Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Excels posted:

the first 2 paper marios were really good, and the 2 after that were real bad

Super Paper Mario gets a pass because of the writing music being as good as the first to, even if the gameplay sucks and it has some of the most baffling design ideas ever.

E: hey, good writing isn't something you see much these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wow it's actually kind of appalling how terrible RE6 is. Like I knew going in that it would be bad based on other peoples' experiences with it but I didn't know it'd be THIS bad. It's not even bad in a fun way, it's just lovely.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

god drat mmos suck these days there is not a single one that looks interesting enough to install

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How do I play as Barry in Mercenaries, that is all I care about. What do I have to do to play as Barry in Mercenaries because I hear that's a thing you can do in RE5 or 6 or something.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Pillars of Eternity is really good and I'm glad I backed it.

Go buy it now.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Go buy it now.

I had to watch some gameplay of it to convince me. All screenshots of it make it look like either A) another loving indie rpg or B)We never left the nineties, engine included.

Seeing it in action shows how good it looks though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Wow it's actually kind of appalling how terrible RE6 is. Like I knew going in that it would be bad based on other peoples' experiences with it but I didn't know it'd be THIS bad. It's not even bad in a fun way, it's just lovely.

it amazing how bad you can apparently make resident evil, a game about herbs and shooting zombies

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

CJacobs posted:

How do I play as Barry in Mercenaries, that is all I care about. What do I have to do to play as Barry in Mercenaries because I hear that's a thing you can do in RE5 or 6 or something.

Mercenaries is still good in RE6 but I'm almost positive Barry never got added to it.

THAT SAID

RE5 on PC finally got Steamworks and has all the DLC finally, so you to can relive your fantasies of playing Barry "I have THIS" Burton.

Oh and RE:revelations 2 is like half about Barry, though that has Raid mode which is different from Mercs but still pretty fun

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Barold Burton is one of gamings top 10 beards

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VideoGames posted:

Barold Burton is one of gamings top 10 beards

gently caress yeah he is

edit: Above poster is right, Mercenaries is still good in RE6 especially with the ridiculous-rear end dodge moves you can do. I am glad the game's not entirely bad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Barry is my hero.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have headphones where the jack plugs into both the headphones and the device you're listening to, and as I stepped off the train, someone gestured wildly and somehow managed to rip them out of both the headphones and my phone, and now I have to figure out if there is actually a brick and mortar store where I can buy that cord or if I have to wait for online delivery before I can use my headphones again.

I am very grumpy about this!!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i'm excited for DMC4 remake

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Accordion Man posted:

Go buy it now.

A bunch of people are already having ctds and bsods every 5 minutes and this time they don't have a publisher to blame it on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some people have been having trouble but it's launch day for a major game; there's gonna be bugs. It's not nearly the broken pile of poo poo that was FONV launch or AP still is.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've only played through the very beginning so far but I can already tell they must have written a TON of dialogue, what with all the unique options based on stats and background. Unless they just front loaded it which I'll admit a lot of rpgs do.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PantsBandit posted:

I've only played through the very beginning so far but I can already tell they must have written a TON of dialogue, what with all the unique options based on stats and background. Unless they just front loaded it which I'll admit a lot of rpgs do.

Almost every game I've ever played is guilty of front loading the good stuff, since that's what people see on launch day streams and in trailers. Even all-time classics like Chronno Trigger are guilty.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Austrian mook posted:

Almost every game I've ever played is guilty of front loading the good stuff, since that's what people see on launch day streams and in trailers. Even all-time classics like Chronno Trigger are guilty.

It's not just that. A lot of people get stuck in games or lose interest and don't even finish them. I think maybe 3% of people who played Super Ghouls and Ghosts can tell you what the last stage is like.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Counterpoint: Final Fantasy X puts its best content (the ultimate weapon sidequests) at the end.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Counterpoint: Final Fantasy X puts its best content (the ultimate weapon sidequests) at the end.

This is actually true of most Final Fantasy games, come to think of it. The meat of the mechanics is always toward the end. Even FF VI takes a pretty long time to get you all of the abilities or even introduce magicite.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

(although the ultimate weapon sidequests are obviously the worst part of Final Fantasy X, the actual fun parts are definitely near the end)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

It's not just that. A lot of people get stuck in games or lose interest and don't even finish them. I think maybe 3% of people who played Super Ghouls and Ghosts can tell you what the last stage is like.

I can tell you what it looks like at 3am when you've been trying to beat it for like five hours. :suicide:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

This is actually true of most Final Fantasy games, come to think of it. The meat of the mechanics is always toward the end. Even FF VI takes a pretty long time to get you all of the abilities or even introduce magicite.
you can always spot a fuckin scrub when they say the World of Ruin was "bad" or "too unfocused". I hated most FFs (except 1 for a certain weird basic charm) but that poo poo owned hard

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The World of Ruin owns for a whole bunch of reasons and I can't imagine how dumb somebody would have to be to think it was bad

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there wasn't enough story in it or some dumb poo poo lmao

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The World of Ruin owns for a whole bunch of reasons and I can't imagine how dumb somebody would have to be to think it was bad

There's a lot of big dumb idiots who say that because the game turns incredibly open-ended and sandboxy it hurts the narrative and removes the urgency.

Hey idiots, the world already blew up, there really isn't a reason to rush anymore.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The world of ruin is great and has one of woolsey's greatest lines, when Kefka says the final fantasy people sound like chapters from a self help book

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The fight with Kefka and his tree of evil is also far and away the best final boss fight in the series.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

you can actually kind of see the idea between "everything after crono dies but before lavos" in the world of ruin, they're kind of the same thing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Especially because you can just straight up ignore the original protagonist and never get them back if you so choose. (You let Crono stay dead and you can just leave Terra to protect her adopted kids.) Setzer, Celes, and the Figaro brothers are the only characters you need to beat 6 if I remember right.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I downloaded the free RPG Maker and it seems boring and complicated. i was going to make a joke game and a game for just me to play, but it seems like you need some kind of a degree in in the bad program to do anything, so nevermind.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What's the point of a make games quick machine if you can't even churn out a game for jokes in 5-10 minutes?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I downloaded the free RPG Maker and it seems boring and complicated. i was going to make a joke game and a game for just me to play, but it seems like you need some kind of a degree in in the bad program to do anything, so nevermind.

Maybe look into older RPG maker editions? They're pretty straightforward.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason nobody harps on games like Hotline Miami for being made in Game Maker is because making a full game in programs like that is actually quite difficult sometimes to the point where you may as well have just coded it from scratch yourself. I don't know anything about RPG maker but I assume it's the same way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe look into older RPG maker editions? They're pretty straightforward.

you have to pay money for those.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

you have to pay money for those.

Hahahahaha

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The reason nobody harps on games like Hotline Miami for being made in Game Maker is because making a full game in programs like that is actually quite difficult sometimes to the point where you may as well have just coded it from scratch yourself. I don't know anything about RPG maker but I assume it's the same way.

The barrier of entry is tons lower, mostly since you don't really need to know any code at all to do stuff. Game Maker technically has a mode like that but it's pretty much crapola and everyone turns it off. Chef Boyardee and others have talked at length about how RPG maker allowed a lot of people who were very creative but not technically inclined to make a lot of goofy stuff back in the day.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

The barrier of entry is tons lower, mostly since you don't really need to know any code at all to do stuff. Game Maker technically has a mode like that but it's pretty much crapola and everyone turns it off. Chef Boyardee and others have talked at length about how RPG maker allowed a lot of people who were very creative but not technically inclined to make a lot of goofy stuff back in the day.

Modern RPG maker also has a real scripting mode and you can use it to pull off some impressive stuff. It's just that people usually don't bother

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like it seems like it would be a very good shortcut tool if you were thinking about seriously developing a game, but making a single room with some shelves and a bad where you get in the bad and some dialogue starts looks like it would take me well over an hour to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Bicyclops posted:

you can actually kind of see the idea between "everything after crono dies but before lavos" in the world of ruin, they're kind of the same thing.

whoa, spoilers!??

• Locked thread