Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It's a negative swing, unfortunately :( Still, Labor ran a massive campaign out here, and some of the Western Sydney seats copped it even worse. I think as far as weathering a backlash swing to Labor, we did well.

But who cares, Newtown, Ballina and Lismore, and we kept Balmain

Suck it, Victoria

So what you're saying is more green seats = liberals retaining government? No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
What is worrying is that everyone hoping for the Legislative Council to mitigate the power sale might be out of luck :

As of midnight the 42 member Legislative council is :

Coalition 20
Labor 11
Greens 5
Christian Democrats 1
Shooters and Fishers 1

Of the last 4 seats :
- Labor 6.92, so they are basically certain to get 1 more
- Shooters and Fishers have .85 so they'll probably get 1 more
- Fred Nile will almost certainly get back in, as although he has 0.61 of a quota, he will get strong preferences from Liberals
- Liberals have 9.49. they might well get enough to get one more
- No Land Tax have 0.39, they are still in it.
- Greens have 2.2, so they are unlikely to get one more

Right now there is a pretty good chance that Liberals will pick up 10 more seats in the Legislative Council, giving them 21/42, and be within spitting distance of control of both houses.

On the bright side :

The National Party have seen the future coming at them like the K-T asteroid, and now not only will they be worried about Nationals turning into Independents, they actually have lost to the GODDAMN GREENS on something that should be the National party's reason for existence : protection of arable farmland.

Last year we saw Miranda with a record 23% swing due to exceptional circumstances (Massive protest vote, return from retirement of much-liked previous member), but today we have Lismore with 26% swing and Balina with a 32% swing. The Coal Seam Gas problem isn't going to go away, there is a massive amount of investment made in NSW, and the companies involved expect to get their return on investment, because no matter how much fuss the public caused they thought both Liberal and Labor had their back.

Come Monday morning, if the Nationals have the survival instincts of an ant, they will be raising eight kinds of hell in the party room, and may actually have to consider the demands of their constituents for the first time in 30 years. This change from voting lock-step on Liberal party matters will be quite interesting to watch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If people in the Nationals could see the future and had a sense of self preservation they wouldn't be in the Nationals.

But yeah, the upper house isn't looking particularly good (not that it is now); guess you can't do much when the cohort up for re-election was from a Labor win.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My sausage was undercooked, can we re-do the vote?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

My sausage was undercooked, can we re-do the vote?

How does one undercook a sausage

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It moo'd at me

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Someone has spotted Anidav's car

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I'd totally gift that to tithin were it in my power.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:gonk:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Pickled Tink posted:

I'd totally gift that to tithin were it in my power.

Tithin wouldn't DOWNLOAD

a CAR

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

You Am I posted:

Anidav doesn't have a car. How could he afford one?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Kommando posted:

Anidav doesn't have a car. How could he afford one?

Sponsored by AnimeTM

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A Good Thing http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/26/after-the-onions-theres-no-doubt-tony-abbott-is-a-loose-unit

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

You Am I posted:

of course it has queensland plates. of course.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is there an explanation of who held the seats the Greens now have? Mostly National and Labor?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Over 2000 words of onion based political commentary...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shadeoses posted:

Is there an explanation of who held the seats the Greens now have? Mostly National and Labor?

Newtown is a new seat, won by the Greens in a contest against Labor.

Lismore and Ballina were both previously held by Nats.

Balmain was retained by the incumbent Green.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 29, 2015

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Really good article

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Suck it, Victoria

Yeah I know right.

Sucks to be Victoria.

Seriously though, aside from Victoria being the best state, congratulations and good work to the NSW (not the best state) groons for all their hard work!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP public infrastructute

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

RIP public infrastructute

RIP education too apparently.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tokamak posted:

Over 2000 words of onion based political commentary...

I have a substantially shorter piece for you right here.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."
Victorian Liberal female MPs have reported being bullied, threatened and intimidated from within their own party

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I have a substantially shorter piece for you right here.

itt Quacktastic admits to having a small wang.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That was the implication, yes

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has sacked MP Billy Gordon from the Labor Party over a string of undeclared criminal offences in a decision that could threaten her government's grasp on power.

The Premier acknowledged the decision could see her lose her premiership, but said Mr Gordon's position was untenable.

"Integrity is fundamental to any government that I lead, today I am prepared to put my premiership on the line," she said.

The Cook MP issued a statement last night that revealed a criminal history dating back to the 1980s that includes break and enters and an apprehended violence order taken out by his mother.

Mr Gordon had been in the spotlight during the first week of Parliament after his former partner also alleged she was a victim of domestic violence.

Ms Palaszczuk forwarded this information to the Police Commissioner on Friday.

"It is a past that isn't pleasant and it's a past that was kept from me and the deputy premier," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"I'm appalled and I'm shocked and I feel sick to the stomach.

"There is no second chance."

Mr Gordon has not revealed whether he will quit as an MP and Ms Palaszczuk said he was extremely upset over the situation.

She said would write to state secretary of the party Evan Moorhead to have the first-time MP expelled.

Labor holds 44 seats, the Liberal National Party holds 42 and if Cook does go to a by-election, the balance of power could potentially shift in Queensland.

"The Government will continue to function," Ms Palaszczuk said.

HAPPENING

http://abc.net.au/news/qld-election-2015/guide/cook/

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Things you don't need a police check for: becoming a member of parliament

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm dying. Springborg could become Premier because the ALP literally ran a documented domestic abuser as the candidate.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
That is pretty dumb.

That said isn't Cook traditionally a pretty safe seat for the ALP.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but it was LNP in 2012. A by-election run might see it swing back.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Burn Down Canberra posted:

That is pretty dumb.

Would him flat out resigning and forcing a by-election give them enough goodwill to make sure that it would stay safe?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Burn Down Canberra posted:

That is pretty dumb.

Yeah but it swung pretty heavily to the libs last time so I wouldn't take anything for granted with the amount of people in QLD who "voted against Newman, not for Labor"

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I don't suppose it helps for me to say I told you so. Good on Palaszczuk for having the guts and integrity to do this. How stupid are the ALP however? I would hope that any by election would see a Greens member elected but I suppose I'd settle for a Labor one.

I do hope that 20% + swings against them and losing to the Greens causes the Nationals to rethink being in a lockstep coalition with the commanders of Mordor.

Most disturbing thing said yesterday at the booth. NTATA (NRETA) and his gaffs are a carefully calculated distraction so nobody pays attention to climate change. Yes it was a Green's volunteer and yes she was a school teacher. :suicide:

Cunning Muppet Government!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nice comment. David.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I know we're all concerned about big government stealing your data, so here's a list of torrentfreak vetted vpns updated for 2015

http://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn-service-provider-review-2015-150228/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gough Suppressant posted:

Things you don't need a police check for: becoming a member of parliament

Why should you :shrug:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Anidav posted:

Nice comment. David.

That font :barf:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

My fonts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why should you :shrug:

Wilson tuckey was a fine MP after beating an indigenous guy half to death in his pub, even taking the nickname "ironbar" as a point of pride

• Locked thread