Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Because he is a crazy person

He probably holds a grudge against fma because hohenheim was a lovely dad

Is he the guy that gets real mad about the dad from Cucumber Quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You can set your watch to it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I said between Naruto and 666 Satan I'd read the latter in reference to the two authors being brothers. I have no beef with FMA.

But hey, if you want to take the CQ talk out of that thread and into another thread and utterly derail it over a reading comprehension fuckup then we can go into a multiple page fracas over it and holding views about an Adult Swim non joke, story arc pacing issues and frustrating characterisation in the context of CQ.

I'd rather not do that, though.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 27, 2015

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Stumbled over Mahou Shoujo Ore, and I guess the title should've given me a hint as to where this manga was going.

That's not even the greatest page in this chapter.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Stop! Hibari-kun!! Is back after a months break with two great chapters. http://bato.to/read/_/312725/stop-hibari-kun_v3_ch36_by_hachimitsu-scans

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kleptobot posted:

Stumbled over Mahou Shoujo Ore, and I guess the title should've given me a hint as to where this manga was going.

Ahahaha. This is incredible!! Thanks for discovering this, because I ordinarily wouldn't have picked it up based on the cover.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kleptobot posted:

Well that's a thing. I'll read more when it's available, sure.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Nihilarian posted:

read, past tense.

Bleach is finished? When did that happen?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

It's confirmed to be ending this year.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well uh, huh. Gan-Kon started getting (very badly) scanlated again, and I didn't really expect it to get quite so dark. Huge spoiler from the latest scanlated chapter: http://i.imgur.com/dib5xSN.jpg

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

A new martial arts shounen manga has started running in WSJ recently -- UBS. It's got kind of a similar premise as Airmaster or something, this sort of weird underground tournament thing where people bet on unrestricted street fights. So basically, a shallow ploy to set up fights between people. The characters are great, and the fight scenes are pretty well-drawn and fun! The main character is kind of a less-bad version of the main character from Shamo, and even the leading lady is kind of this weird, creepy, fight-obsessed girl. They don't hesitate to play up how twisted and evil she is, and how amoral and reckless the main guy is, either.

And surprisingly, going against the WSJ grain, they even allow male characters to fight female characters on a pretty even ground! I definitely like that in a fighting manga!!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah we were talking about it a bit in the shonen jump thread. It's pretty fun.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

There is the weird visual gag of pretty much all the girls (even the lead girl) getting drawn like this and it makes me laugh.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Frankenstein Dad posted:

To be fair, that doesn't really suit the tone of WSJ. It's nowhere near kid friendly enough. They coulda put it in Weekly Young Jump, though.

It's like everyone forgets that before it got mega-popular the most common things it was compared to are, like, Berserk and loving Devilman. It's pretty much a seinen series that bumblefucked into a shonen magazine and started picking up shonen tropes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Did you really just quote a 2 year old post lol

Has anyone remotely competent started translating monster x monster because the last I read it was horrible quality and theres quite a few chapters out

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Jose posted:

Has anyone remotely competent started translating monster x monster because the last I read it was horrible quality and theres quite a few chapters out

I took a look at the latest chapter a couple days ago and it seems that whoever's doing it has at least figured out by now that "niito" is supposed to be "NEET"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

Yes, it wasn't that many pages back and I don't check post dates, suck my nuts

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe you should so you look less like a chode, nutsucker

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Also it was 34 pages ago

Also Devilman ran in Weekly Shonen Magazine so in conclusion it turns out that sometimes shonen can be pretty gnarly. See also: Fist of the North Star

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 22, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, Black Clover is generic even for a shounen.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It seems to be doing well though. Seems like a safe bet in appealing to 10 year olds in our new naruto-less world.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The World God Only Knows's author's new manga, Le travail de qualite de la patisserie Nanoha got scanlated.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 24, 2015

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Looks interesting so far, I was a big fan of The World God Only Know's so ill probably keep up with his new work.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just wanted to complain about something that bothers me in the shounen comic Hitman Reborn. So, after Tsuna goes to the future he becomes strong enough to take down Byakuran, who literally no one else in the world could defeat. But then after the future arc he comes back and there's a part where his dad is kicking his rear end. If this is the case, why did his dad not also beat Byakuran in the future?

For some reason this bothers me worse than most plot holes/power creep in manga. Like, because they traveled to the future we very directly know that no one else was able to beat these guys that Tsuna and his posse ended up defeating, so it makes no sense at all that anyone else (short of maybe the arcobalenos, since they were all sick during the future arc) could beat them, particularly Tsuna's dad of all people. Unlike most people, I actually did not dislike the future arc (aside from the box weapon stuff) and thought it had a compelling setting and characters/villains, but it definitely makes everything that happens afterwards make no sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Bad writing, power creep. I dunno why you'd expect reborn of all things to be consistent- it wasn't even originally a shounen fighting manga.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Has anyone read the latest chapter of Ultra Battle Satellite (that name will never not be hilariously dumb!:haw:)? I'm really enjoying it so far -- that was an amazingly cool hook kick the main guy did. I like how unashamedly brutal the fighting is -- like I'd said before, it kind of reminds me of Shamo but toned down for WSJ standards.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Bad writing, power creep. I dunno why you'd expect reborn of all things to be consistent- it wasn't even originally a shounen fighting manga.

Basically this. Reborn is pretty much the one shonen series I've read/watched where I don't even bother with Watsonian explanations for that sort of thing. It's just that badly written.

Edit: You could go with "being sent backwards in time makes the box weapons weaker from the paradox," I guess. Or maybe "Tsuna's dad suddenly developed a crippling illness in the future."

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 6, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DrSunshine posted:

Has anyone read the latest chapter of Ultra Battle Satellite (that name will never not be hilariously dumb!:haw:)? I'm really enjoying it so far -- that was an amazingly cool hook kick the main guy did. I like how unashamedly brutal the fighting is -- like I'd said before, it kind of reminds me of Shamo but toned down for WSJ standards.
It's weird but I kinda like it. The protagonist kinda gives me Yusuke vibes which is cool. Generally okay-ish moral compass, but absolutely no qualms about beating the ever living dogshit out of anyone who wants to try it on, no problems with fighting dirty, etc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like how even though the mc isn't all that bright, he is very smart when it comes to fighting. He likes to fight, but more importantly he likes to win fights so he doesn't really gently caress around. Plus, the crazy girl face that shows up everywhere is hilarious.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ytlaya posted:

I just wanted to complain about something that bothers me in the shounen comic Hitman Reborn. So, after Tsuna goes to the future he becomes strong enough to take down Byakuran, who literally no one else in the world could defeat. But then after the future arc he comes back and there's a part where his dad is kicking his rear end. If this is the case, why did his dad not also beat Byakuran in the future?

For some reason this bothers me worse than most plot holes/power creep in manga. Like, because they traveled to the future we very directly know that no one else was able to beat these guys that Tsuna and his posse ended up defeating, so it makes no sense at all that anyone else (short of maybe the arcobalenos, since they were all sick during the future arc) could beat them, particularly Tsuna's dad of all people. Unlike most people, I actually did not dislike the future arc (aside from the box weapon stuff) and thought it had a compelling setting and characters/villains, but it definitely makes everything that happens afterwards make no sense.

It's not written the best, but I love the characters and interactions in Reborn.

But yeah. You can't have the multidimensional enemy who has conquered every single other timeline. end up being a Mid-Boss and eventually joining the good guys.

The Simon arc should have been the first arc after the Vongola Rings arc. replace all of that earth ring poo poo with the normal poo poo they were using at the time.

The Future arc I did enjoy, up until they went full Toyetic, and had loving motorcycles accessories and poo poo. If they had skipped that pointless rear end mini arc battle. and just went straight to having to protect Uni, hide from Byakuran and get the Varia on board, right after the Irie reveal. It would have flowed much better.

Arcobaleno arc being afterwards is fine. As they averted the dark future, and everyone got their memories anyhow.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really liked Reborn until it turned into Pokemon and the power creep went off the charts. The story and most of the characters are so bad though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

I really liked Reborn until it turned into Pokemon and the power creep went off the charts. The story and most of the characters are so bad though.

What did you like about Reborn if not the characters?

Dexo posted:

It's not written the best, but I love the characters and interactions in Reborn.

I know, right? I feel weird about liking it since I know that it's generally considered one of the worst recent shounen series, but the main cast of characters just seem to go together really well in Reborn. Like, you really get the feeling that these guys are best buds who have been through a lot together, and Yamamoto in particular is just such a stand-up guy. I find that Mukuro, Hibari, and the Varia are also mostly really good Vegeta-esque anti-heroes (even though everyone's acceptance of Mukuro makes no sense in light of him committing all sorts of murder and atrocities).

One pretty big issue, however, that someone mentioned when I brought up Reborn in another thread is that it is super sexist. There are hardly any strong female characters. None of the strong fighting arcobaleno are female, none of the Varia are female, and only one of Byakuran's main 6 henchmen is female (I think she is the strongest woman in the entire series actually, despite not really being a big deal plot-wise). Chrome is the only one that is part of the main fighting cast, and she's super sickly all the time and usually needs to resort to summoning forth Mukuro. Like, it's way worse than even Naruto in this regard. They literally have the girls cook and clean for them during the whole future arc, with even Chrome at one point joining them to fulfill her destined role as a home-keeper.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

reborn only stayed afloat because of the hot guys that everyone loved. i think it's less sexism, or at least less 'women shouldn't be major characters,' and more 'i need to put the focus on the guys because they're my meal ticket.'

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ytlaya posted:

What did you like about Reborn if not the characters?

I know, right? I feel weird about liking it since I know that it's generally considered one of the worst recent shounen series, but the main cast of characters just seem to go together really well in Reborn. Like, you really get the feeling that these guys are best buds who have been through a lot together, and Yamamoto in particular is just such a stand-up guy. I find that Mukuro, Hibari, and the Varia are also mostly really good Vegeta-esque anti-heroes (even though everyone's acceptance of Mukuro makes no sense in light of him committing all sorts of murder and atrocities).

One pretty big issue, however, that someone mentioned when I brought up Reborn in another thread is that it is super sexist. There are hardly any strong female characters. None of the strong fighting arcobaleno are female, none of the Varia are female, and only one of Byakuran's main 6 henchmen is female (I think she is the strongest woman in the entire series actually, despite not really being a big deal plot-wise). Chrome is the only one that is part of the main fighting cast, and she's super sickly all the time and usually needs to resort to summoning forth Mukuro. Like, it's way worse than even Naruto in this regard. They literally have the girls cook and clean for them during the whole future arc, with even Chrome at one point joining them to fulfill her destined role as a home-keeper.

Eh, Murkuro was never really accepted. Chrome was. Murkuro was tolerated in situations where they were hosed if he didn't help. Murkuro cared for protected and saved Chrome which usually ends up saving everyone.

The funny thing about that is that Akira Amano, the artist and writer is very much a female. But yeah. The females in this series are really really weak. But mostly this series got a much higher fanbase of fujioshi, so the male characters were all shoujo fodder by the future arc.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
What bothered me wasn't even that the female characters were weak so much as the weird attitude that even the stronger ones (like Lal Mirch) shouldn't fight. It was even somehow seen as worse for, say, Kyoko to fight than for Lambo, an actual child, to fight.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

What bothered me wasn't even that the female characters were weak so much as the weird attitude that even the stronger ones (like Lal Mirch) shouldn't fight. It was even somehow seen as worse for, say, Kyoko to fight than for Lambo, an actual child, to fight.

Oh I meant weak as in poorly done.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The reason I brought up Reborn is that I have been re-reading it recently. I just finished the Future arc and apparently I had completely forgotten about this Shimon Family arc (or never read it in the first place). It's even more egregious as far as the "where were these guys when Byakuran was taking over the world" thing is concerned. At least with the final arc the Vindice have always been portrayed as kind of badass and mysterious, but the Shimon family is just another random mafia family that is super powerful for no particular reason.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So did they ever explain what the hell mafia in that setting were supposed to actually do aside from magic fights and occasionally wearing suits?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

So did they ever explain what the hell mafia in that setting were supposed to actually do aside from magic fights and occasionally wearing suits?

you got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haha, I wondered this myself. They did mention at some point that the first Vongola boss created the Vongola to protect local civilians as a sort of vigilante police force. So...basically to be super heroes.

So this guy just came out of nowhere and upgraded their rings after they got owned by the Shimon family, hahaha. That's gotta be one of the worse Deus Ex Machina moments I've seen in shounen manga; this unknown guy literally comes out of nowhere and just upgrades their gear immediately after they suffer a defeat. Hopefully the fights coming up are at least interesting, since at this point I'm completely sure that I never read this arc. (edit: Hahahah he also just got some nifty headphones and contact lenses from Irie Shouichi. This series has become big on its accessories.)

Speaking of the gear, I was just thinking about how it makes absolutely no sense that the Vongola rings (and all of the Mafia rings?) have supposedly been around since ancient times but the Vongola family was only formed ~10 generations ago.

By the way, does anyone know what Reborn's author is writing now (if she's writing anything)? I found something talking about some "elDLIVE" series, but I can't find out whether it's still ongoing.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 8, 2015