Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Tonk posted:

Isn't Silicon Valley full of RonPaul types?

Ron Paul types and Democratic donors. You don't think Pelosi ran Congress without some serious money behind her, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Grouchio posted:

If we're only losing 30k or so per donor for democrat endorsements I would reckon that it would be crying over spilled milk. Surely silicon valley could endorse them as well.

I'm sure white libertarian techbros are jumping to donate to the Democrats.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

radical meme posted:

The weird thing is, the Tea Party should love Warren; if they actually believed their own bullshit.

Where did Warren want to slash taxes and oppress black people?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm sure white libertarian techbros are jumping to donate to the Democrats.

Welcome to Google, glad you found a corporate culture that fits your lifestyle choices.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
"peloso" means "fuzzy" in italian, so I assume that "pelosi" means more than one fuzzy

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

baw posted:

Because it is a one-time sum, not an annual income.

So? Income is income, it shouldn't matter how you structure your earnings. This thinking is how Mitt Romney pays an average tax of 13% or whatever it is.

The first $250k in gains on a primary residence is excluded anyway, and your argument implies we shouldn't tax gains on investments period.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 29, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So? Income is income, it shouldn't matter how you structure your earnings. This thinking is how Mitt Romney pays an average tax of 13% or whatever it is.

There is a difference between the amount of money you earn annually from wages and the amount of money that you earn from selling an asset that you held on to for 30 years.

I never said or implied that we should not tax capital gains.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

Where did Warren want to slash taxes and oppress black people?

No, you're the real racist and Tea Party darling Ben Carson proves it. I'll give you the tax thing though.

edit: seriously, Carson is exactly what they think all black people would be if they just weren't so shiftless and lazy.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 29, 2015

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

baw posted:

There is a difference between the amount of money you earn annually from wages and the amount of money that you earn from selling an asset that you held on to for 30 years.

But some one time sources of non-wage income are taxed as ordinary income. Why should long-term capital gains be different?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

foot posted:

But some one time sources of non-wage income are taxed as ordinary income. Why should long-term capital gains be different?

What are some examples of non-wage income that is taxed as ordinary income, and how do they differ from someone selling their primary residence after owning it for 30 years

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

baw posted:

So if you sell an asset after 5 years the gains should be taxed? How about 10? 20? This argument is nonsensical.

baw posted:

Uhh....

baw posted:

Because it is a one-time sum, not an annual income.

How are capital gains generally not one-time sums? Or am I misunderstanding, and you're suggesting there should be another category on top of the existing short-term capital gains and long-term capital gains, like super-long-term capital gains?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I never said that capital gains should not be taxed.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

So much worse...

Like, who would were that other than some ironic hipster?

Coincidentally, I saw a handful of Reagan/Bush84 shirts at ACL last year being worn by people that were not even born when Reagan was President. My friend saw fit to interrogate them on the intent, as someone that was in the workforce during Reagan's time in office and is no large fan.

It's an incredible shame that more people don't know/accept that Bush lied his way into an invasion that's been incredibly destructive both in terms of human life and economic impact. Thousands of Americans killed, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis killed, and we're going to be feeling the impact for decades to come. Who knows how long that region is going to be suffering as a result? Who knows what the economy would be like if we hadn't effectively set trillions of dollars on fire?

And it's mostly written off as just "one of those things". A phony scandal like the way sane people view Benghazi. Or people think we eventually found WMD's, or proof Saddam was about to build WMD's, or whatever. We didn't. Bush hosed most of the world, including Americans, including the Republican base, and they don't even acknowledge it. Guaranteed there are people who lost family members in Iraq, and yet wish we had W back. It's amazing and depressing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

baw posted:

I never said that capital gains should not be taxed.

You're suggesting some weird exclusion on capital gains taxes on primary residences held for an arbitrary 30 year period. The first $250k of gains on primary residences are already excluded regardless of the holding period, what is the reasoning for expanding this exclusion specifically after 30 years?

So far, the only explanation you've given is that it's a one-time sum rather than annual income, which applies to all events that would trigger capital gains taxes, which is the source of the confusion here.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You're just suggesting some weird exclusion on capital gains taxes on primary residences held for an arbitrary 30 year period. The first $250k of gains on primary residences are already excluded regardless of the holding period, what is the reasoning for expanding this exclusion specifically after 30 years?

I did not say or imply that there should be a specific exclusion after 30 years.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

baw posted:

I did not say or imply that there should be a specific exclusion after 30 years.

baw posted:

When you sell your house after living in it for 30 years that money shouldn't be taxed as income.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Right, that was an example of a long period of time to hold an asset and then sell it. I could also have used 29, 48 or 35.6 years

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Maybe we could have a separate tax rate for :airquote: "long term capital gains" :airquote:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

baw posted:

Right, that was an example of a long period of time to hold an asset and then sell it.

So rather than telling us what you're not suggesting, what are you suggesting exactly? Is it a new category of capital gains taxes on top of short-term and long-term for extra-long-term capital gains? How long should this holding period be, and how would you prevent filers from using 1031 exchanges to use this new exemption you're creating as a tax dodge?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So rather than telling us what you're not suggesting, what are you suggesting exactly? Is it a new category of capital gains taxes on top of short-term and long-term for extra-long-term capital gains? How long should this holding period be, and how would you prevent filers from using 1031 exchanges to use this new exemption you're creating as a tax dodge?

No, I am suggesting that capital gains should not be taxed the same way as income, which happens to be the way things are currently done

holy poo poo

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Well they aren't, so wish granted, I guess?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

ohgodwhat posted:

Well they aren't, so wish granted, I guess?

Livin' the dream

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

baw posted:

What are some examples of non-wage income that is taxed as ordinary income, and how do they differ from someone selling their primary residence after owning it for 30 years

Selling your spare stuff on ebay or craigslist.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How would anyone even account for that?

Like, I would not report that on any form because I wouldn't be able too and it'd be impossible for the IRS to audit that...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boon posted:

How would anyone even account for that?

Like, I would not report that on any form because I wouldn't be able too and it'd be impossible for the IRS to audit that...

eBay sure as poo poo reports once you pass a certain threshold, because otherwise it'd be against the law. And if you sell a bunch of stuff on craigslist and deposit your money, your bank may ask what you're doing and then you'd sure better report it on your taxes or you might get audited.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nintendo Kid posted:

eBay sure as poo poo reports once you pass a certain threshold, because otherwise it'd be against the law. And if you sell a bunch of stuff on craigslist and deposit your money, your bank may ask what you're doing and then you'd sure better report it on your taxes or you might get audited.

technically, it's paypal who reports, I think.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So the NYT has a bit of a space filler on Bill Clinton... containing the buried lede from hell:

quote:

In September 2012, when Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential nominee, spoke at the annual Clinton Global Initiative gathering in New York, Mr. Clinton gave him advice backstage about how to appear in command when facing off against Mr. Obama in their coming debates.

That would be right before the first debate, where Romney beat the hell out of Obama.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
gently caress Clintons

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I generally don't like playing the "GOP Lawmaker says" game, and particularly don't like extending it out to non-elected officials or the general right wing, but for a piece of crap like Todd Kincannon I'll make an exception

Former SCGOP head accused of threatening his wife

For those who don't remember, Todd Kincannon once tweeted this

Yeah...

His whole timeline is full of poo poo like that. But rather revealing now

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Baw,

The tax code around capital assets and non-capital assets that can be treated as capital assets in certain circumstances is extremely complicated.

Individuals can exclude from income the proceeds from the sale of their primary residence up to $500k. Normal people generally thus don't have to pay capital gains on that at all.

Rental real estate, vacation homes, spec houses, cars, paintings, machines, and stamp collections can all either be treated as capital assets or are capital assets.

Many of the above can be depreciated. In that way, you benefit twice: once from the deductible expense and again from the lower tax rate on gains from sale. Which is pretty strange since usually you don't get to win twice with the IRS

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

I generally don't like playing the "GOP Lawmaker says" game, and particularly don't like extending it out to non-elected officials or the general right wing, but for a piece of crap like Todd Kincannon I'll make an exception

Former SCGOP head accused of threatening his wife

For those who don't remember, Todd Kincannon once tweeted this

Yeah...

His whole timeline is full of poo poo like that. But rather revealing now
He's not wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2015/0328/Arkansas-follows-Indiana-into-religious-freedom-fight-video

so Arkansas is going to enact a law like the Indiana one. What I'm wondering is how republicans cope with the dissonance of their vision of CEOs as infallible god-kings and Tim Cook telling them not to do this

eh who am I kidding, it's just purely fueled by hatred

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The first $250k in gains on a primary residence is excluded anyway, and your argument implies we shouldn't tax gains on investments period.

How many jobs does Mitt create to pay 13%

How many jobs do you create to pay your tax rate?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Losing an election only creates temp jobs migf.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unless Mitt has a dedicated, personal accountant he's created the exact same amount of jobs as I did when I filed my taxes myself.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Meg From Family Guy posted:

nothing to contribute as usual

is it possible for posting privileges be restricted by forum?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think he's more busy dumping money in a 6th Mansion, Offshore Accounts, and another Dancing Pony.

Also: His company literally buys companies and loads them with debt and leaves after stripping them for a profit.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 29, 2015

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

My Imaginary GF posted:

how many jobs does he create is a good question.

how many?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mauser posted:

how many jobs does he create is a good question.

how many?

Unlike Obama, Romney has created no jobs at IRS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm still not sure why people say Obama did so badly in that debate though, to be fair, I listened to it on the radio rather than watched it on TV. I guess I just want something different in my presidents than most people do.

• Locked thread