Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fact that one of green's mechanics is "power matters" probably doesn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It would have been a better card if it was in Fate or Khans since you had access to actual good high toughness cards like Archer's Parapet and Ancestor. Still pretty niche though.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I went 3-0 at a FNM the other night with a fairly standard RDW. 2 Rabblemasters, threw in arc lightning against other red or token decks, went very well.

But with new Dragons cards out, I need to update it. I got a box but still didn't get everything I need. Will hopefully grab the other stuff I need before I hit the next tournament, but how does this look so far?

19 Spells
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
3 Searing Blood
2 Magma Jet
2 Wild Slash

21 Creatures
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Foundry Street Denizen
3 Lightning Berserker (probably go up to 4, when I get another)
3 Mardu Scout
2 Ire Shaman (all I own, maybe 3?)
2 Goblin Heelcutter
2 Goblin Rabblemaster (all I own)
1 Zurgo Bellstriker

Sideboard:
Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 Roast
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Outpost Siege
4 Arc Lightning
2 Bathe in Dragonfire
2 Burn Away
2 Jeering Instigator

No clue how to sideboard this thing, and I'd like to add an extra Lightning Berzerker and a few more Zurgos. Roast and bathe are for big creatures and dragons, Arc Lightning is for tokens, Burn Away for delve decks, and Jeering Instigator just seems cool. Chandra, Outpost Siege, and Purpohoros are all pretty cool, I'm not sure what to take out to put them in. I've been playing for a few months and this is my first set release, so any suggestions are welcome, especially on what to remove to add those other cards..

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't have any specific advice currently although I think your sideboard needs a lot of updating, but next time I'd recommend buying singles rather than boxes if you're not just going to draft with friends.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's all the decks that went 8-0 or 7-1 in the Standard portion of the Invitational this weekend:
http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/71_or_better_standard_decklist.html
So that's where you want to start probably, and I like the build-out of the RDW there.

The second on the list, Conor on Sultai Reanimator, is a high school teen that plays at my LGS. He actually "won" a Modern IQ last weekend when the top 4 split and he was the only one in the 4 planning on going to the Invitational. He ended up going 8-0 in Standard and 1-7 in Legacy, I think some guys at the shop were telling me that his Legacy Storm deck had Watery Graves in it because, you know, he's in high school.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
That's super helpful, thank you!

Yeah the box was not a good investment, but the pack opening was fun and I do a decent amount of kitchen table shenanigans so it's useful for that.

Gonna have to get those drat Eidolons.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Happy to see the 8-0 RDW deck is also not a fan of Rabblemaster.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Those Braverman brothers ran basically the same list and went a combined 15-1 with the deck.

EDIT: Also I am mad as hell that this deck runs 22 Mountains because I bought my specific Ice Age Mountain as a set of 20 on eBay.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 29, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Oraculum Animi posted:

During my pre-release I went with Dromoka and got that Butt Formation and tried to make a big butts deck. The concept was there but the quality of cards were not.

The secret to the rear end Formation deck is to not go all-in but play a lot of guys who work anyway, as a ton of Limited goobers have square stats, and realize the value is in it being Gerrard's Battle Cry that also makes Glaring Aegis and Shape the Sands down right filthy.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Is Impact Tremors going to be any good in standard? Seems pretty interesting but probably more powerful things to be using that mana for right?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I was thinking about using Impact Tremors in a Dash aggro deck thing, but I found that running Outpost Siege and calling Dragons for it achieves similar results but on a playable card.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Boco_T posted:

Here's all the decks that went 8-0 or 7-1 in the Standard portion of the Invitational this weekend:
http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/71_or_better_standard_decklist.html
So that's where you want to start probably, and I like the build-out of the RDW there.

The second on the list, Conor on Sultai Reanimator, is a high school teen that plays at my LGS. He actually "won" a Modern IQ last weekend when the top 4 split and he was the only one in the 4 planning on going to the Invitational. He ended up going 8-0 in Standard and 1-7 in Legacy, I think some guys at the shop were telling me that his Legacy Storm deck had Watery Graves in it because, you know, he's in high school.

I like this list but whisperwood elementals price is so loving stupid I refuse to buy them. I have all the other stuff though from playing Sidisi whip throuh FRF.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I like this list but whisperwood elementals price is so loving stupid I refuse to buy them.
Better we're all wishing we took the guess in the last thread the card would jump up from $5

Oh wait none of us bought raptor-chans either

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

Better we're all wishing we took the guess in the last thread the card would jump up from $5

Oh wait none of us bought raptor-chans either

I did, and I called it out in the thread so y'all have no excuse :v:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The secret to the rear end Formation deck is to not go all-in but play a lot of guys who work anyway, as a ton of Limited goobers have square stats, and realize the value is in it being Gerrard's Battle Cry that also makes Glaring Aegis and Shape the Sands down right filthy.

I will say Dromoka Dunecaster did work for me until the late game when a dragon would hit the field or it died due to a red/black spell.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Will Anafenza Waifu's ability trigger if you use Nissa Worldwakers ability to make a land a 4/4 elemental?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Will Anafenza Waifu's ability trigger if you use Nissa Worldwakers ability to make a land a 4/4 elemental?

No, the land doesn't enter the battlefield, it is on the battlefield already and just becomes a creature.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Michael Braverman has 24 topdecks that can immediately damage the opponent, drat. I wasn't so sure on Lightning Berserker before but I guess that's his plan to beat up on people who aren't playing creatures.

Also if you look at the top 8 profiles they each name a different card as the best one in DTK (well two of them do mention Anticipate) :v:.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

oh god why are the quarterfinals and semifinals best of five :emo:

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Secure the Wastes + Descent of Dragons + Dragon Tempest = ?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Secure the Wastes + Descent of Dragons + Dragon Tempest = ?

I liked the Battlefield Thaumaturge combo of that better.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pinwiz11 posted:

oh god why are the quarterfinals and semifinals best of five :emo:

What, you don't want to watch 3 hours of Abzan vs Sultai?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
That match was super grindy but the ending was cool. Reid Duke played that smart.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lancelot posted:

What, you don't want to watch 3 hours of Abzan vs Sultai?
And that's just game 1!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Oh, and only one half of the bracket was going on during that. So does that mean we have four more best of 5 "rounds" to watch? Right half of bracket, first semi, second semi, and finals? Maybe this will be done before 8 PM!

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boco_T posted:

Oh, and only one half of the bracket was going on during that. So does that mean we have four more best of 5 "rounds" to watch? Right half of bracket, first semi, second semi, and finals? Maybe this will be done before 8 PM!
Yeah, that's right I think. I'd like 5-game matches more if there were more interesting decks in the t8 rather than just 6 green decks + tokens and RDW. Maybe the PT will have more exciting decks?

Edit, okay, that Elspeth into Elspeth line was pretty great.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lancelot posted:

Maybe the PT will have more exciting decks?

8 RDW decks imo

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

8 RDW decks imo

no joke, this would make me happy

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Attorney at Funk posted:

That match was super grindy but the ending was cool. Reid Duke played that smart.

I just finished watching the quarterfinal match and WHAT A MISPLAY by Joe on the final turn.

Dude drew Murderous Cut. Then proceeded to activate Tasigur twice just to get back two useless Elspeth, then Murderous Cuts uselessly to die to exactly 4 damage.

What he SHOULD HAVE DONE, which would have probably won him the game, is immediately cast Murderous Cut for 1 when he drew it, targeting the Queen, delving away anything that isn't an Abzan Charm or another kill spell from his yard. Then he activates Tasigur, which would have revealed land+End Hostilities, then whatever Reid gives him he can cast to either kill a token and live an extra turn for the win, or pump an attacking creature and win immediately.

Holy poo poo, the facepalm from me watching that.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
And lo everyone watching the Mastery vs. Sidisi match-up passed away before the match ended.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

This is some Commander one-man-jerkoff poo poo

edit: mastery of the unseen manifests into a whisperwood, revealing another whisperwood. jesus christ

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 29, 2015

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the g/w devotion board always just looks like undecipherable garbage

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

cams posted:

the g/w devotion board always just looks like undecipherable garbage

And playing lands in front doesn't help.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Boco_T posted:

And lo everyone watching the Mastery vs. Sidisi match-up passed away before the match ended.

I felt some physical pain when Reid hit his one-of Reclaimation Sage on Mastery, then Anderson just windmilled slam a second one off the top :stonklol:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

And Reid Duke is just kicking the poo poo out of Chris in the second game.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That Genesis Hydra decision hurt my brain.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
As drawn out as it is, this is super interesting to watch. Chris and Reid are both playing very well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In some FRF GW matches, courser revealed manifests were kept face up as a courtesy. Was that ruled illegal or just something Chris doesn't want to do (and doesn't have to)?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Rinkles posted:

In some FRF GW matches, courser revealed manifests were kept face up as a courtesy. Was that ruled illegal or just something Chris doesn't want to do (and doesn't have to)?

I think that was done because they literally ran out of ways to represent the manifests in the mirror, and putting them face up was the easiest way to keep the information visible and public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Niton posted:

I think that was done because they literally ran out of ways to represent the manifests in the mirror, and putting them face up was the easiest way to keep the information visible and public.

No, they were face up with a standard manifest overlay on top.

• Locked thread