Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Just finished my third Ed run (second hardcore, the first was softcore) and I have no loving idea how those leaderboard runs are that fast. Even the slowest is 3/739 and I just finished my best at 4/1059.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

m2pt5 posted:

Just finished my third Ed run (second hardcore, the first was softcore) and I have no loving idea how those leaderboard runs are that fast. Even the slowest is 3/739 and I just finished my best at 4/1059.

Step 1) Spend Mr. A's/$$$ to max out Ed's skill points.

Edit: And acquire all possibly relevant IOTMs.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Unponderable posted:

Ed doesn't have too many relevant IOTMs other than the Conspiracy Island charter and barely lovebugs.

A lot of it really is just powerleveling to level 10 or so, than starting the quests in earnest.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

Ed doesn't have too many relevant IOTMs other than the Conspiracy Island charter and barely lovebugs.

A lot of it really is just powerleveling to level 10 or so, than starting the quests in earnest.

Besides Conspiracy Island, where is good for powerleveling for Ed? (Preferably a place that has a lot of Ka-dropping monsters, or I would just use the GIPDP dungeon.)

I have lovebugs, and I use the skills constantly, and the chateau is pretty nice. (Also I figured out that you can leave a bunch of gauze hammocks in Hagnk's, then load 10 into the hot dog stand on day 1 and eat a sleeping dog to get 5 more free rests in the chateau daily, which works out to up to 1100 or so free substats on one stat per day, with the ceiling fan and the right bedside item.)

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

m2pt5 posted:

Besides Conspiracy Island, where is good for powerleveling for Ed? (Preferably a place that has a lot of Ka-dropping monsters, or I would just use the GIPDP dungeon.)

I have lovebugs, and I use the skills constantly, and the chateau is pretty nice. (Also I figured out that you can leave a bunch of gauze hammocks in Hagnk's, then load 10 into the hot dog stand on day 1 and eat a sleeping dog to get 5 more free rests in the chateau daily, which works out to up to 1100 or so free substats on one stat per day, with the ceiling fan and the right bedside item.)

The hippy camp and pirate's cove can probably help with early Ka farming, as well as being something you need to do anyway. Stats won't be nearly as good as Conspiracy Island, but it seems like an acceptable backup strategy.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

medibot posted:

The hippy camp and pirate's cove can probably help with early Ka farming, as well as being something you need to do anyway. Stats won't be nearly as good as Conspiracy Island, but it seems like an acceptable backup strategy.

Ok, that's pretty much what I've been doing - using the hippy camp for Ka farming (because there's no noncombats before level 9) and doing the pirates part of the level 11 quest as early as possible, up to unlocking the Poop Deck. Unfortunately all the pirate areas, both with and without the outfit/fledges have a significant number of noncombats, and that cuts into ka farming.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

I've been consistently getting 3day Ed leaderboard runs, and a lot of it is down to IOTMs (I haven't bought any skill cookies though - most of the HC leaderboard hasn't). I've been playing zero-IOTM Ed on an alt as well, and it goes a lot slower. Chateau + sleeping dog + conspiracy island are all really helpful with getting the stats to level 10 asap, which is where you start hitting quest areas with good Ka drops.

If you don't have CI, then going opossum sign is pretty good. The benefits from knoll are fairly marginal for Ed, and the logging camp is a good high-Ka early levelling area.

Oh, also the main thing I miss when playing Ed without lovebugs isn't the mp generation - it's the stun. Having a stun is huge because it lets you use the itemdrop talismans safely. The item drop bonus doesn't persist if you die and come back to the fight, so without a stun you can't use them against things that can one-shot you.

hit button fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 27, 2015

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Lovebugs, Chateau, Conspiracy Island, Friars, Clan VIP Key + Hot Dog Stand + Speakeasy, GameInform dungeon, Spring Break Beach are all applicable. All but arguably the last one has its HC speedrun uses.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Unponderable posted:

Lovebugs, Chateau, Conspiracy Island, Friars, Clan VIP Key + Hot Dog Stand + Speakeasy, GameInform dungeon, Spring Break Beach are all applicable. All but arguably the last one has its HC speedrun uses.

eh

Lovebugs - Already mentioned
Conspiracy Island - Already Mentioned
Chateau - Yeah, this is probably a good one, since its the only way you can abuse copied monsters in Ed, and can be tweaked.
Florist Friar - Kind of good, but really super fiddly for minor benefit. Decent for setting up your Ka farming zone, but as always it suffers from the fact that you tend to hotfoot around to different locations.
VIP Key - Eh. Most stuff is out of season.
-Hot Tub doesn't really work.
-Hot Dogs are decent, but given reduced stomach capacity it hurts it slightly. Probably the best since you can abuse the gently caress out of sleeping dogs/optimal dogs
-Speakeasy isn't worth much. You're looking at ~8 drunkeness to really fill on a 3 day run, and 6 of those should be spent on astral pilsners.
Gameinform - Pretty worthless. You don't need any Daily Dungeon keys, and while it has scaling monsters, all the monsters are constructs and can't drop Ka. It's at best a source of 2 level of elemental resistance buff.
Spring Break Beach - See Gameinform. The Diner is full of weird monsters, which means you can't get Ka. You're not touching the party yacht or mansion in run.

edit:

Just for the record, you should always take astral pilsners as Ed. Ed can't get the immediate stat gains from hot dogs on Day 1 to jump his level up, and energy drinks are worse than the mummified beef haunches you should be buying for spleen.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 28, 2015

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I think you're selling Speakeasy and Florist a bit short. I've been going with Astral Dog instead of Pilsners specifically because of Speakeasy (also stats > turngen for Ed). I tried Pilsners too, but Dogs seem to work a lot better.

Florist's +30ML is a big thing in a few places - particularly Oil Peak and Cranny. +Init for the Alcove, There's no shortage of zones competing for +Item. MP regen is always nice, especially for Ed who tends to ka farm in single zones a lot.
Also, one of my favorite florist tricks is for dealing with Ninja Snowmen Assassins early. Drop ML and use a spider plant which kills them before they can hit you.

Speakeasy is great for the Lindy, Sockadollager for the tavern cellar, and the stat drinks.

Chateau's painting is cool, but the bigger advantage is the ridiculous amount of mainstat you get from it.

hit button fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 28, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

-Hot Dogs are decent, but given reduced stomach capacity it hurts it slightly. Probably the best since you can abuse the gently caress out of sleeping dogs/optimal dogs

That reminds me, what's good to semirare as Ed?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

I've been grabbing Baababuran, 2 inhalers every time. Inhalers are for a painfully long ~20-turn brigands. They're quite possibly not worth it for a lot of people until you can learn curse of fortune. I'm only doing brigands because of airborne mutagen from the Government Lab.
You might want to get knob goblin elite guard if you're not YRing the harem girl.
Epic consumables are cool if you're struggling for daycount.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hit button posted:

I think you're selling Speakeasy and Florist a bit short. I've been going with Astral Dog instead of Pilsners specifically because of Speakeasy (also stats > turngen for Ed).

Florist's +30ML is a big thing in a few places - particularly Oil Peak and Cranny. +Init for the Alcove, There's no shortage of zones competing for +Item. MP regen is always nice, especially for Ed who tends to ka farm in single zones a lot.
Also, one of my favorite florist tricks is for dealing with Ninja Snowmen Assassins early. Drop ML and use a spider plant which kills them before they can hit you.

Speakeasy is great for the Lindy, Sockadollager for the tavern cellar, and the stat drinks.

Chateau's painting is cool, but the bigger advantage is the ridiculous amount of mainstat you get from it.

Eh. Assuming you have a monster annoyer and the ML buff, the 30 ML isn't really much in the Cyrpt. It's the difference between getting 5-6 beeps per fight, or 7-8. It's the difference between 1 turn saved and a handful of stat points. It's also pretty marginal in Oil Peak, which is about 7 turns. 4 if you have dress slacks. Not really gonna punch through that daycount barrier.

Init is really really minor, you're looking at the difference of 27.5% vs 25% encounter rate on modern zmobies which is like 0.1 beeps per turn. You can save on average 0.6 turns per run! (Assuming you have both leg upgrades for Ed)

MP regen is pretty well addressed by using a Belly Dancer, which you should probably use if you're not looking at a Priest for extra Ka.

If you're really concerned about not dying, Ed the Undying might not be the best path for you.

As I said, the Friar is extremely fiddly for minimal gains.

You should not be losing sleep if you don't have one.

Also item drop is not a big concern in Ed. Talisman of Renenutet give a pretty big targetted bonus, so you can use it to grab the handful of drops you really need (evil eyes, f'cle drops, sonars) along wiht some other QOL drops and still be running pretty decently. For filthworms and the secret warehouse, you need to use lash of the cobra. Lash works just like Smash & Graah or Rave Steal, so it'll force out the single item drops that you really really need.

m2pt5 posted:

KGE Captain, Baababuran, an Inhaler, and some tarts/lunchbox to fill your stomach with something better than astral hotdogs.

hit button posted:

I've been grabbing Baababuran, 2 inhalers every time. Inhalers are for a painfully long ~20-turn brigands. They're quite possibly not worth it for a lot of people until you can learn curse of fortune. I'm only doing brigands because of airborne mutagen from the Government Lab.
You might want to get knob goblin elite guard if you're not YRing the harem girl.
Epic consumables are cool if you're struggling for daycount.

Curse of Fortune is like a +200% buff and is basically free against brigands (since they'll drop 2 ka to replace the 1 you lost). It'll knock down the brigands to like 12ish turns.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Yeah, I'm looking forward to being able to run the high curses, but since curses seems the weakest tree I still have a couple of ascensions to go before then.

Also if you find the florist fiddly, I highly recommend the CHIT relay script for mafia.

If you're really concerned about not dying, Ed the Undying might not be the best path for you.
Hey, dying as Ed can be pretty bad if it happens consistently on round 1 :v:

hit button fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 28, 2015

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

Unponderable posted:

IotMs, yes, but most of the top of the leaderboard did not max skills (though King Bobson did, and so did I). You can tell how many starting skills a run had by hovering over the scarab beetle in the person's ascension history.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
As expected, the IOTM is the Crown of Ed.

Servants level faster, big HP/MP boost, and can be configured with a bonus enchantment.

You can configure to get a substat and buff to a given stat, 20 ML, 25% meat, or HP regeneration with a guaranteed enemy miss.

edit should be noted, the Crown is soulbound, so no donating for a Mr. A in SC and saving a pull.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 3, 2015

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Just finished a D1 with the crown, and it's biggest benefit for ed is the boring +HP boost. It lets you push ML and tank the first hit, and it means you don't have to prioritise getting legs.

The extra servant xp is nice to get a +1 Ka Priest up and running a lot sooner, but it won't make much difference once you get a servant imbue.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Ed the Undying is actually really cool and fun. Relatively slow-paced, so you can log in, kill some nerds, not really worry about death, quest are simple, and then log out without spending a billion hours on the wiki to make sure you're being optimal or whatever cause Ed's got ya baby

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Ed is crazy fast. What's up with the cartouches that have started appearing?

Crux
Apr 9, 2007

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...

Sorry.

Imasalmon posted:

Ed is crazy fast. What's up with the cartouches that have started appearing?

Nobody knows! I've seen quite a few of them, but am too busy crying about not being able to go to Kokomo yet.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The new IotM opens up a stench-themed vacation zone.

The Uncle Gator area scales with you, and any +ML you're running is tripled. Seems like it would be the best grinding in the game if you have enough stench resistance and killing power to survive.

The Spinning Teacups adds 3 turns of an effect that gives -X all stats, +X stench damage, and +X% spell damage where X is the number of turns of the effect you have.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Barf Mountain has a noncombat that is forced when you kill enough tourists to reach to front of the line and it gives a decent number of stats and a little meat. Not that interesting, but it seems that the maintenance tunnels let you tune the stats somehow.

Not really sure what the pirate zone does that's unique yet - though it seems pretty great for Ka farming.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
And the Barf Mountain line is ridiculous meatfarming. I think with a little effort I could hit 750k/day.

kurai
Sep 10, 2001

sfwarlock posted:

And the Barf Mountain line is ridiculous meatfarming. I think with a little effort I could hit 750k/day.

Let's double down on that.

code:
1423271 meat in 435 adv
3271.887356 mpa

427 bags of park garbage
85400 from garbage
3468.209195 mpa

26 bag of gross foreign snacks at 25 meat autosell
9 cheap sunglasses at 150 meat
45 expensive camera at 150 meat
3 filthy child leash at 2000 mall
33 how to avoid scams at 650 meat
36200 in miscellaneous drops

1544871 from today overall
3551.427586 mpa overall

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

inkmoth posted:

Not really sure what the pirate zone does that's unique yet - though it seems pretty great for Ka farming.

Ka farming and power-grinding. I just finished day 1 of my first Ed run, and spent a lot of turns farming pirates.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Hope y'all are enjoying Barf Mountain as much as me. Hello inflation!
And this is not even caring that much about buffs.
Mr. As are now almost at 20m holy poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tripwood fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 9, 2015

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Man I can't even make half that, look like this inflation will probably make me quit if I can't keep up.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I managed a million yesterday by burning some stockpiled inhalers.

I bet +Meat stuff's going crazy in the Mall.

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

Im_Special posted:

Man I can't even make half that, look like this inflation will probably make me quit if I can't keep up.

At the moment it looks like that, for the most part, the price of Mr. A's is going up but the prices on other things really are not. That might change, of course.

Also, it's pretty easy to make meat in the new zone with minimal effort; the How to Scam Tourists drop is fantastic for it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

lolli posted:

Also, it's pretty easy to make meat in the new zone with minimal effort; the How to Scam Tourists drop is fantastic for it.

Which is what's causing/going to cause inflation.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I just got back from vacation to Disney World to find an IoTM for a vacation to Disney Landfill waiting for me.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

*like*

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Hello, if you're still accepting members into The Protected, I would like to apply. My name is SpiderLink (#524291). Hope to see you all soon!

Crux
Apr 9, 2007

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...

Sorry.
Ten crazy KOL meat farming tricks that make dickstabbers mad.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Forget about dickstabbing, what about meat reselling? :smith: My rates are going to have to be ridiculously favorable now!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Such a massive meat source that's only accessible to people who pay for an IotM doesn't bode well for making KoL inviting towards new players.

RIP game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

Such a massive meat source that's only accessible to people who pay for an IotM doesn't bode well for making KoL inviting towards new players.

RIP game.

I think they really need to rework the drop rates & bonuses.

Preferably after I finish the meat harvesting bonanza

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Jabor posted:

RIP game.

I don't get the reasoning here. If farmable items increase in price because of :derp: DINSEYFLATION :derp: then that just means those new players get better returns from item farming. If Mr. Accessorys cost more meat, that means new players get more value for their donation (the recent Mr Accessory price spikes are mainly due to a reduced number of them entering the market rather than any decrease in the real value of meat anyway).

The only people I really see being negatively affected by potential inflation would be players with large amounts of liquid meat, so kinda the opposite of new players.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

New players generally aren't aware enough of the market for items to do it properly and they generally don't have the resources to farm them competitively.

Also, the problem with the Mr. A prices is that new players don't really have the option of farming up a Mr. A or so before deciding to invest in the game; if they want things they're going to have to start by throwing down :10bux:.

The single biggest problem KoL has is that the game continues to get less and less friendly to newbies because their one-time content model continues to make things less and less accessible for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Khizan posted:

New players generally aren't aware enough of the market for items to do it properly and they generally don't have the resources to farm them competitively.

Also, the problem with the Mr. A prices is that new players don't really have the option of farming up a Mr. A or so before deciding to invest in the game; if they want things they're going to have to start by throwing down :10bux:.

The single biggest problem KoL has is that the game continues to get less and less friendly to newbies because their one-time content model continues to make things less and less accessible for them.

Why does a new player, who by your own reckoning doesn't understand the value of items, need a Mr. Accessory?

I would argue that the game, the actual video game I made that you play by clicking things on the website and beating up monsters and reading jokes and stuff, is friendlier to new players than it has ever been. New players aren't focused on speed ascension and don't care even a little bit that they don't have some random item from Christmas six years ago that happens to be important to you specifically because you are not a new player.