Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

fat Ghost Wolf dude is a teacher; jake works (worked) in a scrapyard, if we're assuming the comic's to be trusted

even if we're not, holy poo poo can you imagine jake as a teacher

Not everybody comes back from war able to do their old job.

Or it could just be a case of the narrators being inconsistent as hell/lying all the time. Once that can of worms is open it's hard to get back.

RBA Starblade posted:

Their eyes are different colors (green versus grey iirc) and he's missing the scar, he can't be him.

OK you're right about the eyes, i still like my theory but it's probably not the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't think it's necessarily the case that Evan was also the journalist in Hawaii.

It's more likely than not, really. I mean, usually when they reuse character assets they change something, but that journalist and Evan look exactly the same as far as I recall. Which seems like it'd be a huge mistake on Dennaton's part if their intent was that they're separate characters.

Plus, the plot just fits together so much more neatly that way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

All there is is, in one of the interstitials, Beard says "this gives me a bad feeling, like right before San Francisco", or something to that effect.

The line is "I have a feeling that something bad is going to happen. I haven't felt like this since San Francisco."

E: And Jake not having a giant gently caress off facial scar is much better evidence of him not being the same guy as the Ghost Wolf.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

Fat Ghost Wolves character survives the events of HM1- he's visible watching the news in a bar in the first comic.

I don't think it's necessarily the case that Evan was also the journalist in Hawaii.

It's very clearly the same face

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nah, his head's tilted differently. Not the same guy.

Also poo poo does Evan wear lipgloss or something

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So ah, since this thread has helped inform me of all sorts of hidden gameplay tips, is there a way to have better luck picking up a certain weapon on the ground when there's multiple bats and guns lying around?

I'm in act five and the levels seem to be calling for some good old melee weapons, but if there's a shotgun anywhere near my guy he'll pick that up instead of the bat that is RIGHT next to him. I know HM1 had this issue, but its really cropping up in this set of stages

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Narcissus1916 posted:

So ah, since this thread has helped inform me of all sorts of hidden gameplay tips, is there a way to have better luck picking up a certain weapon on the ground when there's multiple bats and guns lying around?

I'm in act five and the levels seem to be calling for some good old melee weapons, but if there's a shotgun anywhere near my guy he'll pick that up instead of the bat that is RIGHT next to him. I know HM1 had this issue, but its really cropping up in this set of stages

Nope, this is a persistent issue in both games and it was very frustrating to me in that same act. If you have the opportunity to move yourself comically far to the side of the pile of weapons that might help!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Narcissus1916 posted:

Unfortunately not. It will gently caress you over at the worst moment, especially on hard where you're usually required to do lightning quick weapon swaps to take out fat dudes etc.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tulip posted:

I still think that's Jake, he just took a different route out of the power plant, though that makes the title 'casualties' a little ambiguous.

I don't know I think some Russians might have died that level.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

When we first meet Jake, he's shaving his blonde hair off. There's no other blonde characters, so we have to assume that he's the skinny blonde actress in a fat suit.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

What I don't get is the Fans in the bar in Hawaii. I mean, I guess it is just an Easter Egg, and not supposed to be relevant to the plot, because I can't think of any other way it really makes sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The comics detail Jake's backstory pretty in-depth, or at least in-depth for Hotline Miami. Don't read them though, they're kinda poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ambivalent posted:

What I don't get is the Fans in the bar in Hawaii. I mean, I guess it is just an Easter Egg, and not supposed to be relevant to the plot, because I can't think of any other way it really makes sense.

I'm pretty sure those are just different people.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pretty sure those are just different people.

I thought this for a long time, but I'm not as certain, simply because all their animations and haircuts are the same. It would be total plot nonsense to do it, though- and it wouldn't explain the black character in the corner playing a videogame.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The black guy is Pardo

Seriously why does it bother you that the Fans are in hawaii? The defining moment of the whole Hawaii arc is the Colonel showing up with his new face, and everything he says there applies to the fans as well. D Company are just not quite as badass as the Ghost Wolves, which is why Jacket ends up standing trial, and the Fans do not.

Plus, y'know, loads of masked killers are ex military.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I thought this for a long time, but I'm not as certain, simply because all their animations and haircuts are the same. It would be total plot nonsense to do it, though- and it wouldn't explain the black character in the corner playing a videogame.

Rasmus is a cameo.

The black guy is Pardo

Seriously why does it bother you that the Fans are in hawaii? The defining moment of the whole Hawaii arc is the Colonel showing up with his new face, and everything he says there applies to the fans as well. D Company are just not quite as badass as the Ghost Wolves, which is why Jacket ends up standing trial, and the Fans do not.

It's kinda weird that The Fans had no idea what 50 Blessings was and were trying to get the phonecalls if they were ex-army. Unless that plot point got cut like half the other ones.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 27, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

moths posted:

When we first meet Jake, he's shaving his blonde hair off. There's no other blonde characters, so we have to assume that he's the skinny blonde actress in a fat suit.

Actually there's another blonde woman... Alex. That means that Alex is actually the actress from the movie in the prologue, and she put real bullets in the gun to silence the actor because he was getting too close to the truth! :aaa:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The black guy is Pardo

It doesn't bother me, I am not raging at Dennaton because the Fans are in Hawaii. It just felt weird because the Fans feel characterized as, again, young, less experienced, who don't really know what they're doing (Corey's wearing like skateboard kneepads and stuff, iirc). The sort of implication is that they're copycat thrillseekers of Jacket, and not getting 50 Blessings phonecalls, nor are they scarred and bigoted against Russians. So having them actually be veterans from Hawaii seems to be something that isn't really reflected or reinforced anywhere else in the game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah, I see your point with that. It is explicitly spelled out that D Company are the other troops in the area and that they're comparative pussies, though. The real dyed-in-the-wool killers are Ghost Wolves, the pale imitations are D Company.

I wouldn't say the Fans are specifically characterised as young, though. Just lesser.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, I see your point with that. It is explicitly spelled out that D Company are the other troops in the area and that they're comparative pussies, though. The real dyed-in-the-wool killers are Ghost Wolves, the pale imitations are D Company.

I wouldn't say the Fans are specifically characterised as young, though. Just lesser.

Well, Alex is playing a gameboy and she/Ash wear football gear. They also talk in more slang.

Besides the Ghost Wolves storm a fortified Russian base with like 1 guy. Even if D-Company is comparatively bad they could be as good as 10 soldiers themselves. :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Anatharon posted:

Well, Alex is playing a gameboy and she/Ash wear football gear. They also talk in more slang.

That's not Alex- Alex is on the left side, next to Ash. The black person in the right corner playing a gameboy goes unidentified.

Part of the problem here is that all of the male Fans aside from Mark are apparently identically bald and white.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

That's not Alex- Alex is on the left side, next to Ash. The black person in the right corner playing a gameboy goes unidentified.

Part of the problem here is that all of the male Fans aside from Mark are apparently identically bald and white.

I'm talking about before Moving Up. No idea why both Tony and Ash are bald though. Maybe they felt if Ash was blonde people'd confuse him for Manny or Jacket.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
Bit late to Beard chat but I just want to point out that in the scene where he gets nuked, he's talking to Jacket and he could be consoling him about a breakup because he says something like 'time heals all wounds' before asking about the photo. The first time you see Beard in the first game, he says something about not having seen Jacket since he broke up with his girlfriend.

You might say I'm reaching there but I think it's a nice touch.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I also have no idea what the heck happened with the actor re-enacting the first game. The Pig Butcher stuff made less than no sense, and its the whole "no diea what was real and what was a hallucination" problem writ large.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Stargate posted:

Bit late to Beard chat but I just want to point out that in the scene where he gets nuked, he's talking to Jacket and he could be consoling him about a breakup because he says something like 'time heals all wounds' before asking about the photo. The first time you see Beard in the first game, he says something about not having seen Jacket since he broke up with his girlfriend.

I think he's just talking about the wounds Jacket's got from that explosion

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Stargate posted:

He actually says "losing your girlfriend". It might be sadder than just a breakup.

Basically, this is Jacket starting to get coma dreams, and Richter shot his girlfriend quite recently from his frame of reference. So his Beard-construct-fantasy dude is offering condolences on that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I also have no idea what the heck happened with the actor re-enacting the first game. The Pig Butcher stuff made less than no sense, and its the whole "no diea what was real and what was a hallucination" problem writ large.

He was acting in a movie. In level 4 he gets shot by a prop gun that isn't a prop, it is just a gun.

It is a microcosm of the whole game being about how violence consumes you and also a contrast for Manny, who is the exact inverse of The Pig Butcher. Manny is completely about blasé about killing people. Violence is just a job for him and he is entirely unemotional about it, but he desperately wants to be famous. It doesn't matter if it's as the cop that caught the Miami Mutilator or the cop that was really the Miami Mutilator. He wants to be a a loose cannon that doesn't play by anyone's rules but his own but he gets results consarnit!!

On the other hand, Martin Brown is completely disinterested in his movie stardom. He's famous and probably rich but he doesn't really seem to care or view it as anything more than just how it is. Inside he really wants to go out and kill people, so he instead acts it out in movies that seem completely real to him.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

He actually says "losing your girlfriend". It might be sadder than just a breakup.

Basically, this is Jacket starting to get coma dreams, and Richter shot his girlfriend quite recently from his frame of reference. So his Beard-construct-fantasy dude is offering condolences on that.

Huh, yeah. It's easy to forget that the timeline is actually more hosed up than it at first appears.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Yeah! Just beath the game. Now onto hard mode.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Well at the end of hotline miami 1, Jacket burns a photograph that is the same as the one Beard gives the guy he rescues. Additionally, they look the same, have the same habit of constantly smoking and both never talk.

A little late but I never felt likeJacket burned the photo. He takes it out, looks at it while smoking, then lets it go into the wind. Burning it doesn't seem to make sense.

It's two different conversations. The one before Beard gets nuked in HM2 is ambiguous as to what Beard is talking about, but could be him consoling Jacket about a break-up. The one after the first stage of HM1 has Beard explicitly consoling Jacket for the loss of his girlfriend, which is part of the coma dreams, pre-emptively about Richter shooting Hooker.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 28, 2015

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Stargate posted:

I thought he was talking about Richter shooting hooker.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I like to think the "time heals all wounds" speech was intended to be supportive of Jacket after he suffered some form of PTSD after being in the war, and what happened next set him off completely.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I am still looking 100% forwards to Hotline Kavkaz, and if you are not, you are a bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOVXxVZw0gU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The soundtrack is completely not Hotline Miami but it sure is baller af

http://steamcommunity.com/app/348020/discussions/0/611701999524121907/

quote:

Recently Bloodbath Kavkaz, a reckless Hotline Miami parody, appeared on Steam. The story about the adventures of the Caucasian Shamil in the night Moscow blew Russian Internet up (haha), and now lots of gamers are waiting to play it.

They promise Hotline Miami-style massacre, hallucinations from bad shawarma, the protagonist with 228 hat and crazy trash storyline with lots of Russian memes involved. The game is coming 4/20/2015.

So Fashion Petersburg (literal translation of the name of the site) decided to take an interview from Dagestan Technology, the developers of the game, and find out how this idea came in their mind and what can save Russian gaming industry.

WIP.

So, let's get started. How this idea came in your mind? Was it just a joke first, like "Haha, let's make something like Hotline Miami, but about Russia."?

Dev: First this was just a joke, but the idea was so serious, so we decided to make a full game.

Did you try to get to target audience?

Dev: No, just our own ideas that we liked. Of course we listen to our fans, but I don't remember that we implemented anything from fans feedback.

How is this game related to Russian politics? Or it's just a use of "actual context"? What do you think about Caucassian problem?

Dev: When we understood that we really want to be on Steam, we've cut all polical references. We really don't want to talk about it, since it's not a problem of Caucassus, it's about a corruption in our country.

So there will be no Putin telling you to kill the faithless?

Dev: It's not Putin, it's a mystery man from the protagonist's hallucinations.

Picture[modny.spb.ru]

Are you afraid of getting banned by Roskomnadzor[en.wikipedia.org]?

Dev: Yes, so we did a great work to make the game politically correct. We hope that everyone will understand that it's just a game. And Roskomnadzor has more useful stuff to do (besides blocking sites for any ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ reason they find - Translator)

What about an influence on kids? Aren't you afraid of some kind of gaming riot about the character?

Dev: The game is strictly 18+. And Shamil is the good guy, despite his cons. After all, he stopped being a puppet and discovered the great conspiracy that can destroy The Great Country.

Will there be any illuminati in the game?

Dev: No, instead there will be a gamemode where you kill brainless patriots.

Picture[pp.vk.me]

How did you meet each other?

Dev: First of all, Ilya (Sharafutdinov- I'll add devs' names when the translation is finished) is the main designer, programmer, etc. I wrote to him when the game came to Greenlight, because I didn't believe that he was actually doing this. We wrote each other and started working together. I am the producer and censor of the game. I also negotiated about the music in the game.

We understand shawarma and the hat, but who is Shamil? Does he have a real prototype?

Dev: No, he's just a typical Caucasian guy who wants to conquer Moscow.

Why the ending isn't oppositional or somehow accurate? Or is it a banter?

Dev: Everyone sees it in it's own way. Stupid ones see cheap clone of Hotline Miami, smarter ones see the nise postmodern project of our times. A cut of the epoch. Also, about Pelevin (famous Russian writer): there is a special ability in the game that he described in his novel "Chisla" (lit. Numbers) - Kandagar shooting. And, of course, we have the modern student jokes.

"And this is called Kandagar shooting. Some dervish is starting to spin, goes into trance, grabs the guns, raises his hands... And everything goes like a nightmare." - Viktor Pelevin, "Chisla"

Picture[pp.vk.me]

What's your opinion about the situation in the country?

Dev: We think that it's really bad and we don't want nuclear war. By the way, we wanted to do this ending, but we abandoned it since it is already in Hotline Miami 2.

The main question in Russia is about money, for the obvious reasons. How is the money involved in this? Was it someone's order?

Dev: No, this game is pure enthusiasm. We just love games and modern Russian culture. We paid only for Greenlight and engine license. Also we tried to push the game on Boomstarter (Russian Kickstarter analog), but we failed.

?

Dev:

Pretty much imagining the interviewer being

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 28, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Bloodbath Kavkaz, funded by Boomstarter, coming to Smoke next month. Pre order now!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it confirmed this is a real thing and not dennaton loving around

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAERw1XA0YE

This song alone should answer your question.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
What if Jake made a video game nominally about himself? That question will be answered April 20th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Finally finished this. I didn't get the achivement for not killing anyone as the writer though, what gives? Do you have to some how not kill that very first door man guy? There's no way to avoid beating the poo poo out of him right?

• Locked thread