Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Has there ever been a Jurassic Park dino toy that hasn't had battle damage?

Most individual toys don't, actually. I was about to say that the Chaos Effect line didn't have it at all but one of the dinos did.

If you're feeling nostalgic, jptoys.com has pics of every JP toy ever made, including unreleased prototypes and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Xenomrph posted:

Jurassic Park toys were the best thing ever when I was a kid. Firing missiles, biting electronic dinosaurs with CAPTURE GEAR, dinosaurs and vehicles with DINO DAMAGE, hell yeah. :krad:

The objectively best Jurassic Park dino toy of all time. :colbert:

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I beg to differ. :colbert:

(Also all you juveniles were lucky you could afford a SNES/genesis. I had to make do with the NES Jurassic Park game and awesome music aside, that thing was frustrating as balls. )

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

KiddieGrinder posted:

Haha I still have that stored somewhere.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Zefiel posted:

God I loved that toy, but the arms always fell off and the foam/cotton poo poo would come out.

VVV They were basically the exact same toy, material-wise. If you squeezed just behind his head, he roared. If anything the young Rex was a bit firmer.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 27, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zefiel posted:

I don't know, wasn't that one like, solid plastic?

The reason I always rated the young one higher was because of the latex like neck, which meant you could sort of move his head around and open/close his mouth, which made devouring hapless G.I. Joes even more satisfying.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The legs, arms and teeth of the young Rex were tough plastic but everything else was soft rubbery stuff.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KiddieGrinder posted:

Confirmed, had this as a kid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

KiddieGrinder posted:

No the big one also had the soft plastic skin and if I remember right you could press around the neck to make it bit/roat and it was a huge toy and loving AWESOME.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

KiddieGrinder posted:

The reason I always rated the young one higher was because of the latex like neck, which meant you could sort of move his head around and open/close his mouth, which made devouring hapless G.I. Joes even more satisfying.

Nope. It was amazing, only the legs were solid plastic, the rest was the same latex-like material, so you could really get it to open its mouth. I did it with mine so much the mouth tore open and -then- the Rex could really eat the original JP figures years before Kenner figured out the Bull TRex

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zefiel posted:

Nope. It was amazing, only the legs were solid plastic, the rest was the same latex-like material, so you could really get it to open its mouth. I did it with mine so much the mouth tore open and -then- the Rex could really eat the original JP figures years before Kenner figured out the Bull TRex

drat I guess I missed out then. :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
This picture is a dirty lie. I refuse to believe one of these things ever stood on two legs without external support.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

^^^^^^^^
It was meant to use the tail as a third leg, you can see the crimp in the underside of the tail where it would bend.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No the big one also had the soft plastic skin and if I remember right you could press around the neck to make it bit/roat and it was a huge toy and loving AWESOME.

It also made electronic stomping noises when you stomped its feet on the ground.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Xenomrph posted:

It also made electronic stomping noises when you stomped its feet on the ground.

Ugh, kids should make their own sound effects, like I always did. Don't need no electronic doohickies to make sound effects for us! :corsair:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I remember it being too hilarious/embarrassing to replace the batteries on that thing as a kid...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah but in that pic it's only using its feet!

Anyway, combining that Rex with my Crash Test Dummies car was the best. You could accurately simulate a brutal attack with body parts everywhere :black101:

(I don't know why the roof is missing in that pic)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Haha I still have that stored somewhere.

Those are going for about $100 in eBay last I checked.

I have a complete set of Lost World dinos (the big ones) still in their original boxes in mint condition. I'm planning on selling them as we get closer to Jurassic World release date.

Wasting years of my youth working at Toys R Us is finally paying off!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

david_a posted:

Yeah but in that pic it's only using its feet!

Anyway, combining that Rex with my Crash Test Dummies car was the best. You could accurately simulate a brutal attack with body parts everywhere :black101:

(I don't know why the roof is missing in that pic)

God drat it, these were the absolute best. I had the huge test center would spend hours exploding pieces of cars/dummies all over the living room. It was a loving bitch to get the arms/legs/head back into the torso, though.

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!
Guys, the PS1 Lost World game had the BEST OST ever.

I've yet to see a game beat it. I honestly think its better than the Lost World movie sound track.

Link to OST playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXTspZhM05A

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

david_a posted:

You could accurately simulate a brutal attack with body parts everywhere :black101:

This is a drat dirty lie, those dummies' limbs started popping out on their own after like ten detonations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timby posted:

This is a drat dirty lie, those dummies' limbs started popping out on their own after like ten detonations.
All the people were lepers because it was Make A Wish Day at the park :ninja:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

feedmyleg posted:

I always roll my eyes at people who talk about how great old video game music is, but drat, if this were higher fidelity I could easily see it being some sort of current track of Com Truise or whoever does 80s throwback electro stuff these days.

The same guy who did the Jurassic Park 2 music did music for the SNES Waterworld game, and that is probably the only good thing about that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5YoFv09uQ

JacobinPhoney
Mar 21, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

I have that Rex! First JP toy I ever got! :parrot:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

the best JP action figure was obviously Nedry because he came with the tiny dilophosaurus (a cool dinosaur), water squirting action gun and you could rip his arms off for maximum dino damage

gently caress the Grant figure with the stupid net that tangled up all the time that poo poo was a pain in the rear end

i still have the Malcolm one with the big green missile launcher somewhere and should probably dig that out because i feel like I need to have a Jeff Goldblum action figure on hand, in case i need it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Just Offscreen posted:

I remember it being too hilarious/embarrassing to replace the batteries on that thing as a kid...

I never changed the batteries on mine. After a year or so the roar was a tinny electronic scream that could go on for over ten minutes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The best Jurassic Park toy was this bad motherfucker right here:

The Cyclops Raptor. This guy was the poo poo. He was covered in scars and slash marks from hardcore battles, his tail was crimped (like a bad break that didn't heal properly) and he was missing an eye. It was obvious that he had seen some serious poo poo and came out on top.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I know its been posted probably in this thread, but the Playstation Lost World game has the best secret ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuYUoLM8BNA

This right here is worth a watch.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Xenomrph posted:

...and he was missing an eye.

Calling it, Jurassic World ends with this guy coming out of the shadows and telling Andy Dwyer "I am putting together a team"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

david_a posted:

This picture is a dirty lie. I refuse to believe one of these things ever stood on two legs without external support.

Xenomrph posted:

^^^^^^^^
It was meant to use the tail as a third leg, you can see the crimp in the underside of the tail where it would bend.

I never got this one exactly for that reason, I was so disappointed that the toy fell back on the tail-dragging upright T. rex appearance when even the movie got it right that most theropods could balance on two legs just fine! Instead I collected fossil shellfish impressions from the limestone shards in the parking lot and saved up my allowance to buy the Children's Britannica.

It's me, I was really actually Egon Spengler growing up.

pilot dmc
Sep 7, 2004
The tail was crimped from being folded to fit into its box.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tim Whatley posted:

No idea why I haven't been following the thread considering I got a loving Jurassic Park tattoo the other day. But if you guys didn't know there's a completely new arcade machine out. Haven't seen it in the wild yet besides under plastic wrap in photos.

(Concept art, but that's exactly how it came out)
I found some videos of it and it looks a lot like the Lost World game (which was an awesome light gun game) but you have a loving machine gun instead. Dying to play this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okav1mk6sDQ

EDIT: I love the Archaeopteryxes exploding into gore when they're shot

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
The best game is surely Warpath Jurassic Park. You can play out your dream dino death matches without all the boring philosophical and moral undertones of those other lovely games.

Also, something always bugs me about the first film. BD Wong's character is talking with Malcolm and Grant, vaguely reassuring them that unchecked reproduction won't happen and all that. Then Grant has a ball retracting moment of realization when it dawns on him what species of hatchling he has in his hands. Wu confirms his suspicion with an awkwardly put "um, hrmmmmm... Velociraptor." Is there something sinister behind his highly detatched answer? It's obvious that the geneticists are used to the sight of viable live dinosaurs at that point, but it's almost like Wong's first reading of that line or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The whole prevailing theme of the first Jurassic Park, summarized by Ian Malcolm two scenes later, is that Hammond & Co. were so quick to commodotize genetic engineering for profit that they didn't even stop to consider the implications of it. This is reinforced by Wu having to stop for a moment to even remember the name of the highly intelligent, lethal death monster being birthed in his own lab.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
True, but I figured Hammond was at least right when he argued that his staff had made impressive advances in genetics even though Malcolm probably accurately called them out on their piggybacking. I guess it's just a bit forward thinking to portray even top notch scientist as average schmucks in that regard. Usually the flaw (if any) of the scientific party is some kind of tragic event portrayed with grandeur and excess, but it's refreshing to show something more along the lines of Wu with "oh yeah um velociraptor I guess".

Is it made more complicated because we're motivated to side with the science of Grant and Sattler?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

My impression of that scene was always Wu being pretty blase about making a killing machine, not that he didn't remember the name. Grant knew they'd be incredibly dangerous to have around and he's shocked that they're hatching them. Also that they keep making more of them, even after seeing how violent they were. They could have stuck with a T-rex and padded out the rest of the tour with herds of herbivores to start with, but they went bigger.

It fits into the theme of Jurassic Park where Hammond and co. just make dinos because they can, but they don't really think through what it means to have to try and contain a 200 pound intelligent land shark.

"Oh, what's this in the corner here?"

"That? Oh it's just some velociraptor we whipped up. Yeah, their jaws are strong enough to twist up steel and they're good at pattern recognition and problem solving. Yeah, no big deal, got a big pile of 'em."

*brushes eraser crumbs all over disinfected state of the art hatching facility*

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mercury Hat posted:

It fits into the theme of Jurassic Park where Hammond and co. just make dinos because they can, but they don't really think through what it means to have to try and contain a 200 pound intelligent land shark.

This would be the intended theme of the book, at least: in genetic engineering, we're playing with forces we don't understand and may not be able to control. It's a popular theme for Crichton's works if you read any of his other material, replacing "genetic engineering" with some other new technology or field of science. Prey is that theme applied to nanotechnology, for example.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Cythereal posted:

This would be the intended theme of the book, at least: in genetic engineering, we're playing with forces we don't understand and may not be able to control. It's a popular theme for Crichton's works if you read any of his other material, replacing "genetic engineering" with some other new technology or field of science. Prey is that theme applied to nanotechnology, for example.

That's precisely why Wu can say what he did the way that he did: he is absolutely certain that the raptors are no threat. Not only did he genetically determine their reliance on man, they're in highly sophisticated cages built by sophisticated engineers and guarded by a sophisticated hunting expert. What's to fear? Hell, Hammond says "we have a T-rex" as if he's saying he has a Shetland pony in the back. None of the dinosaurs are considered a credible danger to anyone because they're safely contained behind human tech. Of course, all the scientists recognize the hubris immediately and accurately predict that the whole thing will fall apart in no time.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ServoMST3K posted:

Wu confirms his suspicion with an awkwardly put "um, hrmmmmm... Velociraptor." Is there something sinister behind his highly detatched answer? It's obvious that the geneticists are used to the sight of viable live dinosaurs at that point, but it's almost like Wong's first reading of that line or something.

The reason Wu seems disinterested in how dangerous the dinosaurs are is because he is disinterested. He's there to play with genetic code and poo poo. It's like grabbing a guy from Boeing's factory and saying "you know these things are used to kill civilians right?".

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mercury Hat posted:

My impression of that scene was always Wu being pretty blase about making a killing machine, not that he didn't remember the name.

Yeah, it's this. Think about Grant's earlier, reverential "try to show a little respect" speech about raptors and how that compares to Wu's "uh... velociraptor".

The raptors are great slasher villains in the original JP - they're our very first exposure to dinosaurs in the film and all the characters talk about them constantly, but we don't get a proper look at them until the last half hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

New TV spot with new footage played during The Walking Dead finale last night out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaWuNjHH2xA

It seems to confirm the I-Rex breaks into the Pteradon Aviary and lets them loose like a total dick. Also that it killed and ATE its sibling like an even bigger dick.

Also, the Mosasaur CGI shot has been changed again to include the hotel in the background and a closed living area unlike open water in previous shots.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 30, 2015

• Locked thread