Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, speaking of our trip to Spain: All over Europe they in the early winter they have Christmas markets, where the citizens come out and eat tons of hot fatty food, drink spiced wine, and just generally Christmas the poo poo out of everything. Part of that tradition in Spain is that people buy little figurines for their elaborate homemade nativity scenes - they do entire tiny towns with pubs, houses, fruit vendors, and of course butchers. The wife and I aren't particularly religious, but we did decide to do our own nativity reflecting something truly divine. I present to you El Sagrado Cristo Iberico:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yes
Aug 26, 2004

This just came in today. It's loving phenomenal.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

yes posted:

Is this the final product of that guys leg? At least the foot with the sock fell off.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

yes posted:

Post slice photos please tia

yes
Aug 26, 2004

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Me IRL

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Is this the final product of that guys leg? At least the foot with the sock fell off.

Yes.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Did we ever see that show up on a police report or anything? Legit was a human leg with sock on

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

This is some pancetta stesa after about a week. The landlord here keeps the thermostat almost off, and if I keep my window wide open all day my room stays around 55F with about 70RH.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nice color.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
That's looking too good man.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have come into the possession of about 2lb of free pork belly chunks. I will also be processing a whole 100lb pig for my birthday. What are some fun things to do to sloppily (cut wise, not sanitation) butchered meat, short of grind it all? I am a beginner and not had any curing experience.

Also, should I make a GoonButcherCamp 2015 for my birthday?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Take a look at my lonza, only took about a month. Used the salt box method, pressed it while it was curing to make the drying process a little quicker. In all, took 1 week in cure, 3 weeks drying. Cured with a shitload of pepper, washed with white wine, coated with pepper, wrapped in cheesecloth, trussed so well my chef thought I was into bondage, and hung in my soon to be re-purposed curing cooler.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Take a look at my lonza, only took about a month. Used the salt box method, pressed it while it was curing to make the drying process a little quicker. In all, took 1 week in cure, 3 weeks drying. Cured with a shitload of pepper, washed with white wine, coated with pepper, wrapped in cheesecloth, trussed so well my chef thought I was into bondage, and hung in my soon to be re-purposed curing cooler.

Can you bring me some? I'm only an hour away!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Did you not use pink salt? It looks tasty but much paler than lonze I've seen (and cured) in the past.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

feelz good man posted:

This is some pancetta stesa after about a week. The landlord here keeps the thermostat almost off, and if I keep my window wide open all day my room stays around 55F with about 70RH.
So it started to get warm, and the slab felt firm enough. Since it's not going to be enjoyed uncooked, I decided to test it finally. It was delicious, but I wish I had waited to find juniper berries before starting this batch. Oh well, crispy cured pork!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

feelz good man posted:

So it started to get warm, and the slab felt firm enough. Since it's not going to be enjoyed uncooked, I decided to test it finally. It was delicious, but I wish I had waited to find juniper berries before starting this batch. Oh well, crispy cured pork!

For some reason I can't wrap my mind around the proportions of that dish, it keeps going back and forth between huge slice and tiny crumb.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
From the marbling, I'm guessing it's two pieces between 2 and 5cm.
Looks delicious, though.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Martello posted:

Did you not use pink salt? It looks tasty but much paler than lonze I've seen (and cured) in the past.

Yeah, I used pink salt. Those slices are off the lean end.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Is this speck salvageable?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Way to ruin your one funny thing dude.

holttho
May 21, 2007

yes
Aug 26, 2004

for sure man, that looks fine

yes
Aug 26, 2004

actually in all seriousness, none of those look like spoilage molds. I see mucor, chrysosporium, some run-of-the-mill penicillium...it's probably safe to eat. i wouldn't serve it, though.

how did it get this moldy, anyway? are you guys hanging this stuff in a walk-in or what? i'm assuming from the steel prep table this is at a restaurant?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

goodness posted:

Way to ruin your one funny thing dude.

Get a refund.

I follow a facechunk charcuterie group. Apparently the yellow mold is from where it was touching the board it was resting on.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

icehewk posted:

Get a refund.

I follow a facechunk charcuterie group. Apparently the yellow mold is from where it was touching the board it was resting on.

Should probably hang it like almost all cured products imo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pork belly chunks have cured. Drying in fridge now, will smoke tomorrow.

Hopefully i'll be able to do a real slab of bacon one day, but these chunks were free, and from a very happy farm raised pig named Russel.

edit: BAC-DONE. These are just the nice slices I could make, the other half of it was minced and fried into bacon bits. Not bad at all for a first try!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 1, 2015

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Hey meat-thread-

First time trying to make bacon and I've been out and stuck at work more than I planned to be and haven't been able to remove the pork belly from the cure and roast it yet. I think it's been 7 days+36 hours now. Will I destroy if I can't do it until tomorrow morning?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Hey meat-thread-

First time trying to make bacon and I've been out and stuck at work more than I planned to be and haven't been able to remove the pork belly from the cure and roast it yet. I think it's been 7 days+36 hours now. Will I destroy if I can't do it until tomorrow morning?

I tend to leave mine in 10 days.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

I tend to leave mine in 10 days.

Okay, awesome. Thanks!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I got Ruhlman's book today and I've been doing a lot of reading, why do people in this thread say he's loose with food safety? If anything he seems the opposite with his weird insistence that everything that gets hot-smoked smoked needs to be nitrite cured in order to be safe.

edit: Also with the freezing of the pork to kill trichinosis, the infection rate in the US from commercial sources is like one per year.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 7, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

So I got Ruhlman's book today and I've been doing a lot of reading, why do people in this thread say he's loose with food safety? If anything he seems the opposite with his weird insistence that everything that gets hot-smoked smoked needs to be nitrite cured in order to be safe.

edit: Also with the freezing of the pork to kill trichinosis, the infection rate in the US from commercial sources is like one per year.

I think a lot of it stems from his saying that he makes a pot of stock and leaves it sitting out on the stove for a week, heating it up when he needs some.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Jarmak posted:

Actually that's from all sources, not just commercial.
:goonsay:

Virtually all trichinosis incidents in US/Canada come from game animals. Boar, mostly; a little venison. Trichinella used to get into swine via raw garbage consumed, but ever since 1980 when the gov't banned feeding pigs uncooked garbage, it has virtually disappeared.

Ruhlman is just the kind of guy who tries to game actual bacterial growth rates vs. what regulated food safety says occurs.

There is a good section in the 1st Modernist Cuisine book that details this better, but I can't find it on the internet and I guarantee I'll forget to look in my copy when I get home tonight. Basically it says that a certain population (say, 1 million cells worth for one strain of bacteria, 100 cells for another) of a given bacteria are required to make you sick, and that within the 'danger zone' if the bacteria is present on the food or in the air, it will be able to produce enough generations in 4 hours to reach this critical infection amount. However, bacteria grow at different rates at different temperatures, and the colony of bacteria will only reach its critical amount in 4 hours if it is at, or near, its peak growth rate. Which, for most spoilage bugs, is in the 90-110F range. But, if you look at the growth rate when something is at low room temperature (mid 60s let's say) you find that the time it takes for the bacteria to multiply up to the critical amount can be in the 6-10 days range.

However, you have to legislate food safety to be bare-bones simple and easy to execute. Which is how you get the "if it is at 45F for 5 hours, it's garbage!" rules. Is it really? Nah; it's fine. He's just taking his own calculated risk for his own purposes. But everything he officially publishes is safe to the liable/culpable extent that he needs to be.

I leave butter out on the table indefinitely. Winter or summer. But that's my choice, I take the risk; and only I use it. If I'm gonna have guests, I'll just get a new stick out of the freezer. Also, my butter never lasts more than two weeks usually.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

holttho posted:

Actually that's from all sources, not just commercial.
:goonsay:

Virtually all trichinosis incidents in US/Canada come from game animals. Boar, mostly; a little venison. Trichinella used to get into swine via raw garbage consumed, but ever since 1980 when the gov't banned feeding pigs uncooked garbage, it has virtually disappeared.

Ruhlman is just the kind of guy who tries to game actual bacterial growth rates vs. what regulated food safety says occurs.

There is a good section in the 1st Modernist Cuisine book that details this better, but I can't find it on the internet and I guarantee I'll forget to look in my copy when I get home tonight. Basically it says that a certain population (say, 1 million cells worth for one strain of bacteria, 100 cells for another) of a given bacteria are required to make you sick, and that within the 'danger zone' if the bacteria is present on the food or in the air, it will be able to produce enough generations in 4 hours to reach this critical infection amount. However, bacteria grow at different rates at different temperatures, and the colony of bacteria will only reach its critical amount in 4 hours if it is at, or near, its peak growth rate. Which, for most spoilage bugs, is in the 90-110F range. But, if you look at the growth rate when something is at low room temperature (mid 60s let's say) you find that the time it takes for the bacteria to multiply up to the critical amount can be in the 6-10 days range.

However, you have to legislate food safety to be bare-bones simple and easy to execute. Which is how you get the "if it is at 45F for 5 hours, it's garbage!" rules. Is it really? Nah; it's fine. He's just taking his own calculated risk for his own purposes. But everything he officially publishes is safe to the liable/culpable extent that he needs to be.

I leave butter out on the table indefinitely. Winter or summer. But that's my choice, I take the risk; and only I use it. If I'm gonna have guests, I'll just get a new stick out of the freezer. Also, my butter never lasts more than two weeks usually.

This is pretty common though, Alton Brown for example consistently recommends violating food safety rules because they're designed to be fail-safe guidelines for people who don't know what they're doing and I've never heard anyone complain about him being fast and loose.

Most USDA food safe rules are complete garbage if you know what you're doing and aren't immunocomprimised.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Every time the health inspector comes in to a restaurant I work at I just imagine their minds imploding if they ever eat somewhere out of the USA.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Jarmak posted:

This is pretty common though, Alton Brown for example consistently recommends violating food safety rules because they're designed to be fail-safe guidelines for people who don't know what they're doing and I've never heard anyone complain about him being fast and loose.

Most USDA food safe rules are complete garbage if you know what you're doing and aren't immunocomprimised.

He does for cook-temps for pork and chicken, but he remained pretty firm on the 'danger zone' throughout all of Good Eats. I haven't seen any of his other shows, though.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

holttho posted:

He does for cook-temps for pork and chicken, but he remained pretty firm on the 'danger zone' throughout all of Good Eats. I haven't seen any of his other shows, though.

pretty much every episode I've seen of good eats that involved protein featured a bit where his "lawyers" force him to read a disclaimer that his technique violated USDA guidelines.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Good ol' Itchy and Twitchy.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Finally found a good source for whole belly in Boston today, put 5lbs into a vacuum seal bag with Ruhlman's maple cure recipe + a quarter cup of bourbon. Was thinking about trying to dehydrate the bourbon but realized it was probably pretty pointless, the mixture is already wet and even "dry" curing still involves what amounts to a concentrated brine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

goodness posted:

Every time the health inspector comes in to a restaurant I work at I just imagine their minds imploding if they ever eat somewhere out of the USA.

Had a health inspector tell me I had to throw out some house cured meats, nope, I'll take the 5 point hit, kthx.

• Locked thread