Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Palpek posted:

Yeah, I completely forgot that scene but now I do remember I had a "gently caress, that was good" feeling when they were finished at that table. I thought it was genuinely well thought out as a cinematic scene. I'm sure the music helped as well as a couple of good one-liners.

Connor is terrible. "Charles Lee! Charles Lee! I must find Charles Lee, the man who burned down my village and killed my mother.' :byodood:
Haytham: 'Actually, it was Washington'.'
Connor: 'Well gently caress. Where's LEE!?!' :byodood:
And then Connor and Washington were super best friends forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Palpek posted:

Yeah, I completely forgot that scene but now I do remember I had a "gently caress, that was good" feeling when they were finished at that table. I thought it was genuinely well thought out as a cinematic scene. I'm sure the music helped as well as a couple of good one-liners.

Honestly, I didn't hate III as much as a lot of people (to me, its biggest sin was its loving god-awful pacing) but at the end of the day it's just really disappointing. On paper, Connor is by far the most interesting Assassin. He's an outsider to the Mohawk he grew up with, an outsider to the revolutionaries whose cause he's sympathetic to (and this isn't even getting into the fact that both of those factions are at odds with each other), and he even becomes disillusioned with the Assassins, the only home that ever accepted him unconditionally. His relationship with his Haytham is really complex, as they're on opposite sides of a power struggle going back millennia but find a common ground that has nothing at all to do with the fact that they're, you know, father and son. His conflicted loyalties are even represented in his character design. It's a Western-style coat and trousers but with native moccasins and decorations, and a Western sword and pistols but native tomahawk and bow.

The problem is that the execution is so goddamn lovely. Ubisoft decided to go with a native Mohawk speaker rather than a competent voice-actor* and cut out a ton of character-building scenes in favor of an American Revolution history course that pretty much everyone already knows.

*Totally understandable why they did this, but it's a real shame they couldn't find anyone better

EDIT: I mean, listen to this. None of this comes through in the actual plot, which is a crying shame. It's about as subtle as a brick wall, but why couldn't they have made this game?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 26, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's also the fact that he is written to be a naive bitch idiot, regardless of their initial intent, sooooo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ninjahedgehog posted:

EDIT: I mean, listen to this. None of this comes through in the actual plot, which is a crying shame. It's about as subtle as a brick wall, but why couldn't they have made this game?

There's a whole set of such scenes, with character motivations and interactions and context and subtlety, fully acted and animated, dummied out of the game. It's the weirdest thing. Instead of there metaphorically being a good plot hidden in there somewhere, there is literally a good plot hidden in the game files.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

All dummied out because Ubisoft had to get the game out for the end of 2012, bugs and all. AC 3 should have been a far better game than it actually was. Same with Unity.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Now I'm just following this thread for any news of that side scrolling game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a whole set of such scenes, with character motivations and interactions and context and subtlety, fully acted and animated, dummied out of the game. It's the weirdest thing. Instead of there metaphorically being a good plot hidden in there somewhere, there is literally a good plot hidden in the game files.

I never heard that and it explains a lot about Connor's complete lack of character outside of his time with Haytham.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Also, III had by far my favorite kill animation. :black101:

It's at 3:38 if the linked time doesn't work.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
AC3 had the promise of a good game, but due to time constraints came out broken, clumsy and disconnected (That loving YOU ARE AN EAGLE dream sequence mechanic that never gets used again and doesn't let you take damage, uuuugh). You'd think they'd have learned from that, and decided putting time constraints ahead of game quality is a bad idea. Maybe they did, but also ran the numbers and found that making more money from selling annual releases of unfinished games is more lucrative than selling a smaller series of completed and even enjoyable games.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

III's best moment was clearly the part when Haytham got in a barfight and told the other guy he was going to feed him his teeth.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

TARDISman posted:

III's best moment was clearly the part when Haytham

I agree.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

TARDISman posted:

III's best moment was clearly the part when Haytham got in a barfight and told the other guy he was going to feed him his teeth.

If AC 3 had ended when you stopped playing as Haytham, I would have considered it a good game.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Skoll posted:

If AC 3 had ended when you stopped playing as Haytham, I would have considered it a good game.

"Wait, he was a Templar?!"
"Apparently, where should we go now?"
"...gently caress if I know."
ROLL CREDITS.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The best part of AC3 is how bonkers the story DLCs were. Washington's pyramid in the middle of New York:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Palpek posted:

The best part of AC3 is how bonkers the story DLCs were. Washington's pyramid in the middle of New York:

Now I really want Assassins Creed: Egypt. Assassinations with a brain hook :magical:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pesmerga posted:

Now I really want Assassins Creed: Egypt. Assassinations with a brain hook :magical:

And AC Feudal Japan. I don't understand how come they haven't done that yet, unless of course it's simply "oh we cant have non white male protagonist".

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Skoll posted:

And AC Feudal Japan. I don't understand how come they haven't done that yet, unless of course it's simply "oh we cant have non white male protagonist".

I think it's more the fact that everyone keeps telling them to do Japan.

Because they would still make the dude white,of course.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

senae posted:

The world needs another Tenchu game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

senae posted:

AC already had minority protagonists. The problem with Japan is that it's not about white people history which is more of a framework for the AC series. They're probably afraid it won't sell just like Jade Empire didn't.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Palpek posted:

AC already had minority protagonists. The problem with Japan is that it's not about white people history which is more of a framework for the AC series. They're probably afraid it won't sell just like Jade Empire didn't.
Or, that people will be reminded that Altaïr was Syrian and go apeshit.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

anthonypants posted:

Or, that people will be reminded that Altaïr was Syrian and go apeshit.

A Muslim Syrian terrorist, even.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

senae posted:

...and yet at the moment they seem to be working through the fan favourite settings: French Revolution, Victorian London....

Somewhere in Japanese history has to be next.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If Assassin's Creed were going to do Japan, I'd rather it took place during the Satsuma Rebellion rather than the Sengoku era. Japan facing modernization seems to be a good fit for the Assassin vs Templar conflict and they could even bring over the naval battles from Black Flag and Rogue if need be.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I read something the other day where they said they probably won't do Feudal Japan because there are already enough games about ninjas. Which is clearly nonsense. The real reason is as you guys said, it's not White People History.

Edit: the Satsuma Rebellion would be rad as hell.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Id love to see AC Vikings but I don't think it'd work unless the game centered in medieval Europe or some poo poo.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Skoll posted:

Id love to see AC Vikings but I don't think it'd work unless the game centered in medieval Europe or some poo poo.

Conflict between the Moors on the Iberian peninsula and Viking raids (lightning assassination by boats) could be fun, and definitely an under-explored time period (mid-800s). Would get rid of those pesky firearms and add more axes :black101:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Skoll posted:

I really want a game set in the early Saxon period surrounded primarily by green fields and tiny villages and the odd Roman not-quite-ruin. No reason other than I want to see that period rendered.

Alternatively, pick a city, and experience it through different centuries and watch it grow and change. Again, no reason other than I want someone to do the historical research and render it for me so I can poke at it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snuffman posted:

...and yet at the moment they seem to be working through the fan favourite settings: French Revolution, Victorian London....

Somewhere in Japanese history has to be next.

Everyone wants Kyoto and they're gonna set it in Okinawa just be assholes :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Remember that they need big famous names. so whenever they'll be setting their next game it has to be a period with tons of names people recognize. It has always been this way in the series.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I forgot how hilariously lovely the voice acting in the first game with Altair is. You can make the "you play as a middle eastern guy!" argument all you want, but for whatever reason he was voiced to sound like GENERIC AMERICAN MAN FROM 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs66GJp2L7M

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

I forgot how hilariously lovely the voice acting in the first game with Altair is. You can make the "you play as a middle eastern guy!" argument all you want, but for whatever reason he was voiced to sound like GENERIC AMERICAN MAN FROM 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs66GJp2L7M

it was played by this guy, looks pretty legit

born in chicago

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
You think it sounds bad in that video? Try hearing these lines amongst all the other voices in the game, Al Mualim, the rafik guys in each bureau, each of your targets. It wouldn't be so jarring if everyone else had pseudo-foreign-but-still-merican accents.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I can't recall much about Revelations, probably due to the tumor it caused, but didn't Altair sound a LOT better in that?

But yeah, it's undeniable that in a game that was about checking out this amazing period in history, Altair sounded like prototypical Gruff American Protagonist. Much like how in Revolutionary France, everybody was actually from London based on their voices.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I like how we've suspended belief that the animus can translate everything into english but that accent is awful

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The weird thing about original Altaïr is that the guy can do an accent, but they decided at the last minute to make it American. Even the actor sounded mystified about that in the interview I heard.

Then they even went ahead and gave him an accent for the (terrible gameplay, all right story) interstitial handheld Altaïr game. Maybe they played through the final version of AC1 and realized how weird it sounded. :iiam:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They always have such a weird relationship with the Animus language translation. Why does it only translate certain words?!

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

They always have such a weird relationship with the Animus language translation. Why does it only translate certain words?!

Yeah. I just started Unity and everyone sounds English except sometimes they say "sacre bleu" or "je suis une baguette" or whatever. What's that all about?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Palpek posted:

Remember that they need big famous names. so whenever they'll be setting their next game it has to be a period with tons of names people recognize. It has always been this way in the series.

Let's see... In AC1, the only personage an average person is likely to have heard about would be Richard the Lionheart. In Revelations, Suleiman is the only prominent historical character, and I don't think he is known to the general public. AC3 is a borderline case in that the only character's non-Americans are likely to have heard about are George Washington and Benjamin Franklin. The point is, it is not the case for all the games in the series.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They are going for foreign "flavour" without having to resort to having complete sentences in the other language.

Come to think of it, we can probably expect Victory to use ridiculous Cockney dialect even for characters that shouldn't speak that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

paint dry posted:

Yeah. I just started Unity and everyone sounds English except sometimes they say "sacre bleu" or "je suis une baguette" or whatever. What's that all about?

And the crowds speak almost exclusively French.

• Locked thread