Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Kyte posted:

Never seen asian parents? :v:

I'm pretty sure that this particular parenting style transcends cultural boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Sadly, Annie is not Latina enough for that Heat.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
she's made of fire

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Would that mean Kat is the Chris Benoit in this situation :ohdear:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dammerung posted:

Kat's really kind and understanding, though. I'm sure she'd be happy to teach Annie, and hopefully she still will be after this truth comes to light!
Kat is a very generous, wonderful person, but her face is wondering, "Is this why my best friend has been so eager to keep rooming with me...?"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

RZApublican posted:

Would that mean Kat is the Chris Benoit in this situation :ohdear:

Following this revelation she'll drop the tag team with Antimony and do a heel-face turn.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjibEkDoXQc

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I have a bit of a theory that the court doesn't actually know about Annie's cheating, and that Anthony found out himself, possibly through witnessing Annie's dreams during the whole bone tower event. If the court knew about Annie cheating, she'd probably be in bigger trouble than what she looks like she's in at the moment.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

On the one hand, Annie is a fairly important diplomat, and only an idiot would risk damage to international relations over some misbehavior at school.

On the other hand, Annie is a student at the Court, and the Court would absolutely risk damage to international relations over some misbehavior at school.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
Eh, if you're a student, you're expected to follow school rules despite whatever other status you may have. If nothing else, because they seem to have minor divinities show up as students occasionally (ie, Brinnie).

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Really Pants posted:

On the one hand, Annie is a fairly important diplomat, and only an idiot would risk damage to international relations over some misbehavior at school.

On the other hand, Annie is a student at the Court, and the Court would absolutely risk damage to international relations over some misbehavior at school.

Is she a fairly important diplomat, though? The Court really doesn't seem to put too much stock in the Forest's medium, or the Forest as an entity.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Plus the headmaster did try to turf her out of her diplomat role when she was the Court medium, so it's not like he'd be worried about what happens to her as the Forest medium.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Hodgepodge posted:

they seem to have minor divinities show up as students occasionally (ie, Brinnie).
What's this now?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jackard posted:

What's this now?

The girl who liked Anthony back when they were kids.

Brinnie is totally short for Brynhildr, right?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

shadowvine118 posted:

I have a bit of a theory that the court doesn't actually know about Annie's cheating, and that Anthony found out himself, possibly through witnessing Annie's dreams during the whole bone tower event. If the court knew about Annie cheating, she'd probably be in bigger trouble than what she looks like she's in at the moment.

Annie has the binding on in the dream sequence, maybe it snipped Tony's hand :tinfoil:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Plus the headmaster did try to turf her out of her diplomat role when she was the Court medium, so it's not like he'd be worried about what happens to her as the Forest medium.

She wasn't the court medium though? That was the thing, he appointed Andrew to the position (which had been vacant since Surma left).

I mentioned some pages back that the plot hadn't really kicked off yet because we were still waiting for the destabilizing event. This could be it. Annie being barred from the Forest by Anthony, or any sort of related fallout impairing her ability to be the Forest medium kicking off hostilities between the Court and Forest would be it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

She wasn't the court medium though? That was the thing, he appointed Andrew to the position (which had been vacant since Surma left).

Whoops, yeah, that's right. My point still stands, just about.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Fried Chicken posted:

I mentioned some pages back that the plot hadn't really kicked off yet because we were still waiting for the destabilizing event. This could be it. Annie being barred from the Forest by Anthony, or any sort of related fallout impairing her ability to be the Forest medium kicking off hostilities between the Court and Forest would be it.

They tried to bar her from the forest, and Coyote just made her their medium. (On the other end, they more or less tried to bar her from the Court and Andrew put a stop to that.)

Ysengrin openly attacking in the middle of a meeting wasn't enough for them to go to war. I think whatever the "destabilizing event" is, it would have to involve something happening to Coyote. He is the one that originally created the divide, he's the one that stopped Ysengrin's attack, and he's the one who empowered Annie to be their medium. In short, he's done a lot to create the current status quo and has acted to keep it this way every time it's been threatened. So either he'd have to change his mind, or he'd have to be removed from the situation.

It seems likely, then, that the "destabilizing event" would come when the kids finally attempt to take on Jeanne. As she is now part of the divide between the court and the forest, Coyote would likely intervene. Jeanne might actually be powerful enough to destroy him--in fact, this may very well be why she was trapped down there, to act as a line of defense against Coyote (which would explain what she is "waiting" for, as Muut put it). But if she's not, finding out that the humans did this to one of their own might make him decide to end the divide, forcefully.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Re: minor divinities:

Wasn't the Chinese moon goddess in the comic at some point?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pksage posted:

Re: minor divinities:

Wasn't the Chinese moon goddess in the comic at some point?

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=918

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Really Pants posted:

The girl who liked Anthony back when they were kids. Brinnie is totally short for Brynhildr, right?
I remembered that scene but magic is kinda commonplace in this comic and didn't recall them mention anything about norse myths.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jackard posted:

I remembered that scene but magic is kinda commonplace in this comic and didn't recall them mention anything about norse myths.

In the flashback where the old gang is getting their picture taken, Brinnie's magic portal is shaped like the Asatru Valknut symbol.

e: found it

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 29, 2015

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The old man shes referring to is Odin, pretty sure Tom confirmed that somewhere

EDIT - yep: http://gunnerkrigg.wikia.com/wiki/Brinnie

EDIT2 - Elgamore has been seen using the same method for teleportation, I've always wondered if they hooked up after Surma left him for Tony

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 29, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ah, so it was explained on their forums and never actually in the comic. That clears things up.

slogula
Oct 2, 2013

Carrasco posted:

They tried to bar her from the forest, and Coyote just made her their medium. (On the other end, they more or less tried to bar her from the Court and Andrew put a stop to that.)

Ysengrin openly attacking in the middle of a meeting wasn't enough for them to go to war. I think whatever the "destabilizing event" is, it would have to involve something happening to Coyote. He is the one that originally created the divide, he's the one that stopped Ysengrin's attack, and he's the one who empowered Annie to be their medium. In short, he's done a lot to create the current status quo and has acted to keep it this way every time it's been threatened. So either he'd have to change his mind, or he'd have to be removed from the situation.

It seems likely, then, that the "destabilizing event" would come when the kids finally attempt to take on Jeanne. As she is now part of the divide between the court and the forest, Coyote would likely intervene. Jeanne might actually be powerful enough to destroy him--in fact, this may very well be why she was trapped down there, to act as a line of defense against Coyote (which would explain what she is "waiting" for, as Muut put it). But if she's not, finding out that the humans did this to one of their own might make him decide to end the divide, forcefully.

It strikes me that coyote created the divide to keep the court out of the forest, and the court in turn "installed" their own demon-sentinel to keep the forest out of the court. Coyote's been cultivating Annie's etheric abilities, and by making her the forest medium, setting her up for strife with the court. If Annie succeeds in her plan to translate Jeanne to the ether, it would remove the courts barrier against the forest. I feel like coyote's playing the long game here.

slogula fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 29, 2015

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Carrasco posted:

They were perfectly entitled to bar her from the forest, though. Going there was a priviledge they could revoke at any moment.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Really Pants posted:

In the flashback where the old gang is getting their picture taken, Brinnie's magic portal is shaped like the Asatru Valknut symbol.

e: found it

I never noticed before that Brinnie spoke in broken english. I must've skimmed it the first time I read it.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
And Eglamore was dissapointed that Jones couldn't be in that picture...

Perhaps because Anthony was there!? :tinfoil:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fffff posted:

Previous page. It's because Surma couldn't stand her.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

fffff posted:

Surma can't stand Anthony's alter ego.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
Maybe Jones turned into Anthony to figure out why Surma didn't like her?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Can't wait for a "Jones: Not Anthony" shirt. It'll go nice with my Jones: Not a Robot shirt.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

What is Anthony is a robot though???

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
What if.. WHAT IF! Annie's entire family are robots! Surma's death was caused when Anthony accidentally cut and pasted life.exe instead of copying it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Buckets posted:

What if.. WHAT IF! Annie's entire family are robots! Surma's death was caused when Anthony accidentally cut and pasted life.exe instead of copying it.

Command-X is the deadliest killer.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
Antimony was a robot all along!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
He is giving her a chance to make up for her mistakes and actually learn all the things she missed. What a great father. :unsmith:

Also this is the first time he actually used the word daughter. The emotions are just overflowing here.

This also explains why she wont need the book.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 30, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'm just glad Kat jumped in to stick up for her, I was starting to get worried that I would be right and this chapter would see a rift between them

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well, I'm surprised how in stride everyone is taking the development of Anthony abruptly appearing without explanation to put Annie through every last one of her worst nightmares publicly.

I have felt this entire chapter kind of like when Dawn Summers appeared on Buffy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh cock. Oh cock.

I hope this means Kat is gonna lay some serious smack on Anthony, as it's way past time someone should.

But I kinda like this, it does flesh out Annie as someone who can actually gently caress up, and has to pay for it. No plot armor for you, young lady.