Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

slidebite posted:

As someone that had family live there for many years, Belize really is a 3rd world poo poo hole though.

Yeah but rice and beans with stew chicken is pretty up there on the list of things I wish I could eat forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Eej posted:

Yeah but rice and beans with stew chicken is pretty up there on the list of things I wish I could eat forever.

Just get one of those boxes of red beans and rice and throw in some chicken if you're that hard up for it, super easy to make, dude.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SyHopeful posted:

Bud Holland's Advanced Flight Trainer

"The only game where you're not graded on technique or efficiency, but how much damage you've caused to the airframe by loving around!"

Level 1: Barrel-rolling over your kid's tee-ball game.

Level 10: Avoiding special weapons storage bunkers when crashing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 28, 2015

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Didn't even know there were diesel airplanes.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Nice piece of fish posted:

Soaring coal.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Grover did LH9525

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Heading out to the Air Force Museum in Dayton today (lived here 8 years never gone) on a father/son day and taking my 18 month old with me. Under normal circumstances I might try to stay forever and sneak into a plane to never leave, but I'll probably need to limit my trip to 2-3 hours for my son.

What are the must see aircraft and any other tips for people who have gone there in the past? Bonus if there are some little kid related items or activities. Also is anyone familiar with aircraft you are allowed to sit in, or is the entire place viewing only?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well, Jet-A more or less is diesel. At least, you can run Jet-A in a diesel. Don't actually know if you can go the other way.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Linedance posted:

Well, Jet-A more or less is diesel. At least, you can run Jet-A in a diesel. Don't actually know if you can go the other way.

Diesel doesn't do great at low temperature, and isn't held to standards as stringent as aviation fuels when it comes to war inclusions, impurities and whatnot. I wouldn't recommend it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You joke, but Russia actually had a few diesel-engined bombers during WW2.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
THIELERT

*runs away*

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

dietcokefiend posted:

Also is anyone familiar with aircraft you are allowed to sit in, or is the entire place viewing only?

It's been a while but IIRC there's an F-4 & F-16 you can sit in plus a WWII bomber (can't remember which one) that you can walk through.

They also have a handful of aircraft with a viewing platform built next to the cockpit (some fighter from the late 50s/early 60s and an A-10, maybe others) that you can get a close look at.

e: I forgot (mainly because the bus that takes you to the on-base section wasn't running last time I was there thanks to the government shutdown) they also have four presidential aircraft that are open to the public.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 28, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I remember as a kid being at Sky Harbor when they scrambled the entire ANG wing of KC-135's, stopping all of the civilian traffic as 6 (if my small kid memory is right) of these took off, one right after the other, so close together that they were starting the takeoff roll before the previous one had rotated. It was glorious, but I have no idea how the 4th-6th pilots could tell where the runway was there was so much black smoke. And the noise..

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Scratch Monkey posted:

Grover did LH9525

Whatever happened to Grover? Did he finally get RUNNOFT or something?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Another unmanned aerial vehicle crashes

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Whatever happened to Grover? Did he finally get RUNNOFT or something?

I presume he's buried under a pile of formerly load-bearing drywall. Either that or his house sunk into the swamp.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

Beyond this thread, there is no good, well thought out, and logical discussion on aviation anywhere else. Probably because so many of us are/were flyers or work in aviation.

R/aviation has a few moments, but it's still mostly a cesspool.

R/flying is pretty good. Its mostly flight training stuff, but occasionally more general aviation things come up.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MrChips posted:

I presume he's buried under a pile of formerly load-bearing drywall. Either that or his house sunk into the swamp.

GiP ran him off.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

MrChips posted:

Either that or his house sunk into the swamp.

He'll just build a new house on top of the one that sunk into the swamp.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

He'll just build a new house on top of the one that sunk into the swamp.

But won't that sink into the swamp too?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Then he'll build a third that'll burn down, fall over then sink into the swamp!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

jammyozzy posted:

Then he'll build a third that'll burn down, fall over then sink into the swamp!

But the fourth house lads, the fourth house will stand!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

But the fourth house lads, the fourth house will stand!

and it'll be the strongest house in the land.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Don't not read this story.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wish I could hear the guy's call to his insurance company.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The best line of that article.

quote:

The Transportation Safety Board was notified but an official told CBC News that aside from noting the incident, it would not be pursuing the investigation any further.

I can just imagine some guy in the office going "Uh huh, uh huh, un huh. Ok, bye." and then just bursting out laughing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nah the TSB is actually pretty good (maybe too good) with journalists. I work in the marine industry in Canada, and quite often the first indication we have that someone else had a boo-boo is when the TSB tweets that they're dispatching investigators, which is usually within hours of an incident. Having seen how they deal with the press, CBC probably wasn't talking to some random flunky trying to get them off the line.

They decide pretty quickly whether or not they'll do a full out investigation, too.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The TSB is Canada's one freakishly efficient government office, and they're amazingly good at what they do.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MohawkSatan posted:

The TSB is Canada's one freakishly efficient government office, and they're amazingly good at what they do.

Wow, really? I guess constant scandal with the NTSB made somebody get their poo poo together.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

MohawkSatan posted:

Too bad they've got absolutely no regulatory power. I wonder why they don't have "WE loving TOLD YOU SO" on their windbreakers at this point.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

The Hustler is sexy and all, but the Valkyrie was the most beautiful thing to ever fly.

:colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nah, the Hustler is sexier

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, the Hustler is sexier

Nope, Lockheed Constellation.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKcqW95bPyw

Too bad she had to be put to sleep, never saw one fly with my own eyes sadly... I have a nice big model of it in my living room and a real ADI sitting next to it. if I ever find myself on the English riviera I hope I might be able to fly the old BA sim for free using my mad engineering cred, too bad it's fixed base and not all of the cockpit is working all the time.

Concorde is something that truly made the civil aviation world magical to me. All the A380s, 787s in the world and all the latest bizjet toys I work with nowadays still pale in comparison.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 28, 2015

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Psh. The Russians built shittier and prettier Concorde.

e: timg'ed

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Man, I love the Concorde and all, but that's the wrongest opinion in a world where the Valkyrie exists.

I'll give the Connie honorable mention. Speaking of, here's a pretty cool video about restoring a Connie. It's auf Deutsch, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMcH0BFNSek

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 28, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

That's probably because it's like 6 guys with 200 years of experience between them. They can probably do what they do and still get 9 holes in on a Friday with 2 off on vacation at any given time.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Gervasius posted:

Psh. The Russians built shittier and prettier Concorde.

e: timg'ed

Sure it's pretty but the Tu-144 was so heinously bad that even the Soviets thought it was too dangerous to put into passenger service. Let that sink in for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Out of curiosity, is there an Aeronautical Insanity channel in synirc?