Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Ahh, to experience it all over again for the first time :allears:

I just wish the expansions didn't have such a high MSRP. I feel bad for not supporting my FLGS, but when Amazon or CoolStuff can knock $10+ off the price...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Basically, the problem with Alchemy is that if somebody draws $3+P on turn 3 and you don't with Familiar out, just concede.

The upside of Alchemy is that Apprentice and Herbalist are kickass cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Herbalist is not a good card on most boards.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Once you have all the expansions, Alchemy kinnnnnnnda becomes a really expensive promo card or two

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah but once you have all of the expansions you have more than enough blank cards to proxy the good cards. That's what we did with Apprentice, never did with Herbalist although we have the extras for it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Elyv posted:

Also possession is actually mediocre on most boards.

Good because it's also the single least fun card in the entire game.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Saboteur. :colbert:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Did you guys see this? Some pictures of the Kemet expansion coming out this year http://www.trictrac.net/actus/ta-seti-non-pourquoi-tape-et-t

I appreciate that french designers typically don't make butt-ugly games

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nah, Swindler is worse cause people actually use it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Saboteur is terrible unless you can king's court it every turn anyway

StashAugustine posted:

Nah, Swindler is worse cause people actually use it.

basically this

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

The badness of Saboteur is what makes it the worst though! When you get randomly owned by Saboteur it's the worst feeling because you know that that person shouldn't have even bought it in the first place!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ghost Ship is another classic

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ghost Ship and Mountebank are two of my favorite cards to play with and I was 1-1.5 standard deviations above expected in games with either card in them on isotropic

how bad of a person am I?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One more dominion question; I was searching for a simple table organizer for in-play, and found this Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjbrown/boardcrafting-dominion-caddy

According to the KS text, these things are being sold...but his website doesn't list them anywhere, so I'm presuming that either the KS fell through or he just ran out and never made more.

Does anyone know of something similar? I found a couple giant lazy-susan style things on Etsy, but I'd really like something a little more simple.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Did you guys see this? Some pictures of the Kemet expansion coming out this year http://www.trictrac.net/actus/ta-seti-non-pourquoi-tape-et-t

Jeepers reading the sketchy Google translation of that still brought a huge grin to my face. Can't wait to pre order a copy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have no idea how to read those symbols. It seems like a lot of it deals with the teleportation or movement in general? Some sort of variation on white economy that isn't quite as good at making GBS threads out prayer, but lets you basically save money or gain money from doing things you'd already be doing.

It also looks like you can buy extra "spots" for certain actions too, like an extra move at L3. I have no idea what those "three dudes" powers are at L1 at the bottom right could be, though. I thought it would be close to Legion but that doesn't make any sense.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

EBag posted:

Haven't played this one, usually theme doesn't matter that much to me but I just can't get excited about that theme. I'd definitely try it if someone I knew had it but I'm the one in my group who buys most of the games and I didn't have any interest in buying it and the mechanics sound kinda similar to Concordia which I already had. How different is it from Concordia?

It's definitely similar but is still different enough from Concordia. There's no networked board that you move pieces around, instead, there are 6 actions you can do 1 of each turn, and 3 broad types of cards you can have in your hand - Masters, Journeymen, and Apprentices. Each card also has a bonus you get when you play it. Only Masters can do all of the 6 actions (including hiring new cards) - Journeymen can do 5, and Apprentices can do 3 (they can't sew dresses, because theyre stupid apprentices). You choose your hand of 4 each round, and have to cycle through all your cards before you can reuse cards (Like concordia). You can also fire a worker from your hand as an action, to get it out of your deck. The cards are (in my opinion) more varied than Concordia in terms of bonus actions. You also get fewer of them. I've only played Concordia once, but I enjoyed Rococo a lot more for what it's worth.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
RE Kemet:

A while ago they mentioned adding in a Dawn Phase, so that turn order (which has a huge outcome on winning) has a little more substance to it. Those 3-unit tiles are probably some sort of mercenary function. I also recall them mentioning necromancy and that sort of thing, I think the theme for the new power tiles is killing enemy units, bonuses on how many you kill etc. This is all based on months-old information; the design may have changed a good deal since then.

edit: maybe the mercs give you 3 extra units on top of your initial 12? Increasing your total army by 25% (and allowing you to run around with 3 full stacks to everyone else's 2.4) would be a pretty decent power.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 28, 2015

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Nobody's talked about Coup: Guatemala 1954 in this thread yet? Surely some of you folks have played it?

For anyone unaware, this is exactly Coup with the 5 roles chosen at random from a large pool. (There's always a money role, a getting-new-cards role, and an attack role) I just played my first few games and enjoyed it but it did sort of reinforce my initial concern. One of the best things about Coup is it's a quick filler game with a very short learning curve before you start to approach the zen state of pure mindgames. G54 adds a fair bit of complexity at the basic "knowing the cards" level of the game, and I'm not sure how long it'll take to get past that. I'll definitely still be pulling out the original game when we have new players around.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

McNerd posted:

Nobody's talked about Coup: Guatemala 1954 in this thread yet? Surely some of you folks have played it?

Step aside Sentinels of the Multiverse, I think we have a new contender for worst art in games: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2235522/coup-guatemala-1954

I look forward to Indie Board and Games launching an inevitable Kickstarter for this in the coming months.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It'd be interesting to have more "director's commentary" describing the reasoning and revisions behind rules.

I do some technical training as part of my job and it's usually more effective to explain to someone the "why" and "how" behind something rather than just the giving them the recipe and relying on rote memorization.*

Where this feels applicable to board games is learning and remembering rules. I kind of hate reading board game rule books. I always procrastinate until the last minute because usually it's this straining exercise in rote memorization. I feel like my understanding and retention of mechanics would be better if there was accompanying reasoning behind why it works this way.

Some of it could be an explanation of the designer's goal behind the mechanism, like Chvaatil talking about the purpose of flares in Tash-Kalar. Some of it could be little thematic "whys" like the oft-mentioned food after getting rid of a pet in Dungeon Petz. Both tend to be easier for me to learn and remember than the simple naked "on your third turn, draw 2 cards instead of 1" or "this is worth twice as many victory points in phase 3" type of rules text.

Give me a rule book that reads and a reference sheet that folds up like a brochure to save table space and just has the facts. Don't give me a rule book that just has the facts.

*the other important part is actually challenging someone to do the thing they just learned about, and repeating again at later dates, etc, which board games do really well

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Step aside Sentinels of the Multiverse, I think we have a new contender for worst art in games: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2235522/coup-guatemala-1954

I look forward to Indie Board and Games launching an inevitable Kickstarter for this in the coming months.

The art style is way too awful to be unintentional; I'm thinking it must be a reference to some Latin American artist? But yeah, still.

I didn't want to complain because it's some small publisher and proceeds are going to charity. But since you bring it up I have to admit the component quality is pretty awful all around. The worst game coins I ever saw; dubious English with some words misspelled; full rules explanation for each card is on a separate card with tiny print (though hopefully you won't need it much). The rules reference cards are a little taller and labeled on the top, so you can use them as dividers to help with setup, which is a nice touch, but you can't leave them vertical when you put the game away or the box won't close.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think I'm gonna go with IV edition of Glory to Rome and the original Catacombs as being the ugliest games I'd actually play

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ugliest artwork?

*lists any of a series of 18xx games*

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

example:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

example:

Look at all those charts and counters, and hexes! That's not ugly it is a thing of beauty :swoon:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I had a really good time with Hanabi the other night - but I think it's really a game best not EVER discussed ammong a play group outside of actually playing it. The chances to develop conventions for what certain bids should mean are just too great - I went on the BGG forums for it the other day and they were just terrifying messes of obscure, bridge-style bidding conventions and jargon. I mean, even playing it with the same few people a bunch of times will clue people in to the logics of why you give certain clues - but even things like 'saying this is a 5 means you can throw away the rest of your hand' might be logical at times, but seems a little too close to outright cheating for my taste. Nonetheless, a fun game, and I think the mechanic could be used in interesting ways for co-op games, some sort of mystery-solving thing maybe.

Also, Viticulture continues to cement itself as one of my favourite WP games at the moment. It's quick, mechanically tight, reasonably well-balanced (with the expansion visitor cards at least; some of the original ones SUUUCKED), plays up to 6, reflects its theme well, and most importantly perhaps, I've won it half the times I've played it which is a loving miracle of some kind.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

I had a really good time with Hanabi the other night - but I think it's really a game best not EVER discussed ammong a play group outside of actually playing it. The chances to develop conventions for what certain bids should mean are just too great - I went on the BGG forums for it the other day and they were just terrifying messes of obscure, bridge-style bidding conventions and jargon. I mean, even playing it with the same few people a bunch of times will clue people in to the logics of why you give certain clues - but even things like 'saying this is a 5 means you can throw away the rest of your hand' might be logical at times, but seems a little too close to outright cheating for my taste. Nonetheless, a fun game, and I think the mechanic could be used in interesting ways for co-op games, some sort of mystery-solving thing maybe.

Yeah, I love bridge but my favourite thing about Hanabi is that you don't need pre-agreements about what clues mean so you can play with strangers. Sometimes you need to be more aggressive in playing fairly. At the start of the game I randomly and secretly choose an order for my starting cards so partners don't know which of them I'm going to discard next. With all of the starting cards having the same age, discarding them left-to-right or right-to-left is outside information, especially before I pick up a new card (and put it on the left or right).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The guy in my group who owns Glory to Rome literally cannot get it on the table because it's so ugly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I honestly didn't even think about a discard order; I'm not about to discard anything without being sure it's safe.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have the deluxe Hanabi with the black tiles, it's really pretty and solves my RSI wrist problems but it smells like a rat that was spliced with plastic died inside of the box

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, Viticulture continues to cement itself as one of my favourite WP games at the moment. It's quick, mechanically tight, reasonably well-balanced (with the expansion visitor cards at least; some of the original ones SUUUCKED), plays up to 6, reflects its theme well, and most importantly perhaps, I've won it half the times I've played it which is a loving miracle of some kind.

Have you played Vinhos? If so, how would you compare the two?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have the deluxe Hanabi with the black tiles, it's really pretty and solves my RSI wrist problems but it smells like a rat that was spliced with plastic died inside of the box
We used the racks from Hab und Gut to hold the cards. It seems a bit pointless to hold them in your hand the whole time when you don't really need to.

EvilChameleon posted:

Have you played Vinhos? If so, how would you compare the two?
I haven't, I'm afraid.

But I'd recommend Viticulture to anyone.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

McNerd posted:

For anyone unaware, this is exactly Coup with the 5 roles chosen at random from a large pool. (There's always a money role, a getting-new-cards role, and an attack role) I just played my first few games and enjoyed it but it did sort of reinforce my initial concern. One of the best things about Coup is it's a quick filler game with a very short learning curve before you start to approach the zen state of pure mindgames. G54 adds a fair bit of complexity at the basic "knowing the cards" level of the game, and I'm not sure how long it'll take to get past that. I'll definitely still be pulling out the original game when we have new players around.

I actually made my own Coup 3.0 based off Guatamala 1954, but I postponed finishing the artwork for reasons. 1954 suffers from some of its own design conventions, namely that cards can only be blocked by themselves and balance is out the window. Some of my other perceived problems with 1954 should be immediately apparent if you simply compare it with the version I made.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

thespaceinvader posted:

I honestly didn't even think about a discard order; I'm not about to discard anything without being sure it's safe.

This is a pretty solid way to lose. There aren't enough blue chips to be telling people what's safe to discard; not being told what you've got is a pretty good clue that nobody cares enough to tell you and it's safe to discard.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

example:

That's not that bad, it's like a non-GMT wargame. I remember some of your photos of PnP 18XX that were way worse (not as in shittily printed and cut, but more core material having some truly atrocious color/design choices).

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Anyone got opinions about Chicago Express? Does it actually play in 60 minutes with 4 players? I'm intrigued by the idea of a fast playing train stock game.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It plays that fast and it's brutal and great. If you have a weak player it can throw the whole thing out of whack, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I just introduced 2 friends to dominion; one managed to build a goddamn freight train of an engine and kick my rear end at my own game. I love this card game so much.