Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

There have been multiple people posting varied definitions of cultural appropriation, none of which you have responded to as far as I can see beyond this post saying that none of them satisfy your criteria. Well, is there anything that would satisfy your criteria? I suspect that nothing will ever convince you, because you have already made up your mind on the issue. So for example, this statement from the UN Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples:

and this one from the Declaration of War Against Exploiters of Lakota Spirituality:

will not serve as evidence that it exists outside of a bludgeon by teenagers from livejournal. Instead, the forecast shows a 60% chance of nitpicking, with a substantial likelihood that you'll do some quick googling and declare that since UN Declarations aren't international law, it doesn't matter. Maybe you'll insist that the Declaration of War is irrelevant because you know better than the Lakota what their priorities should be.

No, instead I will insist this is a very specific case of protecting certain spiritual practices only and explicitly reserved for cultural insiders from commodification. It is something very, very different than Westerners wearing Chinese calligraphy tattoos and saris. Which is also different from early Rock artists aping from black musicians. And all of these are different from Redskins. I dare you to come up with a consistent definition of cultural appropriation that applies for all of these cases while also allowing cultural borrowing and interaction.

edit: nice snark and not-so-subtle accusation of racism btw :)

fspades fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

fspades posted:

No, instead I will insist this is a very specific case of protecting certain spiritual practices only reserved for cultural insiders from commodification. It is something very, very different than Westerners wearing Chinese calligraphy tattoos and saris. Which is also different from early Rock artists aping from black musicians. And all of these are different from Redskins. I dare you to come up with a consistent definition of cultural appropriation that applies for all of these cases while also allowing cultural borrowing and interaction.

Maybe for the second one, but for the first? Did you even read it? Of course you didn't.

But in any case, "cultural appropriation" is defined by academics as any case where one culture takes something from another culture and uses it, which covers everything on your list! Then they say that appropriation is only bad when it becomes damaging to the culture taken from! I, personally, in this thread, have said that appropriation is only this case of damaging to the culture borrowed from, because I consider the "appropriation" part to be important. This also covers all of these things except hanzi tattoos, which I merely said were Orientalist, so long as we consider Indian-American culture as something distinct from Indian culture and also as a real culture. Granted, you could argue that the overwhelmingly white nature of rock n' roll past the mid-50s is entirely coincidental, or that "Redskins" doesn't damage Amerindian cultures because you can't show that it causes exactly 12 units of cultural damage or whatever, or that Indian-Americans using the sari as a sign of their cultural identity is wrong, but then you've already accepted my terms.

quote:

edit: nice snark and not-so-subtle accusation of racism btw :)

I'm just saying things that you yourself said, and if you want a saccharine conversation, you're going to be continually disappointed.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

fspades posted:

This thread has failed to bring a coherent and clear definition for cultural appropriation. Ultimately all you claim is "I know it, when I see it." It's very easy (and satisfying, I bet) to throw empty platitudes about cultural sensitivity and not being a dick, but if you can't even define a problem how are you expecting to solve it?

By "failing to bring a coherent and clear definition" you seem to mean "lots of morons pretend not to know what it means, and I avidly pounce on their professed ignorance as somehow being an indictment of those who do know what it means."

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

Maybe for the second one, but for the first? Did you even read it? Of course you didn't.

But in any case, "cultural appropriation" is defined by academics as any case where one culture takes something from another culture and uses it, which covers everything on your list!
Who are these academics? Under what reasoning did they come up with this definition? Why they consider this term as useful, since it sounds incredibly vague and applicable to nearly anything? Let's see some citations. If we are going to talk about an academic subject, let's get academic.

Also, Redskins are emphatically not an example of cultural appropriation, even under this definition. You are confusing racist caricatures and racist speech with the appropriation of cultural artifacts. Maybe you could claim Redskins fans wearing feather headdresses is an example of cultural appropriation but that's not the real problem with Redskins isn't it?

quote:

Then they say that appropriation is only bad when it becomes damaging to the culture taken from! I, personally, in this thread, have said that appropriation is only this case of damaging to the culture borrowed from, because I consider the "appropriation" part to be important.

What does this even mean?? In what way can a culture be damaged? How do you define a culture and where does the borders of a culture end and others begin? How do you distinguish benign cultural change from cultural destruction or degeneration?

quote:

This also covers all of these things except hanzi tattoos, which I merely said were Orientalist, so long as we consider Indian-American culture as something distinct from Indian culture and also as a real culture.
...what?

quote:

Granted, you could argue that the overwhelmingly white nature of rock n' roll past the mid-50s is entirely coincidental, or that "Redskins" doesn't damage Amerindian cultures because you can't show that it causes exactly 12 units of cultural damage or whatever, or that Indian-Americans using the sari as a sign of their cultural identity is wrong, but then you've already accepted my terms.

No, that'd be stupid.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

fspades posted:

Who are these academics? Under what reasoning did they come up with this definition? Why they consider this term as useful, since it sounds incredibly vague and applicable to nearly anything? Let's see some citations. If we are going to talk about an academic subject, let's get academic.

Also, Redskins are emphatically not an example of cultural appropriation, even under this definition. You are confusing racist caricatures and racist speech with the appropriation of cultural artifacts. Maybe you could claim Redskins fans wearing feather headdresses is an example of cultural appropriation but that's not the real problem with Redskins isn't it?

James O. Young, professor of philosophy at the University of Victoria, and Susan Scafidi, professor of law at Fordham University, are two in particular who get cited fairly frequently in pop mentions.

Have you ever seen the Redskins' logo? Because your position, like many of the others you have expressed, seems to be based on major ignorance. Maybe you have them confused with the Cleveland Indians' old logo.

quote:

What does this even mean?? In what way can a culture be damaged? How do you define a culture and where does the borders of a culture end and others begin? How do you distinguish benign cultural change from cultural destruction or degeneration?

Okay, so if I were to burn down the Louvre, this would be a benign cultural change?

quote:

...what?

Just forestalling the response that it doesn't damage Indian culture, which has been used previously in this thread with regards to use of Japanese cultural artifacts. Didn't figure you'd go for insisting that all cultural change is necessarily neutral.

quote:

No, that'd be stupid.

Glad you can recognize that.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

When I was in high school my best friend's dad worked for Boeing there. This was during the Iraq invasion and stuff and I used to joke with him about how his new car ran on dead Iraqi kids blood oil money.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Echo Chamber posted:

You're doing exactly what I described, by twisting it into a story about the PC police.

I get the impression that they're not even arguing about the thing supposedly in question but are instead displaying the tip of the iceberg of anxiety and resentment.

"Making fun of clueless weaboos and sinophiles? It's gone too far. This is where I draw the line."

Nah, it's more "people need to chill out and stop getting pointlessly outraged over the stupidity of idiots"

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

fspades posted:

People are rightfully asking "is this really racist?" or "does this foster negative stereotypes?" because that's what they care about and they don't give two shits about academic subjects such as orientalism. That subject, btw, is much better discussed in a scholarly environment and not on the internet over dumb tattoos.

fspades posted:

I dare you to come up with a consistent definition of cultural appropriation that applies for all of these cases while also allowing cultural borrowing and interaction.

So you want a coherent (therefore technical, complex) definition, but you disregard the possibility of discussing "academic subjects." I'm afraid you can't have your cake and eat it too.

If one could sum up a complicated social phenomenon like "cultural appropriation" in a ten-word, always-applies soundbite, there wouldn't be much to discuss. Sorry the world doesn't operate that way.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blowfish posted:

Nah, it's more "people need to chill out and stop getting pointlessly outraged over the stupidity of idiots"

:ironicat:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:irony:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

James O. Young, professor of philosophy at the University of Victoria, and Susan Scafidi, professor of law at Fordham University, are two in particular who get cited fairly frequently in pop mentions.

Ok. From James O. Young we have Cultural Appropriation and the Arts. Looking at the reviews, he does not give a precise definition of culture and wants to focus on cultural appropriation during artistic production. Interestingly, he disagrees with your position and suggests a culture cannot claim ownership for an art product or artistic style, only individuals can, and only concrete objects at that. He also finds cultural harm argument weak as it can be done both by outsiders and insiders; also, cultural insiders would still have the ability to produce appropriated motifs and styles. Also causing offense to a cultural group might not necessarily be an ethically wrong thing to do. Basically a more comprehensive version of all the objections already given in this thread...

I couldn't get any review or summaries for Scafidi, so if you'd summarize her argument it'd would be helpful.

quote:

Have you ever seen the Redskins' logo? Because your position, like many of the others you have expressed, seems to be based on major ignorance. Maybe you have them confused with the Cleveland Indians' old logo.
I'd say the really offensive part is the name, and that's where discussion revolves around.

quote:

Okay, so if I were to burn down the Louvre, this would be a benign cultural change?
That's not the question. The question is if I printed out copies of Mona Lisa and sold it for :10bux: (to people who have never heard of Mona Lisa even) would that be objectionable action on the grounds that I distorted Renaissance era Italian culture and diminished the Louvre's standing? In fact, you could argue (and people do argue) Mona Lisa and everything else in the Louvre museum, including the artifacts that were explicitly stolen during the colonial period rightfully belongs to all mankind and not exclusively to this or that culture. Do you disagree with this view?

quote:

Just forestalling the response that it doesn't damage Indian culture, which has been used previously in this thread with regards to use of Japanese cultural artifacts. Didn't figure you'd go for insisting that all cultural change is necessarily neutral.

Whether cultural change is positive or negative depends heavily on someone's starting position. If I were a xenophobic cultural essentialist I could easily argue cultural appropriation is harmful... for the appropriators. It would be a logically consistent position if we agreed with its initial premises, but we don't have to. You, on the other hand, are making some controversial assumptions about culture but do not bother to back them up as if they were self-evident and anyone who disagrees with those assumptions is looking for an excuse to be a dick to minorities.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

fspades posted:

Ok. From James O. Young we have Cultural Appropriation and the Arts. Looking at the reviews, he does not give a precise definition of culture and wants to focus on cultural appropriation during artistic production. Interestingly, he disagrees with your position and suggests a culture cannot claim ownership for an art product or artistic style, only individuals can, and only concrete objects at that. He also finds cultural harm argument weak as it can be done both by outsiders and insiders; also, cultural insiders would still have the ability to produce appropriated motifs and styles. Also causing offense to a cultural group might not necessarily be an ethically wrong thing to do. Basically a more comprehensive version of all the objections already given in this thread...

I couldn't get any review or summaries for Scafidi, so if you'd summarize her argument it'd would be helpful.

No thank you, I'm not interested in your cosplay.

quote:

I'd say the really offensive part is the name, and that's where discussion revolves around.

The name is offensive because of their logo and iconography, aka the context around it. Nobody would care if they were the "Redskins" and they had a potato logo.

quote:

That's not the question. The question is if I printed out copies of Mona Lisa and sold it for :10bux: (to people who have never heard of Mona Lisa even) would that be objectionable action on the grounds that I distorted Renaissance era Italian culture and diminished the Louvre's standing? In fact, you could argue (and people do argue) Mona Lisa and everything else in the Louvre museum, including the artifacts that were explicitly stolen during the colonial period rightfully belongs to all mankind and not exclusively to this or that culture. Do you disagree with this view?

No, that's not the question you asked which I was responding to. Try again.

quote:

Whether cultural change is positive or negative depends heavily on someone's starting position. If I were a xenophobic cultural essentialist I could easily argue cultural appropriation is harmful... for the appropriators. It would be a logically consistent position if we agreed with its initial premises, but we don't have to. You, on the other hand, are making some controversial assumptions about culture but do not bother to back them up as if they were self-evident and anyone who disagrees with those assumptions is looking for an excuse to be a dick to minorities.

Whether all cultural change is the same thing depends on whether you're a moron or not. If I were as stupid as you, I could easily be insisting that destroying artistic works was identical to creating them, and it would be a logically consistent position if we agreed with the initial premises that "cultural change" is a single thing.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Holy poo poo there's been about four definitions of cultural appropriation used in this thread and everyone has been jumping to whichever definition best supports the point they're making while pretending whoever they are calling stupid is using the same definition.

Then we have other people talking about cultural appropriation as a morally bad thing, and then hiding behind the morally neutral definition when people argue with them.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

fspades posted:

Cultural appropriation is another trivial thing the worthless American left obsesses over while literally billions of "people of color" are suffering tremendously under poverty, exploitation and imperialism. The only reason why it is a hot button issue is because it involves Katy Perry and snotty college students.

How on earth is this thread 17 pages and just didn't end with this post. Although I suppose this topic is like the epitome of pointless 'progressive' hand wringing so it makes sense.

Typical Pubbie posted:

I don't think cultural appropriation is real. Rather it's just another overwrought, psuedo-intellectual term created by dipshit leftists to perpetuate white guilt.

A good summary.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

tsa posted:

How on earth is this thread 17 pages and just didn't end with this post. Although I suppose this topic is like the epitome of pointless 'progressive' hand wringing so it makes sense.

A good summary.

Fspades is not wrong.

Piss in one hand, whine about cultural appropriation in the other. See which one ever makes any difference

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
About to culturally appropriate some delicious hommmus. And wash it down with an IPA, my deepest condolences to the Raj.

tsa fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 28, 2015

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Thanks for telling minorities where their priorities should really lie. This is totally advice they've never gotten before.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This seems like an incredibly narrow definition of appropriation. If cultural appropriation only means literally wearing blackface or running around pretending to be japanese, it isn't an issue. Katy Perry wasn't pretending to be Japanese in her skit.

The problem is that all the examples I gave actually were cultural appropriation. The Mikado is practically a textbook case, it was literally "lol, japanese people are weird and funny", 1880's version. It included direct elements of Japanese music etc. It also is probably Gilbert and Sullivan's single greatest work, both in terms of lyrics and music.

Uh what the hell, this is incredibly wrong. Like the literal exact opposite of what it was- a critique on British society that used an imaginary setting to mask that critique. This was incredibly common for G and S. Sure, it took advantage of the fact that people of the time were really into the far east and half of them probably didn't even get the satire, but the whole point of why it was made had literally nothing to do with Japan at all, it was a completely imaginary setting that facially looked like Japan so they could mock upper class Brits.

I honestly have no idea where you would get that it was "lol, japanese people are weird and funny", you certainly would not find it from any reputable academic source.

E:

Actually the Mikado is a great example:

quote:

When Prince Fushimi Sadanaru made a state visit in 1907, the British government banned performances of The Mikado from London for six weeks,[n 7] fearing that the play might offend him – a manoeuvre that backfired when the prince complained that he had hoped to see The Mikado during his stay.

Seems like white people :qq: ing while the minorities they are allegedly protecting don't give a poo poo has a storied history.

tsa fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 28, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

My issue is that it seems like the only "troubling" examples of cultural appropriation seem to be accompanied by secondary characteristics that are clearly the issue (eg racist caricature), or the basis of the complaint is a bunch of nativist nonsense that would be rightly treated with derision coming from any other source that didn't allow for an opportunity to cache progressive street cred.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Suppose your family has some really special and unique holiday (say, Christmas) tradition. Maybe you all bake cinnamon rolls with your great grandmother's special recipe, and you've resolved to do it only once a year and never share them with people outside your family. It's your family's special thing, and it's very important to you that this be part of your family...but now look! Oh no! the recipe got outside your family! The rolls are delicious, so that's not too bad, but look! They're selling them year round and ignoring all the tradition that goes along with it! You complain, but everyone ignores you, because they're too busy eating cinnamon rolls.

You'd feel a little pissed off and disrespected, right?

No, not really because I'm not a huge baby.

Jarmak posted:

My issue is that it seems like the only "troubling" examples of cultural appropriation seem to be accompanied by secondary characteristics that are clearly the issue (eg racist caricature), or the basis of the complaint is a bunch of nativist nonsense that would be rightly treated with derision coming from any other source that didn't allow for an opportunity to cache progressive street cred.

It's kind of like when 'progressives' talk about gentrification and end up arguing that the races shouldn't mix.

tsa fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 28, 2015

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

7c Nickel posted:

Thanks for telling minorities where their priorities should really lie. This is totally advice they've never gotten before.

Karlmarx.txt

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jarmak posted:

My issue is that it seems like the only "troubling" examples of cultural appropriation seem to be accompanied by secondary characteristics that are clearly the issue (eg racist caricature),

There can often be comorbid factors of oppression. Like redlining, the 'real' problem is lack of economic opportunity for minorities that gives them a lower real income but on top of that blanket refusals to provide loans are also pretty bad!

Trying to establish a priority list of which problem is realer than the other is a great way to dither and avoid addressing any problems at all though, which is the main reason anyone brings it up in this thread (aside from looking for an avenue to whine about strawman progressives).

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Effectronica posted:

and this one from the Declaration of War Against Exploiters of Lakota Spirituality:

quote:

We especially urge all our Lakota, Dakota, and Nakota people to take action to prevent our own people from contributing to and enabling the abuse of our sacred ceremonies and spiritual practices by outsiders; for, as we all know, there are certain ones among our own people who are prostituting our spiritual ways for their own selfish gain, with no regard for the spiritual well-being of the people as a whole. 5. We assert a posture of zero-tolerance for any "white man's shaman" who rises from within our own communities to "authorize" the expropriation of our ceremonial ways by non-Indians; all such "plastic medicine men" are enemies of the Lakota, Dakota and Nakota people.

So why do the the opinions of the group of that wrote this declaration trump conflicting opinions held by other tribe members?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Armyman25 posted:

So why do the the opinions of the group of that wrote this declaration trump conflicting opinions held by other tribe members?

That's not why I posted it, and, uh, I don't think you understand what their issue is. I would appreciate an example.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Effectronica posted:

That's not why I posted it, and, uh, I don't think you understand what their issue is. I would appreciate an example.

I don't have an example, you're the one who posted it. From what the statement says though, the writers are unhappy with how other members of the tribe are practicing their religion. It really reminds me of the possibly apocryphal story about how Bruce Lee had to fight a one on one match to earn the right to teach kung fu to non-Chinese. Just because you are a member of a group doesn't make you the arbiter of what is or isn't a real expression of that group's culture.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Armyman25 posted:

I don't have an example, you're the one who posted it. From what the statement says though, the writers are unhappy with how other members of the tribe are practicing their religion. It really reminds me of the possibly apocryphal story about how Bruce Lee had to fight a one on one match to earn the right to teach kung fu to non-Chinese. Just because you are a member of a group doesn't make you the arbiter of what is or isn't a real expression of that group's culture.

Well, guy, Bingle it and you can see the full text and find out for yourself why this is a dumb position to have. I'm on a mobile right now.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
Its not my job to educate you shitlord!! (and i'm too lazy to/incapable of defending my own position, but i'll call you dumb anyway)

semper wifi fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 28, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

Just because you are a member of a group doesn't make you the arbiter of what is or isn't a real expression of that group's culture.

Haha people get thier panties so twisted about SJWs they start questioning the tenets of democracy, nice

"how can anyone ever really represent a group of people, that's like a hivemind. you're the real racist" -a shocking number of goons

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

semper wifi posted:

Its not my job to educate you shitlord!! (and i'm too lazy to/incapable of defending my own position, but i'll call you dumb anyway)

Fly away, little vulture.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Honestly I still haven't seen a definition of cultural appropriation that can't be just as easily categorized as gross insensitivity towards another culture or just good ol' fashioned racism.

It reminds me Diogenes waving a plucked chicken in Plato's face and saying "Behold a man!"

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 28, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Honestly I still haven't seen a definition of cultural appropriation that can't be just as easily categorized as gross insensitivity towards another culture or just good ol' fashioned racism.

That's sort of because cultural appropriation is gross insensitivity towards another culture or just good ol' fashioned racism. It's a particular form of those. You're complaining a chicken can't be defined completely independently of birds.

It isn't close to the worst thing one can do to a disadvantaged group, but it is one of the many, many ways the out-group can be exploited by the in-group.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That's sort of because cultural appropriation is gross insensitivity towards another culture or just good ol' fashioned racism. It's a particular form of those. You're complaining a chicken can't be defined completely independently of birds.

It isn't close to the worst thing one can do to a disadvantaged group, but it is one of the many, many ways the out-group can be exploited by the in-group.

You have to be seriously deluded to think the oft-cited "white girls with bindis" example (far and away the most common one given) qualifies as gross insensitivity or racism though, and it certainly doesn't count as exploitation either.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Haha people get thier panties so twisted about SJWs they start questioning the tenets of democracy, nice

"how can anyone ever really represent a group of people, that's like a hivemind. you're the real racist" -a shocking number of goons

Cultures don't have elected leaders, or leaders at all.

Take this for example.

http://www.wildhorsepassresort.com/culture posted:

The Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa is devoted to Cultural Sustainability. The property is owned by the Pima and Maricopa Tribes that comprise the Gila River Indian Community and their culture and heritage is woven into every aspect of the resort, offering an authentic and tangible cultural experience for guests and visitors.

For the traveler seeking a unique sense of place, we focus on Geotourism, or a version of tourism that sustains or enhances the geographical character of a place - its environment, culture, aesthetics, heritage, and the well-being of its residents. Located on the Gila River Indian Community, the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa has long been a inspiration for how to respectfully and authentically share Native American culture at a luxury resort and has won multiple national awards for those efforts.

Our unique programming is highlighted by a variety of exceptional offerings including; a Cultural Concierge, a Storytelling and Song Program that shares ancient legends, culinary items from Gila River Farms and Gila Crossing Schools and by preserving and displaying Arts and Crafts of the Pima and Maricopa.

The integrity of our cultural authenticity is second to none and we hope that you will immerse yourself in the inspiring cultures and traditions during your stay with us.

The Pima and Maricopa tribes opened a luxury hotel in south Phoenix, commodifying their own culture to sell to non-native tourists. Does it matter that a majority (or at least a majority of the powerful) in the tribe did this voluntarily? If a minority in the tribe considered this appropriation that was destroying their culture, would their opinion make it so?

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Look, cultural appropriation definitely exists, but don't you have to balance its negative aspects with its positive aspects? It seems like the argument is either "Cultural appropriation is obviously and only bad" or "cultural appropriation doesn't exist." But my feeling is that cultural appropriation's positive aspects more than make up for any negatives.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
It's like, yeah, I'm insulting your culture, but that's how art gets made.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

dogcrash truther posted:

Look, cultural appropriation definitely exists, but don't you have to balance its negative aspects with its positive aspects? It seems like the argument is either "Cultural appropriation is obviously and only bad" or "cultural appropriation doesn't exist." But my feeling is that cultural appropriation's positive aspects more than make up for any negatives.

What definition are you using?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Powercrazy posted:

My disgust with current intellectual property law and disdain of corporate branding doesn't preclude me from calling out attempts at forcing a particular ~societal ideal~ using those systems.

And please "compliance with the law"? :rolleyes:

In the case of trademarks, I think those who are arguing about a 'chilling effect on free speech' have a vital misconception: they are acting as if all parties involved fall singularly under the protection of the US legal code. What's really happening is that the party who comes from a vulnerable group and is asking for redress from the US legal system comes from a cultural group that have a different-desired legal code, but their unempowered status means that they don't have the means to enforce that legal code.

If you continually offend someone by misconstruing who they are, and their legal system is not given due influence in your system (so there's no way for their greivance to be redressed), you may push them to a breaking point.

If you own a newspaper and you continually run depictions of a situationally-vulnerable group as violent heathens, offended members may try to use their legal background to forward a grievance to the members of your judicial system - who dismiss it with a free speech argument, saying "yeah, you're here, where that law means nothing - how are you going to enforce your grievance? You and whose army?" Then, when you continue to demonize that group, you should not be surprised if they shoot up your newspaper office.

Laws to dissuade the powerful from habitually infringing on a right to expression enshrined under a different legal code exist as a concession because a federalist domestic legal system does not want to give equal weight to the unempowered group's code of laws, but wants to avoid the (possibly violent) reprisals that completely ignoring grievances would bring. In other words, giving allowance for those with a protected status lets them be second class citizens somewhat peacefully. The Lanham Act is there for your own good if you are on the side of the powerful, because you don't want the underclasses having a rallying point do you? so you either play by it, or you can be Charlie.

Native American tribes don't get to go by the trademark laws of their own choosing because legal treaties with them were violated time and again on the idea of might making right, and now it isn't their land to be able to go by their own laws.

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 29, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

There can often be comorbid factors of oppression. Like redlining, the 'real' problem is lack of economic opportunity for minorities that gives them a lower real income but on top of that blanket refusals to provide loans are also pretty bad!

Trying to establish a priority list of which problem is realer than the other is a great way to dither and avoid addressing any problems at all though, which is the main reason anyone brings it up in this thread (aside from looking for an avenue to whine about strawman progressives).

You're missing my point, I wasn't establishing priority, I was saying that no one has demonstrated that cultural appropriation is a bad thing without relying on examples rife with other characteristics that make it bad.

I'm also failing to see how treating far eastern culture as exotic is some sort of horrible thing, authentic far eastern culture is somewhat exotic in the US due to lack of exposure to a majority of the population. Many American things are also considered trendy and exotic in the far east (particularly among the rising Chinese middle class) because of their relative rarity over there. "This thing is cool because I know about it/have it and most people don't" is a behavior as old as recorded history and while it might indict some douchebaggery depending on the intensity and/or context, I find it hard to consider a social justice issue.

Now if you're talking about treating Asian American's as some sort of exotic other then we're getting into new territory, but I think that starts getting into the problem being racism.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So racism is OK as long as the object of it is separated by the Pacific Ocean? Why are Asians living in America any different from Asians living in Asia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Well for one thing it's a a lot harder to beat someone up or fire them or even have a coherent opinion about them when a person lives thousands of miles away. Sort of reduces the impact

• Locked thread