Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
So, at a guess, how's the strength of the phantom nerf. Are they still going to be worth points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

So, at a guess, how's the strength of the phantom nerf. Are they still going to be worth points?

Phantoms are still great and have a place

But Phantom pilots just won't get to take 2 maneuvers after most other ships have moved, giving them super easy decisions. Also they won't completely shape the meta like they have been

Generic Phantoms now become a little more useful, too. And Intelligence Agent becomes useful

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If anything, phantoms have now become superb blockers regardless of anything else they were before. They automatically get a decloak before even 0 skill pilots move, so their potential to utterly gently caress up everything is even greater, at the cost of some of their own maneuvering.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

New tournament rules again.

quote:

In events where players provide their own playmats, only official FFG X-WingTM Playmats are allowed. This is to guarantee a consistent experience for all players and prevent any advantage players may gain from familiarity with a particular playmat that is not widely available. FFG playmats are widely available for examination and play. If a venue provides playmats for their event, they may use third-party playmats. Players may replace third-party playmats if they provide their own FFG playmat to use.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Chill la Chill posted:

You can also boost or barrel roll off the board, something I've seen people think wasn't allowed. There are no safety restriction for them aside from asteroids.

I actually have barrel rolled a ship off of the board intentionally.

Was playing a game with a TIE Swarm vs a Whisper Phantom. I had VI'd Mauler Mithil (specifically for phantom hunting), and didn't have initiative. During the course of the match, Mithil wound up right on the edge of the board, with Whisper ducking in behind. I had a shot with 2 of my ships on whisper's final position, but she would have a shot on Mauler after he moved.

I felt awful smart rolling him off the board and taking 2 defense dice pot shots on an uncloaked whisper.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Not for nothing, but what do people think of this list?

Tycho Celchu (26)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Jake Farrell (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Wild Space Fringer (30)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Dash Rendar (2)
Outrider (5)

Total: 99

it just kind of seem fun and possibly useful.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Val Helmethead posted:

I actually have barrel rolled a ship off of the board intentionally.

Was playing a game with a TIE Swarm vs a Whisper Phantom. I had VI'd Mauler Mithil (specifically for phantom hunting), and didn't have initiative. During the course of the match, Mithil wound up right on the edge of the board, with Whisper ducking in behind. I had a shot with 2 of my ships on whisper's final position, but she would have a shot on Mauler after he moved.

I felt awful smart rolling him off the board and taking 2 defense dice pot shots on an uncloaked whisper.

Amazing. If I could pull that off with a Z, I would have earned all the achievements.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So after winning with an HLC Outrider last week, I lost to an HLC Outrider this week.

Only instead of the 2 Ion Cannon toting Y's that I ran as his backup, he was rolling with Kyle Farlander who was also outfitted with an HLC.

My x2 Obsidian pilots and naked Bounty Hunder went down in flames and Darth Vader could hardly scratch the paint off Farlanders B-Wing.

Is there a good counter to all this laser cannon tomfoolery?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

High PS arc-dodgers? They allow you to doughnut-hole the Outrider and also get out of arc of the B-Wing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tekopo posted:

High PS arc-dodgers? They allow you to doughnut-hole the Outrider and also get out of arc of the B-Wing.

That sounds simple enough.

Also maybe I'll get to break my TIE Phantom cherry.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

So after winning with an HLC Outrider last week, I lost to an HLC Outrider this week.

Only instead of the 2 Ion Cannon toting Y's that I ran as his backup, he was rolling with Kyle Farlander who was also outfitted with an HLC.

My x2 Obsidian pilots and naked Bounty Hunder went down in flames and Darth Vader could hardly scratch the paint off Farlanders B-Wing.

Is there a good counter to all this laser cannon tomfoolery?

TIE Defenders.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Irom posted:

TIE Defenders.

I hope you're serious because I've been wanting to fly this beast but keep getting gun shy due to how often I read about the difficulty in playing it correctly or how much better some other ship would be for the same cost.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AndyElusive posted:

That sounds simple enough.

Also maybe I'll get to break my TIE Phantom cherry.

I have bad news for you, then....

But, I also have good news, as the Baron Fel is a cool guy.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hooray! I just got a Falcon still in shrink wrap for $20CDN! Now I can really be a cheesy dick!

(I actually am just gonna shove an engine upgrade on my mango dash)

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

AndyElusive posted:

I hope you're serious because I've been wanting to fly this beast but keep getting gun shy due to how often I read about the difficulty in playing it correctly or how much better some other ship would be for the same cost.

Don't be shy about it, just go for it in casual play. You should probably have two or three (for Predator cards, if you're not proxying anything), so run 'em and practice. Two TIE Defenders with HLC and Captain Jonus is a solid enough casual list, and jousty fun.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
My Z-95 just got knocked off my desk and the flight stand broke. Are there any options for replacements?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
I just got 2 Agressors yesterday and I'm looking forward to playing with them tommorow. What do you guys think of this list? I'm having trouble deciding between C and D.

IG-88B — Aggressor
Push the Limit
Advanced Sensors
Ion Cannon
Inertial Dampeners
Autothrusters
IG-2000

IG-88C — Aggressor
Push the Limit
Advanced Sensors
Ion Cannon
Inertial Dampeners
Autothrusters
IG-2000

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Gravy Train Robber posted:

My Z-95 just got knocked off my desk and the flight stand broke. Are there any options for replacements?

Take a picture of it and contact FFG here. Once it's approved you'll get a new one in a couple days.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

The Sisko posted:

I just got 2 Agressors yesterday and I'm looking forward to playing with them tommorow. What do you guys think of this list? I'm having trouble deciding between C and D.

IG-88B — Aggressor
Push the Limit
Advanced Sensors
Ion Cannon
Inertial Dampeners
Autothrusters
IG-2000

IG-88C — Aggressor
Push the Limit
Advanced Sensors
Ion Cannon
Inertial Dampeners
Autothrusters
IG-2000

Go with the Mangler instead of Ion Cannon, and D instead of C.

The Ion cannon, while useful, lacks the sheer punching power that the Mangler does. Since you're only getting to shoot with two ships, you really limit your damage if you use ion cannons. I ran a B/C dual Aggressor list, and I didn't get that much use out of C. If you're Pushing the Limit, you're going to be able to take anything + Evade anyways, and you're probably going to be better off with Focus + Evade. Boosting is useful in a pinch, but it's situational. On the other hand, D's ability to let you use the bank OR hard turn template for you SLoops gives you a lot more flexibility. You can use it to dodge out of enemy arcs, and my experience has been that it lets you get a better position than boosting does.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

The Sisko posted:

IG-88B — Aggressor
Push the Limit
Advanced Sensors
Ion Cannon
Inertial Dampeners
Autothrusters
IG-2000

IG-88C — Aggressor
Push the Limit
Advanced Sensors
Ion Cannon
Inertial Dampeners
Autothrusters
IG-2000

Cobbsprite is right, with two ships you really need to put damage out, so you might be able to keep the ion cannon, but you definitely need another for the other slot. Otherwise, I don't think there's a consensus on best possible Aggressor.
Autothrusters and (obviously) the IG-2000 title are pretty much mandatory but aside from that:
Advanced Sensors and Fire Control System are both awesome for the sensors slot
HLC and Mangler are both awesome for the cannon slot, taking more than 1 is generally not worth it.
Inertial Dampeners and Feedback Array are both awesome for the illicit slot
IG-88B is generally the first choice, but C and D are both awesome for your second Aggressor.
Most of the common EPTs work fine with them, but I wouldn't take Predator with the Fire-Control System. I don't really like PtL on them either, but others have made it work.

Seriously, I've made adjustments to their build every time I've flown them, and I still can't decide on which items are really 'best.' Just get some real firepower to back up the Ions.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

StuG Jeebus posted:

Cobbsprite is right, with two ships you really need to put damage out, so you might be able to keep the ion cannon, but you definitely need another for the other slot. Otherwise, I don't think there's a consensus on best possible Aggressor.
Autothrusters and (obviously) the IG-2000 title are pretty much mandatory but aside from that:
Advanced Sensors and Fire Control System are both awesome for the sensors slot
HLC and Mangler are both awesome for the cannon slot, taking more than 1 is generally not worth it.
Inertial Dampeners and Feedback Array are both awesome for the illicit slot
IG-88B is generally the first choice, but C and D are both awesome for your second Aggressor.
Most of the common EPTs work fine with them, but I wouldn't take Predator with the Fire-Control System. I don't really like PtL on them either, but others have made it work.

Seriously, I've made adjustments to their build every time I've flown them, and I still can't decide on which items are really 'best.' Just get some real firepower to back up the Ions.

I actually don't run Autothrusters on my dual Aggressor list. I use Push the Limit, Mangler, Fire Control System, IG-2000, Seismic Charges, and Hot-Shot Blaster. I make that work for me by getting right into the face of enemy ships and dropping the seismic charges onto them, then tagging them with the Hot-Shot Blaster as I fly away. The Seismic Charges probably aren't "best" and Autothrusters are a good choice, but I like throwing the little bit of extra damage potential to make up for only having two ships.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Headed over to a semi-LGS today with a friend trying to pick up some Netrunner packs since he has become hooked. Saw some X-Wing on the wall, and was showing him how awesome the ships look and generally cool the game is, remarking on how I can't believe I haven't dragged all my poo poo over to his house. Cue the manager? coming over, telling my friend how much better Star Trek Attack Wing is both in gameplay and Organized Play :psyduck: My arguments about how their insane overpowered Tournament support and their rapid release schedule have ruined the game where his favorite things about it, and that is why it's better. The only disparaging remark he made about X-Wing that I could understand was how hard it is to keep in stock. I'll take product scarcity over that hot garbage WizKids calls sculpts anyday.

I still don't understand why he was trying to convert the guy I brought when I already told him we weren't from around there. He also found it hard to believe that other FLGSs in North Carolina had Armada and he didn't, sooo....

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Comic book guys preventing sales in their own shop will never cease to amaze me :allears:

DasHangman
Feb 27, 2011

I'm the captain of the gravy train!
I picked up the X-Wing Core Set today! I had been debating it for months. I am hopefully going to play a quick start game tomorrow. Moving forward, though, is there anything in particular a new player should know? Do different factions favor different tactics? Are there any "must have" ships?

Help me, goons. You're my only hope.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Carteret posted:

Headed over to a semi-LGS today with a friend trying to pick up some Netrunner packs since he has become hooked. Saw some X-Wing on the wall, and was showing him how awesome the ships look and generally cool the game is, remarking on how I can't believe I haven't dragged all my poo poo over to his house. Cue the manager? coming over, telling my friend how much better Star Trek Attack Wing is both in gameplay and Organized Play :psyduck: My arguments about how their insane overpowered Tournament support and their rapid release schedule have ruined the game where his favorite things about it, and that is why it's better. The only disparaging remark he made about X-Wing that I could understand was how hard it is to keep in stock. I'll take product scarcity over that hot garbage WizKids calls sculpts anyday.

I still don't understand why he was trying to convert the guy I brought when I already told him we weren't from around there. He also found it hard to believe that other FLGSs in North Carolina had Armada and he didn't, sooo....

I don't know if the Star Wars / Star Trek IPs are the source of the void, but in my LGS, there's a huge divide between the people who play X-Wing & Attack Wing. Several people have sold all of their X-Wing or Attack Wing stuff to go ham into the other game. Both groups insist that theirs is the better game, and there's no actual discussion going on, ever.

:iiam:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Star Trek vs. Star Wars has been a thing forever, and it never won't be really stupid.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DasHangman posted:

I picked up the X-Wing Core Set today! I had been debating it for months. I am hopefully going to play a quick start game tomorrow. Moving forward, though, is there anything in particular a new player should know? Do different factions favor different tactics? Are there any "must have" ships?

Play with the core set, then buy 1 or 2 other ships that you like the look/sound of then play with those. Don't go and buy everything all at once.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I picked up most wanted last night, and with my two rebel z-95s, and the syck, I have come up with a terrible Scum swarm list.

b]Serissu (20)[/b]
Veteran Instincts (1)
Ion Cannon (3)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

Drea Renthal (22)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R4-B11 (3)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Total: 99

I figure Serissu will go with the y to ionize whatever, with the two generics being there to soak fire and get Serissu's bonus, while N'dru floats around. Drea is insane with r4-b11, because she can fire, reroll with target lock, take a stress to get a new one, use that to force the defender to reroll defense dice.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Drea seems pretty good to me, you can do that R4-B11 trick or you can actually use her pilot ability to use ordnance that usually would require you to lose a target lock in order to use.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Endman posted:

Star Trek vs. Star Wars has been a thing forever, and it never won't be really stupid.

Yeah, the terrible thing is that legitimate concerns about Star Trek's business model (and all of WizKids' antics on that note) gets muddled in the dumb franchise war. Still, there weren't angry people last year at GenCon at FFG's lines while WK again did something dumb. I expect no less this year as well.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

DasHangman posted:

I am still new to the game myself, but the Rebels and Imperials initially played a little different. Imperial ships started out with cheap highly maneuverable ships, but a little lighter on firepower. while Rebel ships could soak up more damage with shields to make up for their slightly less maneuverability. Rebel ships also had more add on options to customize the ships.

I believe that has changed a bunch with some of the more recent releases. You can get cheap manuverable Rebel ships, and high cost heavy firepower ships for the Imperials.

For must have ships, don't overlook the single X-wing or TIE fighter packs. They add extra pilots and abilities not included in the core pack.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

I still want to believe in em. I've been trying to bring some life into Vessery's target locking mechanic for some time now and have gotten pretty decent at flying the defender's weird dial. K-turning perfectly behind an opponents firing arc and taking an action is just so succulent.

I finally have a build with Vess that is semi-competitive I think. Having an HLC behind 3 evades is worth more consideration than it seems to be getting right now.

I also bought a second defender so I could run the Jonas Brothers list for fun. Jonas plus 2x Onyx squadron pilots with HLCs. It's just hilarious how much damage you can pump out.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I played Armada this week.

I think... I think I might be lured away. :psyduck:

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shockeh posted:

F'real?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Irom posted:

I finally have a build with Vess that is semi-competitive I think. Having an HLC behind 3 evades is worth more consideration than it seems to be getting right now.

I also bought a second defender so I could run the Jonas Brothers list for fun. Jonas plus 2x Onyx squadron pilots with HLCs. It's just hilarious how much damage you can pump out.

That sounds cool and fun, would you mind positing your build? I snagged a second Defender too (and a second Phantom) because of this thread and I've been stealing goon builds lately and adding them to Squad Builder. That way I can experiment with fun spaceship teams and cut my teeth on a variety of different styles.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Shockeh posted:

All I've heard/seen about Armada seems to confirm the fact that I'll stay on X-Wing :shrug:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why does it have to be one or the other? The games both play differently.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Why does it have to be one or the other? The games both play differently.
Money and space, mostly for me. I allot myself a part of my monthly budget for boardgaming/gaming related things and I don't have enough to keep collecting for both.

EDIT: Also, time.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I really enjoyed the more strategic aspects; Planning ahead multiple turns, executing more of a strategy than making the right call 'at that moment'.
They're very different games providing very different methods of fulfilment, I'm really pleased with the implementation.

(I've got one glaring problem, which is the price of the Core box is just too steep to me for what you get, but that's personal irritation rather than any rules complaint.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh, yeah totally get that. I didn't mean to come across like I don't understand the concepts of budget allotment and time available for grown ups to play games. I guess I just figure if someone who plays X-Wang wants to play Armada they can save up and eventually buy into it and play both from time to time instead of shuffling over to one game entirely and thus abandoning the other.

• Locked thread