he's not running. I guess it may be Murphy from Broward.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Riptor posted:

I'd rather have a Thai infiltrator than a Canadian infiltrator.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
I'm going to go against the trend on this thread and predict that Reid's seat will stay Democratic, for four reasons.

1) Whoever the Dem candidate is (probably Catherine Cortez Masto, who has won two statewide races) will have Reid's Nevada machine and his nationwide political network to help them.

2) The Republican field isn't as strong as it seems. Sandoval has been angering the far-right Nevada GOP (and Grover Norquist hates him), and it's not even clear if Sandoval wants to run. Anyone else will run into Reid's buzzsaw, and won't have the benefit against running against Reid himself (who can be portrayed as a Washington insider).

3) It's a presidential year with presidential turnout. That always helps the Democrats.

4) The Nevada GOP are still in their little civil war, so unless Sandoval can get everyone to sit down and shut up and vote for a single candidate, they're going to spend time, media attention, and money trying to out-conservative themselves.

I think the Nevada GOP can win, but I don't think they're favored, especially if they can't get Sandoval (who's apparently more interested in executive jobs anyway).

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
while we can't technically we can't say 100%, there is a 99.9998% chance Sandoval runs for and wins the Senate seat from Nevada. The only thing that can stop it is a major scandal happening about his administration before then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gygaxian posted:

I'm going to go against the trend on this thread and predict that Reid's seat will stay Democratic, for four reasons.

1) Whoever the Dem candidate is (probably Catherine Cortez Masto, who has won two statewide races) will have Reid's Nevada machine and his nationwide political network to help them.

2) The Republican field isn't as strong as it seems. Sandoval has been angering the far-right Nevada GOP (and Grover Norquist hates him), and it's not even clear if Sandoval wants to run. Anyone else will run into Reid's buzzsaw, and won't have the benefit against running against Reid himself (who can be portrayed as a Washington insider).

3) It's a presidential year with presidential turnout. That always helps the Democrats.

4) The Nevada GOP are still in their little civil war, so unless Sandoval can get everyone to sit down and shut up and vote for a single candidate, they're going to spend time, media attention, and money trying to out-conservative themselves.

I think the Nevada GOP can win, but I don't think they're favored, especially if they can't get Sandoval (who's apparently more interested in executive jobs anyway).

I would give Dems the advantage, but in 2012 Obama won the state by nearly 7 points and we still ended up with Sen. Heller. It's going to be tough for sure.

• Locked thread