Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Apologies if these sort of questions have been asked before, I haven't sifted through all 22 pages yet. Interesting subject, though!

I'm a casual shortwave buff, and while usually I just tune in for foreign stations, religious crazies, and numbers stations, my Grundig G-6 picks up air traffic frequencies as well. I live just a few miles from PHF, so this has been my reference for where to dial in:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=3259

119.450 says "Norfolk approach". Does ORF handle PHF's traffic? Am I hearing just PHF, or ORF as well?

Question 2: here in Newport News, we're surrounded by military bases --- Ft Eustis, Langley AF, Norfolk Naval, Coast Guard at Cheatham Annex, etc. Pretty much any day that ends with "y" I've got some kind of military thing flying low over my house. Does the military air stuff operate through the same channels as commercial airlines when it comes to air traffic control, or do they have their own thing for security purposes? I'm guessing FAA regulates everything on the same page for safety, but just curious if y'all see, say, Oceana's fighter jets along with the Airbus coming into PHF and have to handle that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

JacquelineDempsey posted:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=3259

119.450 says "Norfolk approach". Does ORF handle PHF's traffic? Am I hearing just PHF, or ORF as well?

119.450 is one of many frequencies belonging to Norfolk Approach in that area. You will hear just a Norfolk Approach controller and all traffic under their control that are also on that same frequency. Norfolk does run the approach control service for PHF airport, but the frequencies listed in the information for PHF show different frequencies for approach/departure (but still belonging to Norfolk Approach). PHF also has a tower which has multiple frequencies in use.

For PHF airport specific frequencies see:

Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport
code:
NEWPORT NEWS TOWER:	118.7 257.9 348.6
NEWPORT NEWS GROUND:	121.9 348.6
NORFOLK APPROACH:	125.7 335.625
NORFOLK DEPARTURE:	124.9 335.625
CLEARANCE DELIVERY:	121.65 225.4 124.9
For Norfolk (ORF) frequncies, including ORF airport and the Approach/Departure frequencies for the nearby area, see:
Norfolk International Airport
code:
NORFOLK TOWER:	120.8 257.8
NORFOLK GROUND:	121.9
NORFOLK APPROACH:	118.9(010-080 & 180-310) 335.625 353.7(010-080 & 180-310)
NORFOLK DEPARTURE:	125.2 363.125 379.1
CLEARANCE DELIVERY:	118.5
CLASS C:	125.7(311-009)
AS ASSIGNED:	119.45 123.95 128.05 360.6 
CLASS C IC:	118.9(010-080 & 180-310) 353.7(010-080 & 180-310)
PRE TAXI CLNC:	118.5
The frequency your referenced, 119.450 shows up under "AS ASSIGNED." Without knowing Norfolk's SOP, I'm not sure what they use that frequency for specifically, in terms of what sector and/or for which airports under their jurisdiction. You'd need to be locally familiar or work there to know this.

quote:

Question 2: here in Newport News, we're surrounded by military bases --- Ft Eustis, Langley AF, Norfolk Naval, Coast Guard at Cheatham Annex, etc. Pretty much any day that ends with "y" I've got some kind of military thing flying low over my house. Does the military air stuff operate through the same channels as commercial airlines when it comes to air traffic control, or do they have their own thing for security purposes? I'm guessing FAA regulates everything on the same page for safety, but just curious if y'all see, say, Oceana's fighter jets along with the Airbus coming into PHF and have to handle that.

Military aircraft operating outside of specially established airspace, within the U.S., fly in accordance with domestic regulations. They do mix with civilian traffic and civilian air traffic controllers work them. In the case of Norfolk Approach, they are an FAA facility providing service to some of that area. Looks like Oceana Approach is there too. To figure out who runs what, refer to the airport pages from https://www.skyvector.com and look at the Airport Communications area in the center of the page for each airport.

KORF - Norfolk International is run by Norfolk Approach:
code:
NORFOLK APPROACH:	118.9(010-080 & 180-310) 335.625 353.7(010-080 & 180-310)
NORFOLK DEPARTURE:	125.2 363.125 379.1

KNTU - Oceana NAS is run by Oceana Approach:

code:
OCEANA APPROACH:	123.9 266.8
OCEANA DEPARTURE:	119.6 288.3
KLFI - Langley AFB is run by Norfolk Approach:
code:
NORFOLK APPROACH:	124.9(311-009)
NORFOLK DEPARTURE:	124.9(311-009)
To tie this all in with my personal experience in Corpus Christi, we (the FAA) do all of the approach control service for the Navy, within our airspace, including the Naval Air Station and outlying fields, except for their GCA, for which we work the aircraft to the final approach course then hand them off to a Navy radar controller for the final segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeAyNld0UXc

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 22, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The Ferret King posted:

lots of cool info

Thanks! I know squat about aviation, just a nerdette with a shortwave who finds this sort of thing interesting. Listening to a Delta flight coming in (I think? my reception's kinda lovely) right now.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 21, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Check out https://www.flightradar24.com and https://www.flightaware.com for live/delayed updates of air traffic near you. Flightradar 24 is ADSB based and more up to date.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thanks! I know squat about aviation, just a nerdette with a shortwave who finds this sort of thing interesting. Listening to a Delta flight coming in (I think? my reception's kinda lovely) right now.

Also, I'm not quite sure if TFK covered exactly what you were asking about military and channels. Yes, the military uses the same frequencies as civilian guys, but they also use UHF a lot of the time. Civs stick with VHF. Controllers typically broadcast the same transmission on UHF and VHF. I'm simplifying this as much as I think I can? TFK probably covered it too and I missed it some how.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
No I glossed over UHF though we do us both as well. Slipped my mind.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Also, I'm not quite sure if TFK covered exactly what you were asking about military and channels. Yes, the military uses the same frequencies as civilian guys, but they also use UHF a lot of the time. Civs stick with VHF. Controllers typically broadcast the same transmission on UHF and VHF. I'm simplifying this as much as I think I can? TFK probably covered it too and I missed it some how.

To clarify, if you're listening on the Oceana Tower frequency, (127.075) you're going to hear the tower talk to the plane, but not the plane's response. The plane is broadcasting on UHF (360.2), and the tower is responding on both UHF (360.2) and VHF (127.075).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah, and for our purposes at Corpus, using UHF with the military doesn't hold much advantage (they all have VHF radios too, in our case) except that the pilots get an easy-to-use selection of "channels" that are paired with those frequencies. This makes switching between them quick and easy. Instead of tuning to a whole new set of numbers, they just move a switch or press a button (simulated photo):

Those radios can be set to pair each Channel from 1 to 18 to a specific UHF frequency commonly used in that area. If they fly outside their local area and need to manually tune a UHF frequency they can still do so, but the channelization makes repetitive frequency changes simpler.

The disadvantage to all of this, other than that many of the military trainer aircraft are old as poo poo and sound awful due to old equipment, is that civilian traffic is almost exclusively on VHF frequencies. The planes can't hear each other between VHF/UHF, but the controller can hear it all. Because of this, aircraft will often transmit at the same time, not realizing they're talking alongside/over an aircraft on a UHF frequency under the same controller's control, and keeping the frequency congestion down can be a challenge.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Marine VHF radios use channels for frequencies or frequency pairs (They're standardized so 156.8 MHz is channel 16. 156.4 is channel 8 or whatever, etc.), is here any reason not to do that with aviation VHF?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Could be that there are too many to realistically channelize. Aviation VHF comm frequency range for the U.S. is between 118 and 136MHz with separation between usable frequencies of 25KHz (I hope I'm saying this right, that's .025MHz right?).

So that'd start with:

118.200....etc up to 136.975

Boy that'd be a lot of channels. Think of how big that analog radio knob would have to be or what kind of technology would need to be in place in old aviation radios to make that feasible. A lot of this stuff was standardized way before the sort of modern avionics we have now. Might not be a bad idea to have a billion selectable channels on a digital device of some sort, today, but that wasn't available when the National Airspace System was designed.

This is just my educated guess, I'm not certain about any of this beyond the usable frequency range (published in the Aeronautical Information Manual and other aviation publications)

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 22, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Apply now!

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/398409000

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Ferret King posted:

Could be that there are too many to realistically channelize. Aviation VHF comm frequency range for the U.S. is between 118 and 136MHz with separation between usable frequencies of 25KHz (I hope I'm saying this right, that's .025MHz right?).

So that'd start with:

118.200....etc up to 136.975

Boy that'd be a lot of channels. Think of how big that analog radio knob would have to be or what kind of technology would need to be in place in old aviation radios to make that feasible. A lot of this stuff was standardized way before the sort of modern avionics we have now. Might not be a bad idea to have a billion selectable channels on a digital device of some sort, today, but that wasn't available when the National Airspace System was designed.

This is just my educated guess, I'm not certain about any of this beyond the usable frequency range (published in the Aeronautical Information Manual and other aviation publications)

The first aircraft raidos used (i think) 500kHz spacing, for 36? channels. As equipment got better, authorities changed channel spacing to 250kHz, 100kHz, 50kHz, 25kHz (where we are in the US), and finally to 8.33kHz (in Europe). That's 720 channels for the US, and 2880 for Europe.

Radios are smart enough to tune to the "right" frequency now. The controller says to dial in "108.01", so you do, and that's what the display reads, but the frequency is actually 108.00833MHz. Of course, if you're told 108.25, then it really is 108.250MHz.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

720 channels yet for some reason many of the local frequencies back home get stepped on all the time by other traffic.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

quote:

Radios are smart enough to tune to the "right" frequency now. The controller says to dial in "108.01", so you do, and that's what the display reads, but the frequency is actually 108.00833MHz
I thought it was more a case of the difference being so small that it doesn't really matter, rather than the radio saying one thing on the display but actually being on the "correct" frequency.

There are certain channels in 8.33 spacing that can be tuned into a 25khz spacing radio and used with little problem, whereas others cannot be as they are too far away from a 25khz boundary. I'm sure I remember that being a thing when the spacing was first introduced? They had to maintain compatibility.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

thehustler posted:

I thought it was more a case of the difference being so small that it doesn't really matter, rather than the radio saying one thing on the display but actually being on the "correct" frequency.

There are certain channels in 8.33 spacing that can be tuned into a 25khz spacing radio and used with little problem, whereas others cannot be as they are too far away from a 25khz boundary. I'm sure I remember that being a thing when the spacing was first introduced? They had to maintain compatibility.

So starting from 108.000MHz, your channels look like
108.000 (108.000MHz so actually "frequency 108.0", and not "channel 108.0")
108.005 (108.000MHz, but 8.33kHz spacing)
108.010 (108.00833)
108.015 (108.0167)
108.025 (108.025) "frequency 108.025"
108.030 (108.025 @8.33)
108.035 (108.0333)
108.040 (180.0417)
108.050 (108.0500)
108.055 (108.0500 @8.33)
etc.

If you've only got two digits on your display (common), then you see .00, .00 with some indicator that you're on 8khz, .01, .02, .03, .03*, .04, .05, .05*, etc

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Radios are smart enough to tune to the "right" frequency now. The controller says to dial in "108.01", so you do

Not in the U.S. you don't, that's not a frequency that would be used here. Or are you saying for elsewhere?

You could get 118.000 or 118.025 (which newer radios would show in its entirety, older ones would show "118.02" and the oldest wouldn't even be able to tune it at all).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Not in the U.S. you don't, that's not a frequency that would be used here. Or are you saying for elsewhere?

You could get 118.000 or 118.025 (which newer radios would show in its entirety, older ones would show "118.02" and the oldest wouldn't even be able to tune it at all).

What happens if you get "Unable" back for a frequency change? Aren't the frequencies pretty set for the different areas?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

hobbesmaster posted:

What happens if you get "Unable" back for a frequency change? Aren't the frequencies pretty set for the different areas?

*lalala* can't hear you

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

You're asking about aircraft that can't tune the .02s/.07s? There is almost always an alternate to use that ends in .00 or .05 that we can provide instead. It's not terribly common for aircraft to be unable to tune the .02s/.07s.

Frequencies are set for their given area, yes. Each ATC facility/airport/weather station is allocated a frequency or frequencies to use based on what's available without overlapping. Frequencies to be used by aircraft at higher altitudes have to be given a lot of space, geographically, before being assigned again to another facility. Ground control frequencies can be re-used at airports that are fairly close together, since everyone's on the ground. Our ground freq, 121.9 at Corpus International is also used at Brownsville International, which is only 110NM away, and it doesn't cause an issue because everyone using it is on the surface and the range doesn't overlap. A high altitude center frequency would need to be hundreds and hundreds (maybe thousands) of miles away from the next facility using that same frequency or else the communications would start to overlap.

Sometimes, when the atmospheric conditions are just right, the frequencies bounce around and skip long distances. I've listened to Houston Intercontinental Ground Controllers talking before, from my tower in Corpus.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 23, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I updated the second post with some newer information about the hiring announcement.

quote:

KEY REQUIREMENTS

US Citizenship is required.
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
Three requirements must be met to be referred for selection consideration:
Basic Qualifications
Biographical Assessment
Air Traffic Selection and Training (AT-SAT) Exam
This vacancy will be open for a minimum of 5 days and extended as needed

quote:

Age Requirements: A maximum age of 30 years is established for initial entry into air traffic control positions covered by Public Law 92-297. Persons who have reached their 31st birthday may not be originally appointed to these positions. If experience was gained as a civilian ATCS with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) or Department of Defense (DOD), you must have been hired prior to age 31. Maximum Retention Age: 5 USC 8335 (a) and 5 USC 8425 (a) require mandatory separation at age 56 in a career controller position.

Why the age 31 limit?

FAA controllers are forced to retire at age 56. You must be in the job for 25 years to qualify for your pension. So when hired at 31 you'll get your retirement benefit eligibility at the proper time. Why a prorated option isn't available I have no idea. I guess they really do want the full 25 years out of you. Though the FAA website says you must attend the FAA Academy by your 31st birthday, in the past they have considered your age "frozen" upon receipt of a tentative offer letter, which happens several months prior to your academy start date. Additionally, the FAA tries to expedite the hiring process from a certain point for those in danger of getting too old. At what point this happens, I'm not sure, but it's certainly after you've taken the entrance exam.

What's the Biographical Assessment?

Sample Questions Here

The Biographical Assessment (also called Biographical Questionnaire or "BQ") is a highly controversial screening test meant to ensure the FAA is hiring from a sufficiently diverse pool of applicants who are qualified to work as controllers. It's a character assessment of sorts. The FAA began administering this test last year during the open hiring announcement, and it disqualified a huge majority of applicants (up to 90% according to reports) which has caused a LOT of controversy, especially from folks who went to college specifically for ATC, those with prior ATC experience, and military veterans.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
I just applied for the second time. The test seemed identical to last time. Hopefully they grade it a little different. I failed last time.

I hold an IFR rating, as well as a Directors title in my current career working for a $40B company.

Let's see where this goes!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So - How do I cheat the BioQ to get my free multimillion dollar retirement?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Tell them you played all the sports in high school and were an A++++++ student.
From reading Stuckmic (grain of salt notwithstanding) it appears they're looking for someone who is confident and can deal with rapidly changing scenarios and works well under stress. IE obvious poo poo and treat it like a corporate survey. This is based on the results from last time, but it looks like the test is pretty much the same.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Yeah no questions about what I did in high school this time, but still plenty of questions where I didn't understand why I could only pick one answer. Well, fingers crossed!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Good luck to the applicants. Looking forward to the first Goon student with a Goon OJTI.

On The Job Training Instructor

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Applied. A lot more questions that last time. Now we play the waiting game.

E: On an unrelated note: well gently caress; my ATC 2 class was cancelled due to low enrollment. I took ATC 1 last quarter and was supposed to be taking 2 & 3 this quarter. If everything goes well I'll be in OKC some time in the fall. I was going to take my final math class and graduate at the end of the summer quarter. AFAIK they don't offer ATC 2 for the summer quarter. I'll be one class away from graduation.
Becoming a controller is my end goal, but it would be nice to at least come out of school with a degree.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 27, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The job posting will close today (Friday) at 11:59 PM ET. That's Eastern time. Get those apps in, folks.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Applications now accepted until Tues, March 31!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

I wonder if that's from them not getting as many applications as they were hoping or something like that?

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Boo! I submitted mine Monday morning. Close it close it!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Boola posted:

Boo! I submitted mine Monday morning. Close it close it!

Seriously close it!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Aauugh I must know if I passed the BQ!!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Applied since I'll never have the opportunity again.

Man I left a work party to make sure I finished in time tonight too.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
Application has been extended until March 31st so there is still time. Get on it! Come to Amarillo so I can get out :)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Zochness posted:

Application has been extended until March 31st so there is still time. Get on it! Come to Amarillo so I can get out :)

We just got one of your guys. Former manager at Navy Truax field. That'll be an interesting training process.

I don't envy going from the position of running an entire ATC facility to being the low man on the totem pole.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

We just got one of your guys. Former manager at Navy Truax field. That'll be an interesting training process.

I don't envy going from the position of running an entire ATC facility to being the low man on the totem pole.

We just got a retired Air Force officer who used to run Eglin, IIRC. Good dude, lots of coffee runs in his future.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

TJ (his operating initials at AMA anyways) is a good guy, hope he does well. I just toured ZSE today and was told I won the facility lottery so I can't wait to actually get here. Seems like a great place to work.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah, it sucks a big bag of infested donkey dick. Respect the guy's experience because most likely he has a ton of knowledge he is holding back on during training as to not make his "trainer" look like a complete god drat idiot.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I won't be around to watch it, thankfully. I've already seen several military controllers who didn't work out so well. Also saw a few that did very well. It just depends on the individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I listen to a fair bit of ATC recordings on youtube, I guess I'm weird and really enjoy listening to pilots and ATC. I sometimes hear banter between tower and plane on seemingly impertinent topics before/after takeoff and landing, or while on approach. (My terminology may be wrong, but the planes involved are probably below 10000ft.)

I was wondering, do the little comments and banter between ATC and planes violate the sterile cockpit rule, or does that only apply to conversations between crew on the flight deck itself?