Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tynam
May 14, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

gently caress it, I'm buying a shaker. Is there a good set to get, or is it like knives where all the sets are full of bloat?

There isn't much variance between brands. Some are made consistently "better" in that they fit together better and have less leakage, or aren't as prone to breaking (boston shakers). Getting a nice expensive set is drat nice to have, but only if you plan on actually playing with it beyond parties.

I personally like boston shakers since the glass doubles as a stirring glass, and i can strain from it directly as well. I ended up buying a Schott Zwiesel boston shaker since I really liked the clean look of it.

Whatever you end up buying, consider picking up a strainer, stirring spoon and jigger while you're at it. If you're going to start mixing drinks, you might as well do it somewhat properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
So I'm getting married at the end of April, and I'm looking for an easy-to-drink cocktail our bartenders can make at the reception. Only requirement is that the drink is purple(ish) with some green (lime wedges?) thrown in if possible. Any suggestions would be great!

tynam
May 14, 2007
After looking up different creme de violette cocktails I came across this one, and it looks like it'll work:

Violet Sparkler
(created by Cocktail Buzz)

Ingredients
1/2–1 teaspoon crème de violette (your taste buds will let you know)
3 ounces sparkling Grüner Veltliner (Punkt Genau), or other sparkling wine

Really easy to make and it sounds like it'll taste great too. Sparkling wine is always appropriate for weddings and it'll look classy in flutes/coupes. No idea how to add the green to it though. You can try adding a lime peel to curl off the edge of the flute? Or you can get really fancy and try layering something on top, pousse-cafe style.

Or you can just go with an Aviation with the maraschino cherries dyed with green food coloring as garnish. Not as easy to drink though.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

KracKiwi posted:

So I'm getting married at the end of April, and I'm looking for an easy-to-drink cocktail our bartenders can make at the reception. Only requirement is that the drink is purple(ish) with some green (lime wedges?) thrown in if possible. Any suggestions would be great!

Comedy option: cosmos with lime wheels

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I would probably steer clear of creme de violette though honestly. I feel like you'd need too much of it to get it purple enough, and that wouldn't taste good. Maybe pom vodka, cranberry, lemon, grenadine, and a mint leaf garnish

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

slut chan posted:

I've been wanting to try a white whiskey recently. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced bottle? Actually worth it? I know that market is a little saturated with bullshit.

Also, if it isn't just a gimmick, any good cocktails to make with it?

So, I got a bottle of Dickel's white corn whiskey.

I've had it on the rocks and neat. It's interesting. I'm not getting any inspiration on what else I could do with it though.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

slut chan posted:

So, I got a bottle of Dickel's white corn whiskey.

I've had it on the rocks and neat. It's interesting. I'm not getting any inspiration on what else I could do with it though.

I'm not a big fan of white whiskey in general. Try it martini style with dry vermouth and orange bitters, or try a caipirinha type drink

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

New tender working alone at my favorite bar on a busy night. Decided to test her and gave the request to surprise me with gin. Without missing a beat, she took a few discrete seconds on her iphone and promptly mixed up a gin hound. And it was delicious.

Anybody enthusiastically going for the vermouth and grapefruit gets my approval.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That looks good. I'm going to have to ask for that next time I'm at the fancy cocktail place in town. There are a few bars I like in this college town, but one of them has a bartender that has known every drink I've ever asked for there. Which is good, because I usually don't remember all the ingredients, or the proportions. He even made a Ramos fizz for somebody I was with. I wasn't expecting anybody to keep egg whites around. I kind of thought there would be a health department issue.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That looks good. I'm going to have to ask for that next time I'm at the fancy cocktail place in town. There are a few bars I like in this college town, but one of them has a bartender that has known every drink I've ever asked for there. Which is good, because I usually don't remember all the ingredients, or the proportions. He even made a Ramos fizz for somebody I was with. I wasn't expecting anybody to keep egg whites around. I kind of thought there would be a health department issue.

Eggs are pretty common in many restaurants.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, yeah, but who wants to have the kitchen separate an egg white and bring it out when you've got a busy bar?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

The Maestro posted:

I'm not a big fan of white whiskey in general. Try it martini style with dry vermouth and orange bitters, or try a caipirinha type drink

Those actually both sound good. Thanks!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, yeah, but who wants to have the kitchen separate an egg white and bring it out when you've got a busy bar?

http://smallscreennetwork.com/video/270/ssn_raising_the_bar_egg_shaking_640x360/

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I can't find a photo right now, but I got an email from a local restaurant mentioning that through the end of the month they'd be serving bottled Ramos Gin Fizzes. Knowing it's a favorite of this thread, I thought I'd ask: how probable is it that this will actually turn out to be as good as the ones you've gotten handmade, or indeed made yourselves?

E: found and rehosted the photo:

the email says something about a 12-minute wait for one? Is this true?

gamingCaffeinator fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 24, 2015

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Considering they are made with egg white, I can't imagine they hold up well bottled at all.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
And if they're prebottling, why would there be any wait at all?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We keep egg white on deck in a squeeze bottle

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Also there are stabilizers you could use to keep the mix from separating; alternatively, they could just make one hell of a batch, blitz it up in a blender with a bit of water, decant, and chill. For service, you would pop the crown, decant into a glass over soda, and hope it fizzes up nice.

Me, I think the bartender sweat is the tastiest part of the drink. Especially when you rail it down and ask for seconds.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Maestro posted:

We keep egg white on deck in a squeeze bottle

That's what I'd guess they do too. I just wasn't expecting any place in this town to do that. This is probably the best cocktail place in the city, but it's a college town. Half of the bartenders in this town wouldn't know how to make an old fashioned. I also thought that health departments would have some sort of knee-jerk "no raw egg of any kind" policy.

Honestly, though, I've tried most of the gin cocktails I can remember when I go to a bar. It's not that many, but as many as I can. I've had a Red Lion, Pegu Club, Martini, Sweet Martini, Ramos Fizz, a couple house specialty cocktails, but I haven't found anything I like as much as a G&T or Gimlet.

fake edit: Actually, put the French 75 on that favorite list. That's probably my favorite overall, but it's basically two drinks in one so I have to be careful about it.

tynam
May 14, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I also thought that health departments would have some sort of knee-jerk "no raw egg of any kind" policy.

This has actually been the majority of my experience with raw egg at bars. Most of the better ones will try to carry at least powdered egg whites to make drinks with.

For gin cocktails, give a Corpse Reviver #2, Aviation and Last Word a shot too. Three of my favorite drinks, all with gin.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Huh, at every place I've been that has cocktails with egg available, they've just cracked an egg for it.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I think for most health departments you just have to put some warning somewhere saying consuming raw egg/meat can get you sick.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Last Words are incredible. Sloe gin fizzes are great too, and for simple but classic, Bees Knees are tasty. One of our more popular drinks from the last menu was gin, muddled blackberry, simple, st Germain, lemon, and egg white. Absolutely gorgeous drink and so delicious too

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Speaking of Last Words, what absinthes are good for cocktails? I mostly just keep Herbsaint around.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I like Pacifique and it's not too terribly expensive. St. George is supposed to be good too and you can buy it in smaller 200mL size.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
so, my enabler of a mother bought me these

Thinking a manhattan.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Herbsaint is serviceable but it's not a true absinthe. St George and Pacifique are both great, but if you're willing to spend a little more and can find it, Vieux Pontarlier is my favorite of the ones I've tried.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
How do you guys feel about Calvados vs. Applejack?

Is Applejack suitable for mixing? There's a pretty large price difference

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Cool. I'm thinking they'd be delicious in a modified Left Hand cocktail instead of the chocolate bitters. 1.5 oz good bourbon, .75 oz each campari and sweet vermouth, 2 dashes (Aztec chocolate) bitters, stir and strain. Or try it with scotch like the site suggests - a Rob Roy would suit you well as its a Manhattan with scotch rather than bourbon or rye. Probably be delicious with repo tequila, a well aged rum, or a nice mezcal

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

How do you guys feel about Calvados vs. Applejack?

Is Applejack suitable for mixing? There's a pretty large price difference

Applejack is great for mixing but keep in mind it is blended with neutral grain spirit. Lairds bottled in bond Apple brandy will be the real deal and more comparable to calvados. I'd rather drink calvados straight and mix with applejack. It just doesn't have the same in your face Apple kick. One of my creations I'm most proud of is 1.5 oz rye, .5 oz each of applejack, sweet vermouth, yellow chartreuse, and a couple muddled cardamom pods. Stir, strain, orange twist, and sink .25 oz of Lillet rouge if you have it. Gorgeous, bracing, slightly sweet, very strong.

On that note I tried infusing a few cardamom pods in campari yesterday and it is turning out absolutely delicious. I'm gonna give it another day. I always add a few dashes of scrappys cardamom bitters to my negronis at home, so i figured I'd cut out the middle man.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Y'know, I really have been happier with cheap calvados (namely Berneroy) than with anything I've gotten from Laird's.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Maestro posted:

Last Words are incredible. Sloe gin fizzes are great too, and for simple but classic, Bees Knees are tasty. One of our more popular drinks from the last menu was gin, muddled blackberry, simple, st Germain, lemon, and egg white. Absolutely gorgeous drink and so delicious too

Those all sound good. Does the last word have absinthe, though? The Wikipedia page doesn't list it. I'm iffy on anise.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Y'know, I really have been happier with cheap calvados (namely Berneroy) than with anything I've gotten from Laird's.

Agreed with this. I bought Berneroy mostly for the price point, and it turned out to be quite tasty and apple-y.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
No absinthe in a last word, pretty sure the earlier poster mixed it up with the corpse reviver #2, which was also mentioned and like the last word is an mix of herbaceous/sweet/sour awesomeness that has no right to be so good for how simple it is.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's amazing how the passage of time fails to render this opinion any less incorrect.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I've started trying Negronis and Americanos with Punt E Mes and Aperol instead of Dolin Rouge and Campari. It's an excellent variation - the Aperol is sweeter than the Campari, but the Punt E Mes is more bitter than the sweet vermouth, so you still have that same kind of balance, but with the different flavors Aperol and Punt E Mes bring to the table. I highly recommend trying it if you have some around - I haven't had much Punt E Mes until now but I see it having a much more prominent place in my cabinet going forward.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kenning posted:

It's amazing how the passage of time fails to render this opinion any less incorrect.
When Laird's BIB becomes available around here I will give it a shot, but until then I refuse to be shamed for not enjoying the apple-ish vodka that is everything else they sell.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I'm not sure if this is common or not, but a couple of the apple orchards near me product and sell their own apple jack. The strong apple flavor is wonderful, though the proof is between 20-30%, leaving it on the weak side. If you ever seen some at a local orchard, give it a try.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

20 or 30 proof, or 20 or 30 percent? 20 or 30 percent isn't too bad. Still weaker than the average liquor, but my impression is 20-30% is pretty average for a liqueur, is that not right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E: Derp, you typed liqueur :downs: