Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Dr. Valentin Narcisse would be a perfect Venture Bros character. At least make him do the accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

prefect posted:

Shuttlecock (the astronaut with the badminton racquet) is still the greatest character ever to appear. Even better than Tank Top.

I love all of the fake GI Joe's. Slap Chop was odd because he was both a GI Joe and Iron Fist. Bum Rush is hilarious because he's a bum, but an OSI bum.

Would I be wrong in saying that Billy is probably the most competent member of the non-OSI cast? He's been said and shown to be a excellent doctor, actually succeeds in what he sets out to do, and doesn't get brought down by his own insecurities.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Would I be wrong in saying that Billy is probably the most competent member of the non-OSI cast? He's been said and shown to be a excellent doctor, actually succeeds in what he sets out to do, and doesn't get brought down by his own insecurities.

Wrong? No. But, he's not that much better. His aching desire to be a part of the boy adventurer genre often makes him forget the fact that he's a competent super-scientist (of the surgeon category--that's a science!). And, this leads him to do strange things for almost no reason. Walking around New York is fine, but better if you're wearing a ridiculous, homemade costume? For Billy, yes. He uses a crossbow to fire a zip line over to a wall across the way, but he does this mere inches off of the floor, and almost destroys a priceless work of art. Then he almost destroys it again when they decipher the clue! Hell, even getting on the boat in Spanikopita! proved to be more adventuresome than it needed to be: instead of walking down a pier, they paddle a raft up to the part of the pier that the X2 is tied to.

Sooner or later, this over-eagerness will probably get him into trouble.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dr Mrs The Monarch is by far the most competent of all the characters, including the OSI guys.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Not Molotov?

But, yeah, Dr. Mrs. the Monarch/Dr. Girlfriend/Queen Ethereia/Lady Au Pair/Sheila is definitely the most competent of the regular cast.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Killinger is pretty competent, even if he failed to reunite rusty and myra

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Killinger is pretty competent, even if he failed to reunite rusty and myra

Hey, that's on the Oni, not Killinger. He succeeds in his missions.

And you can read more about it in the bible!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Brock and Shore Leave are both highly competent, if you exclude all tasks that are not brutal murder.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dr. Mrs The Monarch is great, but I'm hoping she picks up a new supervillain name in the new season. She's outgrown the name entirely by this point, and it would hurt The Monarch's ego even more as she continues to overtake him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pope Guilty posted:

Brock and Shore Leave are both highly competent, if you exclude all tasks that are not brutal murder.

Brock is markedly more competent the farther and longer away he is from the Venture family, though. He's just less happy.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Dr. Mrs The Monarch is great, but I'm hoping she picks up a new supervillain name in the new season. She's outgrown the name entirely by this point, and it would hurt The Monarch's ego even more as she continues to overtake him.

She could just re-assume the Queen Etherea mantle, only under her own banner.

...and a markedly less invisibly-stained costume.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 28, 2015

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
To the surprise of nobody on this thread, Season 6 is way behind the schedule. :(

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've been hoping for Dr. The Sovereign.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Brock is markedly more competent the farther and longer away he is from the Venture family, though. He's just less happy.
I wonder if that's the reason he's hooked up with Amber Gold (is it just me or was it hinted before that he had a bit of a code about sleeping with women who had husbands or boyfriends?), seeing that she's probably one of the few who wouldn't deride his former family and job?

fspades posted:

To the surprise of nobody on this thread, Season 6 is way behind the schedule. :(
Good think that we didn't know what that schedule actually was :cheeky:

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 28, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

WrathOfBlade posted:

I've been hoping for Dr. The Sovereign.

"Motion for the new Sovereign to not use the same voice modulator as the old Sovereign...her voice comin' outta that thing would sound like Cthulhu talking on a 80's cell phone while taking a wicked push."

"Seconded! And *ugh*, 'push?'"

"Yeah, seriously...thirded, by the way."

*deep voice* "Fine, motion carries. Never liked that fuckin' thing anyway. Also, new Guild edict, any member of the new Council of Thirteen who says 'push' in regards to bowel movements while executing his or her duties will be instantly executed."

"Heh, duties."

"Shut up, honey."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 28, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Not Molotov?

But, yeah, Dr. Mrs. the Monarch/Dr. Girlfriend/Queen Ethereia/Lady Au Pair/Sheila is definitely the most competent of the regular cast.

Both. It's one of those things where TV gender roles...something something etc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, I was talking about Rusty's circle of friends. But yea, Dr Girlfriend is by far the most competent member of the cast.

And i counted Molotov at part of the OSI.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm glad they're doing this with her story and really interested in where it goes. Despite how competent she is, Sheila's whole career has been about being subservient to men, her brief stint as a supervillain was a failure, and it would be great to see her in the driver's seat finally. Even her original name, Dr Girlfriend, and her current name, Dr Mrs The Monarch, define her in terms of her relationship to a man. Having her own identity as she becomes dominant in the guild would be the icing on the cake.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 28, 2015

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Hell, she's so old-fashioned that when she and he Venture bros needed to steal Brock's car to go chase after the Monarch (when they were broken up) she told Hank to drive because she refused to drive men.

She didn't want to drive mad. Not men.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
:negative:

Time to clean out the earwax

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Well, at least news that it's behind schedule is news. Jackson hasn't updated his livejournal in many a moon. So what I take this as is this: they're making progress, some stuff is done, other stuff is getting done, and other stuff is starting to get done.

That's good news. Maybe I see it that way because I'm such a positive guy. I see the toilet as half-full.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Ithaqua posted:

I believe this, but find it super disappointing, because that line always seemed like a great characterization moment for someone who is both a badass take-charge super villain and weirdly invested in her own domestic-1960's-lady style.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

You guys missed the part where he said this wouldn't be the last season! That's worth celebrating too!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It won't be written to be the last season, that doesn't make another one a sure thing.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Ithaqua posted:

That's not what I heard.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

WrathOfBlade posted:

I believe this, but find it super disappointing, because that line always seemed like a great characterization moment for someone who is both a badass take-charge super villain and weirdly invested in her own domestic-1960's-lady style.

I just checked on netflix and the subtitles said "men", but I clearly hear "mad". Who knows. There are scenes later on in the series with her driving the Monarch and the henchmen around, but that doesn't mean anything.

I've also never heard of "not driving men" being a thing, but I've heard numerous times throughout my life that you should never drive mad. So that could be a contributing factor if I'm mishearing.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 28, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't forget though that Dr. Mrs The Monarch though she was all clever against Captain Sunshine and made a weapon to use that actually managed to power him at night.

She's competent, but she still fucks up quite a bit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's not mad. It's I never drive men.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Don't forget though that Dr. Mrs The Monarch though she was all clever against Captain Sunshine and made a weapon to use that actually managed to power him at night.

She's competent, but she still fucks up quite a bit.

Hey now. The Monarch made that gun. His wife... helped.

And it's mad, not men. I think they even commented about this, either in the commentary or at one of the conventions.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Every show needs its "I acquit". Venture Brothers' is "I don't drive men!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There already was the single engine craft.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I got this screenshot from the actual Venture Bros. Season Two DVD: Love never blows up and gets killed.

Combine this with the fact that the word "men" neither contains a short "a" sound nor ends with the "d" sound but the word Dr. Girlfriend says does, and it's pretty obvious: she doesn't drive mad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It won't be written to be the last season, that doesn't make another one a sure thing.

This is true; lots of stuff could derail them between now and them producing two more seasons. Creative differences, contract disputes, the heat death of the universe.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

There already was the single engine craft.

I swear there are two different versions of that scene out there because I know I hear both.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Get their clothes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tripple dukes!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Every show needs its "I acquit". Venture Brothers' is "I don't drive men!"

it's definitely "get their clones"

e;fb by a landslide

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ugh I thought there was a new announcement or something.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

theflyingexecutive posted:

Ugh I thought there was a new announcement or something.

There was an announcement. They're behind schedule. :v:

fspades posted:

Other than that it's just goons being goons. :spergin:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Who cares, they got Kate McKinnon back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

tarlibone posted:

I got this screenshot from the actual Venture Bros. Season Two DVD: Love never blows up and gets killed.

Combine this with the fact that the word "men" neither contains a short "a" sound nor ends with the "d" sound but the word Dr. Girlfriend says does, and it's pretty obvious: she doesn't drive mad.

Yeah I looked at some stuff and I was wrong. Haven't seen it in forever.