Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow that thing is awesome!

Maybe I'll shoot HG or HM an email to see if they have any regular mirrored laying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

D C posted:

What size ice do you usually play on?

Olympic ice is the one you should be worried about.

Looking it up it appears it was in fact an Olympic sized sheet. No wonder everything seemed so far away.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
So I've got a question about sticks.

I've got an Intermediate EQ20 (5 lie) that's chopped about 3.5 inches, and I just got an S7 (5.5 lie) that's totally uncut. I was trying to follow the CutHockeySticks.com advice by going short (just below chin length) with the EQ20, but the uncut stick is actually easier to stickhandle with because I can keep my head up and still see the puck in the bottom of my peripheral vision. The only problem is that the S7's blade doesn't lie flat, to the point that I burn through the tape on the heel in a game or two. And no one sells sticks with lies below 5, unless I get into Junior length.

Any advice? Should I try to split the difference (maybe cut 1 or 1.5 inches off the S7) and call it "close enough"? Or maybe cut some plugs to different lengths and test them out in the EQ20, until I find the sweet spot?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How long have you been skating

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Someone posted a video about tinting visors awhile ago. Ever since then I've been tempted to buy one of the Tron visors and tint it green. Only thing is I don't know how bad/awesome it would be to look through it. If you can't tell I want to be equipped head to toe in green.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

Someone posted a video about tinting visors awhile ago. Ever since then I've been tempted to buy one of the Tron visors and tint it green. Only thing is I don't know how bad/awesome it would be to look through it. If you can't tell I want to be equipped head to toe in green.

Haha, my Silver team has green jerseys. I already sport green laces and green gloves. I saw a forest green E700 helmet on sale earlier this week which would pair well with a green visor. I already think I look like the jolly green giant. Or Hulk. Yeah the Hulk.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Haha, my Silver team has green jerseys. I already sport green laces and green gloves. I saw a forest green E700 helmet on sale earlier this week which would pair well with a green visor. I already think I look like the jolly green giant. Or Hulk. Yeah the Hulk.

I looked at an E700 in green as well. I think a nice mix of black and green would be pretty awesome looking on the ice. Well at least to me that is.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played a pickup game last night and finally at a decent time now that the kiddos are wrapping up their seasons.

There were so many high level players there that it was far and away the best skate I've ever been a part of. So fast that most people were huffing and puffing after each shift. It forced the lower level guys to play harder, the high level guys were trying ridiculous stuff but also quarterbacking nice plays etc. 2 kids fresh out of juniors, about 6 guys who were all elite highschool/college level players, and then a few mixed D-B level. The goalies definitely got their workouts for the week to say the least. The best part was that the higher level players were still passing and dishing to the lower level players and including everybody. The two junior players were always out against one another, one of them even getting a silky smooth lacrosse style scoop goal from behind the net at game speed.

I honestly don't think I've ever had so much fun playing hockey, my leagues included, it was one of those magical times where everything just clicks and everyone was playing well together.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

sellouts posted:

How long have you been skating

If you're talking to me, I've been skating since I was a kid, but only playing hockey for a year or so.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, I mean the lie thing shouldn't be an issue for an adult of normal size. No adult should be using junior sticks imo.

I don't know how you skate or anything but being that far off from the correct lie seems really weird. Are you bending your knees at all when you skate?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

Yeah, I mean the lie thing shouldn't be an issue for an adult of normal size. No adult should be using junior sticks imo.

What do you suggest a 5 foot tall adult buy to avoid having a 100+ flex stick with a kick point in the top 6" after cutting, if not a junior stick?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

5 foot isn't really normal height but a 55 flex intermediate stick should probably be fine.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

My attempt to fully outfit myself in Bauer equipment is complete. New shoulder pads arrived yesterday, and my new pants just arrived.

Bauer, for sponsorship information, you can reach me at @hockles10 on Twitter. Thanks.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

5 foot isn't really normal height but a 55 flex intermediate stick should probably be fine.

5' isn't that weird. It's less than 4" below average for women in the US, equivalent to 5'6" for men.

Right now on Hockey Giant I have my choice of 23 52 flex left handed PM9 junior sticks and....5 55 flex intermediate sticks of any description. It just seems dumb to arbitrarily rule out junior sticks if you're small.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's still over one standard deviation below the average for women.

You can use what you want, clearly, and I'm not trying to say you're wrong or it doesn't work for you. In the case of the op, I don't understand moving to a junior stick to account for lie issues. I don't get it and haven't seen it before. I feel like it's correcting a symptom rather than the cause. I could be wrong.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

sellouts posted:

That's still over one standard deviation below the average for women.

You can use what you want, clearly, and I'm not trying to say you're wrong or it doesn't work for you. In the case of the op, I don't understand moving to a junior stick to account for lie issues. I don't get it and haven't seen it before. I feel like it's correcting a symptom rather than the cause. I could be wrong.

I wasn't planning on moving to a Junior stick. I just meant, in general, that 5 is the lowest lie I'm going to find, so it's not the lie/stick construction that's the problem. Maybe I'm just worrying too much about how close the blade is to the ice or maybe I have long monkey arms or something. I mean, I can't see myself from the third-person, so probably it's not as bad as it seems. I just know that, with the EQ20, I can get both hands in front of my body as you're supposed to be able to.

I mean, in the end I guess it doesn't matter, because I'm not good enough for sick danglez, so what's the harm in using a longer stick?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Here's a great video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-etQAgIs48

I think maybe you should ask a rink trainer or a coach for a few minutes of their time and get a good opinion after watching you skate and move the puck, shoot, and pass.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 28, 2015

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
3pm playoff game today, what the gently caress is this?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
So I just bought my first ever pair of breezers and the overwhelming thought I had whilst trying on ~7 different pairs is "holy poo poo there is zero dilz protection on these things."

Like, anti protection. My junk is better protected behind jeans than these. This is more of an observation than a complaint but holy poo poo how can that one goon NOT always wear a cup with these. :ohdear:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah I felt like even with a cup on underneath the girdle that there wasn't much protection in the dick and balls area.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Took a shot off the tongue of my skate at pickup last night. Finished the pickup without too much issue, it started to throb a bit after I took my skates off, but it's really started to hurt now. I've got a playoff game tonight, so I'm hoping that squeezing it back into my skate helps and my skating isn't affected too much.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I took a shot to the toe about two weeks ago. Kept my skate on as long as possible to keep the swelling down. Still freakin' hurts.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

No matter what I do, I am always hit with shots in the same 2 square inch area on my upper ankle/lower shin. One day, I am going to get hit there and my foot is going to fall off my leg.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I started skating I had shin guards that went under my tongue, first or second skate I took a wrister right in the front of the ankle. Said gently caress that noise and went and got some big beefy shin guards that go over the tongue and protect a lot better, they go down my foot an inch or two more.

Now I only seem to take pucks in the toe. :negative:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Hockles posted:

No matter what I do, I am always hit with shots in the same 2 square inch area on my upper ankle/lower shin. One day, I am going to get hit there and my foot is going to fall off my leg.

There must be some sort of inverse Murphy's Law about this sort of thing...

Where are you currently injured/sensitive? Yeah that's where you're going to get thwacked the most by everything on this planet.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Now I only seem to take pucks in the toe. :negative:

This was the first time I've taken one to the toe. gently caress does it hurt, even with that hard plastic. I couldn't put any weight on it and we took forever getting the puck out of our zone so I could hobble off.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yo bewbies how are the grafs going? what ones did you get?

looks like there might be some deals on g75s and i'm getting an itch that i shouldn't

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
At 145lbs and now that I'm more comfortable stopping is there any value in getting a deeper hollow on my skates? One thing I've noticed is my skates don't bite when I'm crossing over as much as they slide laterally. But then I wonder if that's more technique than gear. I'm skating on 1/2" right now.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You probably don't need weird sharpening, you probably need to skate more.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You could be as great as Coffey or gretz on 1/2 hollow.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
You'd know if your edges were hosed because you'd also feel it on your acceleration and stops.

Nobody posting in this thread, myself included, needs to worry about holder type, blade hollow, foot angle, rocker size, or any of that.

I plan to buy new Tuuks when my old ones break because I always wore Tuuks because that's what Brian Leetch wore and now I'm used to them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
You're right but you are also wrong.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can accommodate hosed edges almost any time except when accelerating on a tight crossover with the puck, there's not much I can do when I've got all of my weight and I'm moving on that single edge while trying to control the puck. When I slip out of something I've done 1000s of time I know it's time to get sharpened.

In all of that stuff find what you like, stick with it, just don't expect it to elevate your game or be a magic bullet any more than being comfortable out there would be.

I'm far more particular than I have any right to be.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Speaking of being insufferable I am seriously considering getting my own sharpener.

Anyone have any experience with the Blackstone sharpeners? FBV is a must.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

Speaking of being insufferable I am seriously considering getting my own sharpener.

Anyone have any experience with the Blackstone sharpeners? FBV is a must.

The #1 reason I skate with dull-ish blades, is I don't want to drive somewhere to get mine sharpened, because the pro-shop at the rinks that have them are closed by the time my game rolls around at 10pm. Are there options that are cheaper than $1000 ?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Used maybe but I've heard conflicting reports of quality.

I'm in a similar boat. My fbv sharpening is expensive, I wait for a while, they close before most of my games and it's 25+ minutes of driving on a good day. All for a sharpening that ranges from good to really bad.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hockey helmets are unsafe, hockey players everywhere are completely unsurprised.

I like how my helmet I got for $18 from Tron is better than the $270 helmet

sellouts I wasn't a big fan of the Grafs, they didn't fit my feet well. they were top quality skates though, they're definitely worth a shot if you can get them for a good price

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

sellouts posted:

Used maybe but I've heard conflicting reports of quality.

I'm in a similar boat. My fbv sharpening is expensive, I wait for a while, they close before most of my games and it's 25+ minutes of driving on a good day. All for a sharpening that ranges from good to really bad.

if you don't mind the pain in the rear end of mailing skate blades you could send a few sets of steel to the No-Icing Sports guys, which of course would require you to have a spare set to skate on while you wait for the week-or-so turnaround

i'm not actually good at skating so i can't say if the sharpenings are good or bad. i just use them to avoid having to drive anywhere to drop my skates off due to an irrational fear of the public and waiting in line :sax:

their prices aren't terrible ($7.50 for FBV) and if you mail a few sets at a time it makes it easier to swallow any shipping cost soul pain

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

PFlats posted:

You'd know if your edges were hosed because you'd also feel it on your acceleration and stops.

Nobody posting in this thread, myself included, needs to worry about holder type, blade hollow, foot angle, rocker size, or any of that.

I plan to buy new Tuuks when my old ones break because I always wore Tuuks because that's what Brian Leetch wore and now I'm used to them.

What? IDK where you got that info, but you are way off. Blade hollow makes a massive difference depending now on an individual skates. Like a huge, massive difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bewbies posted:

hockey helmets are unsafe, hockey players everywhere are completely unsurprised.

I like how my helmet I got for $18 from Tron is better than the $270 helmet

I don't see the Cascade M11 in their results, I wonder how it would do.