Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
although really just building robots to do it would be ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Stringent posted:

although really just building robots to do it would be ideal

you organicist bigot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ADINSX posted:

My original post was kind of vague, the idea is "Now that one group of people in society is becoming less marginalized, we need a NEW marginalized group to do the stuff we [rich white men] don't wanna do!"

nobody wants to do this stuff. making it something with explicit cost and external responsibility takes some unfortunate things out of the household dynamic. I doubt that most of the customers are married men whose wives got uppity, which sounds like your thesis? the honeymooners stereotypes wouldn't care for the service because that work is already invisible to them. their wives might be interested, though, so that they can spend more time on things that they find more fulfilling.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nagato posted:

you organicist bigot

sorry, non-sentient robots

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Stringent posted:

the one thing that makes it tolerable is fellowship
you forgot alcohol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Subjunctive posted:

nobody wants to do this stuff. making it something with explicit cost and external responsibility takes some unfortunate things out of the household dynamic. I doubt that most of the customers are married men whose wives got uppity, which sounds like your thesis? the honeymooners stereotypes wouldn't care for the service because that work is already invisible to them. their wives might be interested, though, so that they can spend more time on things that they find more fulfilling.

my wife works full time, same as me. i'm sure you didn't mean this to sound as sexist as it did, but it did.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stringent posted:

my wife works full time, same as me. i'm sure you didn't mean this to sound as sexist as it did, but it did.

I was responding to the framing of the OP, which was about this being displaced oppression of housewives, and I explicitly referenced the stereotype; the thesis is sexist, really. if you carry an equal share of the domestic work, though, you're a wonderful outlier even among two-job-outside-the-home couples.

housewives work full-time too, they just tend to have less rewarding work (as self-reported) than those who work outside the home. interestingly, house husbands don't report lower work satisfaction than outside-work husbands, probably because they almost never fall into it by default.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

rjmccall posted:

subjunctive was were right

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

was all set to be horrified about needing a service to manage your services but then I realized I use yidio and think it's great so I'm already a cog in the machine of horror

rjmccall posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it's ok, as long as you don't induce the near-violence of parts-and-labour billing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hobbesmaster posted:

because there never existed services that will fold laundry for you until now

those laundry bags in hotel rooms? just magic, no people involved at all. thats why it costs $5/t-shirt

i first heard about fluff-and-fold services on an episode of seinfeld

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rjmccall posted:

:newlol:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Citizen Tayne posted:

you mean "job creators"

you rang?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
shoot the new rich

also the old rich

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I pay someone to do most of my laundry it's very convenient

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I have a washer and dryer so I do my own laundry but I think it might be nice 2 have a housekeeper come like once a week to do other stuff.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

I have a washer and dryer so I do my own laundry but I think it might be nice 2 have a housekeeper come like once a week to do other stuff.

my current apartment has a washer and dryer, and it's so much better than having to go to a laundromat. i can do laundry if i'm just in the mood for whatever reason :swoon:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah I cant imagine going to a laundromat. that would be awful

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
yeah once you go w/d in unit you never go back

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it's like gpgpu, takes you a minute to shuffle the data out there but it's a parallel operation so 2 weeks is done in 1.5h

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

it's like gpgpu, takes you a minute to shuffle the data out there but it's a parallel operation so 2 weeks is done in 1.5h

nerrrrrrrrd

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

my current apartment has a washer and dryer, and it's so much better than having to go to a laundromat. i can do laundry if i'm just in the mood for whatever reason :swoon:

i keep my clean clothes in the dryer and iron what i want to wear to the office when i get dressed

got a baller rear end new iron as a wedding gift and it ownsssss

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but you're in california why would you iron a t shirt?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i keep my clean clothes in the dryer and iron what i want to wear to the office when i get dressed

got a baller rear end new iron as a wedding gift and it ownsssss

my old roommate used to throw his clean undershirts on a pile in his closet. as he wore them he took them off and threw them on another pile. when the dirty pile was bigger than the clean pile, he would wash them.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

but you're in california why would you iron a t shirt?

dress for the job you want etc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

dress for the job you want etc

ok why would you iron a turtle neck

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

ok why would you iron a turtle neck

the collar won't stay popped on it unless i starch it w/ the iron first

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prefect posted:

my current apartment has a washer and dryer but the dryer is barely functional and there's no room to dry all the clothes on the little deck. almost wish i still went to the laundromat.

also the washer has a whole buncha rusted out parts up top so like the softener dispenser funnel thing keeps falling off.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shaggar posted:

getting involved in the pricing and work is a total mistake. most of these people are already self employed and providing an avenue for them to seek new clients that isn't word of mouth or classifieds is not a bad idea, but the second you start setting their wages or whatever they're your employees. better to be a service provider that they subscribe to and let them continue to set their pricing + schedules as negotiated w/ clients.

these kinds of services aren't worker-focused, they're customer focused. they don't give a poo poo about getting clients for existing service providers, they want to be the service provider as far as the customer is concerned but subcontract the work out to others. that gives them more control over the cut they take, and also allows them to maintain brand identity by forcing the actual providers to jump through hoops and requirements

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

these kinds of services aren't worker-focused, they're customer focused. they don't give a poo poo about getting clients for existing service providers, they want to be the service provider as far as the customer is concerned but subcontract the work out to others. that gives them more control over the cut they take, and also allows them to maintain brand identity by forcing the actual providers to jump through hoops and requirements

and the point is that at that point they're not subcontracting they're hiring

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

right. its a stupid model when there is a much better one that does effectively the same thing

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shaggar posted:

right. its a stupid model when there is a much better one that does effectively the same thing

this model gets more vc dollars, though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the other model would get vc dollars and it would be legal.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
handybook isn't going to go head to head with your local merry maids franchisee unless it can get in at a hilariously low price. they just can't. little/no word of mouth, little budget for advertising, little quality control. they just don't have a chance.

none of these dumb services would be able to carve out a market without selling poo poo below cost. exploitation and abuse is built into them, at their core

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
"$SERVICE, but with a mobile app!" isn't a business model

"$SERVICE, but with hilarious margins built on dubiously legal exploitation of 1099 workers!" might be a viable business, we're finding that out now

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

this guy is 100% correct

hobbesmaster posted:

and the point is that at that point they're not subcontracting they're hiring

if you actually hire people, your business is dead. the whole "business" hinges on having the "independent" "contractors" suffer all the risk and pay all business expenses.

the minute they move those things onto their own books, the silicon valley bullshitters don't have a competitive advantage over the local yokels.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

which is why they shouldn't exist in that form

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this guy is 100% correct

if you actually hire people, your business is dead. the whole "business" hinges on having the "independent" "contractors" suffer all the risk and pay all business expenses.

the minute they move those things onto their own books, the silicon valley bullshitters don't have a competitive advantage over the local yokels.

nbsd was right

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

which is why they shouldn't exist in that form

yeah but there isn't another form.

other than uber, i don't think any of these firms are viable if they went 100% legal.

• airbnb would lose 90-99% of its inventory. the remaining inventory would be much less competitive after airbnb starts collecting tax.

• handybook wouldn't exist

• alfred wouldn't exist

• taskrabbit wouldn't exist

• lyft wouldn't exist

• sidecar wouldn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

• Locked thread