Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

RadioPassive posted:

I'm looking for a KLR. I emailed this ad to ask if there's a reason it was never ridden, and he replied with "3 bikes and no time to ride. Too dang busy working all the time..."

Thoughts? Suspicious? Any major issues from letting it sit unridden other than needing fresh oil/gas/tires?

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

If it sits for a long time won't the carbs get gunked up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Radbot posted:

That seems a bit high to me. What are brand new KLRs, like $6k?

$6500, there are dealerships listing new old stock 2013 models for $5500 around here (Boston). I emailed to ask if he'd go for $4000.

Mostly just wondering if there's a possibility of some sort of scam or catch here that I'm not familiar with. Like odometer rollback or a replaced engine or something fishy. It's not often I see a used bike with literally one mile on it (photo in the ad of the odometer shows 1.2 miles) and I'm constantly paranoid of craigslist.

builds character posted:

If it sits for a long time won't the carbs get gunked up?

Probably. But I'm mechanically inclined and I don't mind learning to rebuild and clean out a carb if it means I get a great deal on an unridden bike. As long as it's not something like "oh it sat for 4 years, you're going to need to completely rebuild the entire engine and transmission to be sure."

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 27, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It sucks that sellers never realize that most serious buyers would prefer an obsessively maintained bike with a fair amount of miles than a bike that has never been maintained with few miles.

Absolutely do a VIN check though, as was posted. I like to keep the page pulled up on my phone and do a check right as I arrive.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Hah, nevermind, he says he's firm at $5000. Good luck, buddy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

There is a guy locally who's been trying to sell a 2013 KLR with 500KMs for MSRP. His reasoning is "SAVES YOU TAXES AND FEES AND INCLUDES A TANK BAG".. but still somehow doesn't grasp the concept of depreciation, caveat emptor, warranty, etc.. unless the tank bag has $3K in cash stuffed in it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

RadioPassive posted:

Yeah gently caress that. At the very least it needs all the fluids replaced, new tires, and fresh grease on anything that needs greased.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
It doesn't really save you taxes or fees unless you're down with tax fraud / perjury. And, if you are, why the gently caress are you dealing in tractorbikes instead of investment banking?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There are no taxes/fees on private sales here, so that part at least is legitimate. Of course you have to pay a fee to plate the vehicle, but that's $75 or something.

e: By "fees" they mean, delivery, PDI, assembly, tire levies, etc.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Armacham posted:

Yeah gently caress that. At the very least it needs all the fluids replaced, new tires, and fresh grease on anything that needs greased.

It's a Klr. It needs grease on all the places that should have gotten more than a stingy drop from the factory.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I have an honest question for this thread.

I'm about to have to sell off (or return to the actual owners) my collection of 18+ bikes 90% of which are vintage hondas.
It's the biggest shitpile of well organized parts you can imagine. Where do I begin? One hilariously long CL ad, one really short "come buy my life for $x." or a bunch of really sad and overly detailed and complicated CL ads?

What would you all like to see?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm about to have to sell off (or return to the actual owners) my collection of 18+ bikes 90% of which are vintage hondas.
It's the biggest shitpile of well organized parts you can imagine. Where do I begin? One hilariously long CL ad, one really short "come buy my life for $x." or a bunch of really sad and overly detailed and complicated CL ads?

One hilariously long ad. I want to see the individual who shows up to buy 18 bikes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That sounds like it sucks. Sorry. Is there a ridiculous Honda enthusiast forum you could post them all on? Any sort of collectors who'd be interested in the set? Otherwise I think you almost always make more parting stuff out (and posting it as many places as you can).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I know of a guy in port Angeles that might want them but I have a feeling that's about 3000 miles further than you want to look for a taker.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Whatever you do, list it here first for us to marvel at.

Any Turbos or CBXs?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

gently caress him in the rear end. Theres a NE at a dealer near me for that price.

I paid 1800 for my 2006.

Grease loving everything. most years are ok. avoid the 08-09 ones.

replace the counter balance shaft tensioner set "doohickey" and it'll go on forever.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, there are definitely new ones available for near that price by me too.

I've been avoiding the 08-09s because of oil burning issues, and whatever I get will have the doo done. I also want to put a thermobob on based on what I've read.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Y

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you want to sell, you list them individually and dump the final parts at 1/10th their value, or spend 3 years slowly getting ok money for parts until you finally dump the remainder for 1/20th their value. Put in some uncommon keyword people can search for to find your bikes as a group and offer a bulk discount to those that want to buy a bunch of them.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
eBay, you so crazy putting this at the top of my feed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-RC51-/181701470065?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a4e406771&item=181701470065

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
RC51 owners are still stupid about pricing, god. It's not a loving Ducati.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I know a guy that runs a restoration shop here in Texas. I can shoot him an email if you have stuff listed out already. (never hurts to ask).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Skreemer posted:

I know a guy that runs a restoration shop here in Texas. I can shoot him an email if you have stuff listed out already. (never hurts to ask).

I don't, but I'll keep you in mind. The bikes are in VA

slidebite posted:

Whatever you do, list it here first for us to marvel at.

Any Turbos or CBXs?
Nothing fun like that. Just a bunch of GL1000's, CB750's, etc... I think the rarest thing is a CB400F and it was HORRIBLY cafe'd :smith:

I'm going through the list of things now and it's looking like it might not be so bad. A lot of the bikes don't even belong to me anymore. Like the CB350 I gave my sister, the CB125 I gave my girlfriend, a CB750 I gave to a friend, an xs650 project that a friend bailed on after I had the frame powdercoated and painted the engine... et cetera, et cetera.

builds character posted:

That sounds like it sucks. Sorry. Is there a ridiculous Honda enthusiast forum you could post them all on? Any sort of collectors who'd be interested in the set? Otherwise I think you almost always make more parting stuff out (and posting it as many places as you can).
I could easily list the stuff on their respective forums: Naked Goldwings, SOHC4, hondatwins. I may wind up going that route.

I'm thinking now I should start a thread and chronicle this hilariously horrible process.
Thoughts?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I was thinking about getting a KTM EXC for dual sporting/adv touring stuff but then I downloaded the manual and read the maintenance intervals.

Seriously? at 135 hours non-racing use, replace the piston, valves, valve springs, valve seats, conrod and all engine bearings?

I realize I'm digging this up a bit late; but unless you are a competition off-road racer, you'll never need to do those kind of service intervals. You'll go a decade on the valves and serious engine bits. Maybe a top end at 300 hours.

If your just tooling around commuting and doing light ADV stuff; the service intervals are basically like other bikes. Read Orange Crush in ADVRider, it's full of guys with 15k miles on these things just doing valve checks.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Naked GL1000s are fun as poo poo.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm thinking now I should start a thread and chronicle this hilariously horrible process.
Thoughts?

Please do.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Thoughts?

Do it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

I think you want to get from 18 to 3, as follows:

(1 each) well sorted daily rider, not to be jacked with under any circumstances
(1 each) rolling project to serve as a backup for above in the event of downtime; may require mild wrenching and part sourcing, starts/shifts/goes
(1 each) basket case with some redeeming quality for your well-documented need to fix/tinker/disassemble/customize/make awesome

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Radbot posted:

Naked GL1000s are fun as poo poo.

This. If anyone comes across one in the wild that runs for around a grand.
Buy it.

Marv Hushman posted:

I think you want to get from 18 to 3, as follows:

(1 each) well sorted daily rider, not to be jacked with under any circumstances
(1 each) rolling project to serve as a backup for above in the event of downtime; may require mild wrenching and part sourcing, starts/shifts/goes
(1 each) basket case with some redeeming quality for your well-documented need to fix/tinker/disassemble/customize/make awesome
Fortunately that's pretty much how I've amassed most of my bikes.
For example my GL's: I've got 1 that's a project basket case/parts bike, another that's pretty close to running, and the third that currently runs great (with one small exception; idle surge.)

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 31, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a great deal, I'll pick it up tomorrow! :downs:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/4959973969.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slim Pickens posted:

Sounds like a great deal, I'll pick it up tomorrow! :downs:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/4959973969.html

Sounds like a steal!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The clutch doesn't work but his friend rode it yesterday? Bet that was a fun ride.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Scrapez posted:

The clutch doesn't work but his friend rode it yesterday? Bet that was a fun ride.

It's a DR350. Rev it in neutral and just pop it into first when you want to slowly wheelie off.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:lol: he just updated it with the blurriest god drat pictures imaginable, it still doesn't look black. This is probably the least-scammy CL ad in existence.

Unrelated, I just laughed at the last part of the ad.

http://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/mcy/4962032385.html

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 4, 2015

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Have 2 small children and only enough cash for one bike? Problem solved!

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/4946312156.html

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Slim Pickens posted:

:lol: he just updated it with the blurriest god drat pictures imaginable, it still doesn't look black. This is probably the least-scammy CL ad in existence.

Unrelated, I just laughed at the last part of the ad.

http://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/mcy/4962032385.html

Been looking for an XR for years. Is it just me, or are they generally lot more expensive than equivalent bikes from other manufacturers?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It might just be craigslist in general, suzuki dual sports and enduros seem overpriced as well, especially DR350s. There's cheap XRs and DRs out there, but they're being sold by dudes in the boonies who refuse to learn how to use the internet.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Crossposting.

The ad is gone but I had set up a CL search for a Vstrom. I got a hit this morning at 0700. I bought it at 1100.

2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650. 38K.

Motech crash bars
Garmin GPS
3 piece Givi Monokey Luggage
Front suspension stabilizer
Hole shot pipe
Current service
Bark busters
Upgraded pegs
Olympia jacket and pants
Sidi boots
Some sort of fancy com inter helmet/GPS system
BMW style socket
Heated vest and gloves

Did I do ok? I can listen to the BRAAAAAP of that vtwin all day.

$2100 for everything

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's a lot of bike and accessories for 2k, congrats!

A friend of mine was asking what this 2007 CBR is worth in Canada dollars. I have no idea how to value sportbikes so I thought I'd ask you guys.

http://victoria.craigslist.ca/mcy/4912796758.html

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
That's about 1000-1500 high. The market around here is really stupid for used bikes, particularly with anything older than 2000 - sure, I totally think your beat to poo poo 1992 FZ600 is worth $3000. Sure.

Tell your friend to cast his net over to Vancouver if he wants a better deal. Hell, if he finds something he likes, I'd be willing to go check it out for him, providing it is in/around Vancouver.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Pretty high price for a bike that most likely needs tires and fluids. 4500 would be a good price. The Fraser Valley and Vancouver are hit or miss around this time of year, some people looking to get out of riding for cheap, or others looking to upgrade and sell their poo poo beater for top dollar to offset the cost of the new ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

You should tell your friend to remove the "great beginner bike" from his ad .. it's not.