Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

By the way, the event in that Ted Cruz photo was hosted by Jack Kimball. Who is Jack Kimball? Well, he's a former NH state GOP chair and he's got some stuff he'd like to share with you.

I had almost forgotten about this, but in 2013 he was alarmed to see a convoy of white trucks driving on a highway in Maine and decided to alert the media to what he assumed (because what else could it have been?) was the UN invading New Hampshire.

Well of course you invade New Hampshire first. That way you bring the nation to it's knees by controlling all the...um...stuff(?) that New Hampshire produces for the rest of the country!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Gyges posted:

Well of course you invade New Hampshire first. That way you bring the nation to it's knees by controlling all the...um...stuff(?) that New Hampshire produces for the rest of the country!

You have to go after all the true freedom fighters so they can't put up a scrappy, Red Dawn-esque resistance

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

You have to go after all the true freedom fighters so they can't put up a scrappy, Red Dawn-esque resistance
New Hampshire's motto isn't Live Free or Die for nothin.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Please ... PLEASE :pray:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/25/gov-snyder-dc-talk-military-issues/70438024/

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

What is this, the year of the bland midwestern GOP governors? You've got Walker, possibly Kasich, and now maybe even Snyder? Just have Branstad run, and you'd have them all (except for Rauner, I guess).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Speaking of, how would Branstad pulling a Harkin and winning Iowa with no chance at anything else gently caress up the GOP primary? Who would it impact the most? Obviously Huck if he runs.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gygaxian posted:

What is this, the year of the bland midwestern GOP governors? You've got Walker, possibly Kasich, and now maybe even Snyder? Just have Branstad run, and you'd have them all (except for Rauner, I guess).
Michigan would pay good money for him to go, I bet.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gygaxian posted:

and Pence!

Aliquid posted:

Speaking of, how would Branstad pulling a Harkin and winning Iowa with no chance at anything else gently caress up the GOP primary? Who would it impact the most? Obviously Huck if he runs.

Any of the socons whose plan to win is
1. Win Iowa
2. Skip New Hampshire
3. Win South Carolina
4. ???
5. Nomination!

So Cruz, Santorum, Carson, Perry, Paul to some extent.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Oh of course Perry, how could I forget. He's actually running a respectable retail campaign there, and in 2012 even won some of the more rural counties.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

So Cruz, Santorum, Carson, Perry, Paul to some extent.

Paul's actually polling third in NH according to the latest poll. Cruz is in fifth, but that's still a joke because #4 is Donald Trump. Perry's currently polling even with Bobby Jindal.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

What is it with *young* Republicans and constantly talking about obsessively working out while also being a 160 pound stick figure dork?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

^^^^^^^ Fun fact! The dude who produced this 2014 campaign ad is the same who produced the Pete Hoekstra Debbiespenditnow superbowl ad in 2012 and included this amazing gem of a gif.

The only thing missing now is the weird, out of place easy listening jazz saxophone music.

Gygaxian posted:

Oh no, even Branstad looks compromised. When revealed he owns a Blackberry, Branstad insisted he doesn't even have an email address, he's never sent or received an email ever.

http://www.kcci.com/news/branstad-answers-questions-about-his-blackberry-email-use/32033370

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 28, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is from the article on not rich enough fundraisers Meg posted earlier, and I think this paragraph needs to stand alone:

quote:

But there is a palpable angst among mid-level fundraisers and donors that their rank has been permanently downgraded. One longtime bundler recently fielded a call from a dispirited executive on his yacht, who complained, “We just don’t count anymore.”

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think I get high off of presidential elections because the alternative, crushing depression, is just too much like every day politics.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shageletic posted:

This is from the article on not rich enough fundraisers Meg posted earlier, and I think this paragraph needs to stand alone:

Lifestyles of the Rich But Not Quite Rich Enough

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The struggles of the 2-5%

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Tonk posted:

Lifestyles of the Rich But Not Quite Rich Enough

It really is pretty drat scary when the politicians are not even listening to these guys though.

edit: most of these not wealthy enough guys are the people who run for mayor or city council in our communities. at least when their money mattered, so do the local issues they cared about.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 28, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

The struggles of the 2-5%

The 2% don't have a yacht. This is strictly a 0.1% vs 0.01% problem.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Pinterest Mom posted:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/widening-gap-between-rich-and-superrich-threatenin,1688/

From 1996 if you'd believe that.

http://www.theonion.com/video/in-the-know-are-americas-rich-falling-behind-the-s,14165/

Loel fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 28, 2015

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

^^^^^^^ Fun fact! The dude who produced this 2014 campaign ad is the same who produced the Pete Hoekstra Debbiespenditnow superbowl ad in 2012 and included this amazing gem of a gif.

The only thing missing now is the weird, out of place easy listening jazz saxophone music.

Oh no, even Branstad looks compromised. When revealed he owns a Blackberry, Branstad insisted he doesn't even have an email address, he's never sent or received an email ever.

http://www.kcci.com/news/branstad-answers-questions-about-his-blackberry-email-use/32033370

I saw that guy give a talk on political marketing. He was awful.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Was gonna post exactly this. I can assure you that I can't afford a yacht, just a smallish cabin cruiser.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

oldswitcheroo posted:

I saw that guy give a talk on political marketing. He was awful.

I can't stand listening to him talk. He has less than zero public speaking skills. He needs hours of coaching to do short advertising spots, and listening to him for any length of time is painful.

quote:

https://youtu.be/Hoa2mXmgi2I

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah top 5% income is like 100k? Something like that. Still pretty well off compared to most americans, but not nearly in the level of influential political bundler.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rubio is going to officially announce on April 13, a week after Rand's announcement.

Also, I updated the OP.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I believe that is what they tell you.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Joementum posted:

Also, I updated the OP.

It is a good OP. I particularly like how CNN didn't take Lindsey Graham seriously enough to include him in their 11-minute video parody about the number of implausible candidates.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Rubio is going to officially announce on April 13, a week after Rand's announcement.

Also, I updated the OP.

So is he also keeping his word and declaring his decision not to run for re-election as Florida's jr Senator on April 13?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kellsterik posted:

I believe that is what they tell you.

I'm an eagle scout, and knew several others. It doesn't prepare you for poo poo.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Mother Jones has a piece on Jeb the Manatee.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scott Walker's qualifications to be president:

- Eagle Scout
- Really loving hates unions

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Worked for Reagan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DaveWoo posted:

Scott Walker's qualifications to be president:

- Eagle Scout

- Faced union protestors who are just like ISIS.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I can't stand listening to him talk. He has less than zero public speaking skills. He needs hours of coaching to do short advertising spots, and listening to him for any length of time is painful.

As someone who does a good bit of door knocking come election time, I really wanted to punch him when he talked about how his ad spots had won elections.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

OctoberBlues posted:

Ted Cruz seems to have a very wide head from front to back...

I remember when Romney ran, a lot of us comic geeks here compared him to The Smiler from the Transmetropilitan comics.

I take it back; Cruz is The Smiler. At any moment, Cruz looks like he's going to become Large Marge while shrieking at Paul Reubens in a truck.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Gygaxian posted:

Bland midwestern GOP Governors with presidential aspirations? I know he's been out of office for the better part of a decade, but I think you're forgetting best in class.

Tim Pawlenty. And in all seriousness, he kind of terrifies me a little as a GOP option. Thoroughly vetted and at one point the establishment choice for VP (08), who has gone a good decade without saying anything terribly embarrassing in public on political issues or during his own campaign (I think? I don't know. I can only sit through about three minutes of his appearances before I doze off) and seems to be the only one with the potential to unite the populist, religious and financial wings of the GOP.

Populist-Son of a Widower (The Good Kind Of Single Parent) grew up lower-middle class, first in his family to college, and then to law (both at his public state university! Not one of these Ivy League Schools like those elitists Cruz and Obama and Hillary or even spendy private universities like Rand or Walker). He's like Obama to the white lower/middle/upper-but-not1% class! He's also in favor of a minimum wage hike-which he someone managed to espouse without being fired from his job (below). Also manages to discuss populism without coming off as incredibly racist. Which the GOP has struggled with. Bleugh People indeed.

Religious- No big deal. Converted from Catholicism to being an evangelical with the help of his personal pastor.... who happens to be the head of one of the nation's largest evangelical church organizations. I'm sure every GOP candidate has similar ties to a group. A group that totally didn't feel slighted by a ticket last year that was comprised of a Mormon and an Objectivist.

Financial-Executive Experience, Corporate? Yup. Executive Experience, Political? Yup. Serving as CEO of a lobbying group whose rotating board has included essentially every C-level staffer from the Insurance, Credit and Financial Services industry during his tenure? Yup. Didn't get fired or rebuked for advocating a minimum wage increase? Indeed (Giving rise to my theory that the $ of the GOP would gladly trade Tax Cuts/CapGains reform for minimum wage, and the Dems wouldn't blink before signing it).

He's thoroughly lacking in charisma, which was what was blamed for his quick exit in 2012 (rather than inexperience, a lack of organization and a complete lack of funding)... but the deep pockets of his recent business partners could fund a cannily managed campaign in which his dullness is a part of the virtuous package as he runs himself as the "Sam's Club Republican against the Country Club Republicans". If Jeb hiccups or Walker implodes before things get going too heavily, he's about the most appealing establishment draftee who could still win over the Tea Party. What people thought Perry was in 2012, just without the opiates and baggage.

And I'm now officially a leftie getting my Arzy on about the General while Arkaneing for this cycle's Huntsman. Woo.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
On the other hand, nobody cares about Tim Pawlenty.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I strongly urge you to not spend another second being terrified of a potential Tim Pawlenty run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
You can't buy charisma. See also: Willard "Mitt" Romney.

• Locked thread