Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Ad by Khad posted:

Well I had spots planned for 4 more little towns, but the commercial death spiral has hit hard and everything is slowly dying around me. I think it's time for a break. Thanks for the cool rear end map, Fish Fry Andy.

How the gently caress do you even prevent the commercial death spiral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Whoever called the PopBalance mod "a portal to the traffic dimension" wasn't far off the mark. 100k people and I'm barely out of the starting tile. Trying this right after playing a rural mountain map is a huge change.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Planting giant trees everywhere down town is surprisingly cool looking.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
OK, I'm think I'm on to something.

Why your trains bunch up:
(I'm not sure if this is the case for buses and metros that share a route, but I suspect so)

Trains that are full will take longer at a station than ones that aren't. Typically, what this means is that when you've got a row of reasonably patronised stations on you route, the first train in a while will fill up, and take its time leaving the station, and if there are remaining passengers, they'll wait for the next one, which won't be far behind because of this phenomena.

With, a bunch of four or five trains in short succession, the later trains are more likely to not fill to capacity, so they're going to catch up to the ones at the front.

So that's why they bunch up.

I have like six trains on one route, and they've bunched up, the ones at the front of a platoon fill up, the ones at the back are mostly empty. I note the not-full ones often have to queue at each station when the train in front of them is full.

One remedy I'm going to try later (because I have things to do now) is to reduce the train budget so with less trains, it's more likely they'll fill up, so they don't catch up on the one in front of them.

Really trains (and I guess other vehicles) should be the same time at each stop, no matter what, or at least dynamically adjusting the length of each stop (longer if they're too close to the one in front, shorter if vice-versa) so they're spaced evenly across the route.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

I find walkways useful for reducing traffic congestion, because if you have a quite dense area the sheer volume of people crossing the street will block the traffic.

My city is getting hosed by this right now. I put multiple metro stations inside and outside a main roundabout and it is jammed to gently caress due to the constant herds of peds

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

My city got hosed over by garbage piling up. I have dumps and incinerators everywhere and a vast army of garbage trucks and yet the trash still isn't getting collected! :argh:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 28, 2015

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Washout posted:

I think the general idea is "don't build a sprawling 25-tile megacity" but there are also a few things I could've done looking back on it that would have helped my vans reach their shops.

- More highways instead of regional roads. When I look at Fish Fry Andy's version of Passes, there are a lot more highways. For a van that has to travel 5 tiles there's a big difference between going 100 and going 60. I didn't have any gridlock, but I think if I could've gotten vans to travel faster my commercial would've fared better.
- Early on in the map my commercial demand was huge and I think I went overboard trying to satisfy that RCI meter. I had so many cims employed by commercial that my map was pushed almost into a failure state when the bottom fell out. Super-high unemployment combined with completely flat RCI demand.
- More services. When people stopped using public transit for some reason (13k riders per week at 85000 people down to 5k riders per week at 200k people), my cashflow plummeted. It's hard to cover a 25 tile rural map with adequate services and even though I did, I didn't do it in a way that got many buildings up to levels 3+. I think if I pushed more houses up to level 5 I would've had more money coming in and then I wouldn't have had to use the policy that doubles commercial sales in order to stay afloat.
- Bulldoze the loving cargo harbor. 90% of my traffic problems came from two spots: the junction where three industrial areas met going towards the highway, and the drat cargo port. Trucks are idiots and there was simply no way a cargo harbor could handle the amount of trucks that were flocking to it from miles around. Maybe a second or third cargo harbor would've lessened this problem, but I doubt they would've solved it.
- More offices. I was determined not to spam offices and only zoned them in major cities because I wanted a rural feel. I think maybe more offices would've lessened the unemployment shock when my commercial shrunk.

Ultimately it's an issue with the AI choosing to go 6 towns over, but there are some things I could've done better and the next time I play Passes I'll be able to try a different strategy.

binhex
Aug 17, 2008
Hey, just released an updated version of Zion National Park:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415043826

Steam wouldn't let me update the original so it's a new upload.

I increased the size/flow of the rivers considerably, and added more water sources. There is more buildable area in the valley now as well.

Starting area

More water in the highlands

Better highways

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

My city is hella pedestrian-friendly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ad by Khad posted:

- More highways instead of regional roads. When I look at Fish Fry Andy's version of Passes, there are a lot more highways. For a van that has to travel 5 tiles there's a big difference between going 100 and going 60. I didn't have any gridlock, but I think if I could've gotten vans to travel faster my commercial would've fared better.

My highway system on the map is actually almost entirely for non-commercial traffic. There's the default coastal route, and then two on opposite ends up the map leading up into the mountains. The idea is that light traffic, being service vehicles and commuters, will take the highways if they were making commutes across the map. What you can't really see as easily are the two parallel rail networks. Pretty much every passenger station on the map is matched by another freight station, which is how I got my commercial goods around the map in a timely fashion.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Starhawk64 posted:

Switch to green energy? I don't even bother with fossil fuels because they seem broken or something. I've never seen a fuel truck either.

My coal plants started running out of fuel due to a complete fuckshow of a highway situation so I just bulldozed them, took out a loan, and replaced the pair with a single solar plant.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

getting the hang of this traffic thing; this highway should be ready when the area expands. Trying to do a sort of 19th century midwestern town (Centennial there, modeled loosely on Eudora, KS) with a 20th/21st C growth boom happening around it... but yeah going for decidedly unmidwestern traffic solutions here.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

A lot of the exits along I70 are like that, I'm actually surprised that the west Lawrence exit isn't connected to a roundabout as well, although there's one on Clinton, two or three by the Legends, and about a billion between Clinton and 6th. Weest Lawrence is pretty much roundabout central though, I think I drive through at least two every time I leave town. Even some of the rural highways are starting to get roundabouts, I think that 50 has at least two right now. I have no idea what is going on in this state.

Yeah; there's a lil one over at 19th and NH that I drive on a lot that kind of sort of solved a problem, but the real problem is that radically overcapacity 19th and Mass is a half block away. I've noticed them going up like crazy over there, but I don't get west of Kasold very often. The way they planned and built out 23rd/15th/6th streets with Wakarusa as a connecting backbone is tits, though- I live nearish to 9th and Iowa and it's a pretty quick jaunt to visit friends/doctors/HyVee over there. Really everything built out since 1980 here is super-well planned for the most part, makes good use of roundabouts, takes advantage of the shitload of cheap space we have- I've gained a new appreciation for driving around here (versus, say, near Corporate Woods or ugggh Topeka) since picking up Skylines.

xergm posted:

Fellow KC goon! That stretch of 35 is just a few miles away from my work.

Yes hello; hearty barbecue royals walt bodine rocks/chalks bartle sky stations to you! That stretch of 35 is just a hundred feet or so away from my entire preadolescent world and it is crazy to me how much the area's grown since then- Johnson County population was about 270k when my parents moved there in the early 80s, it's around 550k now. I think that explains a lot of the adoption of roundabouts- a massive spike in population growth like that leads to needing to apply more modern solutions that don't involve completely redrawing your streets

and yeah, toll capture makes sense as a reason, now that I think about it for a moment. I just assumed it's because there's jack poo poo north of there unless you are a big fan of yogi bear themed campgrounds.

(and also btw if you haven't already done a lunch break at Iron Horse, in the weird strip mall at 35 and Old 56 between a discount cell phone store and a bar called "BABY O'S", do yourself a favor; best chinese noodles in KC)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Christmas Present posted:

Really everything built out since 1980 here is super-well planned for the most part, makes good use of roundabouts, takes advantage of the shitload of cheap space we have- I've gained a new appreciation for driving around here (versus, say, near Corporate Woods or ugggh Topeka) since picking up Skylines.

http://kupa.ku.edu/

I'm guessing that this has something to do with it. :v:

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
We need better physics.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
You know, SC2000 did a rudimentary form of that. Plane crashes were more likely if you zoned airports near tall buildings.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Noyemi K posted:

You know, SC2000 did a rudimentary form of that. Plane crashes were more likely if you zoned airports near tall buildings.

Specifically, if the runway lead onto a high-density building the plane would collide and explode.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Fish Fry Andy posted:

My highway system on the map is actually almost entirely for non-commercial traffic. There's the default coastal route, and then two on opposite ends up the map leading up into the mountains. The idea is that light traffic, being service vehicles and commuters, will take the highways if they were making commutes across the map. What you can't really see as easily are the two parallel rail networks. Pretty much every passenger station on the map is matched by another freight station, which is how I got my commercial goods around the map in a timely fashion.

My rail network was okay but definitely not that extensive. Usually I hardly build trains at all but since I took your challenge of using passenger trains instead of metros, using rail for cargo freight made sense. I don't feel like rail was my problem though, or at least not the sole problem. Some of my most-abandoned commercial areas had their own freight terminals. I dunno.

I put the blame on the highways because I was importing a lot, and import trains were only like 15-20% full every time they came in. Trains alone were definitely not supplying very much of the imports, so maybe that pushed the traffic onto my regional roads where they couldn't get to their shops fast enough. I did get the "trains queue up and wait instead of leaving the map" bug which forced me to bulldoze one of my rail connections and that might have messed up some imports.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ad by Khad posted:

My rail network was okay but definitely not that extensive. Usually I hardly build trains at all but since I took your challenge of using passenger trains instead of metros, using rail for cargo freight made sense. I don't feel like rail was my problem though, or at least not the sole problem. Some of my most-abandoned commercial areas had their own freight terminals. I dunno.

I put the blame on the highways because I was importing a lot, and import trains were only like 15-20% full every time they came in. Trains alone were definitely not supplying very much of the imports, so maybe that pushed the traffic onto my regional roads where they couldn't get to their shops fast enough. I did get the "trains queue up and wait instead of leaving the map" bug which forced me to bulldoze one of my rail connections and that might have messed up some imports.

Strange, almost all of my commercial traffic traffic on every city I've played so far is spawned pretty much exclusively from freight stations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I made a new city with NO education. Because of this, I've had almost no problems with places going abandoned. Very few commercial jobs have positions that require high education, so I just bulldoze those once they bitch about it. 3 of the industries have no education requirements. In fact from what I can tell, the ore industry is the only one where you need education, the other 3 don't at all. So I have all three of the other industries up and running with no problems. No struggling to find workers. However, it appears that buildings will not level up after a certain point if you don't meet an education requirement, so I want to make a section of the city that DOES have education. But I wanted to know first will the 3 schools only get people to attend them if they're in the green zones that surround them (where the road lights up with green as you place them) or will people travel from anywhere in the city to get to that single place?

I would put schools everywhere, because I've read that educated people will still take non-educated jobs, but that never seems to be the case for me.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

http://kupa.ku.edu/

I'm guessing that this has something to do with it. :v:

oh hey yet again KU proves that it's worth dealing with having twenty thousand adult kids around; I figured there was a program like this over there, had no idea it was so prestigious though.

Macaluso posted:

So I made a new city with NO education.

it is possible to do this for only part of your city? Like, in a specifically-created low income/slum area? Or will the citizens of Butthole Town get too upset that Dildo Heights has a school and they don't? I've been doing this with little suburbs near industrial areas, complete with poorly-planned and ugly commercial areas- seems to tank my overall satisfaction.

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 28, 2015

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Washout posted:

In my experience it's dead bodies piling up. When my demand dies off, I look at the coverage map for the dimmest spots and plop a crematory down and then it resumes the explosive growth

Edit: Whoever was claiming that a 60k pop city has 60k agents running around is an idiot. Using any of the advanced tools I've never seen more than 3-5k total cars/pedestrians.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 28, 2015

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Supposedly cims will get to school even if it's miles across town. The green street radius is just people who get a happiness boost from being near it. I don't know if you can completely disconnect the roads from the school area to the rest of your city and perhaps keep your poor cims from getting educated that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if it fell back on the teleporting method that sometimes happens if people can't find a route from point A to point B but still want to go there.

Also as has been stated repeatedly, even highly educated cims will still take uneducated jobs if that's all there is. They just fill the better jobs first. If you're getting 'not enough workers' it's not because of PhDs refusing to flip burgers, it's because they've all got jobs already.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

Supposedly cims will get to school even if it's miles across town. The green street radius is just people who get a happiness boost from being near it.

Oh nice, I never picked up on that. I wondered why such as fire trucks would travel beyond their 'radius', figured it was an 'any port in a storm' situation and that the green highlights indicated ideal response time or something.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Ad by Khad posted:

I think the general idea is "don't build a sprawling 25-tile megacity" but there are also a few things I could've done looking back on it that would have helped my vans reach their shops.

- Early on in the map my commercial demand was huge and I think I went overboard trying to satisfy that RCI meter. I had so many cims employed by commercial that my map was pushed almost into a failure state when the bottom fell out. Super-high unemployment combined with completely flat RCI demand.
- More services. When people stopped using public transit for some reason (13k riders per week at 85000 people down to 5k riders per week at 200k people), my cashflow plummeted. It's hard to cover a 25 tile rural map with adequate services and even though I did, I didn't do it in a way that got many buildings up to levels 3+. I think if I pushed more houses up to level 5 I would've had more money coming in and then I wouldn't have had to use the policy that doubles commercial sales in order to stay afloat.
- Bulldoze the loving cargo harbor. 90% of my traffic problems came from two spots: the junction where three industrial areas met going towards the highway, and the drat cargo port. Trucks are idiots and there was simply no way a cargo harbor could handle the amount of trucks that were flocking to it from miles around. Maybe a second or third cargo harbor would've lessened this problem, but I doubt they would've solved it.
- More offices. I was determined not to spam offices and only zoned them in major cities because I wanted a rural feel. I think maybe more offices would've lessened the unemployment shock when my commercial shrunk.

Ultimately it's an issue with the AI choosing to go 6 towns over, but there are some things I could've done better and the next time I play Passes I'll be able to try a different strategy.

I only had a 6 tile city, I could have run my highways a lot better maybe that was the root of all my problems really, not a good highway system.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
I think I want to get this, but I'm curious: the minimum specs says "does not support intel integrated graphics cards", does that mean that the Intel 4000 in a laptop wouldn't work? I have a feeling my laptop is on the very bottom end of the minimum, but if the game runs well enough I'd try it.

I'll probably buy the game anyway, but it working on my laptop will probably make me get it now as opposed to waiting for a sale.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So, looking back at my original metro system, I realized that it is a loving mess and I have no idea how a real subway system works.

So after bulldozing the lot of it and studying some real life subway maps.... I still have no idea how a real subway works. :psyduck: But monkey see, monkey do, so I sketched this idea out really quick:

I know that in general you shouldn't use too many stations (keeps trains fast, Cims will walk/bus quite a bit) and to keep most subway lines just that, lines, but not much else. Anyone more familiar with subways wanna give some tips? :shobon: Like for example, is this a decent layout? Should I turn the blue line into a loop, or keep it a line?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I tend to have the metro in a line following the highway, since that's what's meant to be the fastest way around the city anyway. Then I just use buses to connect the rest of the district to the metro station.

Fans fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 28, 2015

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I understood the use of Grids in Sim City 2000, because it was a limitation of the engine and you didn't have much space, but I do not comprehend why people still build these ugly rear end slow traffic to a crawl four way intersection grid hellholes in the glorious future of 2015 where traffic actually matters.
Doesn't that just cause a ton of congestion or do some of your big grid cities manage to compensate that with liberal use of one way streets?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Zwiebel posted:

I understood the use of Grids in Sim City 2000, because it was a limitation of the engine and you didn't have much space, but I do not comprehend why people still build these ugly rear end slow traffic to a crawl four way intersection grid hellholes in the glorious future of 2015 where traffic actually matters.
Doesn't that just cause a ton of congestion or do some of your big grid cities manage to compensate that with liberal use of one way streets?

One ways do gently caress all since you can't designate "no left turns" if they intersect a 2way.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Gibbo posted:

One ways do gently caress all since you can't designate "no left turns" if they intersect a 2way.

No, but planned properly, you can use one way inputs to reduce the number of traffic lights you'll use on regional roads to improve flow.

Another important thing is to segregate your freight and rail lines as much as practically possible to prevent hours long train backed up hell.

This is possible by using smart interchanges for rail traffic that prevent two trains in stalemate, similar methods to the industrial coffee filter (run separate lines, exits where you want freight to go. I'll post some jankyass examples later to give an idea

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 28, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's some screenshots:

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

Here's some screenshots:

These hillside villages always look so nice.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
What's a good map for rural towns with hills? I'm playing Zion? National park and I love it , but the build area is a little too restrictive.

I've got passes, but thought I'd ask before committing to a new map.

Something where boats and trains are a thing , with some nice verticality

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

simosimo posted:

What's a good map for rural towns with hills? I'm playing Zion? National park and I love it , but the build area is a little too restrictive.

Built two island maps which are nice and hilly.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413204253
Lumpy as hell

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410753862
A little less lumpy, but only a little.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Loving this game, 20 hours into my first crappy city just trying everything out.

Safest airport in the world!

It's pretty tough down the old footy oval!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Jim is a smart man. He opened his Fish Stick Repair shop right next to Easy Fish Stick Store and Dirty Fish Stick Sales.

A question: when browsing the maps to start a new city, how can I find out which biome it's in, without loading up the map?

A follow-up question: what does it take to convert someone's map from one biome to another, without changing the landscape?

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 28, 2015

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

simosimo posted:

Passes is great, but Jackson Bay is another pretty good mountains map. I don't think it has boats though, plus it has a tougher start than Passes. Easier than Zion.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
So I haven't played in a while, and starting the game, even after reinstalls and removing all mods and what have you results in an immediate appcrash from ntll.dll or some such. Looking around no-one seems to have a solution either.

Whelp :<.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
Sometimes a large segment of demographic dies of old age and the bodies create a huge backlog in your deathcare. You can wait it out and your hearses will eventually catch up, or plop something down and turn it off/bulldoze later. However, most of the time it's an issue of traffic congestion keeping your hearses from completing round trips before new bodies appear, meaning you need to re-analyze your transit situation.

HOW TO TRAFFIC is written by a traffic engineer who goes into some of the details of skylines' traffic AI and how to keep it your cims from tripping on themselves getting out the door.

Radio fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

simosimo posted:

I've been having a lot of fun on this map of Wellington, NZ. Some nice flat plains for building big things like airports and cool rear end interchanges, and good hills for making little pockets of towns