Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I like Renee and I would prefer her over any of the commentators on main WWE shows right now

Except Booker, Booker's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Booker does seem like he tries his best to actually call what's going on, but he gets drowned out by Cole and JBL shrieking.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Smoking Crow posted:

Right family wrong brother.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Smoking Crow posted:

I like Renee and I would prefer her over any of the commentators on main WWE shows right now

Renee's great. She has actual charisma in addition to being attractive and isn't an annoying dork like every other WWE commentator. They should just let her and Regal do commentary for everything.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CombineThresher posted:

Renee's great. She has actual charisma in addition to being attractive and isn't an annoying dork like every other WWE commentator. They should just let her and Regal do commentary for everything.

I mean, in a perfect world it would be JR commentating, but I would take your idea

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I wouldn't wish an announcing job on my worst enemy so long as Vince is backstage screaming in their ears to ignore what's happening and bicker with each other.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

WCW World War III (insert year) were pretty bad, more so because they were main event for a PPV.

1997 was cool as heck because when it got down to the end Hulk Hogan did his full Voodoo Child (Slight Return) entrance and revealed himself to be the final participant. This is despite the fact he was champion and as mentioned it was nearly over. It ruled.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

If you haven't heard her on the Gorilla Position podcast, you really should. Charm for days.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

...and I remember one from 1998 that showcased every lame tag team gimmick that was on its way out.

I believe that was the tag team battle royal that opened Wrestlmania XIV. There were something like twelve tag teams (compare that to now) and it seemed like the whole point was to put over the "returning" Legion of Doom, with their ridiculous plastic motocross outfits.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah WWE giving Renee so much airtime is great. It's probably for somewhat selfish reasons, so they don't seem so much like an old boy's club, but still. They could have just pushed her to a backstage interviewer role and that's that, but they tried her out on NXT calling matches, hosting panels, all sorts of stuff and it's cool to see.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

1997 was cool as heck because when it got down to the end Hulk Hogan did his full Voodoo Child (Slight Return) entrance and revealed himself to be the final participant. This is despite the fact he was champion and as mentioned it was nearly over. It ruled.

97 has some good spots, but also has every other issue that plagued WW3, witty camera work, lovely commentary, and an utter mess

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Gimmick Battle Royal was worth it just for Mean Gene and Heenan bullshitting their way through it

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Although I don't like the man, Madden wrote an article about NXT will ruin ROH (http://www.wrestlezone.com/editorials/565265-roh-tick-tock)

Would you say theres any reason or rhyme to this idea of NXT becoming a Super Indy that kills ROH?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Benne posted:

The Gimmick Battle Royal was worth it just for Mean Gene and Heenan bullshitting their way through it

The best was one of WCW World War 3 battle royal. As the ring announcer is introducing ever single participant of the 60 man battle royal, the commentators are silent so not to talk over him. Except as one competitor comes out, Heenan calmly says "A janitor?" and is then silent for the rest of the introductions.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

Although I don't like the man, Madden wrote an article about NXT will ruin ROH (http://www.wrestlezone.com/editorials/565265-roh-tick-tock)

Would you say theres any reason or rhyme to this idea of NXT becoming a Super Indy that kills ROH?

ROH exists as primarily a TV product that also tours so I don't really buy it can be killed right now. They can maybe bring their attendance back down to where it was a year ago but it is going to exist for as long as it is useful to Sinclair Broadcasting. If they sign all their uncontracted talent then ROH can bring in guys like Sabin and Shelley they haven't used who still have name value, plus lean more heavily on older talent like Daniels.

I also think WWE will get sick of NXT touring and losing money. To bring in top talent they need to pay them more and drawing like ROH isn't going to come close to justifying the costs.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Davros1 posted:

The best was one of WCW World War 3 battle royal. As the ring announcer is introducing ever single participant of the 60 man battle royal, the commentators are silent so not to talk over him. Except as one competitor comes out, Heenan calmly says "A janitor?" and is then silent for the rest of the introductions.

That's the one where the Yeti is cosplaying as Scorpion for some drat reason!

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Manwithastick posted:

Well, there is truth that they are going to start using NXT as its own touring brand.

But the article assumes that there is a finite amount of Indy stars and once they all sign with WWE, no one will fill in their spots. Plus Madden assumes that there can only be one Indy, despite referencing territories right after that.

He briefly mentions the wild card being Indy starts being able to make more then a WWE downside would give them, but he makes no mention of the booming New Japan stuff (or Lucha Underground and so on).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ultragonk posted:

On a related note are there any good women announcers? And has the WWE ever used any?

Mike McGuirk did some color commentary in the 80s if I'm not mistaken.

And yes, her birth name was actually Michael.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I believe that was the tag team battle royal that opened Wrestlmania XIV. There were something like twelve tag teams (compare that to now) and it seemed like the whole point was to put over the "returning" Legion of Doom, with their ridiculous plastic motocross outfits.

I watched WrestleMania XIV recently. A lot of those teams were just random guys thrown together anyway. Such legendary teams as Chainz/Bradshaw and Flash Funk/Steve Blackman. That is a terrible one, though, and it isn't helped by some terrible production gaffes. Kurrgan and Barry Windham did run ins on that match and the cameramen missed both of them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

She did, there was an interview with her on the Observer site several months ago too.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

CombineThresher posted:

Renee owns. It was sweet to see Heyman put her over huge at the end of his Network documentary, he seems like a huge fan :3:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

sticklefifer posted:

Can't remember what match it was, but I remember seeing a video on Youtube featuring a 3-person commentary team of Bruce Prichard, Mike McGuirk, and Pete Doherty and I DARE anyone to find a worse commentary team than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEYa5kmSjy0

Speaking of Battle Royals, here's a Bunkhouse version in 1987 WWF.
What's notable is that since you were allowed to wear anything you want, most guys picked their casual attire, but Lanny Poffo chose to show up in a full suit of armor :allears:

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

DeathChicken posted:

Booker does seem like he tries his best to actually call what's going on, but he gets drowned out by Cole and JBL shrieking.

Booker T not only tries to call matches, he tries to build up the guys in the ring, and, frankly, it's weird and out of place to hear a commentator doing his job like that with the other two clowns at the desk.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ultragonk posted:

Kid Rock (Is he popular anywhere outside of the US?)

He's not popular inside the US. He's poo poo, and his star has massively faded.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he's very popular in the u.s. and canada

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rotinaj posted:

He's not popular inside the US. He's poo poo, and his star has massively faded.

He's gotten more country based and is still very popular in that genre. And there's a pretty big fanbase for that kind of stuff

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Where can I find that t shirt of Ricochet, Tozawa, and Uhaa as the Guardians of the Galaxy

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

Where can I find that t shirt of Ricochet, Tozawa, and Uhaa as the Guardians of the Galaxy

http://www.prowrestlingtees.com/wrestler-t-shirts-1/ricochet/best-friends-of-the-galaxy.html

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

thank you oatgan

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

sticklefifer posted:

One of the funniest wrestling moments for me was when the camera panned to Diana Hart/Smith during Bret-Bulldog at Summerslam 92, and Heenan goes "Is that Mike McGuirk?"

Also a bonus Heenan being a dick to Mike McGuirk moment which also doubles as an awesome Sid moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb6EW8vcX2g

Gorilla: This is disgusting!

Heenan: Yes she is.

That crowd is going bonkers! The only thing that could make this video better would have been a stretcher job.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 29, 2015

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Despite how terrible the builds (or lack-there-of) have been, how awful the card looks, and the amount of effort that almost no one is putting in, I am excited for Wrestlemania.

What is wrong with me?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Despite how terrible the builds (or lack-there-of) have been, how awful the card looks, and the amount of effort that almost no one is putting in, I am excited for Wrestlemania.

What is wrong with me?

Nothing dude. Even the shittiest Mania will produce some hype in my heart because it is Wrestlemania.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is wrong with me?

Pavlov's wrestling fan.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Nothing dude. Even the shittiest Mania will produce some hype in my heart because it is Wrestlemania.
See, I thought this about the Rumble - no matter how shittily booked everything else is, the Rumble is still the Rumble, right? They can't gently caress that up completely.

Then they hosed that up completely.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The last Mania that was total poo poo was what...27?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Revenant Threshold posted:

See, I thought this about the Rumble - no matter how shittily booked everything else is, the Rumble is still the Rumble, right? They can't gently caress that up completely.

Then they hosed that up completely.

Feelings coming out of the event are a whole different bag. We were all stoked for the Rumble and then the pain started.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

The last Mania that was total poo poo was what...27?

There was a lot of dogshit on that show but it had good matches and moments so I wouldn't call it total poo poo.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gonzo McFee posted:

There was a lot of dogshit on that show but it had good matches and moments so I wouldn't call it total poo poo.

I didn't like HHH/Taker that year, so the show did nothing for me. Their match at 28 was way better.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is wrong with me?

You're either going to see one of the worst-received face pushes in history culminate in their new top guy getting booed out of the building after winning at Wrestlemania OR see them acknowledge what a disaster this was and literally have to reverse course on it at Wrestlemania. Either way it's going to be hilarious fun. And the rest of the card isn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

I didn't like HHH/Taker that year, so the show did nothing for me. Their match at 28 was way better.

Me nether, but that was on me. I knew it was a great match but because the style needs the audience to really be emotionally invested and since I wasn't it didn't draw me in.

27 had a fun match between Cody and Rey, CM Punk Vs Orton was good and had CM Punk being a better snake man than Orton has ever been.