Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Nuebot posted:

So here's a mean spirited anecdote. Well after dark souls 2 came out I played the first one again and screwed around with cheat engine and gave my character the ability to petrify other players instantly, it's worth noting that most of the people I invaded already had infinite HP active. I got a lot of hate mail for it. I felt that "git gud" was the appropriate response.

cheating is disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Nuebot posted:

So here's a mean spirited anecdote. Well after dark souls 2 came out I played the first one again and screwed around with cheat engine and gave my character the ability to petrify other players instantly, it's worth noting that most of the people I invaded already had infinite HP active. I got a lot of hate mail for it. I felt that "git gud" was the appropriate response.

You're a loving avenging angel in my eyes. The most cheating I do is run "pre-builts" (enough souls to get to my target level at the first bonfire and then enough to get my gear up to snuff / buy spells) to test out builds without as much of a grind, and I don't play *them* online. Well, except for the one time I forgot to put Steam into offline mode, got invaded in Sen's in NG+. I hid in Tarkus' room and chucking offensive miracles until he thought I was out of resources, then ganked him with a Lightning Avelyn. I almost felt guilty because I don't think he was a cheater, though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Len posted:

I have that trouble with SoM. loving no don't combat finish the little scrub guy. Combat finish a real threat you rear end in a top hat.

Talion deciding to use the in-combat mind-control finisher on someone who was already mind-controlled was always fun, since the effect is permanent and all.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

fallout new vegas was okay.

the main storyline was kinda boring and the gunplay was rear end just make the next fallout game using whatever game engine RAGE used, that was perfect post apocalypse shooting.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Lizard Wizard posted:

Grim Fandango, you idiot. :colbert:

Take the nostalgia goggles off, dork, and you'll see that it's an overrated pile of poo poo

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Boy goons sure do get worked up about tim schafer

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lord Lambeth posted:

Boy goons sure do get worked up about tim schafer
If you're a game developer and you make one mistake, goons who once lauded you will go Two Minutes Hate on you in no time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Accordion Man posted:

If you're a game developer and you make one mistake, goons who once lauded you will go Two Minutes Hate on you in no time.

fwiw i hated him before it was cool

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Accordion Man posted:

Tim Schafer made one mistake?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Tim Schafer made one mistake?
Yeah... not destroying Sauron's ring when he had the chance.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mister Adequate posted:

What sort of liberal schools do your kids go to, that you think rape and genocide are appropriate topics for them?

Aren't Clockwork Orange and Diary of Anne Frank standard high school books?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Take the nostalgia goggles off, dork, and you'll see that it's an overrated pile of poo poo

I don't really want to do that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I reinstalled Red Alert 2 today.

I also uninstalled Red Alert 2 today.

((IT HASNT AGED WELL, ESPECIALLY IN WIDESCREEEEEEENNNN))

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tim Schafer is cool because you can play as him in payday 2, except he's a very silly croatian man in that game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

To be fair I hear a lot of very valid criticisms of the man and the games he makes but his games are so irresistibly charming. I also did not get burned by spacebase df9, which helps.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The armored guys were worse for me since if they're next to a normal dude with an everyday average punchable face, it's pretty hard to get batman to hit the guy he can hit instead of going and punching the armored one like an idiot.

Honestly as smooth as the combat is in the arkham games I frequently found myself purposefully avoiding it by the end because it got repetitive and just knocking them out in goofy batman ways, batarangs and gel were more fun to me.

Especially in City when you can do that silly cartwheel/gel bomb move. I would run around dropping mines and laugh as they all blew up behind me

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lord Lambeth posted:

To be fair I hear a lot of very valid criticisms of the man and the games he makes but his games are so irresistibly charming. I also did not get burned by spacebase df9, which helps.
Yeah, there are quite good reasons to be wary about supporting them before they release a finished product, but the goon hate is hilarious, especially when it comes to people claiming games like Psychonauts and Brutal Legend were always poo poo unironically.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

I reinstalled Red Alert 2 today.

I also uninstalled Red Alert 2 today.

((IT HASNT AGED WELL, ESPECIALLY IN WIDESCREEEEEEENNNN))

You can change the resolution to anything from .ini file that's in game folder.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, there are quite good reasons to be wary about supporting them before they release a finished product, but the goon hate is hilarious, especially when it comes to people claiming games like Psychonauts and Brutal Legend were always poo poo unironically.
Brutal Legend isn't great though, it's fun for a few hours then it turns into a lovely version of Sacrifice

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SinineSiil posted:

You can change the resolution to anything from .ini file that's in game folder.

What always makes that game hard for me to go back to is the whole left-click-move thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In BF Hardline its really annoying that they split weapons across each side. So if you unlock a gun in your cop build you can't just use it when you're on the criminal side. This is especially annoying because it also means what attachments you have unlocked change based on what team you're playing.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mycot posted:

Aren't Clockwork Orange and Diary of Anne Frank standard high school books?

Diary of Anne Frank definitely is but I can't think of anyone who read Clockwork Orange in high school. Slaughter House 5, Animal Farm and 1984 are usually read as well.

So I finally save scammed my way through that lovely random computer quest in New Vegas, but now for some reason Veronica is stuck in place and won't follow me. I opened her companion wheel and told he to follow me, dismissed hr and picked he up again at Ig 88, tried physically moving her, nothing works. I really like this game but holy poo poo is it janky.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Doesn't help that Obsidian's ways of 'dealing with' rape and genocide are using them to show Caesar's Legion are cartoon bad guys with the subtlety of a sledgehammer

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Doesn't help that Obsidian's ways of 'dealing with' rape and genocide are using them to show Caesar's Legion are cartoon bad guys with the subtlety of a sledgehammer

Corporal Betsy's brief sidequest is some pretty sensitive, well-written poo poo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Corporal Betsy's brief sidequest is some pretty sensitive, well-written poo poo.

I solved it while wearing leopard-print pajamas and a comical space suit helmet.

Hello Betsy I am a moon hooker here to help you with your problems.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

When there's very little difference between "PvP" and "griefing", and I've been invaded by more than my fair share of MegaMule clones (seriously, an SL1 one-handing the Dragon's Tooth?), I would say that the only thing more toxic than the blowdart snipers is the community, yeah.

"You had trouble with that boss? Heh, it was no problem for me maybe you just suck." :smuggo: I don't even bother to ask questions about the Souls games anymore if I can possibly help it because of how many answers were just people rushing in to brag about how good they were/how easy it was/git gud etc.instead of giving any relevant advice.

Tweet Me Balls posted:

It was better than most games' handling of the topic, but it was still a pretty simplistic "pass some speech checks, get her to agree to therapy and everything is magically fine." Then brutally murder the rapist for some cash and chems of course.

Then Betty gets sent to some remote encampment in the middle of nowhere so she can't possibly get that therapy you fast traveled so hard for. :laffo:

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine

Strategic Tea posted:

i too wish they focused on the positive aspects of rape and genocide

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bloodborne's community seems a touch more accomodating than DS' so far, although Zaphod is doing his damndest to make sure Genocyber's contradictory spirit lives on in the SA thread.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

dataisplural posted:

i too wish they focused on the positive aspects of rape and genocide

the problem isn't lack of nuance, it's that the Legion's crimes could be switched for puppy killing and have the same impact. It's cheap 'THEY'RE EVIL DO YOU SEE GUYS' shorthand, not Clockwork Orange or 1984

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

the problem isn't lack of nuance, it's that the Legion's crimes could be switched for puppy killing and have the same impact. It's cheap 'THEY'RE EVIL DO YOU SEE GUYS' shorthand, not Clockwork Orange or 1984

Eh, not really. It was based on what the actual roman legions did. As much as the Legion seems like absolute strawman babykillers, a lot of their atrocities are based on actual things Rome did, and these days they're seen as the last true civilization before the "dark ages".

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Strategic Tea posted:

I remember when New Vegas came out and goons really tried their hardest to discuss the shades of grey between factions when the legion is so clearly videogame badguys that siding with them locks you out of the most content and gives you the worst rewards just like every other game that promises tough moral choices.

I think the only game I've ever played that rewarded evil characters on par with good guys is the first fable cuz you got an overpowered sword at the end but that changed when the expansion came out and you could get an equally strong sword of good like 10 minutes into it. Then all it's sequels railroaded you into being good.

Amorphous Blob has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Mar 28, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Legion's positive aspects are supposed to be, what's the word, practical? The one place in the wasteland where a raider won't jump you, an ideal that other governments could only dream of.

This is related to you by an NPC just standing in the Fort.

The Legion honestly seems unfinished. While you get to see the civil and the military sides to the other options, the Legion is just military. You only visit military installations and talk to the military. One guy just standing there for some reason tells you how it works, which you can never see yourself.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah, it's not like you ever visit their supposedly safe territory(and that would be really boring gameplay anyway) so you never get to see why you should overlook the rape, torture, slavery, etc.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Josh Sawyer said that they couldn't do what they really wanted with the Legion so they had to make them pure evil due to lack of time. I'm fine with that though because it makes me and Boone going around the countryside killing every LARPer we see totally justified. :black101:

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Accordion Man posted:

Josh Sawyer said that they couldn't do what they really wanted with the Legion so they had to make them pure evil due to lack of time. I'm fine with that though because it makes me and Boone killing a bunch of LARPers totally justified. :black101:

Is there a write up somewhere on how they were supposed to be? After my token play through of siding with them I always shoot them on sight. I don't even mind that they're evil so much as how they have nothing to offer in gameplay terms aside from a single hand to hand move.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Update on Batman Arkham Asylum: You guys were totally right, those guys with stun batons are far worse than those knife dudes. All it takes is me not paying attention to the dude I'm swinging at offscreen, and then my super combo gets interrupted from zap bat. :argh:

I'm about to hit the Poison Ivy fight, and the only advice I've gotten is "go watch a video on it, it's obnoxious".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Amorphous Blob posted:

Is there a write up somewhere on how they were supposed to be? After my token play through of siding with them I always shoot them on sight. I don't even mind that they're evil so much as how they have nothing to offer in gameplay terms aside from a single hand to hand move.

http://new.spring.me/#!/JESawyer/q/325677464040792162

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Austrian mook posted:

cheating is disgusting.

So that aside, I reinstalled oblivion and played that for a few minutes. Then stopped with a resounding "why". Most of the good mods for it are gone from the nexus and I just don't care enough to hunt them all down, and the game did not age well. So I guess oblivion being crap and not holding up to my memory of having fun of it is the problem here?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sacrifice is in my top 5 favorite games. Brilliant game. Fantastic, unfortunately dead multi.
Too bad late-game and the later single player missions are nigh uncontrollable clusterfucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

When you increase the difficulty setting in NBA2k15 it doesn't just make opposing teams better, it also makes your team worse. How the gently caress do you miss a wide open shot just 10 feet from the basket :argh: