Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

It was $9 for the 11 oz when I bought it a couple months ago, which is actually the same price as Black Albert. It is by no means a "cheap" BA stout, but it's definitely worth a bottle or two.

$7.99 when I bought it on Monday. $16 for a bomber is pretty much the going rate for most poo poo nowadays sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Compusaurus posted:

Had a De Struise Cuvee Delphine aka BA Black Albert last night and it's amazing that this beer just sits on shelves. I had it on tap a couple years ago and it's just as good as I remember it. The only downside is that they list the calories on the bottle and state that it's a "2.68 serving beer" for a 11.1oz bottle. Thanks beer for making me feel guilty.

I think it's stupid that beer doesn't need to list calories. I never really thought about how many calories are in a BCBS (475) or Anti-Hero (200). You don't have to be a genius to know beer is high in calories but it'd be helpful to have nutrition facts readily available.

On a related note I'm dieting and cutting beer out entirely through June (excluding Dark Lord Day of course!) because this hobby has made me fat as hell.

Why couldn't I have gotten really into kale or something like that instead ugh

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

LeafHouse posted:

I think it's stupid that beer doesn't need to list calories. I never really thought about how many calories are in a BCBS (475) or Anti-Hero (200). You don't have to be a genius to know beer is high in calories but it'd be helpful to have nutrition facts readily available.

On a related note I'm dieting and cutting beer out entirely through June (excluding Dark Lord Day of course!) because this hobby has made me fat as hell.

Why couldn't I have gotten really into kale or something like that instead ugh

I work out pretty much exclusively to be able to drink beer without worrying (too much) about the calories. Went through a month period where some guys I played basketball with 2 or 3 times a week left town and I didn't find another game...gained 10 pounds before I got back into bike riding.

They should have to list them on the label, though. It'd help me make the decision not to have that 2nd barleywine if I picked it up and saw "500 calories" on the side.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I put on like 10 lbs over the holidays so I decided to work my way back to 175 lbs from 190 and I've done so while only slightly reducing how much I drink. I also burn like 500 calories/day minimum through exercise (skiing, road biking, fencing), but you can get that done in about 45 minutes of suffering on a stationary bike. I'm probably in the best shape that I've been in since moving to CO. I'd recommend the Myfitnesspal app as it helps you figure out a net daily caloric intake for X lbs/week of loss. Put in what you eat, put in what you exercise, and you can see how many calories beers you have left at the end of the day. I agree that it would really help if beer had nutrition info on the side.

It's been good not hating life because I can't eat certain things or not drink beer. Got like 4 lbs (hopefully like 3-4 weeks) left to go.

Also this chart is what I've been using to approximate and it seems fairly legit. This article explains why variation in FG produces only minor change in calories per oz at a given %abv.

(Easiest figure to remember is that 1 oz of 10% is 25 cal)

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
So a Black Tuesday is around 1400 calories :hehe:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

krustster posted:

So a Black Tuesday is around 1400 calories :hehe:

If it's 22 oz, it's actually closer 1800 as it has substantially higher residual sugars than average.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Another factor is not just the total amount of calories in a beer but also the impact on metabolic processes. Since alcohol cannot be stored your body focuses on breaking down alcohol over other metabolic processes. In addition, excess intake of calories (aka munchies) also plays a significant part.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Eejit posted:

If it's 22 oz, it's actually closer 1800 as it has substantially higher residual sugars than average.

(25 + 23.75) * 25.36 = 1 236.3

I'm on the Black Tuesday a day Diet

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

a worthy uhh posted:

(25 + 23.75) * 25.36 = 1 236.3

suck on that, monks!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

a worthy uhh posted:

You'll die from poor loving taste.

And diabetes.

Retemnav posted:

I work out pretty much exclusively to be able to drink beer

This. Four-ish times a week and I've cut out drinking as much as possible on weekdays when it's a gym day. I generally try to eat healthy-ish (balanced, at least) most of the time. But really, it's just so I don't feel bad about the copious amounts of beer I tend to drink sometimes.

Eejit posted:

II'd recommend the Myfitnesspal app

My fiance has been using this since New Years and it has worked really well. If I have one complaint it's that she now makes me measure everything when I cook, which is completely against my "gently caress following recipes" method. My other complaint is that she now will eat less to conserve calories for the glass or two of wine she wants at night...

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

LeafHouse posted:

As someone who has done, this and continues to do it, my suggestion is to not drink at all during the week. That combined with a proper diet will do wonders for you (and still allow you get to lovely on weekends, within reason).

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I gained a lot of weight since last fall, mostly because of beer, so I'm trying to cut back and forcing myself to go to the gym for every day I do end up drinking. It's working well so far.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
Let's Talk Beer 3: This is why you're fat

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

Let's Talk Beer 3: This is why you're fat

I like it, but I think it could be more mocking.

Let's Talk Beer 3: FATTYFATTY FATFATFAT. FAT. YUSOFAT?

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

I like it, but I think it could be more mocking.

Let's Talk Beer 3: FATTYFATTY FATFATFAT. FAT. YUSOFAT?

Alternatively, Let's Talk Beer 3: Would you like some beard with that gut, fatty?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Let's Talk Beer 4: Weight Loss Support Group

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i've put on 15lbs total since i graduated high school and i drink a lot. go, me!

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Man, if only you could sync untappd to myfitnesspal...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Lt_Tofu posted:

Man, if only you could sync untappd to myfitnesspal...

That would be nice! But I was shocked at what was in the MFP database. Fou Foune! All sorts of BCBS and variants! It's kind of crazy...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I don't bother putting individual beers in MFP. If I go out drinking I just add "shame", which is a real thing in the MFP database that's 2000 calories.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't know if anyone saw it already but Tired Hands recently tapped a super viscous IPA called Milkshake, which is a thinly veiled jab at that review one of the Alstroms wrote a while back where he said "beer shouldn't look like a milkshake." They even included this gem in the beer's description, "Inspired by experts everywhere". I got a chuckle out of it at least.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

That would be nice! But I was shocked at what was in the MFP database. Fou Foune! All sorts of BCBS and variants! It's kind of crazy...

dude, people gotta brag one way or another- "bro, i totally sweated off three loons with all those extra reps"

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Retemnav posted:

I work out pretty much exclusively to be able to drink beer

This is the way to do it. Gym 4 times a week, run 2-4 times a week, eat lots of veggies and lean meat, drink what you want, be happy.

Had Cafe Deth on Saturday at Revolution. So tasty. I would be a happy man if they added that to the Deep Woods series.

Edit - I tried to take a drinking hiatus for two weeks....I made it five days before I caved. Leafhouse, if you really go that long without drinking, major kudos because that is very impressive.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 27, 2015

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

danbanana posted:

Ratebeer has a calories calc for every beer that is just applying that formula from the chart someone posted above. I just get that info and do "Quick add calories" of the amount.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well this is interesting...

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/03/oskar_blues_perrin_brew.html

quote:

Michigan's Perrin Brewing sold to Colorado craft brewery Oskar Blues

COMSTOCK PARK, MI -- Big changes are afoot at Perrin Brewing Co.

On Friday, March 27, the 3-year-old Alpine Township microbrewery announced its acquisition by Oskar Blues Brewing Co. of Longmont, Colo.

Pending approval by the state regulators, Oskar Blues is buying 100 percent of the Michigan brewery in a deal orchestrated by a former co-owner of the state's largest beer wholesaler, who is taking over management at Perrin.

Keith Klopcic, who left West Side Beer Distributing in January, will become the new president at Perrin Brewing Co. under a deal that's been fermenting since the Michigan and Colorado breweries teamed up for a collaboration beer in December.

Klopcic replaces former brewery head Randy Perrin, a clothing manufacturer who is leaving the company after bankrolling the multi-million dollar operation that opened in fall 2012. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"Other than that, it's the same company," said Klopcic. "Nothing changes."

I just visited Perrin in person for the first time two weeks ago, they were large AND more packed than Founder's was the Saturday of KBS week. I wonder if they will start brewing some Oskar Blues stuff in Michigan now?

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Well this is interesting...

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/03/oskar_blues_perrin_brew.html

I just visited Perrin in person for the first time two weeks ago, they were large AND more packed than Founder's was the Saturday of KBS week. I wonder if they will start brewing some Oskar Blues stuff in Michigan now?

Perrin's always been kind of weird. They opened up a 12,000 barrel facility, bought and sold a bottling line, bought and sold a canning line (I heard a rumor Kuhnhenn got it). And I've only ever seen Kill 'Em All/With Kindness bottles in stores. Not to mention the custom luxury buses serving as booths at the Michigan fests. They seem to bleed money.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ExtremistCow posted:

Perrin's always been kind of weird. They opened up a 12,000 barrel facility, bought and sold a bottling line, bought and sold a canning line (I heard a rumor Kuhnhenn got it). And I've only ever seen Kill 'Em All/With Kindness bottles in stores. Not to mention the custom luxury buses serving as booths at the Michigan fests. They seem to bleed money.

Did you have either of those two bottles? I saw them somewhere in GR and they wanted like $15/btl which was more than I was willing to chance on them.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Did you have either of those two bottles? I saw them somewhere in GR and they wanted like $15/btl which was more than I was willing to chance on them.

Meijer near me has both for the same price. Not earth-shattering, but pretty good. I like the barleywine With Kindness a bit better. I wish they had bottled that bourbon barrel quad that's been floating around in kegs.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
You assholes just made me install MFP and now I've got 400 calories to work with for dinner. Thanks a lot.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ExtremistCow posted:

Word is (from distributor sales reps I'm friends with) that Perrin's owner has always "been in it for the money" and has been shopping the brewery for a while now. It wouldn't surprise me if they sold their canning/bottling lines to turn a profit or something.

Also add me to the "craft beer made me fat" club. That, plus starting a job in an office environment, has not been kind to me.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
Friends bday tonight and I've decided to pregame with Coffee Dino S'mores. I'm a bit disappointed actually since what I really liked about the beer is drowned out by the coffee. It's still a good beer though. But at $18/4pk it's ehhhhh.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
DCB DOS is... soy saucey. Not as sweet as I expected,either. Not my favorite and definitely not as good as Rare.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
alcoholics itt

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Yeah, I've been logging in MFP for a few days. I always do it for a bit then bail though. Gonna try for more long term logging this time around. If anyone wants to watch my glorious success or spectacular failure feel free to add me (same username). If you're only interested in the failure then just add me untappd and wait haha

I took part in the blind BIF over on TalkBeer and drat is that a cool BIF. The unboxing isn't as exciting but trying a beer without a drat clue what it could be is really interesting. Some I had nailed and others I couldn't even guess the style. I'll almost definitely arrange one on here over the summer unless someone beats me to it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah, I've been logging in MFP for a few days. I always do it for a bit then bail though. Gonna try for more long term logging this time around. If anyone wants to watch my glorious success or spectacular failure feel free to add me (same username). If you're only interested in the failure then just add me untappd and wait haha

I took part in the blind BIF over on TalkBeer and drat is that a cool BIF. The unboxing isn't as exciting but trying a beer without a drat clue what it could be is really interesting. Some I had nailed and others I couldn't even guess the style. I'll almost definitely arrange one on here over the summer unless someone beats me to it.

That's actually a cool idea for a share. I'm swamped until June (seriously) but if we want to organize a blind share with Chicagoons, I think that would be rad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It's crazy how popular the 394 beer is locally in San Diego. They run out of it like half the time I'm at Alesmith and I come here like every week.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sunday Morning Stout needs to stay under the radar, so stop buying it! If you already bought some, you should send it to me immediately.

Seriously, this compares well to BCBCS - amazing. I hope this becomes part of annual distribution.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
Welp, that pregame turned into just sitting around with my friend and drinking a few beers....

Boulevard Imperial Coffee Stout - I bought this because of Dan's review and to be honest, I was a bit disappointed. Coffee flavor wasn't as pronounced as I would like and overall there wasn't much there. It was just an ok stout.

Lagunitas High Westified Imperial Coffee Stout - I already posted about this beer and the review is the same: it's a really solid beer and at the price, it's just that much sweeter.

FSW 2014 Velvet Merken - Not much has changed in the ~8 months since it was released. It's still my least favorite of the BA series and I really only buy it because I am a FSW fanboy. Maybe more caramel notes on the finish?

Transient Sporadic #1 and #2 (Wine) - both are very very solid beers. #2 is definitely a lighter version of #1 and for that reason I would rank #1 higher. My friend had the bourbon versions and while he liked both, he mentioned that he didn't really get barrel notes from either. The both of these, however, definitely had barrel notes. Sour and vinegar but both were well balanced. More vinegar on #1 but not in a bad way. #2 can be chugged whereas #1 took more time.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Victory Kirsch Gose :love:

Victory rep brought me in a bottle of this to try, and I fell in love. One of the better Goses I've had recently. The cherry could have been a bit more prominent, but that's about my only complaint. Not too sour, not too salty... perfectly crushable. I'm gonna be picking up a six pack or two when it hits my area, and I suggest you all try it if you get the chance. Much better than their D'Town Gose (which I didn't care for very much).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apache
May 11, 2004

So going by that chart above, the 12oz Tweak I has last night was 720 calories, drat. It was good, nice bourbon barrel character and not too hot for a 17 percenter, but between that and the 22oz Nare Sugar Bourbon barrel brown ale I had before(385), comes more than half my calories for the day in MFP. The JJ Grey's Nare Sugar Bourbon Barrel was a good brown ale, but I didn't get any bourbon or oak from it at all.