Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In any case why do people rail against "appropriation" and not against "bigoted mockery"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

SedanChair posted:

In any case why do people rail against "appropriation" and not against "bigoted mockery"?

They do rail against bigoted mockery.

Why do variations of this question keep getting asked when the answer is obvious?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Obdicut posted:

Why do variations of this question keep getting asked when the answer is obvious?

Probably because there seem to be some people who think that appropriation in and of itself is bad. It's not bad to steal art.

My point is that "appropriation" is a concept that does not get at the harms perpetuated, at all.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Obdicut posted:

Because cultural appropriation still seems like a bizarre concept to get upset about.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The whole white gay men appropriating Black women is the wierded loving thing because it's kind of not true and then sometimes is completely totally true.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gantolandon posted:

This is not a laughing matter. Eastern Europe is the place where the communist ideology has been first implemented, grew and (eventually) died. Now Western kids from stable liberal democracies, who never had problems with access to toilet paper, take chosen elements of communism and repurpose them to fit their needs. If this trend continues, everyone will think that this complicated and controversial ideology was about not wearing Japanese kimonos by Caucasians. I feel deeply offended by the people from the West trying to appropriate such an important element of Eastern European history.

You laugh, but I knew a guy whose Ukrainian grandparents who had suffered horribly under Stalin got really upset when he wore a hammer and sickle shirt around during some high school communist phase. Not exactly the same thing, because communism isn't exactly a Ukrainian cultural thing, but there are definitely some parallels.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So ultimately does the spectre of cultural appropriation boil down to some people get upset at other people?

Because there are people in america that are still upset at others smoking and I don't give a poo poo about them, so why should I give a poo poo about the Washington Redskins?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Raging against "cultural appropriation" is the politically correct way of wanting things "separate but equal." The world is coming full circle and we're gonna be back to strict forms of censorship in a few generations I bet.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

Because cultural appropriation still seems like a bizarre concept to get upset about.

Not really. It's just another means of reacting against the alienating nature of modernity. Some people buy into, others don't.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

So ultimately does the spectre of cultural appropriation boil down to some people get upset at other people?

Because there are people in america that are still upset at others smoking and I don't give a poo poo about them, so why should I give a poo poo about the Washington Redskins?

Redskin is a legit slur, though, versus a white guy with dreadlocks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

unlimited shrimp posted:

Redskin is a legit slur, though, versus a white guy with dreadlocks.

Slur or not, I'm still not going to be upset nor crusade to change it. I guess people just can't handle others freedom of speech.

Anyway, next Halloween I'm going to dress up as Guan Yu (關帝), no yellow face though because if Jesus can be White, so can Emperor Guan.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

Slur or not, I'm still not going to be upset nor crusade to change it. I guess people just can't handle others freedom of speech.

Anyway, next Halloween I'm going to dress up as Guan Yu (關帝), no yellow face though because if Jesus can be White, so can Guan Yu.

I think, if you're going to exercise your freedom of speech to name a team after a racial slur, it's entirely within the realm of reasonability for others to exercise their freedom of speech to criticize you for it.

Also that sounds like a sick Halloween costume. Post pics.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think freedom of speech makes you immune from criticism. Invoking it as a justification usually seems like a way of not actually participating in discussion.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

unlimited shrimp posted:

It's not the people who understand and accept cultural appropriation who are getting upset itt though :confused:

Why do people keep making this leap between "cultural appropriation is a thing that happens that is bad" and "i am agry about cultural appropriation happening"

It's almost like some folks are extremely sensitive to any tangentially related social topic as an aspect of extreme social justice advocacy? weird

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Where does criticism becomes censorship? Since that is a fuzzy line, I like to ensure I'm as far away from censorship as possible. If that means people are offended, so be it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Well if changing the name is done as a voluntary act in response to public outcry I would not call that censorship. I feel it's fairly bizarre to consider criticism and agitation from private citizens comparable to mandates from a central authority.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

Well if changing the name is done as a voluntary act in response to public outcry I would not call that censorship. I feel it's fairly bizarre to consider criticism and agitation from private citizens comparable to mandates from a central authority.

Agreed. If the owner of the redskins changed that name I'm not going to cry censorship. But people earlier were implying that since the owner is obviously not going to change the name, maybe congress should step in, that seems pretty comparable to a mandate from a central authority to me.

Same with the weaselly political methods of reclassifying speech you disagree with as "hate speech" and thus not subject to 1st amendment protections, or perhaps fining organization that espouse views you find distasteful?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powercrazy posted:

But people earlier were implying that since the owner is obviously not going to change the name, maybe congress should step in, that seems pretty comparable to a mandate from a central authority to me.

'redskins' is actually a slur though, which are and have been regulated

are you one of those people who opposes everything the big bad government does on priniciple? you sound like one of those people

e: also "heritage not hate"

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 27, 2015

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Popular Thug Drink posted:

What "regulations" do you think apply to slurs?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Series DD Funding posted:

What "regulations" do you think apply to slurs?

you can't trademark a slur. the redskins keep getting stung in court for having their trademarked name and logo be racial slurs, it's probably headed to the supreme court in the next couple years

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Well then nullify their dang trademark status and let the Great Bootlegging begin. Market-based solutions.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Powercrazy posted:

Anyway, next Halloween I'm going to dress up as Guan Yu (關帝), no yellow face though because if Jesus can be White, so can Emperor Guan.

"Some of the people on the correct side of the issue have views I do not endorse. That means I will throw away the entire issue, and in fact fully participate in actions I know to be wrong. What a thrill it is to be racist!"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

are you one of those people who opposes everything the big bad government does on priniciple? you sound like one of those people

e: also "heritage not hate"

No? Why does my opposition to the government censoring bad words mean I am against the government doing anything? That's a bizarre leap.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

"Some of the people on the correct side of the issue have views I do not endorse. That means I will throw away the entire issue, and in fact fully participate in actions I know to be wrong. What a thrill it is to be racist!"

I assume you aren't familiar with Guan Yu? Because only people who aren't familiar with him would ascribe racism to dressing up like him, which was exactly the point I was making by specifically choosing him to dress up as, even going so far as to explicitly exclude "yellow-face" which would be racist.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powercrazy posted:

No? Why does my opposition to the government censoring bad words mean I am against the government doing anything? That's a bizarre leap.

you're bizarrely leaping from disapproval directly to censorship and in my experience, people who are overly concerned with their bad conduct being censored are paranoid about government as an extension of society exposing them as the wretched hateful people they truly are

i used to live with a guy who straight up hated black people though he wouldn't ever admit it and he spent most of his time blogging about first amendment issues, with a peculiar focus on the right to express himself without criticism!

your whining about government comes across as a little tinfoilish in regards to the actual facts on the ground, which is that the government at worst would write a Stern Letter and refuse to enforce copyright on the redskins name and logo. it's practically a thought crime :ohdear:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hakimashou posted:

If anything American Indians should be proud that we honor their fierce proud braves with our badass helicopters. The name "Apache" lives on and inspires fear in bad guys.

Some of them certainly don't seem to mind.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Hey PTD, I've come to Just Ask Some Questions about this very serious Slippery Slope Danger, please answer me.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

you can't trademark a slur. the redskins keep getting stung in court for having their trademarked name and logo be racial slurs, it's probably headed to the supreme court in the next couple years

And that law is a complete unconstitutional mess: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2015/03/ProFootballvBlackhorseACLUAmicus.pdf

e: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/09/us-music-slants-trademark-idUSKBN0KI1XP20150109

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

you're bizarrely leaping from disapproval directly to censorship and in my experience, people who are overly concerned with their bad conduct being censored are paranoid about government as an extension of society exposing them as the wretched hateful people they truly are

i used to live with a guy who straight up hated black people though he wouldn't ever admit it and he spent most of his time blogging about first amendment issues, with a peculiar focus on the right to express himself without criticism!

your whining about government comes across as a little tinfoilish in regards to the actual facts on the ground, which is that the government at worst would write a Stern Letter and refuse to enforce copyright on the redskins name and logo. it's practically a thought crime :ohdear:

Where does the "without criticism" part come from? Has anyone ever said that they believe the first amendment protects them from criticism?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

and? you asked what regulations applied, i told you, and it took you fifteen minutes to google up a proper goalpost moving response about how the government applies these regulations?

Powercrazy posted:

Where does the "without criticism" part come from? Has anyone ever said that they believe the first amendment protects them from criticism?

i was relating an anecdote about another guy i know (note: not you, probably) who was very concerned with being able to express himself without criticism. i'll repeat that person was not you, Powercrazy, so you probably shouldn't be offended that this other person had this opinion. thank you for not censoring me

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Did that other guy, who was not me, ever say that the first amendment meant you couldn't call him a racist?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
While I understand that there's a risk involved in letting speech be subject to standards of acceptability, I am at the same time unconvinced that its worth my time to stand with a bunch of rich men who don't want to change their team name to something other than the first nations equivalent of the Washington Kikes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powercrazy posted:

Did that other guy, who was not me, ever say that the first amendment meant you couldn't call him a racist?

i dont remember. anyway, what do you think the government would do? ban the use of the word redskins? if so, isn't that a little extreme?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i dont remember. anyway,

Oh. And here I thought that you were just misrepresenting his position, painting him as a racist caricature with inconsistent opinions and then applying those characteristics to me. Silly me, I guess I was just getting too hysterical.

quote:

what do you think the government would do? ban the use of the word redskins? if so, isn't that a little extreme?

I absolutely think if the government banned the word "redskin" it would be just "a little" extreme. Do I think government policy would be shifted to specifically targeting that word? No. Like I said I don't really care about the Redskins (except when they play the Cowboys). What I do care about though is the potential chilling effect that a supreme court decision would have on the "acceptability" of language.

While the trivial response is to dismiss it as just some rich white dudes getting criticized for being racist, I've never heard of the supreme court being that concerned with that topic before which implies that there is a significant effort behind it. So obviously it's not "just" some criticism and it's obvious that whoever is behind this case isn't satisfied with just criticism either.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

While the trivial response is to dismiss it as just some rich white dudes getting criticized for being racist, I've never heard of the supreme court being that concerned with that topic before which implies that there is a significant effort behind it. So obviously it's not "just" some criticism and it's obvious that whoever is behind this case isn't satisfied with just criticism either.

I don't think its necessary to start positing that there's a secretive cabal interested in instigating a chilling effect on speech when it's probably just Roberts thinking to himself that he could write a wikked sick opinion about corporate personhood using this case.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I don't think its necessary to start positing that there's a secretive cabal interested in instigating a chilling effect on speech when it's probably just Roberts thinking to himself that he could write a wikked sick opinion about corporate personhood using this case.

when all you have is a fig leaf, everything looks like a chilling effect on free speech and/or overreaching censorship of private thought

Powercrazy posted:

Oh. And here I thought that you were just misrepresenting his position, painting him as a racist caricature with inconsistent opinions and then applying those characteristics to me. Silly me, I guess I was just getting too hysterical.

you are getting kind of hysterical here about a theoretical thing that hasn't happened and probably won't happen. the right to use a racial slur for a football team name is a weird hill to die on bro

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Perhaps.

But I'm not talking about a secret conspiracy or shadowy cabal or whatever. Since this is still the United States, and it's not a secret trial, the plaintiffs are identified. One of the plaintiffs is from the US Patent Office, specifically the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and since that board is made up of people, obviously a plurality of them decided to deny the trademark, even though it had been granted before much to their chagrin. That board with a few different people had even tried to cancel it before and failed.

So it's clear they aren't just criticizing something they disagree with, they are actively attempting to coerce compliance using the legal system we have.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Considering the Redskins were formed in the 30s, when you probably could have named a team the Boston Thieving Wops and people would only be offended about being compared to Italians, I don't think the trademark was granted to anybody's chagrin. And yes I suppose the team is being coerced - specifically into compliance with the law.

Honestly I find the punk band case linked up thread more compelling. But thats just because I am an extremely biased person and am more sympathetic to a bunch of guys with guitars challenging the law to make a rhetorical point than I am to a corporation challenging the law to maintain their ~*brand identity*~

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
My disgust with current intellectual property law and disdain of corporate branding doesn't preclude me from calling out attempts at forcing a particular ~societal ideal~ using those systems.

And please "compliance with the law"? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

THE LAAAAAW

Specifically the law barring trademarks that bring people into contempt or disrepute, or are disparaging. Which the patent office decided the Redskins name was in violation of after complaint from the Native American community.

• Locked thread