Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

the_american_dream posted:

How heavily do you guys weigh projected AB's? Do you consider them at all?

Depends on the league settings I guess. In a classic Roto league you should probably be worried about overall yearly production. So if Tulo puts up 30 HR from SS in 120 games then you are doing pretty well in the SS spot even though he's missing a lot of ABs compared to Ben Zobrist.

In a H2H league however, I would take injury prone players a bit more seriously as once you get to the playoffs it doesn't matter what your players have done in the past. Tulo's 30 HRs are meaningless when he's on the IR and you are starting Yunel Escobar or something.

That's really the only way I'd look at projected ABs is from an injury standpoint, but then again it's pretty tough to accurately predict who's going to get injured.

I wouldn't trust projected ABs at all for a prospect much, so much variability there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thanks and yea im looking at H2H so I'm probably taking a look at AB's.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Are there any crash course articles out there that go over the general concept and strategies of fantasy baseball? I'm probably taking over a team for someone and know very little about fantasy baseball and I don't follow baseball much outside of the local team. :I

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

drizzle posted:

Are there any crash course articles out there that go over the general concept and strategies of fantasy baseball? I'm probably taking over a team for someone and know very little about fantasy baseball and I don't follow baseball much outside of the local team. :I

If you're doing head to head I started a blog this season where I'll be talking about my head to head strategy. Here's a post I wrote with a few strategies for a head to head draft: http://head2win.com/2015/03/24/head-to-head-draft-strategy/

I also wrote about some of the resources I use: http://head2win.com/2015/03/23/what-fantasy-resources-do-i-use/

I've played fantasy baseball for a long time but I'm new to writing about it. Use these as a jump off to find more experienced writers and experts.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Very cool thanks man

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Subscribed as well :)

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

Thanks guys! I have a 14 team auction this Saturday so I'll be writing about that these next two days.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Edit: League's filled.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 28, 2015

Krazee Eyez Killa
Feb 16, 2007
I'll take Team Poopsock. Email is dcraighton4182@yahoo.com

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I lamented my dynasty draft earlier. It was with other FantasyPros news desk correspondents. We're now doing analysis if anyone is interested:

http://www.fantasypros.com/2015/03/fantasypros-news-desk-draft-analysis-rounds-1-6

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Ok... gently caress Yahoo.

Mid-April now for PRO leagues. :wtf: :argh:

My buddy and I are looking to join a 12 team H2H 5x5 snake redraft league with around a $25 buy-in. We were waiting for the pro leagues, but gently caress that noise. Anyone got 2 openings in a league like that?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I don't think you could join the same Pro league anyway. I think they just randomly assign you to a league or people would be able to collude too easily.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
Can't even play a full year of roto in a Yahoo pro league this year? What the hell Yahoo!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just traded McCann + Zobrist for Reyes, not sure if that's a great deal or not, but its definitely an upgrade at SS and I didn't need two catchers on my roster so now I can pickup another SP.

I like my lineup for now.

Mesoraco
Rizzo
Kinsler
Reyes
Donaldson
Braun
Carlos Gonzalez
Kemp
Pujols
Votto

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

DoctaFun posted:

Just traded McCann + Zobrist for Reyes, not sure if that's a great deal or not, but its definitely an upgrade at SS and I didn't need two catchers on my roster so now I can pickup another SP.

I like my lineup for now.

I like it for you, McCann was expendable with Mesoraco on your roster, and Zobrist is worthless, so I think you did well here.

Schweinhund posted:

I don't think you could join the same Pro league anyway. I think they just randomly assign you to a league,

That's simply not true. We were in the same Pro league last year.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I like it for you, McCann was expendable with Mesoraco on your roster, and Zobrist is worthless, so I think you did well here.

Why do you consider Zobrist to be a worthless fantasy bet this season? He's still an above-average player with a bunch of position eligibility. I'm not saying you're wrong here, I'm just curious.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Senf posted:

Why do you consider Zobrist to be a worthless fantasy bet this season? He's still an above-average player with a bunch of position eligibility. I'm not saying you're wrong here, I'm just curious.

The positional eligibility is nice, but his power and speed have been declining, and moving to Oakland certainly isn't going to help his numbers. He might be ok as a bench/utility fill-in guy, but I certainly wouldn't want him as a starter on my fantasy team. I would not be surprised at all if he doesn't crack double digits in HR or SB.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Welp, my buddy talked me into doing another snap draft league tonight. I think I like this team? really like my pitching, not crazy about the OF.

C: Russell Martin
1B: Jose Abreu
2B: Kolten Wong
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Hanley Ramirez
OF: Bryce Harper
OF: Corey Dickerson
OF: Jason Heyward
UTIL: Leonys Martin
UTIL: Rusney Castillo
BN: Aaron Hill

SP: Zimmerman / Samardzija / Carrasco / Archer / Wacha / Rodon / Kuechel
RP: Storen / Casilla / Boxberger / Soria / Nathan

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Yahoo's fantasy sports department is basically going to poo poo. They didn't have the soccer World Cup pickem up until like 5 days before the tournament started. Now the pro leagues are starting late. It's just incredible incompetence. Were they somehow caught off guard by the fact that major league baseball would be played this season?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Is CBS the only place left now for money leagues with randos? I'd be a lot more okay with it if Their interface wasn't terrible.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Doing my first ever auction draft. It's a slow draft over like a week with 24 hour window on initial nominations and 12 hour windows after every bid on a player. Holy poo poo. I fully support bidding up players but there is 2 guys, especially one, who I am pretty sure sits there all day and does nothing but bid up players. Bye bye values :( Next time I want to do a real-time auction draft so this guy doesnt have as much time to think about bidding up players. HEY GUY YOU'RE RUINING MY VALUE PLAYS BRO

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

CancerStick posted:

Doing my first ever auction draft. It's a slow draft over like a week with 24 hour window on initial nominations and 12 hour windows after every bid on a player. Holy poo poo. I fully support bidding up players but there is 2 guys, especially one, who I am pretty sure sits there all day and does nothing but bid up players. Bye bye values :( Next time I want to do a real-time auction draft so this guy doesnt have as much time to think about bidding up players. HEY GUY YOU'RE RUINING MY VALUE PLAYS BRO

That sounds like it could take one million years. Real time auction drafts take long enough!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

JackssWastedLife posted:

That sounds like it could take one million years. Real time auction drafts take long enough!

Yeah, that sounds awful. good luck finishing that draft in time for the season!

------

If anyone is looking for a $25 12-team H2H 5x5 league on yahoo, I've joined one that drafts Tuesday at 8 pm cst. Still about 6 spots open. If you look under custom leagues, the league name is Springfield Isotopes.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/145346

Buy-in and payouts handled through LeagueSafe.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Keeper question. I'm in a 10 team H2H with R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OBP/SLG. I can keep either Molina, Fielder, or Braun in the 18th round, who should I go for?

e: my other keepers are Altuve in the 6th and Hamilton in the 20th. Rosters are standard starting 9 (3 OF instead of L/C/R), an IF, and two UTIL

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 28, 2015

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

fielder, and which hamilton?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Billy

all the steals :getin:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Keeper question. I'm in a 10 team H2H with R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OBP/SLG. I can keep either Molina, Fielder, or Braun in the 18th round, who should I go for?

e: my other keepers are Altuve in the 6th and Hamilton in the 20th. Rosters are standard starting 9 (3 OF instead of L/C/R), an IF, and two UTIL

Braun, easily. Fielder sucks, including this spring. Molina isn't even a consideration.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

Braun, easily. Fielder sucks, including this spring. Molina isn't even a consideration.

I agree. Braun by a mile over Fielder.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

JackssWastedLife posted:

I agree. Braun by a mile over Fielder.

Thirded.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fourthed

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Well, that settles that then..

I guess I'm just salty on Braun because I was all excited to get him as a bargain keeper when someone dropped him after the PED stuff and it hasn't yet worked out like I envisioned, but I'd have to imagine that objectively he's the best option of the three. thx bros :respek:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Braun couldn't feel his thumb last year and still put up near 800 OPS. Dude is good at baseball (and being a complete rear end in a top hat).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Just finished my dynasty-lite draft, looking for thoughts on my draft (try to ignore the keepers, I know I'm stacked). 12 teams, ten keepers between seasons at no cost, 6x6 h2h with OPS and QS added. Also, prospects aren't supposed to be available until they actually make the big leagues but, well, yahoo fucks up sometimes (as you will see). I picked 12th in a snake.

I plan on streaming pitching (obviously) though I'll probably try to add a fourth SP to stay on my roster.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

CancerStick posted:

Why not just stick those guys with all the players they're bidding up, max out their rosters, and then get to the real draft?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

2 or 3 spots left in this money league!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

If anyone is looking for a $25 12-team H2H 5x5 league on yahoo, I've joined one that drafts Tuesday at 8 pm cst. Still about 6 spots open. If you look under custom leagues, the league name is Springfield Isotopes.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/145346

Buy-in and payouts handled through LeagueSafe.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

I had a 14 team mixed h2h auction yesterday. Weekly rosters. I had two keepers. Scoring is 6x6 with OPS and Quality Starts as the extra categories. Here's how it went.

C Yasmani Grandal $9
1B Adrian Gonzalez $27
2B Rougned Odor $2
SS Andrelton Simmons $1
3B Josh Donaldson $33
OF Mike Trout $67
OF Bryce Harper $33
OF Jason Heyward $20
UTIL Carlos Santana $21
BE Mike Napoli $2
BE Alex Guererro $1

SP Max Scherzer $12 (KEEPER PRICE)
SP Corey Kluber $1 (KEEPER PRICE
SP/RP Alex Wood $10
SP Andrew Cashner $7
SP Jared Weaver $4
SP Matt Shoemaker $2
SP/RP Anthony DeSclafani $2
Bench
SP Shane Greene $1
SP Brandon McCarthy $1
RP Ken Giles $1
SP/RP Zach McAllister $2

This is a league with weekly FAB every Sunday at 10AM PST. I made some definite mistakes. I thought for sure I was bidding up a Harper fan only to get stuck with him. OF is so deep on the wire in these leagues, probably should have just waited after Trout (but I sure love me some Heyward this year). Waited too long on MI so I'm really hoping Guererro gets a defined role soon. Grandal's price seems high to me based on what I've seen in other drafts. Jaso went for $2 early which would have been nice.

I'm really happy with my pitching. Wood and DeSclafani will be in the RP slots, I punted saves.

I COULD have kept Goldschmidt and Jose Abreu for $15 apiece but the entry fee for this league is low and I wanted to experiment with spending a low percentage of my budget on pitching. Especially since I have two top 10 starters for $13.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Doesn't using 2 keeper slots on pitching kind of subvert that experiment anyway though? I don't really get doing that but you have trout so you should win so whatever.

Also, I will never ever get punting saves. Guys like Alex Wood and Cashner, there will be pitchers like those (and better) on waivers. Just use that cash to draft a couple closers.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 29, 2015

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

edit: Quality starts is the extra scoring category and this is head to head. Saves are like wins when it comes to predicting when they'll happen on a weekly basis. I'd rather have more quality starts which gives me a shot at those hard to predict wins.

Schweinhund posted:

Doesn't using 2 keeper slots on pitching kind of subvert that experiment anyway though? I don't really get doing that but you have trout so you should win so whatever.

I guess so? What I was trying to do was build a cheap staff around 2 elite keepers at the position.

insideoutsider fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 29, 2015

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Schweinhund posted:

Also, I will never ever get punting saves.

Same. Not prioritizing it is fine, but punting it altogether just strikes me as a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainguy
Jan 25, 2007

Why be Toolsy when you can be Gumby
i did a thing - QS not wins, 5 OF, 1 Util, a 1b/3b and 2b/ss
code:
5	Clayton Kershaw, LAD SP  
18	Ryan Braun, Mil OF  
27	Bryce Harper, Wsh OF  
40	Starling Marte, Pit OF  
49	Matt Kemp, SD OF