Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i find the diner's lack of vegan options disturbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i'd eat the bacon omelette, because eggs and bacon are both very tasty and good

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i find the diner's lack of vegan options disturbing

Waffles aren't vegan?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I Before E posted:

Waffles aren't vegan?

Aren't eggs needed to make those?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a vegan waffle before. It was eh. I also had vegan " buffalo chicken tenders" which my buddies claimed tasted just like the real stuff.

This was not true, and it was a very strange food. Like alien food. But the onion rings I had were really, really good. And this ketchup was amazing.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 28, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yaws posted:

The Viking Age isn't terribly well documented but can anyone comment on it's historical accuracy?
Well, Ragnar Lodbroke is considered to be a mythical figure. His name means Ragnar Furrypants and is a reference to how he beat a dragon (the pants protected him against the dragon's venom). He also married the daughter of Sigurd Fåvnesbane who killed the dragon Fåvne. It's bit like claiming that LotR is historical fiction. If Ragnar was real he would've been too young to attack Lindisfarne, he did lead several successful raids against France though.
Disregarding this the show get somethings right and somethings wrong. The funerals is based on the writings of Ibn Fadlan and the trip to Uppsala is based on the writings of Adam of Bremen. The show depicts the vikings going on raids without helmets and with a form fitting chainmail. In reality they would wear loosefitting chainmails and helmets. The show also treats Lodbroke as a family name instead of a nickname. Ragnar's son's surname wouldn't be Lodbroke but Ragnarson.
. During one battle Rollo suddenly busts out a poem. The problem with this is that his poem uses rhymes, the real vikings would've used alliterations instead.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 28, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Aren't eggs needed to make those?

& milk :(

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Man what the hell, you couldn't even eat the bread I made yesterday because it has a little milk and butter in it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Man what the hell, you couldn't even eat the bread I made yesterday because it has a little milk and butter in it.

i'll live

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

You say that, but it's really good bread.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just had some pretty bomb homemade granola *rubs tummy in satisfied manner*

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

but you don't understand

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i just had some pretty bomb homemade granola *rubs tummy in satisfied manner*

That does sound good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i gotta be honest of all the things people have tried to tempt me to break vegan with "bread" is by far the most boring

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I wasn't trying to tempt you since I truly don't care about other people's dietary choices, I'm just always surprised at the limits of being vegan. Like you don't think of bread as being an animal product.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm actually not even hard line vegan at this point only because i've developed a crippling addiction to BULLETPROOF COFFEE only God can judge me

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You can make bread without milk or eggs or butter....

But I mean yeast is a microorganism so stick with a quick bread I guess

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm actually not even hard line vegan at this point only because i've developed a crippling addiction to BULLETPROOF COFFEE only God can judge me

I don't know what that is but is it coffee with butter in it because there are some places even I won't go.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Is coffee not vegan? Or does BULLETPROOF COFFEE in particular have non-vegan ingredients.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Sorry, not just butter coffee, , branded snake oil butter coffee. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmnmm

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

FishBulb posted:

Sorry, not just butter coffee, , branded snake oil butter coffee. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmnmm

lmao what the poo poo is this

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
it's like crossfit for your mouth

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i gotta be honest of all the things people have tried to tempt me to break vegan with "bread" is by far the most boring

I'd go with bacon because at this point, you know it's so many people's go-to for trying to break someone's vegetarian/veganism.

Moviechat: A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is way weaker than the first, but it still has a lot of fun moments. It's really surprising the director didn't notice any gay subtext in a movie where a man is tied up naked in a gym and gets rat tails across the rear end.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I don't know what that is but is it coffee with butter in it because there are some places even I won't go.

:getin:

FishBulb posted:

the namebrand stuff is for cultists, true heads know you can just by dece coffee, dece butter, and dece coconut oil from any dece grocer

i do have a sneaking suspicion that the Bulletproof guy is gonna end up like the Kony2012 guy and get caught masturbating in public, but i can't knock the results

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 28, 2015

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It might actually taste good, I mean it can't be any worse than cream and sugar but it just seems so yucky

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

FishBulb posted:

You can make bread without milk or eggs or butter....

But I mean yeast is a microorganism so stick with a quick bread I guess.

I'm pretty sure that vegan diets would be untenable without consuming microorganisms. You need those for yogurt, anything soy, and alchohol. Or anything but a carefully sterilized paste in a sealed vacuum tube.

Also I don't think you digest the bacteria, it's either dead, joins the party in your metabolism, passes though, or fucks your day.

What you do eat it is its poop.

What I'm saying is that I think vegans can eat poop.

Delicious bacteria poop.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

It might actually taste good, I mean it can't be any worse than cream and sugar but it just seems so yucky

i thought it sounded absolutely revolting right up until i got curious and tried it.

i am gonna try and go full vegan again for april so i've been weaning myself off but drat is it good.

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm pretty sure that vegan diets would be untenable without consuming microorganisms. You need those for yogurt, anything soy, and alchohol.

yogurt is not vegan

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Moviechat: A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is way weaker than the first, but it still has a lot of fun moments. It's really surprising the director didn't notice any gay subtext in a movie where a man is tied up naked in a gym and gets rat tails across the rear end.

To put you in the right mindset, people didn't notice that Freddie Mercury was gay. Like, the band's name was Queen for fuckssake.

Most of the country probably thought gay subtext was something that could give you AIDs. If you picked it up in something you liked, I guess you ignored it pretty hard.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yeast is a fungus anyway. I'm sure those are vegan.

Speaking of milk, I learned I'm lactose intolerant after I did badly on a test in college because I drank an entire bottle of milk before taking it and it gave me a bad stomachache. Never stopped farting the whole test, and it was at night too. Now I can eat anything dairy as long as I also eat something with lactose-digesting bacteria in it afterwards, liike yogurt.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 28, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

To put you in the right mindset, people didn't notice that Freddie Mercury was gay. Like, the band's name was Queen for fuckssake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjOn5uJptnY

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yogurt is not vegan

Oh yeah. It's easy to forget which dietary bacteria cultures start with milk rather than plant matter :colbert:

I mean unless you're uptight about milk being produced in nightmare horror factories. Or are lactose intolerant. Or something.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nightmare Horror Factory part II was pretty good, but i'm surprised the gay subtext went over so many people's heads

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nightmare Horror Factory part II was pretty good, but i'm surprised the gay subtext went over so many people's heads

Sometimes a steak served by a burly man wearing leather is just a steak.

Like yeah it was "a prime cut of succulent man-meat" but :words:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Nightmare Factory 3 was surprisingly good tho, until I heard about the director's rape dungeon.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My wife drinks bulletproof coffee sometimes and says it's great, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to try the coconut butter coffee yet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So, I'm catching up on Mad Men on Netflix.

Ginsburg.... :stare:

Toebone posted:

My wife drinks bulletproof coffee sometimes and says it's great, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to try the coconut butter coffee yet.

It looks disgusting. I'm perfectly happy with a dash of sugar and a splash of lowfat milk.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Had to re-watch The House of the Devil after seeing It Follows. Not as scary as I remember, but still a very nice film. I know a lot of folks don't care for West's films, but I think out of all the young horror filmmakers out there, he's doing the most interesting stuff with the genre. Even the much maligned The Innkeepers is a really underrated little movie. With The House of the Devil he basically put his foot in the door with this style that says, "What in "horror movie" makes us think only of trying to scare people, and what if you made a film that was uniquely a horror film but was more about the sensation of unease than any particular payoff?" With The Innkeepers he just takes this logic to its next step, by basically conceiving of a conventional indie drama with cruel supernatural elements. I still need to see The Sacrament, but I think it's telling that his next feature was - by many's description - effectively a transcription of a real-life cult massacre, and that his next one coming in December is actually a Western.

It's a shame that his segment in V/H/S isn't much to write home about. But I didn't really care for that movie all that much to begin with.

Second Honeymoon remains the best film Ti West has ever made.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Second Honeymoon remains the best film Ti West has ever made.

i dunno, i really don't think he's topped House of the Devil and it's looking increasingly unlikely that he ever will. Second Honeymoon is pretty good, though.

Egbert Souse posted:

It looks disgusting. I'm perfectly happy with a dash of sugar and a splash of lowfat milk.

blech

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The best kind of coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps3eTlBBXs8

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slip it In is such an underrated album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Slip it In is such an underrated album.

It's like a grimier, heavier Flipper. It's good.

• Locked thread