Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

JerryLee posted:

Well then, I apologize, because I didn't (and still don't) understand the distinction you're trying to draw there. In my mind, if that was a reason for GW dropping them, then it implicitly means they had a problem with trying to fit that part of the squat identity into the existing design space. No problem = no reason exists to drop an existing supported army. Unless this is an oblique way of reminding us that GW does poo poo for dumb reasons and we end up with post hoc justifications. :shobon:

At any rate, sorry for picking nits.

"Problem" makes it sound like a pervasive issue and a bigger deal than I think it is. Some design overlap with marines is just one of the many likely reasons for why they dropped squats. I only brought it up to set up that a reason against introducing space skaven is design overlap with orks.

Sorry, I don't mean that to sound combatative. I just think calling that a "problem" for GW blows it way out of proportion. :)

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

PeterWeller posted:

They weren't, and when they got fleshed out enough to be, a bunch of people got really mad.

Because they were yet another stupid MEQ army in a metagame already dominated by MEQ armies. People were bitching about MEQ saturation more than ten years ago. Not to mentions that Necrons were lovely gimicky bullshit that are basically the same bullshit as Chaos Space Marines from a rules perspective. MEQ + Some Monsters!

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 28, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

osirisisdead posted:

Because they were yet another stupid MEQ army in a metagame already dominated by MEQ armies. People were bitching about MEQ saturation more than ten years ago. Not to mentions that Necrons were lovely gimicky bullshit that were basically the same bullshit as Chaos Space Marines from a crunch perspective.

Man, I don't want to come off like I'm defending GW in your "gently caress GW" thread, so please don't take this as defense of GW. :) People were upset with "Newcrons" because of the fluff changes, not the rules. And they play very differently than Chaos Marines.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm talking about ten-plus years ago when they were released as a faction in 3rd ed.

T4 3+ save, basically fearless 24 inch rapid fire weapons with <insert special rules here>

If the whole GW bedshitting thing was a new trend that some of us old grogs could see a way out of, we might still have hope for the company and the game that we used to love.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 28, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the core problems for GW will always be the d6. There just isn't that much you can do to meaningfully vary and differentiate stuff when a single point of difference makes such an impact. They've got more armies than they do possibilities for armor values or statlines.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
The "new army" has started to go up, and it does look pretty cool. Reckon it'll save the quarter?

Just noticed - twenty dollars for a transfer sheet! :allears:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 28, 2015

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Night10194 posted:

One of the core problems for GW will always be the d6. There just isn't that much you can do to meaningfully vary and differentiate stuff when a single point of difference makes such an impact. They've got more armies than they do possibilities for armor values or statlines.

I think they could do things differently if they tried, but as far as building an army, we have had to build lists specifically for fighting MEQ vs. fighting literally anything else for more than ten years now and since almost nobody plays anything but MEQ... the only thing that makes sense is to use whatever available to remove that 3+ save. Why do you think the plebs bitch about Eldar poo poo so much? It's because their lists are all tuned for fighting MEQ and when they run against Eldar it seems to be OP. The game's needed a complete overhaul on the scale of the change from 2nd to 3rd ed for at least 5 years, but instead, the 3rd ed model has been deified into canon and they keep bolting on more poo poo rather than going back and wiping the slate clean. Watching GW is like watching a very slow train wreck.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 28, 2015

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

petrol blue posted:

Apparently so, but it's weird that they haven't jumped on such an obvious money maker. Maybe the whole squat affair turned them off direct fantasy to 40k ports? (Because biker dwarves riding trikes wasn't metal enough somehow?)

Someone mentioned it upthread, but one day there'll be an insider memoir book, and it'll be amazing.

That memoir will be hardcover and $86

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Night10194 posted:

It's what they do with it more than the fact that d6 are used. At least two of their oft-cited competitors (PP and Mantic) use d6s, albeit in different ways.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JerryLee posted:

It's what they do with it more than the fact that d6 are used. At least two of their oft-cited competitors (PP and Mantic) use d6s, albeit in different ways.

There are tons of games that are mechanically more elegant and/or more interesting, yet use d6's.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

Someone mentioned a game that had units rolling different dice (one might roll a d6, another a d8) to show how hard or fighty they were. Can anyone recall which game uses that mechanic?

Stargrunt, Tomorrow's War (spiritual successor), Force on Force, and a bunch of other fairly grognardy games use the same system.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I was wondering why the ranger/vanguard bundle with essentially two boxes of the infantry was like 20% more expensive than it should have been - a completely insane price for a transfer sheet suddenly makes it all clear.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats not the transfer sheet you get in the box, thats one of the forge world type A4 sheets.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Nope, same sheet.

vs

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 28, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

petrol blue posted:

Apparently so, but it's weird that they haven't jumped on such an obvious money maker. Maybe the whole squat affair turned them off direct fantasy to 40k ports? (Because biker dwarves riding trikes wasn't metal enough somehow?)

Someone mentioned it upthread, but one day there'll be an insider memoir book, and it'll be amazing.

Space Skaven and Space Dwarfs just don't work, can't be done

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I know, right? I mean, look at this poo poo:

Who the gently caress would buy that? :rolleyes:

e: I'm a bit sad the not-squats have lost the biker aesthetic, though. On the other hand, OMG actual non-white paintjobs, and as the majority. Kudos for that.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 28, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I actually thought that the biker-thing was the only interesting thing about squats, because it was a nice diversion from the typical portrayal of dwarfs. Sure, fine, they're short and stoic, but if they are amazing engineers then why would they restrict themselves to lumping around in the future? Crazy squat biker gangs were more interesting than Gimli, space-knight.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

petrol blue posted:

e: I'm a bit sad the not-squats have lost the biker aesthetic, though. On the other hand, OMG actual non-white paintjobs, and as the majority. Kudos for that.

How about

?

Also not biker but this is my favourite

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

petrol blue posted:

The rolleyes are to indicate sarcasm, right? Because that owns. At least compared to:

Mantic didn't even bother with erect warpstone nipples!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

osirisisdead posted:

I'm talking about ten-plus years ago when they were released as a faction in 3rd ed.

T4 3+ save, basically fearless 24 inch rapid fire weapons with <insert special rules here>

If the whole GW bedshitting thing was a new trend that some of us old grogs could see a way out of, we might still have hope for the company and the game that we used to love.

Yeah, I know what you were talking about, and it's inaccurate. They had nearly the same profile, but they did not play the same. Those special rules made the difference between a shooting army that relied on large troop blocks (necrons) and an assault army that relied on mobile elite and fast attack units.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

moths posted:

The rolleyes are to indicate sarcasm, right? Because that owns.
Absolutely, it's proper boss.

quote:

Mantic didn't even bother with erect warpstone nipples!
Then how can they forge the narrative? :confused:

Between those three models, there's probably a decent sculpt they just didn't even try, did they? Except for the warpnipples. It's weird how, at a glance, they look like 'ok lofi cyber rogres', and then the more you look, the worse they get, until they're just stubby pipes smashed into a can of spam. It's like the opposite of a magic eye poster.

e: Can you imagine being the studio painter when that gets given to you?
:v: "Yeah, uh, make this look good for White Dwarf, OK?"
:eng99: "...What's it meant to be?"

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 28, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I know I've tried to say this before but it seems as though at some point GW realized that one of the main advantages they still had over their competitors was in engineering elaborate plastic kits, and so they cargo-culted from that into doing really compositionally weird poo poo for its own sake, which past a certain point doesn't work at all.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I know I've tried to say this before but it seems as though at some point GW realized that one of the main advantages they still had over their competitors was in engineering elaborate plastic kits, and so they cargo-culted from that into doing really compositionally weird poo poo for its own sake, which past a certain point doesn't work at all.

I feel like this too, it's like they cover their models with ridiculous gewgaws to the point where it doesn't even really look all that good, and cram sprues with useless extraneous bits just because they can and claim it somehow adds massive value to their kits.

I do like the new Skitarii, though, I must admit. I liked the Knight of Cydonia- sorry, Sydonian Dragoon a lot more before I noticed the weird dude wired directly into the machine itself, which conceptually is fine but I think the execution is pretty dumb.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

PeterWeller posted:

Man, I don't want to come off like I'm defending GW in your "gently caress GW" thread, so please don't take this as defense of GW. :) People were upset with "Newcrons" because of the fluff changes, not the rules. And they play very differently than Chaos Marines.

"Newcron" fluff was way better than the old Necron stuff, hail Ward.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

FrostyPox posted:

I do like the new Skitarii, though, I must admit. I liked the Knight of Cydonia- sorry, Sydonian Dragoon a lot more before I noticed the weird dude wired directly into the machine itself, which conceptually is fine but I think the execution is pretty dumb.

The one with the turret looks stupid, but the lancer is classic John Blanche 40k and pretty rad. Price is loving ridiculous though, as expected.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

There was a point a few years back where the kits were probably their best. The models were easy enough to put together and it was the height of the multi pose stuff. Now you have a billion pieces and all the models seem to have either paired arms or a paired body/head or something that limits the customisation so they all end up looking the same. And they all seem to be so over detailed. The newer models really help people that like to drybrush.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

No it was pretty bad. The only thing good about that codex was the cool Necron collector that steals everything he can get his metalic hands on.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

FishFood posted:

the lancer is classic John Blanche 40k and pretty rad

look how wrong you are.

Blanche has Long since stopped caring about hes' art, and everything he does for GW looks poo poo.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Renfield posted:

look how wrong you are.

Blanche has Long since stopped caring about hes' art, and everything he does for GW looks poo poo.

Wat?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mormon Star Wars posted:

:agreed:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

There was a point a few years back where the kits were probably their best. The models were easy enough to put together and it was the height of the multi pose stuff. Now you have a billion pieces and all the models seem to have either paired arms or a paired body/head or something that limits the customisation so they all end up looking the same. And they all seem to be so over detailed. The newer models really help people that like to drybrush.

probably somewhere between the GK and death company re-sculpts?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Moola posted:

probably somewhere between the GK and death company re-sculpts?

I think the Sternguard are probably the high-water mark. They have the unfortunate sin of costing $50 for a type of box that ought to be $30-35 tops, but as models themselves they're great. Lots of places to add meaningful detail without needing to make the model twirl a long spiked chain while doing parkour.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

"Mysterious ancient evil" is such a cliche. At least "angry robot grandpas" has some originality to it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The newcron fluff is garbage that sucks rear end, idiots

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Newcron is better, sorry. More character and personality is almost always better. For the record, Tyranids have the the same problem; They're essentially orks with the fun stripped out.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Tyranids are ok cause they're an alien ripoff and even ripoffs can't lose all the cool of alien

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

all 40k fluff is garbage but newcrons are better

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Look at this wrongest opinion from the wrongest poster (other than Holismason).

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Only thing I miss from oldcrons are the Pariah units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The last time I even looked at Necrons was probably ten years ago. They were a long dead race, like 6 million years old, that suddenly awoke and were fighting things. It might have been their first actual book? What were the old Necrons and how are the new ones different?

• Locked thread