Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Ralek responded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
interesting. But unless someone posts up an actual contract its impossible to say what was really offered.

For example, the NFL with its "seasoned" agents sign crazy deals on paper that actually pay like 25% of that money to the athlete. 50 million dollars but oh 6 is guaranteed and the other 45k is locked in a variety of different clauses that will probably never happen.

So Ralek might mean 140k* with * = a 3 pages of conditions. Or its a fair deal but Gary thinks he's worth more than 140k.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 25, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Who wants to bet that "We offered Garry 140k/year with opportunities to compete up to 12 times per year" means "If he competed 12 times and subbed his opponent every single time it would add up to 140k"

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

Who wants to bet that "We offered Garry 140k/year with opportunities to compete up to 12 times per year" means "If he competed 12 times and subbed his opponent every single time it would add up to 140k"

I assumed it was entirely false, so I consider this to be a fairly charitable reading of Ralek there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It also actually reaffirms Garry's reason for rejecting the offer to begin with, which is that he wanted to compete at more than just ADCC, Metamoris, and IBJJF competitions. So Ralek, in true car salesman style, said "Yes this car does get lovely gas mileage, but I'm offering you THE BEST TIRES MONEY CAN BUY and I'll wave the scotch gard fee"

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tried some no gi rolling today for the first time. What a buzz. Excellent fun.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
So I guess press releases in image macro format are the thing now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that was a little weird.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Xguard86 posted:

interesting. But unless someone posts up an actual contract its impossible to say what was really offered.

For example, the NFL with its "seasoned" agents sign crazy deals on paper that actually pay like 25% of that money to the athlete. 50 million dollars but oh 6 is guaranteed and the other 45k is locked in a variety of different clauses that will probably never happen.

So Ralek might mean 140k* with * = a 3 pages of conditions. Or its a fair deal but Gary thinks he's worth more than 140k.

Guys hit their performance bonuses all the time in the nfl.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Pocket Billiards posted:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Please be advised, my attorney will issue a Scumbag Steve on my behalf shortly. Regards.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

lmao

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Dangersim posted:

Guys hit their performance bonuses all the time in the nfl.

Yes there are fair and good contracts. But there are also situations where players get cut right before their big pay day or get lovely deals with nearly impossible bonuses. Which kind do you think Ralek would offer?

fatherdog posted:

Exactly.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Pocket Billiards posted:

I haven't actually talked to Garry about it but if I had to guess it's that if you want to disseminate something as widely as possible through social media, making it an image makes it easy rebloggable/shareable through twitter, instagram, facebook, tumblr, etc with little chance of it getting garbled or misquoted and sidestepping character limits.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/26/8291485/metamoris-garry-tonon-and-the-truth-about-exclusive-contracts-in

Here's an article about the whole thing.

quote:

As for the $140,000, Gracie was unable to provide full specifics of payment breakdown, but says Tonon's base pay would begin at $5,000 for his first match and would rise incrementally with wins or finishes. Draws or losses in Metamoris events would allow Tonon to maintain whatever level of pay he already achieved.

So basically what fatherdog said.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

fatherdog posted:

I haven't actually talked to Garry about it but if I had to guess it's that if you want to disseminate something as widely as possible through social media, making it an image makes it easy rebloggable/shareable through twitter, instagram, facebook, tumblr, etc with little chance of it getting garbled or misquoted and sidestepping character limits.

Hey man, I've got questions for you.

You have access to Garry? Do you train at the same place he does?

I've got another question, you said you were good at footlocks and that Garry was good and that you don't give those compliments lightly. Where did you learn them and what's your background?

(I'm being serious, I really don't want it to sound snarky but it's hard to ask questions in writing sometimes without sounding like an rear end that's trying to troll the poo poo out of someone. I'm just genuinely curious.)

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Metamoris SHW tourney thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aS6RHS_ZgE

Surprised Adam Wheeler got knocked out, thought he'd be the favorite. Holy poo poo that Hawaiian dude is a beast :stare:

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 27, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Odddzy posted:

Hey man, I've got questions for you.

You have access to Garry? Do you train at the same place he does?

We both train at various Renzo/Almeida affiliated gyms; we used to train together a fair bit but since he opened his own school our schedules don't have us training at the same times/places as much, so I mostly see him at tournaments these days.

quote:

I've got another question, you said you were good at footlocks and that Garry was good and that you don't give those compliments lightly. Where did you learn them and what's your background?

I started training with a group of guys called Team Endgame in late 2002, which involved some judo guys, some old-school sambo guys and a guy who came up under Edson Carvalho. For several years we were merged with Dan Miragliotta's BAMMA school, then split apart again. Around 2007 I injured my back very badly and then moved to Hamilton to be closer to work, and when I healed up I started training under Ricardo Almeida.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah in sport unless a contract says "guaranteed" before the money figure it's bullshit. That was probably on the proviso he competed at every event and shilled for their poo poo as well.

fatherdog posted:

Can confirm, with the move in social media away from facebook and more to Instagram and twitter more and more pics with text are becoming the norm. The social media campaign I'm working on for a small business I help run has the bulk of its advertising content done via pictures.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah my brother's business does that as well. Tweet out a pic and a link and you're only using at most 100 characters, and it's easy for your fans to spread the word.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Thanks for those answers, I was just genuinely curious.

What do you guys recommend as a good way to keep doing bjj for a long time? I feel like the older pro's get really hosed up ligaments and neck/hip injuries. Is there any stuff I could try and train a bit to avoid long lasting injuries?

Related to my second question I was curious about weak shoulders I've got, they sometimes feel quite sore. As if they could one day pop or something. I'm wondering if it could be that I've built much more muscle and the ligaments are kinda working to catch up and are getting pulled apart a bit under the strain. I've got about eight months of BJJ under the belt now.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I feel like Metamoris is, like, over designed. Is that a thing? I don't know

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I also feel like NAGA should take place at a truck stop or have GRAVEDIGGER ramping over the ring every few minutes.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

I also feel like NAGA should take place at a truck stop or have GRAVEDIGGER ramping over the ring every few minutes.

NAGA has a custom tractor trailer that carries all their mats and poo poo from tournament to tournament and it has a huge custom mural with the logo and a headshot of Kipp on the side, and one of the longest bouts of spontaneous laughter I've ever had was walking by it before a tournament and realizing that Kipp had apparently instructed the artist to give him eyebrows.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

fatherdog posted:

We both train at various Renzo/Almeida affiliated gyms;

So in addition to Tonon, you have trained with my new-found hero, patron saint of old-man-leg-locking-machines Eddie Cummings? I'm very jealous.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kekekela posted:

So in addition to Tonon, you have trained with my new-found hero, patron saint of old-man-leg-locking-machines Eddie Cummings? I'm very jealous.

I actually haven't had occasion to train with Eddie, we just know each other from tournaments and because we both know Garry.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

omg chael crash posted:

I feel like Metamoris is, like, over designed. Is that a thing? I don't know

I know what you mean. It's ascribed itself too much ceremony.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Metamoris' production is a little overdramatic but I still appreciate it for the absence of ads and yelling

I could watch Metamoris mid mushroom trip without getting freaked out but not the UFC or to a lesser extent other grappling, is my point. Also dig the who wants to be a millionaire lighting.

Decades fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 27, 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yeah I actually appreciate metamoris' style. The stage lighting the drummers. It reminds me of old Kung fu movies. I wish the ufc would be a little more like that and less 90's xtreme with their branding.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Decades posted:

Metamoris' production is a little overdramatic but I still appreciate it for the absence of ads and yelling

I could watch Metamoris mid mushroom trip without getting freaked out but not the UFC or to a lesser extent other grappling, is my point. Also dig the who wants to be a millionaire lighting.

I've only seen their ads but i really like their bright, simple, well done production. The absence of UFC style gaudy advertising is very welcome.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah I actually appreciate metamoris' style. The stage lighting the drummers. It reminds me of old Kung fu movies. I wish the ufc would be a little more like that and less 90's xtreme with their branding.

Totally. Also cot drat kip with eyebrows lmao.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Kekekela posted:

Over the years, I've invited lots of grappling goons visiting NYC to train with me in John's morning class at the Renzo Gracie Academy. No one has ever taken me up on the offer. I've never emphasized the guys who train with me but Eddie and Garry are among my teammates there in the morning. Just this morning we had Olympic judoka Travis Stevens, MMA fighter Jake Shields, Eddie, and many other good grapplers training with us.

Edit: So I'm extending a personal invitation to you kekekela to come train when you're here.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 28, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Yuns posted:

Over the years, I've invited lots of grappling goons visiting NYC to train with me in John's morning class at the Renzo Gracie Academy. No one has ever taken me up on the offer. I've never emphasized the guys who train with me but Eddie and Garry are among my teammates there in the morning. Just this morning we had Olympic judoka Travis Stevens, MMA fighter Jake Shields, Eddie, and many other good grapplers training with us.

Edit: So I'm extending a personal invitation to you kekekela to come train when you're here.

Yeah that sounds awesome and I'll definitely get up there at some point. Some friends and I have been quasi-planning a jits trip for later this year, currently the favored destination is Oceanside/SD but NYC is the other legit possibility. Whichever one we don't go to this trip, I'll do next time though (probably next year).

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
The Pan Am games are coming to my home town this summer and I'm looking at purchasing tickets to judo or wrestling. Are there any grapplers/weight classes in particular that I should be scoping out? I'm a BJJ guy so I don't know poo poo about the Pan Am scene for either sport, but I would sure love to see some high level man hugging.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Why is Oceanside a favored destination? I just moved to this horrible place with great beaches.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

1st AD posted:

Why is Oceanside a favored destination? I just moved to this horrible place with great beaches.

Geo Martinez's gym mainly. (also for me because my sister lives near there)

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
I currently have Mallet finger and I'm wearing a splint, anything i can do so I can still grapple or what activities could i do so i dont lose grip strength while i have it on?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Tuck it in your belt.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Speaking of injures, I just broke my hand. Getting some surgery done and a cool new plate put in. Already have one in my face. No contact sports for 3 months. Dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Crazy wristlock or did you fall on it?