Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

FCKGW posted:

This guy is possibly the most annoying person on YouTube but if you put it on silent you can see this guys amazing Bitcoin mining shed. Gaze upon the power extension cord hanging from the second story air conditioner and through several puddles, pushing an obviously higher load than rated for. Marvel at the single 120mm computer case fan cooling the entire operation, a fan exposed to the elements and letting rain inside on a frequent basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ylVOLvoiY

What confuses me aside from the rest of the obvious is why the hell did he bother to 3D print a shroud like that? Couldn't he have just gone to the hardware store and angle-cut a section of pipe to accomplish that exact same shape? When he said he was going to 3D print a cover, I....guess I wrongly and unreasonably expected something that'd take a bit of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think common sense is something you forgo when you start bitcoin mining

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Agrinja posted:

What confuses me aside from the rest of the obvious is why the hell did he bother to 3D print a shroud like that? Couldn't he have just gone to the hardware store and angle-cut a section of pipe to accomplish that exact same shape? When he said he was going to 3D print a cover, I....guess I wrongly and unreasonably expected something that'd take a bit of effort.

Dudes that have a 3d printer sitting in their house have to find someway to justify their purchases.

His way was using a several hundred dollar printer and probably $10 worth of plastic to do something a $1.97 piece of pipe would do.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

I don't think you understand. They're still building the same suburban sprawl. Expect instead of having 10 houses on a block you now have 25.
I don't even get it anymore, why not just build rowhouses at that point.

I dream of buying a proper house someday, but I'm going to drop a quarter to half a million on a decent home it drat well better have more than 3 feet between my neighbor's way. And not be a cookie cutter cinderblock and stucco monstrosity.

No I get it, I just think it will eventually converge into

Dillbag posted:

3 feet away? poo poo, that's enough space for a hammock! I live in Vancouver near a neighbourhood called Strathcona where the 60 to 100 year old houses are built so close together that the loving gutters overlap. I'm pretty sure one house fire could easily take out an entire block.

)

Want to purchase a stand alone property in this wonderful neighbourhood where a 25 year old woman had several fingers cut off during a random sexual assault two days ago? A tear-down will run in you in the $750k-range, with a fixer upper easily a million plus. You too could live next door to Vancouver's worst neighbourhood!

and ultimately into an actual city.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Yeah I think some texas redneck has either only used car inverters, or solar inverters 5-10 years ago, both of which put out poo poo "modified" sine waves (IE square waves with a notch in them) and were 80% efficient at best. Good, long-term use installed inverters are much better now, though the lovely ones you buy for your car are probably still poo poo.

:blush: I was going on my own experience with switching power supplies and several UPS models. Ignore me.

apatite posted:

if you can't hear/smell the neighbor fart your houses are too far away from each other

In one apartment I had, I could smell when my neighbor took a poo poo, and he could smell our :420:. It didn't help that our bathroom fans shared a common exhaust (yay late 60s construction).

He also smoked out my apartment when he left something on the stove and went to work. Nobody in the building called 911, but when I got home I had 2 other neighbors run up to me and ask me to call 911 because of the smoke. :wtc: WHY THE gently caress DIDN'T YOU CALL THEM YOURSELF?! Wound up being a fire that would have been limited to the area around his stove had people actually called 911, but wound up gutting his kitchen and living room, and wound up leaving both of our apartments uninhabitable for several days. I got home a few minutes after people started noticing smoke. :fuckoff:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Seriously though, sections of extension cord running through puddles is really no big deal as long as the jacket is intact and SJOW or SJOOW rated. poo poo is not as fragile as it looks, unless you're using the worst cable imaginable.

edit: or SOW and SOOW I guess, although gently caress those stupidly thick jackets.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 28, 2015

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Also water + electricity does not equal instant death hazard like most people assume.

How else do you think Christmas lights, which are just cheap rear end extension cords with a series of bulb sockets, would survive in the rain?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SoundMonkey posted:

Seriously though, sections of extension cord running through puddles is really no big deal as long as the jacket is intact and SJOW or SJOOW rated. poo poo is not as fragile as it looks, unless you're using the worst cable imaginable.

edit: or SOW and SOOW I guess, although gently caress those stupidly thick jackets.

Just make extra loving sure you have a properly grounded outlet and an inline-GFCI breaker. Learning the hard way that a puddle is electrified kinda sucks.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
http://imgur.com/3v6O0oH

Phone posting but just saw this wall of a building in downtown Frederick Md.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

FCKGW posted:

Or they have a family or they'd like something larger than 2-3 bedrooms but whatever I guess everyone should live in a 800sq. ft. shoebox because you have a deep understanding of everyone's living situation.

Over the past 40 years, median lot size has decreased by about 10%, while median home size has increased 64%. Over that same period, average household size has dropped substantially, so the average space per person has actually nearly doubled. You can describe it in more or less cynical ways, but I'm doubting that the nearby neighborhoods packed tight with 3500 square foot homes are filled with people who really need that much space for their half a dozen children.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Thank god I get to live in the sparsely populated north of the world. Ideally I shouldn't be able to see or hear my neighbors by naked eye alone, but I take what I can get.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

FCKGW posted:

This guy is possibly the most annoying person on YouTube but if you put it on silent you can see this guys amazing Bitcoin mining shed. Gaze upon the power extension cord hanging from the second story air conditioner and through several puddles, pushing an obviously higher load than rated for. Marvel at the single 120mm computer case fan cooling the entire operation, a fan exposed to the elements and letting rain inside on a frequent basis.
Guy looks exactly like I imagine a bitcoin cultist would. I bet he owns a fedora too.

My favorite part is the tiny computer fan in the wall.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mercury Ballistic posted:

:ohdear: that's scary just to look at

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zhentar posted:

Over the past 40 years, median lot size has decreased by about 10%, while median home size has increased 64%. Over that same period, average household size has dropped substantially, so the average space per person has actually nearly doubled. You can describe it in more or less cynical ways, but I'm doubting that the nearby neighborhoods packed tight with 3500 square foot homes are filled with people who really need that much space for their half a dozen children.

Well I see it as people realizing having large yards isn't that important so why not optimize the lot space with more house.

Going from an 1100 sq. ft. house to something much larger, I would never want to live in something that small again. Having more space is just nice and there's nothing wrong with it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Eh brick walls get dirty on the outside I mean who is going to cloh my god is that leaning towards me :stonk:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Manslaughter posted:

Eh brick walls get dirty on the outside I mean who is going to cloh my god is that leaning towards me :stonk:

Differential settlement is a hell of a thing, ain't it?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's more fun to assume something's really wrong with the parking garage behind it. :colbert:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

FCKGW posted:

Well I see it as people realizing having large yards isn't that important so why not optimize the lot space with more house.

Going from an 1100 sq. ft. house to something much larger, I would never want to live in something that small again. Having more space is just nice and there's nothing wrong with it.

I disagree, we're 4 people and we built a house that's 1500 sq.ft (actual living area 1300 sq.ft), it's enough to give a room to everyone ad one office with space left over, a smart interior design helps a lot too. Any bigger and we'd just be having a bunch of empty rooms we'd be heating (or cooling), that kind of energy waste is not not wrong in my eyes.

I think it's much better to have a bigger yard and have utilitarian structures you build for specific purposes instead of having it all in your one bigger house. Like a workshop/garage, doesn't have to be heated as much as the house for instance, and a storage room or a garden shed doesn't have to be heated at all.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Go home, home, you're drunk.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wow.....so this must be the village "The Pillars of the Earth" series was based on.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Motronic posted:

Wow.....so this must be the village "The Pillars of the Earth" series was based on.

That was a made-up cross between Salisbury and Winchester, so, not really.

Winchester is a great story for this thread actually... It contains an enormous stone cathedral.

Built on a swamp.

As you might expect... it sank. The story of its rescue is fantastic http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/our-heritage/famous-people/william-walker-the-diver-who-saved-the-cathedral/

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

thespaceinvader posted:

That was a made-up cross between Salisbury and Winchester, so, not really.

Winchester is a great story for this thread actually... It contains an enormous stone cathedral.

Built on a swamp.

As you might expect... it sank. The story of its rescue is fantastic http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/our-heritage/famous-people/william-walker-the-diver-who-saved-the-cathedral/

This is a great story...

quote:

His huge, heavy diving suit took a long time to put on. So when he stopped for lunch, he’d just take off his helmet. He also sometimes smoked his pipe, which he thought would kill off any germs.

Pretty sure we visited Winchester cathedral when I went to England to see family as a kid. Of course I didn't pay that much attention as a kid but now I'd be into it.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.

Agrinja posted:

FCKGW posted:

Dudes that have a 3d printer sitting in their house have to find someway to justify their purchases.

His way was using a several hundred dollar printer and probably $10 worth of plastic to do something a $1.97 piece of pipe would do.

I was yelling at my screen about this too before I even got to p124. But really, what do you expect from someone who paid for a competent electrician to run a dedicated 20A circuit to the wrong building to loving MINE BITCOINS? His place looks decent enough, maybe we'll get more videos out of him providing glimpses of slowly loving it up for the next owner.

enziarro fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 29, 2015

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FCKGW posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ylVOLvoiY

Can he, in fact, whore any more products or people?

Also, wife? Pics or GTFO, Barneyackles.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
Oh god, I thought I'd never hear about that guy again. He made a video over one of my Thingiverse objects. After seeing his bedroom I had no doubt in my mind he was single, the second car is probably also his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D82FvfbCpAk

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahaha holy poo poo an OUYA controller. That's icing on a whole lot of terrible. :allears:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SynthOrange posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo an OUYA controller. That's icing on a whole lot of terrible. :allears:

i like how he hands them all right next to his bed, on his nightstand

not like the bed is used for anything else

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I also tried to watch the video but the camera is pointed at his horrible stache the whole time. Gross.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I loved his idea of marking out the levels before drilling.

Hold the bracket against the wall. Eyeball it. Drill. Check the level after drilling.

gently caress "Measure twice, cut once", this guy is pulling "Don't bother measuring, drill, hope it's level."

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

gently caress "Measure twice, cut once", this guy is pulling "Don't bother measuring, drill, hope it's level."

except he checked the level before every screw drilled?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

except he checked the level before every screw drilled?

lets also note that chickenbrisket felt the need to hang his video game controllers on his wall so much that he designed a 3d printable hanger for them, and shared it publicly with the rest of the internet, but now wants to call out others for using it.

You put literal man hours into designing an item for suspending your videogame paraphernalia instead of putting it on a box or shelf like a normal human being.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

lets also note that chickenbrisket felt the need to hang his video game controllers on his wall so much that he designed a 3d printable hanger for them, and shared it publicly with the rest of the internet, but now wants to call out others for using it.

You put literal man hours into designing an item for suspending your videogame paraphernalia instead of putting it on a box or shelf like a normal human being.

I can understand the idea. I put a big old screw into the side of my computer desk to hang my headset from. :shrug:

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Yeah, I spent literal man minutes designing a hanger to suspend some poo poo off the side of my dvd storage thing instead of putting them on a shelf. I'm not calling him out for using it, I'm laughing at his bachelor as gently caress bedroom. Also that was the wrong video, I just posted the one he posted on my Thingiverse page. This is his bedroom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQUm5LvP6bI.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Even the cartoon version of him has that gross pubestache. I think I'm going to barf.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chickenbisket posted:

Yeah, I spent literal man minutes designing a hanger to suspend some poo poo off the side of my dvd storage thing instead of putting them on a shelf. I'm not calling him out for using it, I'm laughing at his bachelor as gently caress bedroom. Also that was the wrong video, I just posted the one he posted on my Thingiverse page. This is his bedroom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQUm5LvP6bI.

I wanna beat this guy up and take his lunch money.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Chickenbisket posted:

I guess this is what our technology overlords wanted. For us to buy every tech possible and put them all on a lonely single breaker.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My room gets hot enough with 1 TV, a media PC, and an AV receiver. Add a fatass, humidifier, heated sheets, multiple game consoles, and bigass projector to it and it sounds like one hell of a sauna.

The upside is at least he has enough room to move around in there. My bedroom is pretty cramped with a small desk and a double bed. :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

My room gets hot enough with 1 TV, a media PC, and an AV receiver. Add a fatass, humidifier, heated sheets, multiple game consoles, and bigass projector to it and it sounds like one hell of a sauna.

The upside is at least he has enough room to move around in there. My bedroom is pretty cramped with a small desk and a double bed. :sigh:

He even said he had to move the consoles because where they were before was causing them to overheat each other.

I suppose just turning only one on at a time isn't an option either.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
This is at a hospital in the Salt Lake area:

The ceiling on the other side of the wall is about a foot lower, so the penetrations are all covered. double check your prints, y'all.

I'm also currently nursing about 10 cuts on my arm from some cable tray installed by an electrician who has never heard of a file before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Chickenbisket posted:

For a second I wondered why he did this all in one tiny bedroom, then I realized its probably due to his mother not wanting it out in the living room.