Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

Could someone check me on meal planning?

My husband and I are hoping to cover 37 somewhat strenuous miles over 4 days. We are planning basically to have oatmeal for breakfast, peanut butter and rolls for lunch, GORP to snack on, and TVP+rice tacos for dinner. This comes out to 2,713 calories / 377g carbs / 108g fat / 89g protein. I'm 140lbs, 5'6", female, 26yo. He's 190lbs, 6'1", male, also 26. I was thinking he might either get double portions of the GORP or bring along whatever meat/dairy products he may want to eat that I don't eat, either way aiming for an extra 4-500 calories to account for him being bigger than me.

Is this reasonable? Too much, too little?

edit: uhhh I feel bad opening a new page with this dumb question, here have the view from Murphy's Knob at Hanging Rock Park, NC this past weekend:

T. J. Eckleburg fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Successful permit for Mt. Whitney overnight on Saturday July 4th. Gonna camp at the Outpost Camp and assess from there. Excited.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

Could someone check me on meal planning?

My husband and I are hoping to cover 37 somewhat strenuous miles over 4 days. We are planning basically to have oatmeal for breakfast, peanut butter and rolls for lunch, GORP to snack on, and TVP+rice tacos for dinner. This comes out to 2,713 calories / 377g carbs / 108g fat / 89g protein. I'm 140lbs, 5'6", female, 26yo. He's 190lbs, 6'1", male, also 26. I was thinking he might either get double portions of the GORP or bring along whatever meat/dairy products he may want to eat that I don't eat, either way aiming for an extra 4-500 calories to account for him being bigger than me.

Is this reasonable? Too much, too little?

edit: uhhh I feel bad opening a new page with this dumb question, here have the view from Murphy's Knob at Hanging Rock Park, NC this past weekend:

You're probably okay but on the low end, throw a snickers or some cheese sticks/seeds/nuts if you get hungrier than expected. He's going to be running light, and should probably add a significant number of calories (maybe to 3500ish?) In the same form. Everyone's different, but 3000 calories seems like a bare minimum.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

bunnielab posted:

For a more serious question, I am looking for an air pump. My friend and I want to do some "hike in, tube out" trips this summer and our general idea is to hike X miles up a river, pump up the tubes, and float home. I'm looking for a pump that is small, light, but still moves a decent volume of air. Bonus points for one that is cheap enough that I can just stash it under a train bridge for the season. The first river I have in mind is supposedly great for trout and I could see myself going back for solo fishing trips.

I'd either look at frame-mounted bicycle pumps, or something from one of the sleeping pad manufacturers. I think Exped still makes separate pumps?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I had a similar idea a few years ago and used a little bike pump to inflate your normal black heavy duty ski/snow innertubes. What a bad idea. It took me at least an hour to get that thing properly inflated. I would consider either a bigger bike pump, or maybe slightly inflating them as much as is reasonable and then finishing them off at your destination. I cannot overstate enough just how much it sucked to sit there and use that stupid little hand pump. I think I used a Topeak model that came as part of an emergency bike kit.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Here is some more information about how bears have no morals and want your lunch. Source is Gizmodo, so, take that as you will, but it's still pretty entertaining.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I had a similar idea a few years ago and used a little bike pump to inflate your normal black heavy duty ski/snow innertubes. What a bad idea. It took me at least an hour to get that thing properly inflated. I would consider either a bigger bike pump, or maybe slightly inflating them as much as is reasonable and then finishing them off at your destination. I cannot overstate enough just how much it sucked to sit there and use that stupid little hand pump. I think I used a Topeak model that came as part of an emergency bike kit.

Yeah, that was the fear. We figured that pumping time could be made more pleasant by wine but I think after two hours it would get old. I don't mind packing in a larger pump, stashing it, then packing it out in the fall but I would want something nice enough to survive exposure but cheap enough that if someone steals it I will not be too sad. Well, not too sad having just hiked 5 miles to discover the tubing trip is a bust.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
Use a CO2 canister instead. Just figure out what size you need and what kind of adaptors you'll need to use. I can't imagine you'll need more than a soda bottle size canister.

EDIT: You could also try one of those plastic pumps for packrafts, which would be bulky but not too heavy, or one of the ol' trash bag pumps

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 25, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A friend of mine went scrambling on the weekend. This is a pic from his trip. I haven't been out there during the day recently so I had no idea how little snow there actually was this year! I'd heard the snowpack was low but wasn't expecting this. Then again, we've had a creepily warm winter this year so I suppose it's not that surprising.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

Discomancer posted:

You're probably okay but on the low end, throw a snickers or some cheese sticks/seeds/nuts if you get hungrier than expected. He's going to be running light, and should probably add a significant number of calories (maybe to 3500ish?) In the same form. Everyone's different, but 3000 calories seems like a bare minimum.

Ok, thanks for the advice! I'll bring some more food. Probably more nuts/seeds and maybe I'll make some bars.

It's tough enough to estimate for myself, but I really don't have a feel for what a person 50lbs bigger than me eats. At first I thought maybe it should be proportional, like if I eat 3000 he should eat (190/140)*3000=~4100, but that seems crazy high. 3500 seems like a good target. Of course he is no use. He's just like "I'll eat whatever you get for me!" since I normally do the cooking at home. :sigh:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It's tough to eat more than 3500 calories worth of trail food, I think that'd be a safe estimate for you to bring for him. 3500 calories worth of non-trail food is easy but a guy can only eat so many nuts before they are completely unappetizing.

I've probably said this before itt but crushed Pringles are the best thing ever. Calorie dense, never go bad, you can eat an infinite amount of them in a sitting, they come in a variety of flavors and they're always appetizing. When I was on the JMT, it was hard to get enough calories because the food I brought would fill me up with less calories than I was burning (except for the nuts which I could barely stomach after a few days and, obviously, the Pringles).

Since it's only 4 days, you'd be fine at 3000 but might as well bring 3500 and give yourself some wiggle-room and possibly more variety. It's hard to know what you're going to be craving after a few days on the trail.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I found spreading out meals to help somewhat, even like eating "2" dinners (half when I stopped for the day and then the rest before bed, though that was partly because of how the food was packed between me and my wife). I think the only time I felt like "I'm full and can't eat more" was with the dinner made from stuffing...don't use stuffing, it takes up a lot of room and is a large volume to eat for the amount of calories it provides.

Basically after awhile I never really felt full or hungry but trying to cram down a lot of food at once is tough.

For 4 days you might not really reach that point if you have some variety though.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Can anyone recommend a sleeping pad for someone who is both heavy(210lbs), and has wide shoulders? Im not a big fan of air pads, as they take a long time to inflated/deflate..

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DholmbladRU posted:

Can anyone recommend a sleeping pad for someone who is both heavy(210lbs), and has wide shoulders? Im not a big fan of air pads, as they take a long time to inflated/deflate..

I'm 6'0 and 178. But I got some severe back problems, so I go for the biggest widest most cushioning sleeping pad I can get.

Your right, it can be slow to inflate but you at least want one of those pumps they make if your gonna use it a lot. The Big Agnes Insulatef Q Core SL in the Long/Wide variety gets my full endorsement. 5-10 minutes of extra work each time I pack out or in for a good nights sleep is worth it to me though.. HYOH and what have you. There's all kinds ultralight pumps to make inflating easier. And deflation ain't so bad.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

A friend of mine went scrambling on the weekend. This is a pic from his trip. I haven't been out there during the day recently so I had no idea how little snow there actually was this year! I'd heard the snowpack was low but wasn't expecting this. Then again, we've had a creepily warm winter this year so I suppose it's not that surprising.

My god, this is incredible. How long does it take to reach the peak of one of those?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

DholmbladRU posted:

I was originally against air pads because I thought they would pop easily. Unfortunately I'm a side sleeper so closed cell pads made my shoulders and hips sore in the morning. Self inflating pads (air & foam combo) were much better but they still needed to be inflated so that you wouldn't touch the ground. Mine didn't have much insulation so it got really cold when the temps went below freezing.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

The Big Agnes Insulated Q Core SL in the Long/Wide variety gets my full endorsement.

I went to this instead and its been a game changer. I was leery of inflated pads at first but I really enjoy it now. It doesn't take too long to pump up or deflate and it takes as much room as my self inflating - just slightly larger than a nalgene while being better insulated and offering way more comfort.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Got my new ULA circuit and SMD lunar duo in the mail, only waiting for the zPack bags and I will be prepared for the Colorado trail this summer.

As soon as the bags get here we are headed to wild basin for some test camping.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

I'm 6'0 and 178. But I got some severe back problems, so I go for the biggest widest most cushioning sleeping pad I can get.

Your right, it can be slow to inflate but you at least want one of those pumps they make if your gonna use it a lot. The Big Agnes Insulatef Q Core SL in the Long/Wide variety gets my full endorsement. 5-10 minutes of extra work each time I pack out or in for a good nights sleep is worth it to me though.. HYOH and what have you. There's all kinds ultralight pumps to make inflating easier. And deflation ain't so bad.

I filled up a q core sl by myself and it took a lonngggg time. I cant imagine doing that everyday on a thruhike. For a weekend trip it may be okay.

How long have you been using the pad for?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Colonel J posted:

My god, this is incredible. How long does it take to reach the peak of one of those?

2-4 hours, I would say. Depends on skill, route, and conditions. These peaks aren't really that big even though they look impressive. Here's a picture I took of Mt. Baldy while on a trip, it's 800m (2600') vertical and I did that one in under 3 hours at night.

Actually, the one my friend did, Mary Barclay Mountain, is the one kind of in the foreground of my pic.

Mt. Kidd, which is in the background of my friends pic, is taller and harder, so it has a suggested round trip time of 5-9 hours. 5 hours if it's early season and you can kick-step up snow, 9 hours if you have to slog up loose scree in summer because it's steep and crumbly.

The one in the foreground is Wasootch Peak, unofficially named and better known as GR334455, which is little more than a steep hike. My brother-in-law has been up a couple times, once while heading up the wrong drainage and it took him 3 hours.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Ropes4u posted:

Got my new ULA circuit and SMD lunar duo in the mail, only waiting for the zPack bags and I will be prepared for the Colorado trail this summer.

As soon as the bags get here we are headed to wild basin for some test camping.

Nice! We'll be continuing to section-hike the CT this year.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

Nice! We'll be continuing to section-hike the CT this year.

Have you hikes the upper sections from Denver towards Durango?

Anything we should know that's not in the guide book?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Yes, we're working our way West from Denver, over time. Nothing notable to report, other than Waterton Canyon has too many people. :)

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
When we go camping we just throw down a space blanket on the floor of the tent and put our sleeping bags on top of it. Much more compact than two sleeping pads and after hiking all day it's not too hard to fall asleep on the ground. It was warm enough for us to be comfortable way up in the mountains. After two or so weeks it gets some wear spots but it's cheap to replace.

One of these things...

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
And I thought neoair xlites were crinkly.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Saint Fu posted:

And I thought neoair xlites were crinkly.

Yeah it's not exactly quiet when you lay it out and it crinkles if you thrash around on it, but it barely takes up any space and kept us warm enough. If it's a nice night we don't sleep on anything. Maybe it's weird but I kind of like feeling the ground.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

DholmbladRU posted:

I filled up a q core sl by myself and it took a lonngggg time. I cant imagine doing that everyday on a thruhike. For a weekend trip it may be okay.

How long have you been using the pad for?

Not to long at all. I have a basic thermarest closed cell backup as well, since I have one of those camp chairs that are basically covers for sleeping pads with latches and straps that make a very nice chair to sit in. Weighs very little and if I'm not feeling inflating the pad one evening I just lay my camp chair flat and sleep on that. :shrug:

I did originally get the big Agnes brand pump to speed things up, since I knew it would work with the pad at a minimum bought sight unseen, It was alright, but I found a larger implementation of their stuff sack pump solution that works MUCH better. Essentially the pumps are just nysil stuff sacks with an opening acting as an output at the bottom with a pull cord to tighten the output around the airpads fill valve. They all work the same as any stuff sack.. Fold it 2-3 times down then clip the clips together. Squeeze for output.

The big Agnes one is essentially a 5l version.. I found a 40L version that fills the wide/long Qcore super duper quickly. I think the one I'm using was made for ultralight pack rafts or some poo poo, but works perfectly here in this as well.

Like I said, I got a poo poo back so I'm traveling with a super light chair and an inflating sleep pad. They're light as poo poo however, honestly. The closed cell pad/chair combo lashes to my pack and weighs as much as a closed cell pad, and a nylon twin sheet and some nylon webbing. I.E. Very little.

I'll at least be sitting comfortably in that dumb chair while inflating my stupid air pad though :)

I also bucked up and upgraded from that Eureka Solitaire! To the MSR Hubba NX one person tent. I needed much faster setup times, and that goddamn solitaire was claustrophobic ontop of taking more effort than I like to setup, and being questionable in severe weather according to reviews.. My trail partner SB's tent us setup and good to go in 10 seconds. Jealous of poo poo if that. And the price. Not jealous of the weight though. That dude is a pack mule.

We'll see how it goes. I'm positive some poo poo is getting changed or chucked along the way of AT 2015, I just hope I didn't completely biff my gear load out.

With the wife fully on board doing the meal dehydrating thing and ensuring I eat well on the trail with re supplies I'm officially excited. Eating junk food or super processed food for 5-6 months wasnt high on my "Yay!" List.

Update: We start in the upcoming days. I Hope to see any fellow goons hiking along the AT and say hi. Look for the odd couple and their border collie. We'll be obvious.

You'll be able to spot us easily. I'm Shim by the way, since OMG LOL PTSD PBUH might be a bit lengthy.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 27, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Anyone know much about canoeing trips within a six hour drive of Chicago? Thinking about a combo canoe and fishing trip in upper Wisconsin. Any further away and we might as well fly to salt lake or Denver and do something grander.

Wolf River is super nice, so is the lower Wisconsin. There's a lot of outfitters if you need em from Portage down to Prairie du Chien. Also no dams. You can paddle for ages, park on a sand bar to camp, get up in the morning, and keep paddling.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Koivunen posted:

Yeah it's not exactly quiet when you lay it out and it crinkles if you thrash around on it, but it barely takes up any space and kept us warm enough. If it's a nice night we don't sleep on anything. Maybe it's weird but I kind of like feeling the ground.

I don't find that weird at all, one of my best camping trips was on sand. What kind of night time temperatures are you looking at, though?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I'm going to Zion for 5 days tomorrow. I'm so excited! Pictures on Thursday.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Noah posted:

Sweet dude, Utah and Zion are on my list for next summer. Can't wait to see the pictures.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

atomicgeek posted:

Here is some more information about how bears have no morals and want your lunch. Source is Gizmodo, so, take that as you will, but it's still pretty entertaining.

Gizmodo Article posted:

... by examining the marks on a successfully opened canister, it was determined [the bear] used her canines to poke the canister tabs. Is that ability unique? "I don't think she's smarter than most bears," Ben Tabor, a wildlife technician who tracked Yellow-Yellow told The New York Times

Ben really blew a great opportunity there.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Picnic Princess posted:

I don't find that weird at all, one of my best camping trips was on sand. What kind of night time temperatures are you looking at, though?

That sounds really nice. I'd guess the coldest we've had it was probably in the upper 30s, cold enough to put on all our clothing and need a hat when we slept but not quite freezing temp. That was a little chilly but our sleeping bags were probably more of a problem, we haven't splurged to buy not-super-cheap ones yet.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Koivunen posted:

That sounds really nice. I'd guess the coldest we've had it was probably in the upper 30s, cold enough to put on all our clothing and need a hat when we slept but not quite freezing temp. That was a little chilly but our sleeping bags were probably more of a problem, we haven't splurged to buy not-super-cheap ones yet.

That is one thing I really want to invest in. We have some decent ones, but when we went camping a few weeks ago it dropped to about -8C/18F and we were pretty cold all night, even with our air mattress on top of sleeping pads and extra blankets.

I am getting super pumped, I've booked three separate weeks from work to do three different backpacking trails around here and I've already decided on the first one. This is just a small highlight:

Healy Pass and Whistling Valley in Banff National Park. I haven't gone on a proper Rockies backpack for two years due to broken things like cars and toes so this summer I am going to make the gently caress up for it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I doubt an emergency blanket really insulates you from the ground that much but it's better than nothing...if it worked for you though then don't worry about what I have to say!

picnic princess, what kind of precautions do you take while camping in grizzly country? I've always been a bit nervous about that since grizzly bears can ruin your day and everyone in places like Yellowstone or the Tetons is like "don't sleep in the clothes you cook in or they'll kill you!" and poo poo like that. Glacier and the Tetons will probably be on my list to do someday...

quote:

Update: We start in the upcoming days. I Hope to see any fellow goons hiking along the AT and say hi. Look for the odd couple and their border collie. We'll be obvious.

Good luck, are you doing the whole thing? My wife insists that we should do at least the beginning of the AT at some point

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Noah posted:

Sweet, have fun! I was just there 2 weeks ago for the half marathon, and saw my first big horned sheep.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

LeafHouse posted:

Ben really blew a great opportunity there.
Hahaha thanks for the chuckle

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

picnic princess, what kind of precautions do you take while camping in grizzly country? I've always been a bit nervous about that since grizzly bears can ruin your day and everyone in places like Yellowstone or the Tetons is like "don't sleep in the clothes you cook in or they'll kill you!" and poo poo like that. Glacier and the Tetons will probably be on my list to do someday...

Grizzlies here don't seem to be super aggressive and it's very rare for an encounter to get ugly. I've had a couple myself, with one sniffing our tent in the middle of the night. That had me nervous, yes, but I had also just recently watched Grizzly Man. The only thing we could think to do in that situation was to quietly murmur then slowly get louder like we were approaching on foot so we didn't spook it or anything. It seemed to have worked because it left without any problems.

We do the regular stuff like stay noisy, prepare food and eat at a distance from where we sleep, using the bear bins or making a hang. I have bear spray as well. All designated backcountry campgrounds here have steel bins installed by the parks for food storage and designated eating and cleaning areas.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Colorado delivered another beautiful day. The trails were a bit sloppy and the temperatures got a little warm after lunch. But still better than sitting at home.

Edit. We were in the Glacier gulch area.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 29, 2015

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Quick question about bear canisters for any of the couples who hike together. Should my wife and I carry one giant canister or two separate ones? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Depends on how many days you're out and how you want to distribute weight. One can is fine if it fits all your food and someone is ok with carrying it, possibly with the other carrying more of other weight or something. Two cans lets you distribute the weight but is heavier overall

I'd probably just carry one if the food fits and distribute weight otherwise. I guess if you get separated or lose the can somehow (bear runs off with your pack) then it'd be worse to just have one, though