Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there a good non-bullshit guide to Clover+Yosemite? I had a mostly working install, but it freaked out on me one day and started hanging at boot. After a week of screwing with it and trying all the things which I know to work on real true-blue Macs, I just cut bait and put Ubuntu on the machine. I kind of want to give it another shot.

The TonyMac guides/forums are full of cargo culting and I've concluded that there's no way anyone who goes through the guide can learn enough about what they're doing to be able to debug the process if it goes sideways.

Here's what I'm working with, btw, and if the motherboard here is a lovely one and there's a better choice in a mini-itx form factor I'm open to switching.

Core i7 4770K
Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi (although I know the onboard Wifi/Bluetooth chipset in this is not OS X compatible and I gave the mini-PCI card to a friend)
Geforce GTX 760 video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there a good non-bullshit guide to Clover+Yosemite? I had a mostly working install, but it freaked out on me one day and started hanging at boot. After a week of screwing with it and trying all the things which I know to work on real true-blue Macs, I just cut bait and put Ubuntu on the machine. I kind of want to give it another shot.

The TonyMac guides/forums are full of cargo culting and I've concluded that there's no way anyone who goes through the guide can learn enough about what they're doing to be able to debug the process if it goes sideways.

Here's what I'm working with, btw, and if the motherboard here is a lovely one and there's a better choice in a mini-itx form factor I'm open to switching.

Core i7 4770K
Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi (although I know the onboard Wifi/Bluetooth chipset in this is not OS X compatible and I gave the mini-PCI card to a friend)
Geforce GTX 760 video

Clover is a very broad topic. In short, get a USB drive and format it as FAT. Grab the latest Clover PKG off the Sourceforge.

Configure it (in the installer) like this

code:
Bootloader: Don't update MBR.

CloverEFI: CloverEFI 64-bits SATA.

Themes: Black Green (trust me)

Check Drivers64UEFI. You want every item in that entry.
Should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/V8G7SVc.png http://i.imgur.com/5ibuWIL.png http://i.imgur.com/NP3HE6Q.png

That'll get you installed. Once the install completes, go into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts and copy FakeSMC.kext into each folder in there.

That's enough to boot and install the OS. For Gigabyte boards, boot the drive as EFI and go into Clover Settings. Disable every DSDT patch it has enabled. Boot your install drive (make it using DiskMakerX or any other normal/legit mac tool you like) and go for it.

Once you got OS X installed post your config.plist here. I'll edit it (and explain how to do it yourself) so iMessage works and Clover doesn't try to do DSDT patches that aren't relevant to your board every time you boot.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 7, 2015

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I installed this thing on a VMware workstation VM and it runs fine, except for the graphics having no acceleration at all even after patching workstation to let me select it as osx and installing VMware tools.

Can I get accelerated graphics on virtual box?

If it maters I am doing this from Linux.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Celexi posted:

I installed this thing on a VMware workstation VM and it runs fine, except for the graphics having no acceleration at all even after patching workstation to let me select it as osx and installing VMware tools.

Can I get accelerated graphics on virtual box?

If it maters I am doing this from Linux.

There is no way to run it with QE inside VMWare/Virtual Box. The only way to do it (and few people do this) is to run it in ESXi with a supported graphics card directly passed to the VM via VT-D.

Most people use VMWare OS X installs to build a USB stick so they can install the 'proper' way.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

Clover is a very broad topic. In short, get a USB drive and format it as FAT. Grab the latest Clover PKG off the Sourceforge.

Configure it (in the installer) like this

code:
Bootloader: Don't update MBR.

CloverEFI: CloverEFI 64-bits SATA.

Themes: Black Green (trust me)

Check Drivers64UEFI. You want every item in that entry.
Should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/V8G7SVc.png http://i.imgur.com/5ibuWIL.png http://i.imgur.com/NP3HE6Q.png

That'll get you installed. Once the install completes, go into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts and copy FakeSMC.kext into each folder in there.

That's enough to boot and install the OS. For Gigabyte boards, boot the drive as EFI and go into Clover Settings. Disable every DSDT patch it has enabled. Boot your install drive (make it using DiskMakerX or any other normal/legit mac tool you like) and go for it.

Once you got OS X installed post your config.plist here. I'll edit it (and explain how to do it yourself) so iMessage works and Clover doesn't try to do DSDT patches that aren't relevant to your board every time you boot.

Awesome, thanks. I've got OS X installed, posting from Safari on a minimally working system booted off the Clover USB. I had to put this ethernet driver into the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 directory so it got injected at boot and got me working ethernet on one of the two ports. This board's got two ethernet ports with two chipsets, neither of which were supported out of the box.

Here's my config.plist, I'm assuming this to just be the default settings, including the default "true" settings on the DSDT patches I manually turned off at boot time.

http://pastebin.com/yAezWdji

For iMessage/Facetime to work do I need a ROM/MLB from a donor machine or is that how you get yourself screwed in the first place? I have two old Macs that I know work with iMessage, one a 2008 Mac Pro and the other a 2010 Mac Mini. One is collecting dust and the other I'm using as a home server. I had been using generated IDs in the past, and it worked until December when they seemingly cracked down.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

Here's my config.plist, I'm assuming this to just be the default settings, including the default "true" settings on the DSDT patches I manually turned off at boot time.

http://pastebin.com/yAezWdji

For iMessage/Facetime to work do I need a ROM/MLB from a donor machine or is that how you get yourself screwed in the first place? I have two old Macs that I know work with iMessage, one a 2008 Mac Pro and the other a 2010 Mac Mini. One is collecting dust and the other I'm using as a home server. I had been using generated IDs in the past, and it worked until December when they seemingly cracked down.

I'll post the edits and show you how to make your own once the Apple Event/some minor surgery I have later today are done with.

Donor values are the best. Properly generated (I'll explain how to do that too) are also very good. Apple can't tell the difference between a correctly generated value and a real one.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 9, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I made your config edits. [edit: removed as you already downloaded them. you don't want someone else using the exact same MLB value as you]

You want these apps to make Clover config edits.

Clover Configurator: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Clover-Configurator.shtml

A property list editor. I like PlistEdit Pro http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/

Clover Configurator can (and did, I already took care of it) generate you a valid ROM and MLB value. It pulls the ROM value from your mac address and makes a MLB (simple algorithm)

It makes it quite easy to edit. PlistEdit Pro lets you see what's going on inside. Your config is very simple, you can compare it to the example config and learn how to make your own by hand. It's a very simple structure.

I set your SMBios to MacPro3,1, the most compatible SMBios. It's ready to go. Throw it in the folder and reboot.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 10, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

New Security Update is out. Has a new kernel but no new audio driver. Safe for hackintosh.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody got a link to doing HDMI audio that is readable? As much good work Toledo does his instructions read like Bain cooking Meth on Payday 2.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The security patch doesn't appear to be safe for nvidia alternate gfx users. I am in the progress of rolling back. Attempts to reinstall the last 10.9.5 drivers gets rejected.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

The security patch doesn't appear to be safe for nvidia alternate gfx users. I am in the progress of rolling back. Attempts to reinstall the last 10.9.5 drivers gets rejected.

Go into NVDAStartup.kext and edit the info.plist. Go to the required OS line and set it to 14C1510.

http://i.imgur.com/qqquXFp.png

If you need the web driver, do note that any update that updates the kernel - security updates included - will need either waiting or editing, like this. 10.10.3, for instance, will need a new web driver update as Apple changed things. Editing won't work.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 10, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

A super helpful post which goes a long way into teaching a man to fish.

Thank you so much for your help. The new config.plist seems way easier to manage now, and with all the extra noise out of there I feel like I've got a way better understanding of everything going on under the hood.

Up and running now with great success, and I feel like this machine is already way less janky from the get-go. This time was able to actually get the onboard ALC897 working and ditch the USB DAC I was using. Either the native OS X driver had a bug or the DAC itself had a problem, but either way it seemed to make a loud "pop" on the audio every time you go to a web page that has a flash element on it, even if the flash element isn't playing audio.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

Thank you so much for your help. The new config.plist seems way easier to manage now, and with all the extra noise out of there I feel like I've got a way better understanding of everything going on under the hood.

Up and running now with great success, and I feel like this machine is already way less janky from the get-go. This time was able to actually get the onboard ALC897 working and ditch the USB DAC I was using. Either the native OS X driver had a bug or the DAC itself had a problem, but either way it seemed to make a loud "pop" on the audio every time you go to a web page that has a flash element on it, even if the flash element isn't playing audio.

No problem!

Cheap (~$10) USB Dacs like to pop/make noise a lot. Known issue.

Next up in my OS X guide series: how to get Clover to automatically patch AppleHDA. If one were to apply this patch, they can stop installing AppleHDA for ALCXXXX and HdaEnabler1 every time they take a major update.

If that's something you are interested in, check the thread later today :)

oohhboy posted:

Anybody got a link to doing HDMI audio that is readable? As much good work Toledo does his instructions read like Bain cooking Meth on Payday 2.

Which motherboard do you have?

And yeah, Toledo's stuff is even less readable than anything Netkas writes, and Netkas is Russian. Toledo is just smoking crack all day or something.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

No problem!

Cheap (~$10) USB Dacs like to pop/make noise a lot. Known issue.

Next up in my OS X guide series: how to get Clover to automatically patch AppleHDA. If one were to apply this patch, they can stop installing AppleHDA for ALCXXXX and HdaEnabler1 every time they take a major update.

If that's something you are interested in, check the thread later today :)
Oh cool, I'll keep an eye out. I made sure to backup AppleHDA so I can roll back and use your method.

This was a Behringer $30 DAC, so I expected better, but I honestly think in reality it was a $10 DAC under the hood with $20 worth of brand name recognition on it :v:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enMTW posted:

Go into NVDAStartup.kext and edit the info.plist. Go to the required OS line and set it to 14C1510.

http://i.imgur.com/qqquXFp.png

If you need the web driver, do note that any update that updates the kernel - security updates included - will need either waiting or editing, like this. 10.10.3, for instance, will need a new web driver update as Apple changed things. Editing won't work.

I am afraid that editing the version number doesn't fix the drivers. So anybody else who requires them will need to wait.

My motherboard is a gigabyte z97x gaming 7. Same hdmi info for a ga h97m hd3 would be great.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

I am afraid that editing the version number doesn't fix the drivers. So anybody else who requires them will need to wait.

My motherboard is a gigabyte z97x gaming 7. Same hdmi info for a ga h97m hd3 would be great.

I am using the web driver right now. http://i.imgur.com/jdzvhTw.png http://i.imgur.com/1BZexqo.png

My card requires the webdriver. Just editing the right version number - not the one at the top, the 'NVDARequiredOS' one fixes it.

If editing hasn't been working for you, here's a (slightly older) version of the WebDriver that doesn't do OS version checking. http://us.download.nvidia.com/dZAS8cBUHaT1cUk4pr4NBgqTMH8PbHXC/WebDriver-343.02.02b04.pkg

I'll do a big HDMI audio post once I get done with regular automatic Clover audio patching :)

enMTW fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 10, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am running 10.9.5 so yeah... Don't worry about it to much right now. I should have it in hand, just got to roll back again then not apply the patch.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

I am running 10.9.5 so yeah... Don't worry about it to much right now. I should have it in hand, just got to roll back again then not apply the patch.

Oh, right. Everything I'm posting about is relevant to 10.10 only. I have not tested that WebDriver with 10.9. Oops/sorry.

A new WebDriver will likely be out by tomorrow, anyway.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the help anyway, it lead me to one of your posts with some very nice tools.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
While Clover Configurator is a nice enough tool, anyone who's actually using Clover should really take some time and read through the entire Clover Configuration guide to get an understanding of how it works: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration

Also, while MacPro3,1 is generally the most widely-compatible baseline SMBIOS, picking one that actually best matches your particular hardware is preferred for best chance of everything (especially things like power management) working properly. For a Haswell build with nVidia dGPU, for example, that would be iMac14,2.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

GokieKS posted:

While Clover Configurator is a nice enough tool, anyone who's actually using Clover should really take some time and read through the entire Clover Configuration guide to get an understanding of how it works: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration

Also, while MacPro3,1 is generally the most widely-compatible baseline SMBIOS, picking one that actually best matches your particular hardware is preferred for best chance of everything (especially things like power management) working properly. For a Haswell build with nVidia dGPU, for example, that would be iMac14,2.

I agree with this, but one thing at a time. These guys are just getting used to Clover. Baby steps.

That's mostly a myth. Mac Pro 3,1 doesn't set any power management states, so PM works fine. If you pick iMac14,2 and have, for example, an AMD card (or switch to one later) you'll
have weird issues. When you are set as an iMac, packages that require a Mac Pro won't install (WebDrivers, for instance)

In the past, using a desktop Nvidia GPU with the SMBios of a iMac with a mobile one caused weird graphical corruption in flash video. Don't know if that is still a thing, but it used to be.

You should run a non-Mac Pro 3,1 SMBios on a laptop for sure, but there are no real benefits to doing so on a desktop (and lots of disadvantages, like having to use Continuity Enabler if you are set as anything other than a Mac Pro if you have a continuity-capable wifi/bluetooth card installed)

Though that last point only applies to pre-BT 4.0 iMacs SMbioses. You get the idea.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 10, 2015

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

enMTW posted:

That's mostly a myth. Mac Pro 3,1 doesn't set any power management states, so PM works fine.

I meant power management as in getting all power saving features (e.g. EIST, adaptive voltage, etc.) working, which is much easier on a properly matching SMBIOS rather than the generic MacPro3,1.

enMTW posted:

When you are set as an iMac, packages that require a Mac Pro won't install (WebDrivers, for instance)

In the past, using a desktop Nvidia GPU with the SMBios of a iMac with a mobile one caused weird graphical corruption in flash video. Don't know if that is still a thing, but it used to be.

You should run a non-Mac Pro 3,1 SMBios on a laptop for sure, but there are no real benefits to doing so on a desktop (and lots of disadvantages, like having to use Continuity Enabler if you are set as anything other than a Mac Pro if you have a continuity-capable wifi/bluetooth card installed)

Though that last point only applies to pre-BT 4.0 iMacs SMbioses. You get the idea.

nVidia web drivers have not required one of the MacPro Products for quite a while now - it will installs perfectly fine on an iMac SMBIOS. And no issues with Flash video either.

And AFAIK, only MacPro5,1 is one of the natively Apple-supported products for Continuity, not 3,1, so it would be required for that either way, and MacPro5,1 really is a problematic BIOS for a lot of reasons (having to hack around ECC RAM requirement, etc).

So I still maintain that picking the SMBIOS that most closely approximates your actual hardware is the best option.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

GokieKS posted:

And AFAIK, only MacPro5,1 is one of the natively Apple-supported products for Continuity, not 3,1, so it would be required for that either way, and MacPro5,1 really is a problematic BIOS for a lot of reasons (having to hack around ECC RAM requirement, etc).

So I still maintain that picking the SMBIOS that most closely approximates your actual hardware is the best option.

Is there any reason other than that? I've been using MacPro5,1 (with cloned info) for a few months now and have Clover automatically patch out the ECC requirement and generate P/C-states. The ECC patch is the only thing I have to do differently vs. when I was using MacPro3,1, and the new SMBIOS actually increased performance for me.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

GokieKS posted:

I meant power management as in getting all power saving features (e.g. EIST, adaptive voltage, etc.) working, which is much easier on a properly matching SMBIOS rather than the generic MacPro3,1.

nVidia web drivers have not required one of the MacPro Products for quite a while now - it will installs perfectly fine on an iMac SMBIOS. And no issues with Flash video either.

Works just fine on MacPro3,1. Again, a myth. A modern bootloader handles all that for you.

I've had problems with the web drivers on non-Mac Pros before. Interesting that it works now - is it just that one version that installed on anything (no restrictions) or does the latest one work?

Still, there are going to be things that won't install. Capture Card drivers and whatnot. Anything PCI-E.

The Continuity part is straight up not true. Apple blacklists SMBioses for Continuity, but not that of the Mac Pro. This is public knowledge: https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool/

I disagree with that, and I strongly recommend not doing it (to anyone else reading) for reasons both big (having to edit install scripts to install the Web Driver or any other product designed exclusively for the Mac Pro, graphical corruption issues on certain SMBioses) and small (the iMac icon in System Profiler is ugly).

enMTW fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 11, 2015

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I tried a MacPro5,1 SMBIOS for a while (on non-IVB-E hardware), and had issues with power management as well as the ECC patch just randomly stopping working.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

GokieKS posted:

I tried a MacPro5,1 SMBIOS for a while (on non-IVB-E hardware), and had issues with power management as well as the ECC patch just randomly stopping working.

Yeah, 4,1, 5,1 etc are weird. Also the Mac Mini and certain iMacs.

Mac Mini SMBioses don't like dedicated GPUs. iMac12,1 (if memory serves) has corruption issues with off-brand GPUs.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

CLOVER AUDIO:

Step 1: Restore the stock AppleHDA. You /do/ have a backup, right? Reinstall it. Leave your HDAEnabler1.kext in the folder, though. The audio patch needs the HDAEnabler there to figure out what audio codec you have.

Step 2: Download this: https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/archive/master.zip

Extract it. Use Clover Configurator to mount your EFI partition (or do it in terminal, http://themacadmin.com/mounting-the-efi-boot-partition-on-mac-os-x/)

With the stock AppleHDA loaded and HDAEnabler in your S/L/E, run audio_cloverALC-100.sh in terminal. Open terminal, drag it in. Give it admin, agree to what it says, done.

That's it. It'll patch your AppleHDA and save the patch to your Clover configuration. Clover will apply that patch on every change to AppleHDA.kext (typically new versions of the OS) now. You don't have to delete HDAEnabler1.kext.

It's funny how complicated Toleda makes this sound. His guide is something like 5 pages of single spaced text.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 11, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

New Webdriver is out.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Apple released another security update. It changes the OS version again, breaking the WebDriver. Make the modification I posted a few posts back if you need it.

Nvidia released a WebDriver for 10.10.3 today. http://us.download.nvidia.com/ueIQ1cKffvn8R5wGRPgpshmH1Y7hvvFn/WebDriver-343.02.03b04.pkg

This one will install on any 10.10.3 build - it only checks for 14D. So the strict version check is gone now.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

I built a computer with recommended parts from the tomy mac site.

I created a Unibeast USB stick, and installed Yosemite. I made a single partition, as the installation guide I followed only made one partition. (tonymac's)

Given how likely it seems that the OS will break at some point, I decided I wanted a second partition to keep files. In Yosemite, I resized my boot partition using Disk Utility. I then created a second partition.

However, the hard drive no longer boots. (I just see a black screen with blinking cursor). I *am* able to boot into the hard drive and into Yosemite if I boot from the Unibeast USB stick. Booting from the USB stick forever seems silly, so I would like to install a bootloader of some kind.

I tried to reinstall the tonymac bootloader via MultiBeast, but it didn't work.

1. How might I install a bootloader on an installed Yosemite hard drive?

2. Is it possible to "uninstall" a kext? I installed a non-functioning audio kext, and I kind of want the Apple one back. :(

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 24, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
You probably wrote over the bootloader by resizing the partition is my guess. I'm pretty sure multiple partitions is not supported without using clover.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Yeah, you overwrote the bootloader. Now is as good time as any to move to a modern bootloader - CloverEFI can survive partition resizing.

As for the kext thing, not really. You (almost surely) replaced the stock AppleHDA with a modified one. Unless you have a backup (or find a copy online, or take a 10.10.X update) you are stuck with what you installed.

If you installed VoodooHDA, that's different. You can delete the HDAEnabler kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/ with no consequence, but they won't get your audio working again.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Captain Pike posted:

I built a computer with recommended parts from the tomy mac site.

I created a Unibeast USB stick, and installed Yosemite. I made a single partition, as the installation guide I followed only made one partition. (tonymac's)

Given how likely it seems that the OS will break at some point, I decided I wanted a second partition to keep files. In Yosemite, I resized my boot partition using Disk Utility. I then created a second partition.

However, the hard drive no longer boots. (I just see a black screen with blinking cursor). I *am* able to boot into the hard drive and into Yosemite if I boot from the Unibeast USB stick. Booting from the USB stick forever seems silly, so I would like to install a bootloader of some kind.

I tried to reinstall the tonymac bootloader via MultiBeast, but it didn't work.

1. How might I install a bootloader on an installed Yosemite hard drive?

2. Is it possible to "uninstall" a kext? I installed a non-functioning audio kext, and I kind of want the Apple one back. :(

Once you're booted with your Unibeast stick, try installing Clover to a (separate) flash drive — it runs a utility that should auto-configure itself with most of the same values the TonyMac poo poo injects. If that works and you like Clover, install it normally using the pkg installer. If not, it's not horribly difficult to install Chameleon manually, but there's a few steps involved so reply here if Clover doesn't work out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just when I thought I was out, they keep pulling me back in; I decided to resurrect my Dell Mini 9 for kitchen music duty, and of course had just deleted my old backup disk image last month :argh:

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

enMTW posted:

CLOVER AUDIO:

Step 1: Restore the stock AppleHDA. You /do/ have a backup, right? Reinstall it. Leave your HDAEnabler1.kext in the folder, though. The audio patch needs the HDAEnabler there to figure out what audio codec you have.

Step 2: Download this: https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/archive/master.zip

Extract it. Use Clover Configurator to mount your EFI partition (or do it in terminal, http://themacadmin.com/mounting-the-efi-boot-partition-on-mac-os-x/)

With the stock AppleHDA loaded and HDAEnabler in your S/L/E, run audio_cloverALC-100.sh in terminal. Open terminal, drag it in. Give it admin, agree to what it says, done.

That's it. It'll patch your AppleHDA and save the patch to your Clover configuration. Clover will apply that patch on every change to AppleHDA.kext (typically new versions of the OS) now. You don't have to delete HDAEnabler1.kext.

It's funny how complicated Toleda makes this sound. His guide is something like 5 pages of single spaced text.

So i cannot get this to work. I've had this particular machine set up as a hackintosh in the past with the audio working, but it's no go this time. Apparently my audio ID is set to 12, when it needs to be set to 0. I do not know what to do in order to change the 12 to a 0. The script asks me about using Clover Audio Injection and i choose y. it then says "Use Audio ID: 0" and i choose "y" as well. The script makes the correct changes to my clover config but apparently the Audio ID: 12 is being set somewhere else and clover isn't able to override it.

*edit* i should mention that i can hear a crackle out of my speakers during boot, which is more than what i was getting previously. OS X indicates there are no sound output devices though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lignicolos fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 28, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to check what OS version was installed on a backup disk image? I found my old Mini 9 backup, but have no idea what I'd updated to.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

lignicolos posted:

So i cannot get this to work. I've had this particular machine set up as a hackintosh in the past with the audio working, but it's no go this time. Apparently my audio ID is set to 12, when it needs to be set to 0. I do not know what to do in order to change the 12 to a 0. The script asks me about using Clover Audio Injection and i choose y. it then says "Use Audio ID: 0" and i choose "y" as well. The script makes the correct changes to my clover config but apparently the Audio ID: 12 is being set somewhere else and clover isn't able to override it.

*edit* i should mention that i can hear a crackle out of my speakers during boot, which is more than what i was getting previously. OS X indicates there are no sound output devices though.

Do you have an HDA Enabler installed? Remove whatever enabler you have now and install (or reinstall) HDAEnabler1 via Multibeast.....if that is your Audio ID. What board do you have?

Let me know and I will help.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

enMTW posted:

Do you have an HDA Enabler installed? Remove whatever enabler you have now and install (or reinstall) HDAEnabler1 via Multibeast.....if that is your Audio ID. What board do you have?

Let me know and I will help.

It's now working! When i read your reply I realized that the file i had in my kexts/10.10 folder was named HDAEnabler.kext. I downloaded the HDAEnabler1.kext file from the toleda github and put it in the folder, deleting the incorrect one. Rebooted and now things are up and running. Thank you!

I think at this point everything is working correctly with 10.10.2. Awesome!

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

Is there any way to check what OS version was installed on a backup disk image? I found my old Mini 9 backup, but have no idea what I'd updated to.

System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist will tell you what version of OS X is installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

lignicolos posted:

It's now working! When i read your reply I realized that the file i had in my kexts/10.10 folder was named HDAEnabler.kext. I downloaded the HDAEnabler1.kext file from the toleda github and put it in the folder, deleting the incorrect one. Rebooted and now things are up and running. Thank you!

I think at this point everything is working correctly with 10.10.2. Awesome!

No problem!

• Locked thread