Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, NAFTA was a colossally bad deal for workers throughout the western hemisphere and strongly contributed to the race to the bottom that's been going on the last 30 years. It's one of the worst things the Democrats did in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Oracle posted:

Uh, that was Clinton and the Democrat's fault, dude.

I'm not saying it wasn't, but it definitely effected manufacturing based rust belt economies far more adversely than tech heavy states. You had a lot of really proud blue collar people suddenly out of work as they literally saw their plants being packed up overnight and sent to Mexico. This happened to my father and a lot of my friends parents. That kind of slap to the face ingrains a deep seated hatred and bitterness in a lot of people that can never be overcome. American politics is very much a Team Sport. It's us versus them, and the other team hosed us over once and we'll be damned if we ever vote for them again, even if our current team is potentially loving us over even more now than the other team ever did.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Third Way dems are absolutely as culpable (if not moreso) as Republicans for the gutting of the american middle class via outsourcing and expropriation, but the GoP's ability to exploit this is somewhat limited by the fact that their platform is to double down on all that stuff.

I wonder if the Republicans would benefit from forming an economic protectionism wing (limited in national influence but useful in rabble-rousing) that would essentially be a reversion to dixiecrat form

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

I'm not saying it wasn't, but it definitely effected manufacturing based rust belt economies far more adversely than tech heavy states. You had a lot of really proud blue collar people suddenly out of work as they literally saw their plants being packed up overnight and sent to Mexico. This happened to my father and a lot of my friends parents. That kind of slap to the face ingrains a deep seated hatred and bitterness in a lot of people that can never be overcome. American politics is very much a Team Sport. It's us versus them, and the other team hosed us over once and we'll be damned if we ever vote for them again, even if our current team is potentially loving us over even more now than the other team ever did.
The way you worded it made it sound like Clinton just happened to be in the room when it happened as opposed to one of the cheerleaders.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Also, the complete demonization of unions has done more to kill any hope of a Democratic comeback in this state than probably anything else. Everyone knows someone that is a UAW employee that makes $50 an hour installing windshield wipers on an assembly line and hears all kinds of horror stories about how you can't change a lightbulb without 7 teamsters present and their union reps. The combination of jealousy over people that managed to retain their unionized manufacturing jobs post-NAFTA plus the right-to-work and at-will employment bullshit that has been pushed through pretty much driven the last nail in the coffin of organized labor ever returning to this state. You can be fired for no reason at all and if you did somehow manage to secretly organize a union they can just replace you with scabs.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Oracle posted:

The way you worded it made it sound like Clinton just happened to be in the room when it happened as opposed to one of the cheerleaders.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I'm simply relaying my experiences having lived here for 34 years. I'm not saying the Democrats are blameless in any way, I'm just saying that the Republicans have capitalized on it and have pretty much guaranteed a Republican majority for the foreseeable future due to bitterness and resent. Both parties are the different sides of the same poo poo sandwich that we are saddled with in this two party system. But being a pragmatist I'd rather support the party that isn't actively loving me over and enacting regressive policies that would be more appropriate in 1915 than 2015.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Any chance Cruz goes indie once he gets rolled over by an establishment GOP candidate? The hilarity that would ensue would be magnificent.

I never get what I want though, so he'll get the VP slot - unless his ego won't let that happen (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease).

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
VP Paul Ryan - The man with the mind for numbers
VP Ted Cruz - The man who is mind numbing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

a shameful boehner posted:

It's one of the worst things the Democrats did in the 90s.
I'd like to think it's tied for first with Clinton's "Workfare" welfare reforms, which are argued to have helped win his reelection.

DADT is also pretty bad from a modern point of view, but its hush-hush acceptance of gays as pod-people was a progressive victory at the time...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FilthyImp posted:

I'd like to think it's tied for first with Clinton's "Workfare" welfare reforms, which are argued to have helped win his reelection.

DADT is also pretty bad from a modern point of view, but its hush-hush acceptance of gays as pod-people was a progressive victory at the time...

Reminder that the original campaign plank was full gays in the military. But the conservative dems and republicans refused to agree, so DADT was the compromise.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

oldswitcheroo posted:

Hank Hill approves.

My dad says butane's a bastard gas.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

VP Paul Ryan - The man with the mind for numbers
VP Ted Cruz - The man who is mind numbing

So good with numbers, he doesn't even need to show his work!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

Why doesn't Evan Bayh run for governor? I know he hates the Senate, but it seems like being governor would remove most of the reasons he hated the Senate.

He loves the Senate. He's a loving lobbyist.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

PupsOfWar posted:

Third Way dems are absolutely as culpable (if not moreso) as Republicans for the gutting of the american middle class via outsourcing and expropriation, but the GoP's ability to exploit this is somewhat limited by the fact that their platform is to double down on all that stuff.

I wonder if the Republicans would benefit from forming an economic protectionism wing (limited in national influence but useful in rabble-rousing) that would essentially be a reversion to dixiecrat form

Economic protectionism and racism are natural allies, so probably.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I think you are partly making my point for me. I am postulating that if she wasn't married to Bill Clinton and otherwise politically connected, she is less likely to be a possible Democratic nominee. I don't deny that ambition is necessary for Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton to be in the running for Presidential Candidates right now, what I'm saying is that if the selection process for each candidate was truly independent and meritocratic, it's really unlikely that it would pick two people that closely related to prior selections. In other words, the selection process is not meritocratic, and is instead cronyism.

I don't think this is fair to Hillary Clinton. She is independently smart and ambitious and it's not hard to imagine a world where instead of marrying Bill she stays in Washington and continues rising in politics. Yeah, she ran for Senate as First Lady with no elected experience, but if she had spent the preceding 25 years building her career in Washington instead of being First Lady of Arkansas and then First Lady, it's not hard to imagine she'd have ended up in the Senate in 2001 anyhow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

Reminder that the original campaign plank was full gays in the military. But the conservative dems and republicans refused to agree, so DADT was the compromise.

DADT: Gays can serve in the military but must violate one of the core tenets of US military service: integrity.

DADT was so dumb.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mlmp08 posted:

DADT: Gays can serve in the military but must violate one of the core tenets of US military service: integrity.

DADT was so dumb.

The opposing proposal was "reaffirm firing all gays and investigating them, ensuring they got a dishonorable discharge which is basically a felony". Even people who got fired under DADT at least got to have an honorable discharge.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
code:
> One day a fourth-grade teacher asked
> the children what their mothers did for a
> living. All the typical answers came up --
> teacher, nurse, businesswoman, saleswoman, doctor, lawyer,
> and so forth. However, little Johnny was being
> uncharacteristically quiet, so when the teacher prodded him about his mother, he
> replied, "Well my mother's an exotic dancer in a
> cabaret and takes off all her clothes in front of men and
> they put money in her underwear.  Sometimes, if the offer is really good,
> she will go home with some guy and stay with him all night
> for money." The teacher, obviously shaken by this
> statement, hurriedly set the other children to work on some
> exercises and then took little Johnny aside to ask him,
> "Is that really true about your
> mother?" No," the boy
> said, "She works for the Democratic National Committee
> and is helping to get Hillary Clinton to be our next
> President, but I was too embarrassed to say that in front of
> the other kids." 

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol

not like me, I'm proudly working to get the actual people who put us in Iraq back in the executive :patriot:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

The opposing proposal was "reaffirm firing all gays and investigating them, ensuring they got a dishonorable discharge which is basically a felony". Even people who got fired under DADT at least got to have an honorable discharge.

Yeah, lesser of two evils but still dumb.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Yeah, NAFTA was a colossally bad deal for workers throughout the western hemisphere and strongly contributed to the race to the bottom that's been going on the last 30 years. It's one of the worst things the Democrats did in the 90s.

Do you have a link to further reading on this?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Between NAFTA and the repeal of Glass-Steagall, the 90's put into motion a number of things that have had a large effect on where we are now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spun Dog posted:

It's easy to forget almost anything about Evan Bayh.

Which is weird since is father was Birch Bayh:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes but the original guy was whining about who gets to be President not who gets to be a random dude with some leadership in a legislature. So the comparison needs to be made between what you need to do to be US President versus what it takes to become Prime Minister or President in a parliamentary system where the President is a separate head of state role from PM's head of government.

Fair enough

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Do you have a link to further reading on this?

Here's one.

Effectively, when NAFTA removed tariffs, it let businesses compete more freely across the national borders. A lot of blue-collar manufacturing work moved into Mexico, where labor was cheaper because wages are lower and employers don't have to worry as much about worker safety or health. Things got worse because the heavily-subsidized and controlled US farm industry basically ate Mexican agriculture alive, thus driving more Mexicans into the factories and accelerating the process.

There were a lot of jobs created in the States, but they tended to be white-collar jobs created by the flood of US investment going into Mexico and Canada. The US workers who lost their blue-collar jobs when factories relocated weren't qualified for the new jobs, and the states/feds didn't offer retraining or help.

NAFTA wasn't the huge disaster that critics predicted, but neither did it actually achieve its stated goals. Insofar as it was a success, it benefited the rich and upper-classes. The poor and working class got screwed, especially in places with unionized manufacturing work.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh Rand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV_kt9PRNKE

quote:

In a video posted yesterday by the Christian Broadcasting Network, Rand Paul addressed “a group of pastors and religious leaders at a private prayer breakfast” in Washington D.C. on Thursday

"In fact, the moral crisis we have in our country, there is a role for us trying to figure out things like marriage, there’s also a moral crisis that allows people to think that there would be some sort of other marriage.”

“We need a revival in the country,” Paul said. “We need another Great Awakening with tent revivals of thousands of people saying, ‘reform or see what’s going to happen if we don’t reform.’”

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

One Nation Under Aqua Buddha

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
We have a role to play in things like Marriage. And I am here to tell you it's the exact same role you happen to be playing right now. But y'know...maybe we can get a mob going?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm.. just going to leave this here:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/politics/ben-carson-obama-psychopath-gq/

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Tobermory posted:

Here's one.

Effectively, when NAFTA removed tariffs, it let businesses compete more freely across the national borders. A lot of blue-collar manufacturing work moved into Mexico, where labor was cheaper because wages are lower and employers don't have to worry as much about worker safety or health. Things got worse because the heavily-subsidized and controlled US farm industry basically ate Mexican agriculture alive, thus driving more Mexicans into the factories and accelerating the process.

There were a lot of jobs created in the States, but they tended to be white-collar jobs created by the flood of US investment going into Mexico and Canada. The US workers who lost their blue-collar jobs when factories relocated weren't qualified for the new jobs, and the states/feds didn't offer retraining or help.

NAFTA wasn't the huge disaster that critics predicted, but neither did it actually achieve its stated goals. Insofar as it was a success, it benefited the rich and upper-classes. The poor and working class got screwed, especially in places with unionized manufacturing work.

According that that article NAFTA was pretty good for Mexico as a whole though?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That whole GQ article is a really great read. There's a fun part where Carson is meeting some Israeli's for something described like a "Strategic summit" but it turns out it's a couple of PR people. They meet him at a memorial site and he asks them if where they're standing is protected by the IRON DOME and if some sound near them is gunfire.....but the article mentions there are also school children taking a tour through the same site. :laffo:

The interviewer also asks him if being at a memorial for six million Jews killed by Nazi's makes him rethink any of his claim that Obama's America is like Nazi Germany. He says no, it makes him believe it even more.

Goddamn I can't wait for this primary.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 27, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ben Carson at a live debate is definitely what I'm most looking forward to. I hope he doesn't flame out before then like Christie seems to be doing (because I was really looking forward to that too). Carson seems to be legitimately crazy and really very stupid and he's utterly convinced he's the smartest guy in the room. Even without a hostile or liberal moderator or opponent I can't imagine him making it through a debate without making a fool of himself.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Best part of the GQ article on Carson, in my opinion, was when he said the Syrian civil war was, "just like Ferguson".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

STAC Goat posted:

Carson seems to be legitimately crazy and really very stupid and he's utterly convinced he's the smartest guy in the room.

Not sure if this was on purpose but the GQ article mentions that this is a very VERY real thing. There's a section talking about his lack of experience and they ask him "but what if President Obama decided he wanted to become a neurosurgeon with no experience?" and he chided the interviewer for betraying an obvious lack of knowledge about Neurosurgery.

Joementum posted:

Best part of the GQ article on Carson, in my opinion, was when he said the Syrian civil war was, "just like Ferguson".

I've been kind of surprised at the different pulls each outlet takes from it. There's a gem every paragraph or so but it looks like that and the psychopath line are getting the most play.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

http://watchdog.org/207981/isis/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
First Ted Cruz campaign commercial just dropped on Vine. Say what you will, but dude is with it:

https://vine.co/v/O30F1F6m15B

Kind of clever, might go over with the kids.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Series DD Funding posted:

According that that article NAFTA was pretty good for Mexico as a whole though?

NAFTA was pretty good for the very rich in Mexico. For the poor, not so much.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ted Cruz seems to have a very wide head from front to back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, the event in that Ted Cruz photo was hosted by Jack Kimball. Who is Jack Kimball? Well, he's a former NH state GOP chair and he's got some stuff he'd like to share with you.

quote:

On Thursday, Kimball wrote, “Wake up America! Operation Jade Helm 15 (look it up) has now expanded to 10 states. It starts July 15 and ends in Mid September.”

His post linked to a YouTube video titled “Military Takeover Plan Revealed: Is Your State Next.”

On March 17, Kimball posted, “Urgent Urgent Urgent The US has gone to defcon 3 (yellow) and there has apparently been some air battles between our Air Force and Russia off the coast of Alaska. Just happened a short time ago. Check out this video then go to the defcon message board for further information (google it). Spread the word.”

And on March 11, he linked to a video purportedly showing an “armada of UFOs” over California.

I had almost forgotten about this, but in 2013 he was alarmed to see a convoy of white trucks driving on a highway in Maine and decided to alert the media to what he assumed (because what else could it have been?) was the UN invading New Hampshire.

• Locked thread