Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

popejackson posted:

This thread is awful long and I didn't read through all of it. Can someone give me a quick answer on how I can begin the process to join? Do I just show up to a meeting and introduce myself?

If you are not patient enough to read the thread(which is long, but interesting!), you might need to consider that some lodges will make you wait quite a while to become a member. Are you patient enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Meeting with the local lodge tonight for my interview.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Double post ahoy!

Looks like April 9 I'll get initiated as an EA, absent a black ball out of nowhere.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Excellent! Good to hear. How WAS your enquiry, anyway? I assume that it went well, obviously, but how did you feel about the guys?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Real good. Around my age, some shared interests. Good folks.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

So most of you will probably remember me talking about learning all the lectures in my first year (last year). In the next two months, I get to face the downside to doing it, as our lodge will be doing two degrees a month for the next three months. I will be delivering all three lectures within two months, one of which being the degree for our annual inspection, with the Grand Master present. Wish me luck, brethren.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So my middle school is totally a front for a masonic conspiracy who cleverly concealed their involvement with totally obvious landscaping, right? (... they are clearly playing a very deep game.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5567759,-87.5020911,178m/data=!3m1!1e3

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

dwarf74 posted:

So my middle school is totally a front for a masonic conspiracy who cleverly concealed their involvement with totally obvious landscaping, right? (... they are clearly playing a very deep game.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5567759,-87.5020911,178m/data=!3m1!1e3

An unmarked car has been despatched to your location.

It will be easier for everyone if you quietly go with them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Loomer posted:

An unmarked car has been despatched to your location.

It will be easier for everyone if you quietly go with them.

I did. They handed me a casserole and went on their way. :tinfoil:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
J.D., not I.G. Help.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Loomer posted:

J.D., not I.G. Help.

IT BEGINS

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Hello Brothers,

I'm an EA from Europe (Romania) and I'll be getting my FC degree next meeting :woop:

Last lodge meeting a question came up regarding the Volume of Sacred Law used.
We're all of the same religion (orthodox Christians) and we were wondering how things are happening in a more heterogeneous lodge.

I'll spoiler the question below, if it's not OK for me to post it here, please PM me to remove it.

If there are Brothers of various religions, are any holy books other than the Bible opened up during regular communications? (not degrees, I know they can choose the Holy Book they want to be obligated on). Is anything read from them?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

cosmin posted:

Hello Brothers,

I'm an EA from Europe (Romania) and I'll be getting my FC degree next meeting :woop:

We're all of the same religion (orthodox Christians) and we were wondering how things are happening in a more heterogeneous lodge.

I'll spoiler the question below, if it's not OK for me to post it here, please PM me to remove it.

If there are Brothers of various religions, are any holy books other than the Bible opened up during regular communications? (not degrees, I know they can choose the Holy Book they want to be obligated on). Is anything read from them?

I don't think you need to spoiler that, it's not too revealing.

One of the lodges I'm a member at, the Holy Bible is opened ever time, but even the non-Christians in the lodge (well, the one) recognizes it as just a symbol for whatever our personal choice is.

At another lodge - a Traditional Observance lodge - the Holy Bible, Torah, and Quran are all placed on the altar. That lodge is a bit more... open-minded, I suppose. Living in the American South, it's rare to see anyone who isn't a Christian.

But during the degrees, the candidate can use any book he wishes on the altar.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Cool Corn covered it pretty well. Over here in California some lodges depending on their membership will use multiple volumes of sacred law, the ones that make sense based on the members beliefs. The volume used during a degree will be the one of choice of the person receiving the degree.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
My parents were going through my deceased grandfather's things and found his mason ring.

As a note, my grandfather has no male descendants (he had one daughter, who had two granddaughters including myself) and he has no contact with anyone from his side of the family. I'm a woman so I only do OES, but I'm the only person in our entire extended family that participates in any kind of masonic tradition. I can't even get my dad interested.

I feel like it would be inappropriate to wear the ring since I'm not a mason, but would it be considered tacky if I put it around a chain and wore it like a necklace? My grandmother currently wears his wedding band around her neck.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

legsarerequired posted:

My parents were going through my deceased grandfather's things and found his mason ring.

As a note, my grandfather has no male descendants (he had one daughter, who had two granddaughters including myself) and he has no contact with anyone from his side of the family. I'm a woman so I only do OES, but I'm the only person in our entire extended family that participates in any kind of masonic tradition. I can't even get my dad interested.

I feel like it would be inappropriate to wear the ring since I'm not a mason, but would it be considered tacky if I put it around a chain and wore it like a necklace? My grandmother currently wears his wedding band around her neck.

I seriously doubt any masons would think it's tacky. You might get invited to masonic events though.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

cosmin posted:

Hello Brothers,

In my lodge in Rural Australia, we only use the Bible though we do have a few non-Christian masons (including myself). No readings from anything else are permitted under the Grand Lodge ritual, though we do explain we use it primarily as a symbol.

legsarerequired posted:

It would not be tacky, but some might find it inappropriate. Ignore those people. What matters is you're honouring your grandpa in a way that I'm sure he'd feel proud of as a Mason, and keeping the Masonic tradition alive in the family. By rights, that ring should either be buried with him, returned to the lodge, or given to the person in the family most appropriate - and the OES granddaughter in a family with no interest is absolutely that person. Any mason who thinks its inappropriate after hearing why you're wearing it as a necklace can gently caress off and should be reminded of the tenet of B.L.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Loomer posted:

It would not be tacky, but some might find it inappropriate. Ignore those people. What matters is you're honouring your grandpa in a way that I'm sure he'd feel proud of as a Mason, and keeping the Masonic tradition alive in the family. By rights, that ring should either be buried with him, returned to the lodge, or given to the person in the family most appropriate - and the OES granddaughter in a family with no interest is absolutely that person. Any mason who thinks its inappropriate after hearing why you're wearing it as a necklace can gently caress off and should be reminded of the tenet of B.L.

The depressing thing here is that we found his apron and his ring four months after he was buried. :( I asked my parents about the apron back when we were preparing for his funeral, but my grandma's packrat tendencies are so bad that we basically can't find anything. It turned out to be buried under clothes that he hadn't fit in for years, decades' old photos of people who she doesn't remember, piles of Luby's receipts, etc. Cleaning her house has been an on-going project for at least three years now, and we still didn't find his stuff until this week. I wish I'd have unearthed it in time so I could have kept the tradition going. :\

EDIT: What I really hate is that his stuff was in this dresser-set with his old guns. My mom is extremely terrified of guns and she made me promise to never look in his dresser while going through their stuff, because she had this idea that they could accidentally discharge or something while I was shuffling things. The rest of the house was in such awful shape (piles of receipts with cat poops, a wagon inexplicably filled with oyster shells, etc) that I sort of just waved it off and focused on that.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 28, 2015

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Thank you all for your answers re: VSL, I have another question that's more of a research homework for me but I haven't found many references online so I was wondering if any you has read anything about it: the symbolism of the pomegranate in freemasonry.

I've read about the pomegranates on the capitals of the pillars (Kings 7:20) and the more obvious google searches and this is not a homework help type of post (because I actually enjoy the research), but if you have any references or personal knowledge, I'd love to hear!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The pomegranate, from the exuberance of its seeds, denotes plenty.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
The new issue of Knight Templar magazine has a pretty interesting article in it - "Masonic Philosophical Differences in the 21st Century". I think it'll be good for starting fights spurring discussion in my lodge's email list. If nothing else it does an excellent job of defining the terms of current factional splits I see in the craft.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Tonight the lodge votes on my petition :ohdear:

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Beerdeer posted:

If a black goat is left at your doorstep... Don't leave home tonight.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Glorified Scrivener posted:

The new issue of Knight Templar magazine has a pretty interesting article in it - "Masonic Philosophical Differences in the 21st Century". I think it'll be good for starting fights spurring discussion in my lodge's email list. If nothing else it does an excellent job of defining the terms of current factional splits I see in the craft.

As an outsider who has followed this thread from the beginning, the neo-ancient description fits almost perfectly the impression I've gotten from most of you and what I would be looking for if I ever join.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yes, consider me a neo-antient with the caveat that I do not approve of excessively high dues. If the dues are sufficient to cover a good South, maintain the temple and its furnishings in good form, and allow for prudent and generous charity, there is no need to artificially raise them. Men of worth with little wealth will be lost, while men of no worth but that of their wallet will be enticed.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Loomer posted:

Yes, consider me a neo-antient with the caveat that I do not approve of excessively high dues. If the dues are sufficient to cover a good South, maintain the temple and its furnishings in good form, and allow for prudent and generous charity, there is no need to artificially raise them. Men of worth with little wealth will be lost, while men of no worth but that of their wallet will be enticed.

Same. That particular idea I feel runs counter to Masonic principles. Consider the attire of the EA initiate, and the reasons thereof. I understand the idea behind excessively high dues, but if think that it would ultimately be detrimental to the fraternity.

Also: tomorrow night, I will be delivering the FC lecture to a packed house for my lodge's inspection. The Grand Master of our state will be there, along with representative bodies from every lodge in our district. I'm very excited, as this is my favorite lecture to deliver. If you are an ohio mason, PM me. If you're close enough, you could swing by the meeting and say hello!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

Have you heard back yet?

E: Taking charge of the EM degree for the Arch tomorrow. making GBS threads myself a little bit.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Innerguard posted:

Have you heard back yet?

E: Taking charge of the EM degree for the Arch tomorrow. making GBS threads myself a little bit.

I did! Taking my EA this Thursday at 7!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It has just fully struck me that they have made me JD, without having had a chance to be a S., O.G., or I.G. and observe the JD, right before a Third Degree with a planned First later in the year, and in all likelihood, I will be acting as JD at our installation.

help

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Hey, I know catholics are told by the pope that they cannot join our fraternity and that many kind of ignore that or pretend ignorance, but how about protestants?
Reason for asking is that my kids will likely go to a protestant school as it is the closest to our new house and it looks good but I don't want no troubles for them being a MM myself and my wife asked me not to mention it during the talks we'll be having.

I noticed this way to late, but are you in distress Brother?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

There are so many different flavors of Protestant that it is impossible to say. There are certainly some that think we're the spawn of Satan and so on.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If Protestantism were a problem for Freemasonry, there would be no Freemasons in the American Southeast / Bible Belt :)

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
This is a neat article I found in seconds googling "protestant freemason" :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposition_to_Freemasonry_within_Christianity

I have many opinions about all the things in this wikipedia entry.

e: the talk page too.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 30, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The book "A Pilgrim's Path" is a really good look at Freemasonry and its compatibility with American Protestantism.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
What *IS* the current deal with Catholicism? I know the KofC were sort of our opposite number for Catholics at one point.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
To my knowledge, the Grand Lodge of the Philippines is composed of mostly Catholics, and because I reside on the Pacific coast of the USA, I've me a bunch of Catholic Masons.
It looks like the old papal decree doesn't carry much weight any longer, at least in practice anyway.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Solvent posted:

To my knowledge, the Grand Lodge of the Philippines is composed of mostly Catholics, and because I reside on the Pacific coast of the USA, I've me a bunch of Catholic Masons.
It looks like the old papal decree doesn't carry much weight any longer, at least in practice anyway.

I'm just one of many Catholic masons. I never saw it as a big deal.

As for Protestants, it reminds me of a brother who is a minister in real life. He absolutely refused to be lodge chaplain. Something about needing a change of scenery.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
When I visited lodge in Ireland and asked exactly about that, the answer I got was along the lines of "of course we're Catholic, we're Irish. But the Pope isn't Irish, so we don't care much about that."

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Paramemetic posted:

When I visited lodge in Ireland and asked exactly about that, the answer I got was along the lines of "of course we're Catholic, we're Irish. But the Pope isn't Irish, so we don't care much about that."

I need to visit Ireland.

Thanks for the great responses and further thought made me realise that whatever my personal beliefs are, I will leave them out of the worldly education of my kids. The upside of a Christian school is that they educate broadly on all religions, as opposed to none at all. More knowledge is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

The book "A Pilgrim's Path" is a really good look at Freemasonry and its compatibility with American Protestantism.

Not to be confused with The Pilgrim's Progress, which is a very different book.