Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's just getting to the point where I almost feel like an atheist listening to people like her.
Well, in fairness, the beliefs of the Christian Right are about as far as one can possibly get from actual Christianity.

Which isn't much comfort when they're driving the entire religious narrative in this country, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

The same reason why people say President Bush, President Carter, etc...

The usage of Obama's middle name is also 100% normal and not dog whistling.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

PhazonLink posted:

I like people who call him B. Hussein Obama, or even put the HUSSEIN in all caps.

Speaking of middle names, I just learned recently that Ted Cruz's first name is actually Rafael. I assume it's common knowledge, but I had never heard him referred to as anything other than Ted.

Considering how much Rush and Co. seem to think that Obama is immune to criticism because of his racial background, and how much they believe he only won because of his racial background, you'd think they'd be pushing the "first Hispanic president" angle for Cruz a bit harder.

Cruz and Obama have a lot in common, in that respect. The only major difference is that Cruz was actually born in another country.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's standard etiquette that you refer to someone as the highest rank they ever earned in politics/the military. So just like you'd refer to a retired General as General Soandso, former governors are Governor unless they become like a Senator or President/Vice-President.

I feel like this standard should not apply to people who resigned from their position or were run out of the military.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Leofish posted:

Considering how much Rush and Co. seem to think that Obama is immune to criticism because of his racial background, and how much they believe he only won because of his racial background, you'd think they'd be pushing the "first Hispanic president" angle for Cruz a bit harder.

If he gets the nom or becomes the star of the week again, they will.

Also B-Rock doesn't count as the first black prez. He's a half-breed/one drop rule. Our newest token is going to be the 1st real one.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Typical Pubbie posted:

I feel like this standard should not apply to people who resigned from their position or were run out of the military.

I think it doesn't apply to anyone discharged dishonorably from the military and I'm unclear on whether or not it applies to someone who loses elected office through impeachment. Nixon was still President Nixon, as I understand it.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Chantilly Say posted:

I think it doesn't apply to anyone discharged dishonorably from the military and I'm unclear on whether or not it applies to someone who loses elected office through impeachment. Nixon was still President Nixon, as I understand it.

Nixon wasn't impeached, he was never 'forced' out of office. He resigned before it happened.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Leofish posted:

I like people who call him B. Hussein Obama, or even put the HUSSEIN in all caps.

Speaking of middle names, I just learned recently that Ted Cruz's first name is actually Rafael. I assume it's common knowledge, but I had never heard him referred to as anything other than Ted.

Cruz and Obama have a lot in common, in that respect. The only major difference is that Cruz was actually born in another country.

Obama used to go by the anglicized 'Barry' but now uses his birth name.

Rafael Edward Cruz is one of the good 'uns who has assimilated.

White Jindal Portrait.jpg

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I got a lesbian friend who's an aspiring stage actor. I like to call her a thesbian. Took her quite some time to realize exactly what I was saying.

Yeah this is from a bit back. But during an argument with a cousin who was hugely into school plays I called her a "tenacious thespian" and stomped off.

The look on her face when she told her mom what I'd said - and her mom burst out laughing - was priceless.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Wait so Cruz was actually born in Canada, and it's not unconstitutional for him to run for president? Why is that? Was he born on a US military base or something?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Feral_Shofixti posted:

Nixon wasn't impeached, he was never 'forced' out of office. He resigned before it happened.

Clinton was impeached and we still call him President Clinton. :smug:

Coohoolin posted:

Wait so Cruz was actually born in Canada, and it's not unconstitutional for him to run for president? Why is that? Was he born on a US military base or something?

Yeah you'd think that the people supporting him were ideologically inconsistent or something. :iiam:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

His mother was a US citizen, so he was a citizen of the US at birth. It's never been formally defined or tested in court, but most people agree that's enough to meet the constitution's "natural born citizen" requirement.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Coohoolin posted:

Born in Canada, the son of a Cuban, and an agent of Canadian Intelligence secretly plotting to reunify us with Great Britain. :ohdear:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If one of your parents is American you can be president. Its just a shame that people are allowed to pretend our sitting president somehow isn't American because he makes certain people uncomfortable for reasons they just can't quite put their finger on.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Wait I thought you had to be born on US soil. I was born in England but my mother's American, does that mean I get to run? I'm not surprised the right wing has double standards, duh, it's bleeding obvious, I was just actually confused about the constitutional issues.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Coohoolin posted:

Wait I thought you had to be born on US soil. I was born in England but my mother's American, does that mean I get to run? I'm not surprised the right wing has double standards, duh, it's bleeding obvious, I was just actually confused about the constitutional issues.

If you're mother's an American citizen, then you are eligible, yes. The supposed constitutional issues surrounding Obama are nothing but racism/"He's a demonrat" looking for a lever.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

If you're mother's an American citizen, then you are eligible, yes. The supposed constitutional issues surrounding Obama are nothing but racism/"He's a demonrat" looking for a lever.

Has anybody shoved a mic in front of Orly Taitz to ask her about Cruz?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

radical meme posted:

Has anybody shoved a mic in front of Orly Taitz to ask her about Cruz?

Oh you'll be seeing plenty of her next year if Cruz is still in the primaries. She'll be needing some more attention about that time.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Ok, I certainly agree...but that wasn't the point. People who hold office still get called by that office's name after they've left. It is just something that has happened for ages.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cythereal posted:

Hooo boy well my career options just opened up.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Hooo boy well my career options just opened up.

Have you been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bel Shazar posted:

Have you been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States?

Hah, of course there's a catch. Nah, but I've got time.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Coohoolin posted:

Are you a legal registered as a citizen? (Paying taxes, US passport, etc)

If not it is hard to make the argument you are eligible to run, although the hurdles for registration/immigration are lower if one or both parents are citizens.

On the other hand you have Arnold Schwarzenegger is a legal immigrant but is ineligible for the White House because neither he nor his parents were born here. The Founders were afraid of some European Royal House sending a few people here and taking over the political system.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 28, 2015

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

McDowell posted:

Are you a legal registered as a citizen? (Paying taxes, US passport, etc)

If not it is hard to make the argument you are eligible to run, although the hurdles for registration/immigration are lower if one or both parents are citizens.

Yeah I've got a passport, 2 years after I was born my mother and I moved to New York and stayed there for another 2 years before moving to Switzerland to be with my dad. I'm voting absentee in 2016 as a New Yorker.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm reading Infinite Jest and like to think that Cruz is a sleeper agent for the Quebecois separatists living in the western concavity. Possibly aligned with the wheel chair assassins.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Coohoolin posted:

Yeah I've got a passport, 2 years after I was born my mother and I moved to New York and stayed there for another 2 years before moving to Switzerland to be with my dad. I'm voting absentee in 2016 as a New Yorker.

You just need to be 35+ and get another 12 years of living in the US together and then yes, you can run for president.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cythereal posted:

Also for what it's worth, just having an American father instead would work just as well, under current law.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I get that people keep their titles, but you only have to use it if they deserve respect.

For people like Palin and Nixon, you don't need to use it.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Coohoolin posted:

You're going to have to stop using words like 'bleeding' and 'bloody' when you are not referring to bodily fluids if you want to be a REAL American citizen.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Feral_Shofixti posted:

You're going to have to stop using words like 'bleeding' and 'bloody' when you are not referring to bodily fluids if you want to be a REAL American citizen.
Also if you use the word maths or sport as a plural you're instantly disqualified.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Feral_Shofixti posted:

And start dropping half the sounds in the word "aluminum."

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I thought British accents were like sorcery for American audiences, even Piers Morgan sounds respectable over there. Besides, I could just run a campaign photoshopping myself into Malcolm Tucker's US scenes from In The Loop and be done with it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

More fun with christian radio!

Was just driving a bit to go run some errands and they had on a young women on talking about her experiences at a "SECULAR COLLEGE" (or you know...College to you and me)

Some tidbits
-She was offended that a theology professor claimed that the God of Islam, and the God of Christianity was the same. (uh...this is true?)
-Claimed that the Koran was allowed on campus, and that the bible was not.
-Was offended that a biology teacher asked who "believed in evolution", and during the course of the semester, she and her fellow creationist were "targeted" by him. (it sounded like he was simply trying to explain his POV?)
-Told some type of story about how someone studying to be a doctor wound up transferring to a christian college due to "EVOLUTION" being required belief in a class. Apparently he came back, lawyered up and sued the professor to change his sylabus.
-The hosts started praising this women as a "GREAT CHRISTIAN HERO.", who "SURVIVED DISCRIMINATION. PERSECUTION". They then posed the question as to why anyone would attend a "Secular" college and why not a christian one?. Also apparently (yet again) this was founded as strictly a "CHRISTIAN NATION", and that pretty much atheists/muslims

I do not have the name of this young women or the institute she attended (though it's claimed she was a "Valedictorian at Heritage Christian". I still don't understand how this qualifies as "persecution". As someone who has read up on how people have actually been tortured, put on trial, put in concentration camps over their faith and beliefs? This actually offends me as a human being.

I don't understand these people. I realize one's christian education is kind of sheltered, but I do recall that a lot of people enjoyed reading the the story of Corrie Ten Boom (an AMAZING women, who went through SO MUCH, overcame and forgave), shouldn't they have an idea of how absurd they sound?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well, I mean, if the Bible was banned from campus while the Koran wasn't then I guess that would qualify as legitimate discrimination*.

But I feel confident in assuming that's total bullshit.

*Although obviously not "persecution." As an American Christian I find the American Christian reinterpretation of "persecution" just as offensive and mind blowing as you do. Persecution is getting jailed, killed, enslaved, denied the right to vote, etc, you assholes. Not being told you have to serve gay people and not being able to pick and having to learn about evolution in science class.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 28, 2015

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

-She was offended that a theology professor claimed that the God of Islam, and the God of Christianity was the same. (uh...this is true?)

It's true, though fundamentalists from both faiths tend to either downplay or outright deny it. Both faiths worship the God of Abraham (and so do Jews). Obviously there was a splitting off at some point and I don't know enough to tell you the finer details of that, but the two share a lot of the same stories and ideas. Muslims are even pretty cool with Jesus as a prophet, though they don't regard him as divine/the Son of God.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Coohoolin posted:

I thought British accents were like sorcery for American audiences, even Piers Morgan sounds respectable over there. Besides, I could just run a campaign photoshopping myself into Malcolm Tucker's US scenes from In The Loop and be done with it.

A British accent is great for getting laid, free beer, a job, and generally sounding smart. In politics it would immediately identify you as The Other and more or less disqualify you.

Basically, how do you think a thick, Southern or Texan accent would fly in the British House of Lords?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Basically, how do you think a thick, Southern or Texan accent would fly in the British House of Lords?

I seem to recall the British government genuflecting to a Texas drawl for about 8 years...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, you could probably argue that since Christians believe that Jesus IS God and Muslims just see him as a prophet then they actually do disagree on the nature of God so don't really follow the same guy even if they started at the same place. That is if you define the Christian God as the Holy Trinity.

But by that logic the Jewish God is a different guy too and you won't see that kind of consistency from most of these people.

And then I don't actually think all Christians agree on the Holy Trinity thing so you'd just end up with more Gods divided up if you actually followed such logic consistently instead of just not wanting to believe you have anything in common with the drat Muslims.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Not really though. They have similarities and Muslims certainly feel they are worshipping the same god as Christians and Jews but the Muslim god isn't trinitarian, wasn't born as a man and didn't die for humanity's sins. Those are pretty critical elements of the Christian god. Historically related but the characters are pretty different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I like seeing conservatives saying

"Why won't news talk about him being the possible first Hispanic president"