Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Xtanstic posted:

He's growing it back again :v:

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Mr Beens posted:

Agreed. I loved his whole speech to agent 33 about how he resolved his family issues, he made it sound so nice and respectable. Ward is batshit enough that he probably belives it.

Oh, he knows he's broken well beyond the point of repair, but he's accepted he's who he is. Understands that killing random people is bad, but doesn't care for instance

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

XboxPants posted:

But at the same time, I really enjoy how they leave it just open enough that if you're just the densest motherfucker in the world you might actually think he's on the level and not all that bad after all. And not realize half the people he's killed. They don't paint him like a villain in typical ways - like he doesn't cackle madly, they often make sure not to show him killing people, he always gives an explanation with an expression on his face so earnest that it often seems like even he believes it...

Like, we all realize Ward killed his family, but did they ever make a character explicitly say those words? I forget. Just, point is, if you're the kind of person, of which I bet there are way more than we'd like to think, that through some combination of "unable to read subtext" and "not really paying attention" still thinks there's hope for Ward... you're basically in the same shoes as Agent 33. And to me that's hilarious.

Yeah, you saw on the news that their house had burned down with them in it in a :airquote: murder-suicide. :airquote: Right after Ward said he was gonna go see the parents with his brother. It's just ambiguous enough for inattentive people to forget about or misunderstand after his speech.

It was hilarious back then too cuz I thought he was actually just gonna hash things out with them like with his brother but nope! ~Murder~!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, you saw on the news that their house had burned down with them in it in a :airquote: murder-suicide. :airquote: Right after Ward said he was gonna go see the parents with his brother. It's just ambiguous enough for inattentive people to forget about or misunderstand after his speech.

It was hilarious back then too cuz I thought he was actually just gonna hash things out with them like with his brother but nope! ~Murder~!

Most importantly, we all know what really happened to Buddy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Nephthys posted:

Him killing his parents wasn't the surprising part, it was him also killing his brother and framing him for the killings after apparently hashing things out with his brother.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Most importantly, we all know what really happened to Buddy.

He was exposed to the terregen mists?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I just think the Ward/33 thing is just creepy as gently caress. I can't tell if he's using her or if they're both using each other.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

notthegoatseguy posted:

I just think the Ward/33 thing is just creepy as gently caress. I can't tell if he's using her or if they're both using each other.

Little of column a, little of column b...

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

greatn posted:

He's secretly Lockjaw

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

BlueBayou posted:

He's secretly Lockjaw

Keep guessing. :ghost:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's cop dog.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This was a good episode. The "Real Shield" reveal is interesting, but I'm going to reserve judgment because it is possible to gently caress it up in so many ways (e.g. "It was actually Hydra!") and I don't want to get disappointed.

I agree with everyone that Ward/33 stuff has been great. I didn't like Ward for a while after he turned on Shield, but he has developed into a sufficiently interesting "wild card" villain. I like that he's totally hosed in the head, but also super nice and supportive and friendly.

As a side note, I'm glad the real Agent 33 actor is back. I had gotten tired of seeing May's scarred face.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This is the story of two 'fathers'

Confused? You won't be after this episode of...S.H.I.E.L.D!

God dammit, I stay away from the thread until I can catch up with the show and the first thing that happens is I get the theme from Soap stuck in my head.
You're a terrible person, but who can stay mad at a Soap fan.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What was the name of the lady Real Shield is so mad about dying?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Doctor Butts posted:

Xena

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh, and if you're not following Clark Gregg on Facebook, you really should.

Really should.

Have to say in a fist fight my money isn't on Coulson even with the age advantage.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Have to say in a fist fight my money isn't on Coulson even with the age advantage.

He just wants to cuddle.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wolvorine posted:

God dammit, I stay away from the thread until I can catch up with the show and the first thing that happens is I get the theme from Soap stuck in my head.
You're a terrible person, but who can stay mad at a Soap fan.

:getin:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Blazing Ownager posted:

I dunno, I'd take Phil. Dude's got some serious BJJ moves

http://gfycat.com/VastFrigidBaiji

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

You're all gonna be so surprised when Buddy is living at the house with Skye next week

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I would be highly entertained if there were one or more terragen mist dogs running around. Not with human-level smarts or language, mind you. Just with dog-appropriate powers like humping fast enough to produce a sonic boom or the ability to consume any foul-smelling substance without taking damage.

I like seemingly-reasonable Ward. It makes him potentially so much more dangerous than someone obviously nutsy like Muad'dad.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

enraged_camel posted:

This was a good episode. The "Real Shield" reveal is interesting, but I'm going to reserve judgment because it is possible to gently caress it up in so many ways (e.g. "It was actually Hydra!") and I don't want to get disappointed.

I agree with everyone that Ward/33 stuff has been great. I didn't like Ward for a while after he turned on Shield, but he has developed into a sufficiently interesting "wild card" villain. I like that he's totally hosed in the head, but also super nice and supportive and friendly.

As a side note, I'm glad the real Agent 33 actor is back. I had gotten tired of seeing May's scarred face.

I pretty much agree with everything that you say. I really hope that the "Real Shield" doesn't turn out to be (relatively) villainous at all; I actually hope that the Real Shield comes out looking like they have a reasonable point about the questionable nature of Fury and his underlings.

And yeah, the Ward/33 stuff is great. It's so loving creepy and awesome - I hope to see more of Ward casually explaining things away that were in fact murder.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

greatn posted:

He's cop pizza dog.

FTFY.

Doctor Butts posted:

Isabelle Hartley.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

imperialparadox posted:

I pretty much agree with everything that you say. I really hope that the "Real Shield" doesn't turn out to be (relatively) villainous at all; I actually hope that the Real Shield comes out looking like they have a reasonable point about the questionable nature of Fury and his underlings.
To me, the "Real Shield" seems like all the institutional bloat that was part of the problem with Shield. The fleet of ships, squadrons of jets, the whole private army situation that played more into Hydra's plans of stealth world domination from within than Shield's supposed role as an intelligence agency.

I doubt they're "evil", but simply a faction that felt being a shadow military was the 'true' purpose of Shield. The 'transparency' rhetoric and blaming Fury feels like hollow words to rally the troops though.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Robot Hobo posted:

Talbot's nearly spiritual sermon about riding lawnmowers felt like it would have been right at home in an episode of King of the Hill. I can see Hank Hill giving the exact same speech, with the exact same slightly disturbing reverence.

... and after that, the episode gave me several excuses to shout "Dangit Bobbi!" at my TV.

If we hadn't changed the thread title so recently...

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

imperialparadox posted:

I actually hope that the Real Shield comes out looking like they have a reasonable point about the questionable nature of Fury and his underlings.

Nill posted:

To me, the "Real Shield" seems like all the institutional bloat that was part of the problem with Shield. The fleet of ships, squadrons of jets, the whole private army situation that played more into Hydra's plans of stealth world domination from within than Shield's supposed role as an intelligence agency.

I doubt they're "evil", but simply a faction that felt being a shadow military was the 'true' purpose of Shield. The 'transparency' rhetoric and blaming Fury feels like hollow words to rally the troops though.

Everything they said was full of poo poo. They sit on an aircraft carrier, apparently fully manned. With mini-subs, quinjets, all of it. And do gently caress all. At least nothing detectable by Coulson-SHIELD. (and if HYDRA or Talbot have noticed them, they haven't mentioned it)

If Coulson-SHIELD had had access to that stuff, if they hadn't gone out to the ocean to pout, they wouldn't have had to pull off such a risky mission to retrieve the diviner, and steal a jet (a jet that effectively doubles their reach). No need to split the team or their attention up. Hartley could very well have lived.

With a manned SHIELD aircraft carrier, Coulson-SHIELD could have parked it outside of Puerto Rico, and actually defended and studied the alien city. No need to blow it up, no need to have science teams wandering around unguarded.

They're so transparent that they employ (at least) two spies in Coulson-SHIELD. Great.

All that said, Charlie and Adama are back on tv! :toot:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

I dunno, I'd take Phil. Dude's got some serious BJJ moves

http://gfycat.com/VastFrigidBaiji

Him and Ed O'Neill should fight for title of most unlikely BJJ black belt.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what Tomas thinks about spiders.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Hunter is still on the ship and hiding in that guy's beard.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just realized why Mack seemed familiar to me. Not because of the actor (because I've never seen anything he's been in before this), but because of his voice and the way he carries himself: He reminds me of Luke Cage.

Playing Marvel Heroes, was near a Luke, and when talked, I instantly thought of Mack.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
New art is pretty awesome looking.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'd love it if the writers drop a Gaff for EJO like they did the Dollhouse line in the first season with Coulson. I laughed when I heard it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, Bobbi is totally going to change sides next episode. Fitz will totally turn Mack to.

Mack will be all "Fury kept secrets! Coulson is just honkey Fury!"
and Fitz come back with "Yea but at least he was out there doing stuff!? Where was real SHIELD when Hydra tried to get the Diviner? Where were they when *other stuff* happend?" and Mack will relent, because its Fitz.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Director Fitz?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Fitz is definitely my favorite. He got way cooler after he split with that downer Simmons.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Fitz is an interesting case as far as character development goes. Pre-brain damage, in season 1, Fitz was mostly a source of comedic relief. Sarcasm, naivete, and a cheeky accent all made the show a bit lighter. Then he gets brain damage and for a while has trouble even communicating basic thoughts. Obviously he has gotten better, but he is no longer a source of that light heartedness that helped the first season (at least the 2nd half). Now, he seems to be the moral grounding force for the team. The Koenig's took over for the fun stuff for a bit, but we haven't seen them since the hiatus. I like Fitz, but I want to see him toss out more jokes, or at least start to be sarcastic again for some injection of humor.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Simmons is definitely on her way to crazy town

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

She's just jealous that Fitz and Skye are buddies now.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

She's just jealous that Fitz and Skye Mack are buddies now.

swickles posted:

Fitz is an interesting case as far as character development goes. Pre-brain damage, in season 1, Fitz was mostly a source of comedic relief. Sarcasm, naivete, and a cheeky accent all made the show a bit lighter. Then he gets brain damage and for a while has trouble even communicating basic thoughts. Obviously he has gotten better, but he is no longer a source of that light heartedness that helped the first season (at least the 2nd half). Now, he seems to be the moral grounding force for the team. The Koenig's took over for the fun stuff for a bit, but we haven't seen them since the hiatus. I like Fitz, but I want to see him toss out more jokes, or at least start to be sarcastic again for some injection of humor.

Yeah I found Fitz average to lame and prefered Jemma but now I've obviously flipped my stance on both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Man, Bobbi is totally going to change sides next episode. Fitz will totally turn Mack to.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that Bobbi is a triple agent. Infiltration and acting is totally Mockingbird's poo poo and the only person in the Marvel Universe better than her at it is Widow. I imagine she's going to be all MY COVER'S BEEN BLOWN PHIL WE HAVE TO GET TO HUNTER

hiddenriverninja posted:

Simmons is definitely on her way to crazy town

Started sweet and wholesome English biologist-next-door, ended up crazed Inhuman-hating Nazi. Comic books!

• Locked thread