Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Denzine to the rescue with my counterpoint.

It doesn't break anything. It looks stupendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Was that directed at me? Because I was agreeing with you; it breaks nothing, but dumb pubbies and :qq: lore authenticity :qq:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Lorewise the suit shouldn't even loving exist since it has been like 5000 years since its creation.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Was that directed at me? Because I was agreeing with you; it breaks nothing, but dumb pubbies and :qq: lore authenticity :qq:

Nah, Denzine responded to Kyte and I was concurring.

Say... Kyte, who are you ingame anyway? I have absolutely no idea.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Lorewise the suit shouldn't even loving exist since it has been like 5000 years since its creation.

I thought it was closer to tens of thousands of years if not millions? And if the Warframes can survive just fine in cryo, I see no reason why Hayden's suit couldn't have been preserved in a vault by the 'cold and gold emperors' who made the Tenno.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Denzine posted:

breaks it wide open

Yes bugs involve broken systems by definition.

Although I'm rereading my post and I'm not entirely sure of what exactly was I thinking about so :shrug:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Naturally Selected posted:

Yes, yes, yes, everyone should use the supra because fun etc. Did you miss the guy asking for good weapon choices?
What makes the Supra not fun is not even the damage as much as the slow reload times and projectile leading you need to do to be effective on top of the bad damage. I've tried, I was hoping to make it a bit under Boltor Prime level in effectiveness for a few Forma. It will not get there without DE changing it or needing Boltor Prime. Syndicate procs hardly make up for the weapon when you can hardly drat shooting anything in the first place with it. They make already-good weapons far better than they would help mediocre ones.

Syndicate mods are government hand-outs, stop supporting them on the basis of trying to get DE to admit players sunk non-trivial resources for bad weapons (I had to use Fieldron before we had those invasions and when Fieldron required forma to build for my Supra).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Naturally Selected posted:

Good non-primes: Kohm, Boltor, Paris/Dread if you like bows. Soma is pretty decent but needs good shot placement. You can probably ask in clan for burston/braton/paris prime bits and get them. The double revolvers are, unfortunately, pretty crappy. Boltos/Akboltos are pretty nice, though.

There's comedy options like the Opticor (which is one of the best PBR'ed guns in the game) and the Amprex, but they both need a ton of forma to be good.

I would disagree that either the AkVasto or AkMagnus are bad, they're pretty fun guns and very useable even without forma (though a potato is alway neccesary for anything to really shine).

I've been getting a bit lazy with my secondary choice recently, but I love taking out both and going wild west on some fools with either pair of weapons, depending on what sound I'd like to hear.

Also I hate the Boltos. There, I said it. But that's like my opinion, man.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Does anyone happen to have a Prime Continuity spare that they're willing to sell for plat, or trade some stuff for? My ingame name is Waffleface.

Also - Chat server seems to be down

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Fishstick posted:

Does anyone happen to have a Prime Continuity spare that they're willing to sell for plat, or trade some stuff for? My ingame name is Waffleface.

Also - Chat server seems to be down

yeah I've got a prime cont I'll let go for the 50 plat I need for the rasta dreads for nekros.

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013
If you haven't used it yet the VoidCrystal promo code still gives you a 3 day booster for xp and credits.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Bear in the Woods posted:

If you haven't used it yet the VoidCrystal promo code still gives you a 3 day booster for xp and credits.

Just tried it, works fine. You don't need to buy plat, just redeem the promo code. If you did it right, it gives you no message and applies the 3-day xp/cred booster. If you already had boosters, it just adds to the duration.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Was anybody still selling plat at CRAAAAAAAAZY prices?

b00n
May 8, 2007
Warframe didnt feel like loading correctly, so I saw something that looks halfway between an archwing and Mag.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

b00n posted:

Warframe didnt feel like loading correctly, so I saw something that looks halfway between an archwing and Mag.

I couldn't kill fast enough so I took my jetpack with me

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Nalesh posted:

this is less than 5 min of thinking of how to rework him to be fun.

Radial javelin: full rework, to make it more DarkSectorish, 1-4(depending on ability level) homing glaives are thrown, strength affects damage, range affects bounce range, duration affects number of bounces, if you have a throwing weapon equipped, the glaives take the crit chance/damage and element/status chance of the glaives

This was rightly ignored, but I just wanted to point out that you've managed to make Excalibur's ult arguably even worse than it is now. Pure damage does not scale well at all, even DE has started to recognize this (though Mesa is an odd exception), and even if it can't hit anything right now, the current ultimate at least stuns things for a good bit of time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

EroticBlacksmith posted:

(though Mesa is an odd exception)

I dunno, it seems that it might just be that her damage is so high that it doesn't have scaling issues.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

hooah posted:

I dunno, it seems that it might just be that her damage is so high that it doesn't have scaling issues.

Her damage is in a nice place, in that it has the same scaling issues as top-tier guns do. Having 95% damage reduction doesn't hurt either. That said, I wouldn't bring a Mesa to the raid or a 60 minute T4 survival.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

b00n posted:

Hah so that's what you were going on about. Yeah that's... weird as hell.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

hooah posted:

Mesa's damage also scales well over waves, since she doesn't have to wait for them to bunch, or for bubbles to pop. Much more energy efficient. She also picks off anything that wanders out of a bubble, while not having to leave her Limbo's Safe Space.

Nalesh posted:

this is less than 5 min of thinking of how to rework him to be fun.

Slash dash: Pretty much the same, if you have a melee weapon out you do a finisher on the last enemy you hit

Just counterhit stagger the last guy, locking you into a finisher would get you killed. Or give Excalibur custom finisher animations with his ethereal Skana that don't take forever :argh:

Your Super Jump idea is cool, though. Except they gave it to Zephyr in Tail Wind and Divebomb, just like how that Radial Blind change is Oberon's Reckoning. Everything cool and good that could've been changed about Excalibur's powers went to another frame. I don't mind that, since those frames are neat, but holy gently caress does Excalibur need a total rework.

I'd do something like-
- Slash Dash: Same, guaranteed Slash proc, counterhit stagger the last guy.
- Radial Blind: Same LoS blind effect, non-LoS bleed amplification, dealing the total damage in a chunk.
- Super Jump: Toggle, Archwing-style melee lunging. Combo counter gets a multiplier to points gained per hit, affected by power strength. Augment for channeling efficiency during it, I guess.
- Radial Javelin: Don't even loving bother, since DE can't balance radials for poo poo. Just cut the recovery frames like before and call it a day. Hell, give it a 100% status chance, why not - nothing's going to make Javelin fit well into the game that DE wants.

Ash might be their designated bleed/slash frame, but whatever, he needs some changes too.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

randombattle posted:

Counter point : nothing comes close to mattering enough that make having the "best" weapons a necessity. Use whatever you think is cool and you'll have more fun than if you only use the best weapons.

Yes, this. Play with a gun or frame, see if you like how it handles, and if you see it has potential, invest in / "master" it and don't let conventional groupthink by bitter vets turn you off. Coming up with new combos or fun ways to use something is one of the strengths of this game.

Although many of my recommendations are a result of trying out stuff that requires or utilizes more dynamic gameplay (which is the type of gameplay I find "fun"), I again want to stress that my recommendations aren't "because I think X is fun." I know that whenever I make a suggestion that runs contrary to opinion that's been extolled numerous times by maladjusteds, it's going to result in blowback. So I don't make these suggestions without a ton of play testing and being able to back up whatever I'm claiming. I know that if I get into a group with a Mesa running a Kohm (or whatever) in a 30+ minute survival, and I don't put out equivalent or superior numbers when running my "garbage," I run the risk of someone with a chip on their shoulder using that experience to reaffirm their prideful preconceived notions (about a freaking video game) and acting how you would expect someone like that to act.

Also, +50% RELOAD SPEED is really good on some weapons. Over an extended period of time, it can translate into a separate 33% multiplicative damage bonus (or even more, depending) and it has a subtle benefit of increasing your survivability. To put this relatable terms, imagine a mod that said +66% DAMAGE, you will also take less damage. So it's like Magnum Force but without loving your accuracy.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Dahbadu posted:

Also, +50% RELOAD SPEED is really good on some weapons.

Primed Fast Hands is also allowed in PvP :getin:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Except Mesa's aren't that great in survivals. Why not compare it to a nekros in an exterminate, if you're going to make idiotic assertions? Compare it to a good loki/soma or a mirage/soma or kohm, then get back to me.

Hint: 90% of your reccomendations are garbage because you're using made-up metrics and/or playing with poo poo players.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 28, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dahbadu posted:

+50% RELOAD SPEED is really good on some weapons. Over an extended period of time, it can translate into a separate 33% multiplicative damage bonus (or even more, depending) and it has a subtle benefit of increasing your survivability. To put this relatable terms, imagine a mod that said +66% DAMAGE, you will also take less damage. So it's like Magnum Force but without loving your accuracy.
It's significantly less of a damage bonus because warframe uses reload_time / (1 + bonus_reload_speed), and then you have to do an equation like [t_shooting / (t_shooting + t_reload)] * rawdps to get actual impact on damage output.

If you use primed fast hands on a weapon that spends 50% of its time reloading you only gain a 20% multiplier. It gets significantly worse for practical examples unless you're using a sniper or something.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 28, 2015

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I always thought that zephyr's jump/crash should have been one button.

Press 1 on ground to soar up
Press 1 in air to dive

Then give her a wind knock back or something. And let it transfer status. So if you shoot a guy and proc slash, you press 2 and she does a Hulk clap move that slides them back and transfers slash to mobs behind the initial target.

But I'm not into game development so...

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
But then zephyr wouldn't be able to get through the entire map without touching the ground. Divebomb kinda sucks, but being able to fly into a copter into another flight is loving amazing.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

randombattle posted:

Counter point : nothing comes close to mattering enough that make having the "best" weapons a necessity. Use whatever you think is cool and you'll have more fun than if you only use the best weapons.

What matters is having a certain minimum level of effectiveness for the content you're going into, and in my opinion that means having around 10k sustained DPS to do t4s to 40m(though you'll go no further than that, and 35->40 will be a little dicey). This is ignoring frame abilities and other situational force multipliers.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Khorne posted:

It's significantly less of a damage bonus because warframe uses reload_time / (1 + bonus_reload_speed), and then you have to do an equation like [t_shooting / (t_shooting + t_reload)] * rawdps to get actual impact on damage output.

If you use primed fast hands on a weapon that spends 50% of its time reloading you only gain a 20% multiplier. It gets significantly worse for practical examples unless you're using a sniper or something.

I guess a 20% multiplier is better than the 8.75% multiplier you initially came up with. Although there is some truth to your revised expression (your original one was way off), there are so many factors involved, that something like reload speed and how it affects your overall performance is hard to quantify with a mathematical expression. I only quantified it above as a generalization to give people an idea of the mod's potential. What I do find interesting is that even your "in a vacuum" expression meant to diminish the mod's potential almost has the opposite effect. Image a mod that said +40% DAMAGE, you will also take less damage -- still sounds pretty rad, huh?

And this all goes back to something I said weeks ago -- don't get stuck up on on-sheet DPS (which I consider a perfect example of "math in a vacuum"). Test things out and instead pay more attention to the results at the end of the mission. Combine those results with your gameplay experience. Are your damage/kill counts higher on the results with the modification? Did you feel safer during the mission? Did you like how the modification changed the handling of the weapon/frame? If so, then use it!

Edit:

But don't listen to me. I have :downs:, and I never group with people running optimized "top tier" frames/weapons. Because, ya know, goons running optimized builds for "top tier" frames/weapons are so rare to find in 40 minute T3/4 survivals. Also, the people I group with are poo poo players.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 28, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The effect of reload speed is super easy to quantify, man. You just replace [Reload Speed] in the sustained DPS number and change it to [Reload Speed / [1 + Reload Bonus]] and compare the two.

This is particularly significant in full-auto or continuous weapons, where you get better ammo efficiency (and therefore uptime) from upping your DPS and using shorter bursts of fire than reducing reload or increasing clip size.

It's why I keep telling people: If they wanna run Amprex skip the ammo mutations, clip size or reload bonuses and just max out that DPS, you'll get way better bang for your buck. (I mention Amprex 'cause it's my favorite weapon so I use it a lot)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 29, 2015

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Kyte posted:

You just replace [Reload Speed] in the sustained DPS number and change it to [Reload Speed / [1 + Reload Bonus]] and compare the two.

I'll let you figure out what you did here.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Dahbadu posted:

I'll let you figure out what you did here.

You are the least helpful and most smug rear end in a top hat here.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

djw175 posted:

You are the least helpful and most smug rear end in a top hat here.

To be fair, it's really hard to be helpful when you're arguing that the earth is flat.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I agree with Dahbadu that there's more that matters than just looking at the raw numbers in a vacuum.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010
I can see Supra working thanks to the syndicate mod's proc, and I'm not gonna argue anything about melee because I don't ever switch to my melee weapon, but I still can't see how Ember could ever potentially be top-tier.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm in my friends clan, just a few of us to stay in touch, but they're not around this weekend, any goons want to hook up?

edit: same name ingame.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 29, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Hotfix fuckin' with Effigy's credit boosting. RIP, 140k credit rewards every 2 minutes.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
My booster doesn't seem to be stacking with the double-credit weekend anymore.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Male Man posted:

My booster doesn't seem to be stacking with the double-credit weekend anymore.

No! NO! NO! WHY DE WHY!?

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hotfix fuckin' with Effigy's credit boosting. RIP, 140k credit rewards every 2 minutes.

As we were in one, too. Oh well. Back to the void I guess.

Wait I thought they were trying to get us out of the void?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
And now my booster's stacking again. :iiam: