Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Even if one of Rio or BHP didn't exist, they would still take the same tactic.

One event that can potentially change things is whether the ACCC gets new powers in competition laws to look at an effects test. An effects test would mean the ACCC would have the right to go after companies whose market dominance causes the -effect- of lessening competition.

It was a recommendation in the draft competition white paper, and if it comes into law, the ACCC are within their rights to go after BHP and Rio for anti-competitive behaviour, because their production levels can be seen to have the effect of lessening competition over the long term. All it takes is to push out the smaller players, and then a "tightening up of production" back to normal levels, and all of a sudden we're back at $70 iron ore with 2-3 major players, all the smaller players being closed or swallowed up, and the mining industry too scared to enter incase the majors try it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Murodese posted:

Productivity was significantly lower when you were younger too, though, and advances in technology is a large part of that.

To be fair though we had far fewer meta data tracking concerns as well.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
So when do they start collecting said data?

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
So I guess that's how Madame Pybe fixed his education bill woes? A nice fat internet tax. NSW don't be absent minded tomorrow: vote 1 Baird back. A smooth ride to the future.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Khagan posted:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Ignoring the fact that labor passed it, is it theoretically possible that if labor wins the next election they can repeal it before it actually does anything?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Splode posted:

Ignoring the fact that labor passed it, is it theoretically possible that if labor wins the next election they can repeal it before it actually does anything?

Sure, but they passed it, so...

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Khagan posted:

They'll let us know as soon as they've decided how to actually do it.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

katlington posted:

They'll let us know as soon as they've decided how to actually do it.

George Brandis was seen at Office Works asking about a 2 Exabyte USB drive he thought he saw in their catalog.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Lid posted:

Labor nominee for Parramatta

:stare:

whathappenedtotheguyfromship2shore.jpg

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
guess this is just not worth commenting on:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/27/abbotts-ministers-testing-water-for-changes-to-senate-elections

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Given the names of the Labor members opposed and the reforms themselves being one that I've publically spruiked (specifically above the line senate voting as seriously 99% of below the line voters will just vote down their individual parties except when you really want to put Fred Nile last) these are very good changes that are long overdue.

gently caress the preference whisperer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, 2 of the 3 independents running in my region listed hotmail addresses on their NSWEC profile. Grouse. Bonza. You bloody ripper!!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm pretty sure they had a forced migration to @outlook.com - you had to go out of your way to keep a hotmail alias. A new brand of special there.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Kat Delacour posted:

I'm pretty sure they had a forced migration to @outlook.com - you had to go out of your way to keep a hotmail alias. A new brand of special there.

I can't imagine they would never remove the @hotmail alias, just that you wouldn't be able to sign up anymore.
The fact that thousands of websites use email address as an unchangeable username makes this equivalent to just turning it off.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

norp posted:

I can't imagine they would never remove the @hotmail alias, just that you wouldn't be able to sign up anymore.
The fact that thousands of websites use email address as an unchangeable username makes this equivalent to just turning it off.

yeah but the email address username could still be hotmail based as its just for the login, and the emails go to a new email address.

most sites that use email usernames also update your username with the address change in their system when you update the email address you wish to receive communication on.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I get what you're saying but it happened, although perhaps it was more avoidable than I remember. Since I moved to gmail long before I never went through it myself and didn't check loopholes but there was definitely a very big push to get people migrated to outlook.

^ also that, it's not as impossible as you're saying for it to be shut off, see every old person who won't leave bigpond for better isps because MY EMAIL

Edit again to say I checked and it was a forced migration, everyone now has a new @outlook as their primary email and their old @hotmail as an alias. These people are married to their lovely email addresses.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 27, 2015

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
There was no forced migration of anything other than the web interface changing from hotmail.com to live.com/outlook.com

You never had to choose or avoid anything to keep your hotmail address.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Yeah, I've had a hotmail account for the last 14 years. Don't use it a lot now, but it still works fine.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

A Catholic priest has sparked outrage at a primary school in Melbourne's west over controversial comments he made about Jill Meagher's death at an end-of-term service.

The priest reportedly held up a newspaper with Adrian Bayley's face on it, before mentioning rape and murder to students, staff and about 100 other parishioners at St Christopher's Primary School at Airport West on Friday.

The 3AW Drive program, presented by Tom Elliott, was told the priest then said that if Ms Meagher had been "more faith-filled" she "would have been home in bed" and "not walking down Sydney Rd at 3am" when she was raped and murdered by Bayley in September 2012.

Primary school.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Lid posted:

Primary school.

They name the school but not the priest. Noice.

Also duh, they teach patriarchy young. I went to a baptist primary school which was later taken over by the Anglican schools corporation and when I said rape was a hate crime when I was in year six (1999) I got shot down by the vice principal who said the truth was in the middle and that rape survivors should be expected to be bitter and vengeful and therefore unreliable. My parents were called because I was sassy and back talked them by saying that maybe they were the reason rape victims are bitter. We were also taught in kindergarten that dinosaurs were not real, so my mum took my bro and me up to sydney that weekend to go to the museum to look at fossils and dinosaur skeletons and I strolled in to the next show and tell with a trilobite.

My year six matriculation award was 'Fruity Gordo, winner of the "I did it my way" award'. Because they had to give everyone something and literally all they could come up with for me was 'other' despite my consistently topping every standardised state test and making it to regional and state swimming championships three years in a row.

Ban religious schools. I was lucky as gently caress to have my mum who encouraged me to be awesome and try my best despite being continually shat on by the school and my peers, and to have escaped up to sydney when my parents finally divorced so I could go to an actual school from year 10 which actually wanted students to learn how to think. If I had stayed at that loving school in that loving town I would pretty much definitely have killed myself by the time I turned 18.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 27, 2015

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Booth crew checking in. gently caress it's early.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
i use @hotmail.com you mob of galahs

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

In the lounge at KL airport and the only Aus Newspaper is a dozen copies of the Courier Mail. Who's exporting that poo poo?

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Birdstrike posted:

Booth crew checking in. gently caress it's early.

Long day ahead.. I got a pretty sweet booth with my partner today.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Lid posted:

Given the names of the Labor members opposed and the reforms themselves being one that I've publically spruiked (specifically above the line senate voting as seriously 99% of below the line voters will just vote down their individual parties except when you really want to put Fred Nile last) these are very good changes that are long overdue.

gently caress the preference whisperer.

What do you think the chances of it getting through are?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I'll be headed up to vote after breakfast.

I have mostly decided on my preference distribution. 1 and 2 are Greens and Labor respectively. Last place is Fred Nile's party. I'm probably going to put No Land Tax in 3 because as much as I hate whiny single issue parties, I hate the Libs more.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fruity Gordo posted:

They name the school but not the priest. Noice.

Also duh, they teach patriarchy young. I went to a baptist primary school which was later taken over by the Anglican schools corporation and when I said rape was a hate crime when I was in year six (1999) I got shot down by the vice principal who said the truth was in the middle and that rape survivors should be expected to be bitter and vengeful and therefore unreliable. My parents were called because I was sassy and back talked them by saying that maybe they were the reason rape victims are bitter. We were also taught in kindergarten that dinosaurs were not real, so my mum took my bro and me up to sydney that weekend to go to the museum to look at fossils and dinosaur skeletons and I strolled in to the next show and tell with a trilobite.

My year six matriculation award was 'Fruity Gordo, winner of the "I did it my way" award'. Because they had to give everyone something and literally all they could come up with for me was 'other' despite my consistently topping every standardised state test and making it to regional and state swimming championships three years in a row.

Ban religious schools. I was lucky as gently caress to have my mum who encouraged me to be awesome and try my best despite being continually shat on by the school and my peers, and to have escaped up to sydney when my parents finally divorced so I could go to an actual school from year 10 which actually wanted students to learn how to think. If I had stayed at that loving school in that loving town I would pretty much definitely have killed myself by the time I turned 18.

ur an incredible iconoclast genius and forgotten swimming star thanks for this remarkable post, from a remarkable person

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Someone parked across a unit block driveway. Shots fired.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Democracy sausage pics people.

(Probably a bit early though)

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 27, 2015

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
There was no democracy sausage at my polling place. Reporting polling place for treason.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Intoluene posted:

There was no democracy sausage at my polling place. Reporting polling place for treason.

My polling place rocks - they do a bacon and egg roll in the morning then kick off the sausages after a reasonable time frame. Democracy Bacon and Egg Roll (your choice of sauce (as if! only BBQ sauce goes on bacon and egg rolls))

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
There's a cake sale here. They're selling whole cakes

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Just off my first shift of How to Vote.

No democracy sausage.

Was able to get a soy chia latte however.

Really hope the Nats get pushed into marginal territory in Oxley but I believe in human rights too.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Cartoon posted:

Just off my first shift of How to Vote.

No democracy sausage.

Was able to get a soy chia latte however.

What sort of commie-hipster wonderland is this?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Slim Dusty's crusty bottom.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
just finished my shift. It was really fun and friendly, even chatted with the liberal guy a fair bit (thankyou auspol for equipping me with good arguments).

Also I went to vote and discovered I'd forgotten to update my address, so I got to vote for Jenny!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Just got back from voting. Five libs, 1 Nile-ist, 1 Labor, and 1 elderly Greens person doing HTV at my local polling station. I saw a depressing number of people with the Nile HTV card (More than 0).

There were no sausages, not that I could eat them anyway. I had a bacon, egg, and hash brown sandwich instead at a local sandwich shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Putting Fred Nile last on every sheet with the Liberals just before him, felt good man.

• Locked thread