Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Chilichimp posted:

tbf, if you're a sports journalist that's active on twitter and you don't know who PFTCommenter is, you deserve whatever is coming to you

Seriously, I have no idea how some don't know him yet considering his exploits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

Seriously, I have no idea how some don't know him yet considering his exploits

They're exactly as out of touch as we have all joked about.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think it's reasonable to have never heard of PFTCommenter, but how you can glance at anything he writes and not immediately realize it's satire is pretty incredible.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Burger Trench posted:

I think it's reasonable to have never heard of PFTCommenter

Even if your job is literally supposed to be paying attention to pro football stuff?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I'm sorry but if you ask Pete Carroll point blank about 9-11 football journalists should probably remember you

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Burger Trench posted:

I think it's reasonable to have never heard of PFTCommenter, but how you can glance at anything he writes and not immediately realize it's satire is pretty incredible.

I'd actually argue the opposite, at least on twitter. Part of what makes his shtick work so well is that on twitter he perfectly blends in with the idiots he's making fun of. No matter how outrageous some of his takes are some people are actually making them for real. It's only his articles that really show he's satire.

But at this point he's been doing it for years and probably taunted every major sports journalist so not hearing of him when it's your job to keep up with the scene is pretty unforgivable.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am not sure if I would count Bleacher Report as sports journalism though

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I mean, I don't know, I feel like you have to be a 20-something, Twitter-using football fan to be plugged into PFTCommenter's shtick. His highest profile gig is an SB Nation blog post. He's not featured or referenced on any mainstream sports news outlets and his real-life identity isn't known.

And I guess it's understandable that a random Twitter user might actually argue Obama is trying to move the NFL to Kenya, but why would a professional sports writer engage with that type of follower in the first place?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Burger Trench posted:

And I guess it's understandable that a random Twitter user might actually argue Obama is trying to move the NFL to Kenya, but why would a professional sports writer engage with that type of follower in the first place?

Have you seen professional sports writers?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Professional Sports Writers engaging in pointless twitter battles with dumb followers happens every week. It's kind of hilarious when some sports guy will respond to an idiot and tweet out burns. Sports writers, especially the B/R kind, are incredibly insecure and it's hilarious.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I dunno which group is sadder: sports journalists or video game reviewers. I guess video game reviewers are at least experts in their field with first hand experience.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

I dunno which group is sadder: sports journalists or video game reviewers. I guess video game reviewers are at least experts in their field with first hand experience.

Sports journalists think they have the impact on sports that video game fans think video reviewers should have on gaming.

Febreeze posted:

Professional Sports Writers engaging in pointless twitter battles with dumb followers happens every week. It's kind of hilarious when some sports guy will respond to an idiot and tweet out burns. Sports writers, especially the B/R kind, are incredibly insecure and it's hilarious.

Probably because the qualifications to be a B/R reporter are one step above examiner.com contributor

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 26, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The actual difference is that it's never been about ethics in sports journalism.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

sweet thursday posted:

The latter also gave us Gamergate, which has been at least as entertaining to me as PFTCommentator.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Gamergate is a great comparison to PFTcommenter in a way. We think everyone should know who he is but a lot of people don't. I think people who understand gamergate think everyone on the internet is familiar with it but I seriously have no idea what it is.

Almost all of my friends follow football to a degree, have Schefter on twitter, listen to radio, etc. but none of them know who PFTcommenter is, I guarantee it. I also hope it stays that way because they think I am the funniest person alive since I steal all PFT's best work.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I don't know if that's a fair comparison. I'm not talking about your average joe, who wouldn't know Gamergate or PFTC, we are talking sports journalists, the specific targets of his satire and the very people he has earned a reputation embarrassing these past few years. Like the average football fan on twitter probably has no idea who PFTC is and I can understand that, but the specific people he targets? The very people who's job it is to make these football hot takes and keep up to speed with sports media? A little less sympathy there. He writes for one of the most popular sports blogs on the internet and several others, and these sites all just steal content from one another, so being part of that circle and not knowing him is kind of rare.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Talking about a comparison between Big Ben and Winston

There both big fellas with absolute cannon arms that kind of horse around too much at times,, the only difference is one gets crabs from Publix, and the other gets it in public bathrooms. Internet trolls might try to point out that Browns offense of lineman Joe Thomas skipped the draft, but he stayed home to catch seafood with his dad, not stuff it down his pants at a local supermarket.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I tried to follow it, as much as one could, but I still have no loving clue what Gamergate is "about", all I know is a bunch of people got into amazing slap fights and had massive meltdowns at SJW's, or being called SJW's, or I don't know what, but it was funny and made everyone involved dumber simply by being present.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've done my damnest to avoid the whole thing and now you people are ruining all my efforts. Its all unraveling.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sash! posted:

I've done my damnest to avoid the whole thing and now you people are ruining all my efforts. Its all unraveling.

PFTCommentor should be celebrated, not avoided

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GeneX posted:

PFTCommentor should be celebrated, not avoided

He's talking about GamerGate.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Something about Ethics in Sports Journalism

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thaddius the Large posted:

I tried to follow it, as much as one could, but I still have no loving clue what Gamergate is "about", all I know is a bunch of people got into amazing slap fights and had massive meltdowns at SJW's, or being called SJW's, or I don't know what, but it was funny and made everyone involved dumber simply by being present.

Imagine there was a huge uproar about how a :siren: WOMAN :siren: that a Congressman was sleeping with was influencing them into introducing bills, with some paranoid about having men be deemed second class citizens forever and ever, knowing full well that politicians are frequently and openly bought out by corporations all the time.

Now imagine it's about video games.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shut the gently caress up about gamergate

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Shut the gently caress up about gamergate

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Somebody should tell PFTCommenter that he was compared favorably to gamergate

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Gamergate is the Tim Tebow of scandals.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
attn next person planning a post about gamergate, your post is going to be stupid and terrible

no offense to the authors of the previous two stupid and terrible posts

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
FYI, as of today Skip Bayless is still employed.

That is all.

Edit
Vvvv
Someday I'll get to confirm he is gone! Or i will die before that happens. Win-win situation here.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 27, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

FYI, as of today Skip Bayless is still employed.

That is all.

That's for checking in, Chiche. I wasn't going to, but I'll be sure to still not watch first take.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

http://nypost.com/2015/03/27/congrats-jets-fan-your-psl-money-goes-to-this-baby-papa/

Mushnick is a race-baiter who called the uproar over Donald Sterling a public lynching.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Quoting the article so no clicks fill that lich's phylactery.

It is good to know that because I use a different vocabulary from him that I will be a terrible baby daddy myself.

quote:

Thank goodness for extra-large favors.

Among the blessings of having not been born into a family that owns or can purchase big league teams is that we’ll never have to wrestle with moral dilemmas to determine whether we should write multimillion-dollar paychecks to those we wouldn’t allow to set foot on our seasonal estates.

To that end, the Jets have reacquired cornerback Antonio Cromartie, a 30-year-old fellow who, at last count, is the father of 10 children by eight women in six states.

No big deal. Jets fans, especially those burdened by PSLs and/or buoyed by booze, are expected to cheer for Cromartie based on nothing more substantial than the logo on his jersey.

With Cromartie back, we in the media can return to having sly fun with him, as if his children live in a cartoon world. The operative, hip phrase for at least seven of the mothers is “baby mama.”

“Baby mama” is so much slicker, more irreverent and far less personal slang for the reckless manufacture of children than any socially backwards, awkward reminder that while Cromartie’s an expert in the art of making mothers and babies, it seems impossible he is able to serve his scattered young children as a nurturing, I’m-here-for-you father.

There’s not a cheaper, more flippant, repulsive expression for fatherhood, motherhood, parenthood and childhood than “baby mama.” But here we are.

The odds against the children (and their children) of such “baby papas” are staggering, depressing. But on we go.

Interesting thing about the Jets’ PSLs. Nowhere in the contract did the club promise to aggressively and annually pursue creeps. But here we are. In Cromartie’s case, here we are again.

What is included, deep in those contracts, in plain, tiny-print English, if you got that far: Whatever previous claims and promises the Jets made to urge you to buy a PSL starting at $30,000 each (tickets not included) don’t count — fool!

Section 11, paragraph (e): “This PSL supersedes any written or oral agreement, instrument, application, promotional material, brochure, website information or other representation previously made, distributed or entered by or on behalf of their respective affiliates with respect to those matters.”

All of this comes with Roger Goodell’s approval and assertion that PSLs “are good investments.”

Antonio CromartiePhoto: Ron Antonelli

Nevertheless, the Jets can depend on a constituency that would cheer an escaped felon if he were wearing a Jets jersey. They’re known as unconditional imbeciles and they can be found cheering for “their team,” here, there and everywhere.

Here, the pep band is led by the won’t-grow-up team of Null & Void. WFAN’s Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts, unabashed sis-boom-bah Jets fans, give the simple-minded a bad name. ESPN’s Mike Greenberg, who refers to the Jets as “we,” sounded upbeat at the news Cromartie’s back.

Yes, he is! And only $7 million of his new, $32 million deal is guaranteed. Such a bargain! Your PSL money at work! And as John Sterling said of Alex Rodriguez’s return, “It’s not as if he murdered someone.”

Let’s see … 7 million, before taxes, divided by 10 children and eight mothers/baby mamas in six states …

J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wasn't mushnik the one who said Jay Z making the Nets uniforms black and white was promoting gang culture

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wasn't mushnik the one who said Jay Z making the Nets uniforms black and white was promoting gang culture

quote:

“It has come to our attention that some combinations of icons and colors on a select number of our caps could be too closely perceived to be in association with gangs.”

New Era had no idea its blue and gray Yankees caps were what the Crips liked; no idea the Yankees cap with the crown atop the interlocking NY were what the Latin Kings wanted; no idea Yankees caps designed with red and black bandana wraparounds were right up the Bloods’ alley.

Yep, pure accident, just a coincidence.

quote:

For 30 years, inner-city kids have been mugged and murdered for what companies such as Nike, often borrowing inspiration from street and prison gangs, have sold as overpriced, valueless status symbols

:jerkbag:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
he's right that gangs wear team apparel to match the gang colors but that is probably more suited to a wikipedia article than his column

also that column on Cromartie is a loving terrible thing to write

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

he's right that gangs wear team apparel to match the gang colors

Yes, gangs adopt and co-opt all the time, and that would be a totally normal statement for him to make! However he goes further and seems, to me at least, to be implying that New Era specifically designed these caps to appeal to those gangs. I feel like that is a leap in logic that is unsupported.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Just don't design clothes that are any shade or color at all, easy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dutchy posted:

Easy there, Chairman Mao

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dutchy posted:

then the gangsters will be dressed just like us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Really a gang is just a type of team when you think about it

• Locked thread