Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Haggins posted:

Any recommendations on a decent scotch under $50? Wouldn't mind picking up something new without breaking the bank.

Peaty, sweet, middle ground, solid finish?

For under $50 and no understanding of you, I would go Glenlivet 12. If you want something with more body, character, mindicial qualities, with smokiness, Islay Mist 8, Laphroic 10, or Ardbeg depending on price and establishment. Middle ground, Glenlivet, craigganmore, glenkinchie, Glenfiddich 12, or on the sweeter side, tomitin 10, Macallen 12, or Deanston unoaked, if you got money to burn glenmorangie La santa cask .

Also for burbons, geeze, you'll have to give me a good day to find some I have tried. Jack Daniels, Willet, Bulliet, rebel yell, and hell even Jim Beam. Something on the Rye side, old overholt, bulliet rye, and willet rye (117 proof, 9 years aged?, $78.99 in my store.)

Blantons is solid but hard as all hell to find.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Haggins posted:

Any recommendations on a decent scotch under $50? Wouldn't mind picking up something new without breaking the bank.

glenfidditch, talisker, personally, I say save up another $40 and get a low end bruichladdich

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Haggins posted:

If you're not a peat fan the Balvenie 12 Doublewood is usually at or under $50 and is great stuff.

If you like the peat though then see the other recommendations.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Haggins posted:

Sweet, fruity: Balvenie Doublewood, Glenmorangie La Santa or Quinta Ruban, GlenDronach 12

Drier, ex-bourbon: Glen Garioch Founder's Reserve (if you can find it), Monkey Shoulder

Mild peat: Highland Park 12, Great King Street "Glasgow Blend" (blended with a high malt content, also mildly sherried)

Heavy peat: Laphroaig 10, Ardbeg 10

Super cheap, "good for the price:" Finlaggan (peated), Glenlivet 12 (sweet/mild), Bank Note (blended)

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Awesome, I just want to experiment and try new things. I usually end up enjoying anything I try and I haven't really narrowed down my likes and dislikes.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
What's like a more drinkable Jameson?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Above Our Own posted:

That depends upon what you mean by "more drinkable." Do you mean, "not as much young/harsh/bitter flavor?" If so then try Bushmills Black Bush. For that plus more interesting flavor, grab Redbreast 12 or Green Spot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Above Our Own posted:

At the same pricepoint, Tullamore Dew is a little sweeter. For some reason I can't stand the taste of Jameson but love Dew

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Arione posted:

glenfidditch, talisker, personally, I say save up another $40 and get a low end bruichladdich

Talisker for under $50? I want to go there. ALWAYS $70 and over in DFW area.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I posted about this a little ways back, but Trader Joe's currently has a good single-malt Irish whiskey for $25. It's literally an 8-year Tyrconnell aged in ex-bourbon in a TJ's bottle.

Thanks for all the recommendations, and this one in particular. I picked up one of these at Trader Joe's for a couple bucks more than Jameson. I don't have any Redbreast or Green Spot on hand to compare it to, but for half the price it's a drat good whisky.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Caddrel posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations, and this one in particular. I picked up one of these at Trader Joe's for a couple bucks more than Jameson. I don't have any Redbreast or Green Spot on hand to compare it to, but for half the price it's a drat good whisky.

Redbreast and Green Spot are both single pot still whiskeys (a mash of malted and unmalted barley) while Cooley's single malts are 100% malted barley, so they're very different styles. Next you should grab some Redbreast 12 to compare them. :)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Above Our Own posted:

comedy answer: anything but Jameson.

more serious: If you like Jameson but just find it too "harsh" or something there's always Black Barrel. Thing is though around here it costs just as much as Black Bush or JW Black which are probably better.

otoh, if you want something that costs about the same and doesn't taste like lighter fluid I'll second Tullamore D.E.W., or Paddy is another that's not bad. Hell if you've got money and time just try all the sub-$30 Irish whiskeys and see what you like. (This is the correct answer. :v:)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Paddy is my go to Irish whiskey.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Got the nikka coffey grain. Definitely not my style.. way too sweet, gonna save it for mixing. Yamazaki up next.

edit: Second night with it and it's actually growing on me. Guess I wasn't prepared for it to be this different from the Doublewood (I don't know poo poo).

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 26, 2015

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
For the first time ive had a few scotch and cokes. Ive had talisker 10 (cheapest and most "middle of the road" i had in the house) with coke zero and quite enjoyed it.

Bottle is empty; any recommendations for a good mixing scotch? Im guessing a less sweet scotch since the coke is so sweet

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Hmmm Ardbeg Perpetuum. I very much want to try this. http://www.whiskysaga.com/ardbeg-perpetuum-distillery-release/

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

ChickenArise posted:

Hmmm Ardbeg Perpetuum. I very much want to try this. http://www.whiskysaga.com/ardbeg-perpetuum-distillery-release/

just in time for my trip to islay :getin:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
What are some whiskeys similar to hibiki for mixing with soda? I mix at a 1:6 ratio out of convenience (2-shot shot pitcher, 12 oz can of seltzer water). I've also done this with knob creek and buffalo trace, but I didn't like them as much possibly because they're a different type of whiskey. Easier to find than hibiki would be good, cheaper would be even better but not really necessary

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

GEEKABALL posted:

Talisker for under $50? I want to go there. ALWAYS $70 and over in DFW area.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/talisker-10-year-old-whisky/

$50.50 close enough... :chiefsay:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/bruichladdich/bruichladdich-scottish-barley-the-classic-laddie-whisky/?srh=1

One of my personal favorites, tho 3.1 is better

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/bruichladdich/bruichladdich-23-year-old-1990-black-art-04-1-whisky/?srh=1

Arione fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 28, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Buying a birthday gift for someone who really likes Maker's Mark. What would be a nice bourbon a step up from that, i.e. "the good poo poo" with a similar profile?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

Buying a birthday gift for someone who really likes Maker's Mark. What would be a nice bourbon a step up from that, i.e. "the good poo poo" with a similar profile?

price range?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
W.L. Weller has a similar (wheated) profile

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Pappy Van Winkle is wheated. :haw:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Arione posted:

price range?

Let's say around $65-75 for a 750ml.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
try a bottle of blanton's, willett, or woodford reserve

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Stultus Maximus posted:

Pappy Van Winkle is wheated. :haw:

good luck selling your soul to find a bottle

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Got a little 5cl bottle of Glenfarclas 15 on a couple of recommendations as a taster before investing in a large bottle - anyone here got any opinions on it before I have a taste?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Let's say around $65-75 for a 750ml.

Maker's drinkers tend not to be the most adventurous of bourbon drinkers. You might just want to go with a bottle of Maker's 46. It's a step up in complexity from the regular Maker's. Same juice, but after six years of aging, they throw some charred oak staves in the barrel for a few extra weeks. Doesn't seem that drastic, but it helps fix a lot of the problems I have with Maker's.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
You could look for the Makers cask strength. Would be a good gift if you can find it.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Lowness 72 posted:

You could look for the Makers cask strength. Would be a good gift if you can find it.

makers is swill

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Big Bidness posted:

Maker's drinkers tend not to be the most adventurous of bourbon drinkers. You might just want to go with a bottle of Maker's 46. It's a step up in complexity from the regular Maker's. Same juice, but after six years of aging, they throw some charred oak staves in the barrel for a few extra weeks. Doesn't seem that drastic, but it helps fix a lot of the problems I have with Maker's.

It's a good idea, but I've gotten him a bottle of Maker's for his birthday just about every year. I don't think he would be averse to trying something a little fancier, he just likes to host a lot of parties and Maker's is a good crowd-pleaser to have on hand.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I think I've had Woodford Reserve before and remember liking it (what I did remember).

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Arione posted:

makers is swill

Maybe read what the guy was requesting next time.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Lowness 72 posted:

Maybe read what the guy was requesting next time.

He said his friend enjoys swill, and wanted something a bit better to give him as a gift, I recommended 3 good bourbons, perhaps it it you who did not read.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Snobbery itt

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Arione posted:

He said his friend enjoys swill, and wanted something a bit better to give him as a gift, I recommended 3 good bourbons, perhaps it it you who did not read.

your response was bad and you are bad.

i'd recommend basil haydens. i'm not a big fan of it but it's a very drinkable bourbon, and hits many of the same notes as maker's, so I can see a fan of makers enjoying it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well I mean, I really like Maker's Mark too. That's partially why I buy it for him all the time, I know we're going to be hanging out and polishing off that bottle at some point in the future. I mean, it's great if you regularly have the disposable income to blow tons of money on a high-end bourbon, but everything in between is pretty tasty to me as long as it's not loaded up with added sugar.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Well I mean, I really like Maker's Mark too. That's partially why I buy it for him all the time, I know we're going to be hanging out and polishing off that bottle at some point in the future. I mean, it's great if you regularly have the disposable income to blow tons of money on a high-end bourbon, but everything in between is pretty tasty to me as long as it's not loaded up with added sugar.

I know for me, it's not about wanting to drink high-end bourbons. Most of my favorites are under $40 - Evan Williams Single Barrel, Four Roses Small Batch, Elijah Craig 12 to name a few. Even for a wheater, Maker's is a little too soft and simple for me. Weller and Larceny are around the same price, and they do what Maker's does, only better. That's why I was surprised by Maker's 46, I liked it enough that I bought a bottle.

But I'll never begrudge someone who likes something different. You should drink what you like, how you like. Neat, water, rocks, soda- it's all good.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

exquisite tea posted:

everything in between is pretty tasty to me as long as it's not loaded up with added sugar.

what are some bourbons to avoid that are loaded up with added sugar?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
None are.

It would be illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I had all the honey variants in mind, they're way too sweet + syrupy for me personally.