Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Morby posted:

Anybody played "Life is Strange"? The trailer makes it sound really interesting and I like the premise.

I'm enjoying it, though the dialogue can be a bit cringe-y. There's a demo so give it a try and see what you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

How much space do you have behind/beside the console?

It's on top of my entertainment center, so plenty in front, maybe 4 inches behind?

PS4 has an error history in settings! Checked the error codes, and they advise a reinitialize of the console. Hopefully that fixes it...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

shmee posted:

I'm enjoying it, though the dialogue can be a bit cringe-y. There's a demo so give it a try and see what you think.
Cringey in a realistic or unrealistic way for teenage girls?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kind of both.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Cringey in a realistic or unrealistic way for teenage girls?

Now that I've played the demo, I can agree with that. Pretty neat premise, though!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morby posted:

Now that I've played the demo, I can agree with that. Pretty neat premise, though!

Having played the first two episodes, it also does a better job of blending your actions with minor consequences rather than just a binary "THIS AFFECTS EVENT C OF EPISODE 4 HORRIBLY". Its somewhat slow at times, but definitely building well so far towards bigger events.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Found out today that what many people consider to be the first boss in Bloodborne, is totally optional. gently caress my life.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I said come in! posted:

Found out today that what many people consider to be the first boss in Bloodborne, is totally optional. gently caress my life.

The vast majority are, it's pretty cool

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

I said come in! posted:

I had missed him and gotten to the actual first boss and was wondering what the hell people were talking about.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Syrinxx posted:

Why is the coop bell poo poo so incredibly retarded in BB. My friend and I tried for like 2 hours to join each other, we're in the same place and have the same level and tried about 4 different passwords. :suicide:

Ignore that other guy. Coop is not broken.

IMPORTANT BLOODBORNE COOP WARNING

NEVER USE THE REST MODE (OR SUSPEND) WHILE BLOODBORNE IS RUNNING. ALWAYS CLOSE THE APPLICATION.

a friend and I had coop problems every time we tried to match up and bloodborne online freaks out if you ever do a rest mode while still in the game. Yes, even resting at the main menu counts. If you're turning off for the night, make sure you close the game all the way to the dashboard.

COOP IS NOT BROKEN IN BLOODBORNE EXCEPT FOR THE FORBIDDEN WOODS.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I said come in! posted:

I'd figured this when I noticed my charge attacks were barely scratching its health bar, though I do like that once you find a boss like that it's walled off with a big glowing fog cloud so you know where it is for later. Is it just a massive sack of blood those optional bosses give you or is there a big useful item behind each one as well?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A lot of bosses unlock items on the messengers at your hub (the little dudes who are playing in the bird baths) or drop progression items. There aren't boss "souls" like the other games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Blooorne is a cool game. I played for like 8 hours today, and I'm still in the same alleyway, I think.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm hitting endgame and still enjoying it so much that I'm going to take the DS2 dive (again) when it re-releases.

I think Bloodborne might also be the scariest game I've ever played and it does this far more with build-up, game mechanics, and atmosphere than jump scares, though they are still there. Facing a boss when you have 30k echoes is a great way to freak yourself out. Also walking towards Cathedral Ward with 40+ insight for the first time.

nocuh
Jun 17, 2014
I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, received it on Friday. Played for a couple of days just fine, left it on when I went to sleep last night and this morning it won't turn on. The blue light flashes for about one second and then it turns back off :( Googling around isn't really helpful, but I've tried different wall outlets, slapping it gently on the back, and other voodoo, but nothing works.

Any chance this is a hard drive problem? Maybe I can reformat the hard drive and ... ? Any chance of that working?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

nocuh posted:

I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, received it on Friday. Played for a couple of days just fine, left it on when I went to sleep last night and this morning it won't turn on. The blue light flashes for about one second and then it turns back off :( Googling around isn't really helpful, but I've tried different wall outlets, slapping it gently on the back, and other voodoo, but nothing works.

Any chance this is a hard drive problem? Maybe I can reformat the hard drive and ... ? Any chance of that working?

Will it start up in safe mode? Hold the power button down. You'll hear the usual startup beep, keep holding the power button until you hear the second beep (5-10 seconds later) then let go. You should get a Safe Mode menu with some options to try. If that doesn't work then, yeah, you might need Sony support.

nocuh
Jun 17, 2014

Static Rook posted:

Will it start up in safe mode? Hold the power button down. You'll hear the usual startup beep, keep holding the power button until you hear the second beep (5-10 seconds later) then let go. You should get a Safe Mode menu with some options to try. If that doesn't work then, yeah, you might need Sony support.

No, even when I hold it down it still turns off after a second or so. Bought a PS4 to play this game from release and now I get to wait three weeks to get it back from the shop... It really sucks that this is still a thing with video game consoles :(

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

DopeGhoti posted:

Holy drat. Been taking Bloodborne slowly (only in part due to the load times :v:), and just got to the first boss after finding a way around that drat pair of wolves. Killed the fucker on my first try.

This is my first Souls game, and drat is this ever satisfying.

Exactly same here. Spent three different play sessions on three different days trying to get past the verewolves. Now I realized I had opened the shortcut past them on the first session, just had not seen it. Well, gently caress.

Then went forward, realized I got into a fight with Cleric Beast for the first time and took it down on my first try. Feels good man.

I really appreciate how non-linear this thing is, both in terms of the world and also difficulty. The place is filled with little nooks and crannies, and you have no way of knowing what's in them unless you go take a look. Following quest markers is so boring in comparison.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the level design in blooborne is absolutely astounding. Having fun with it, despite some of the weird desing decisions. Oh, and they could have thrown in a map, but iguess that is part of the charm.

E: how does it compare to DS2? might want to pick that up in the future, but I tried Demons souls years ago and didn't like it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Attitude Indicator posted:

the level design in blooborne is absolutely astounding. Having fun with it, despite some of the weird desing decisions. Oh, and they could have thrown in a map, but iguess that is part of the charm.

E: how does it compare to DS2? might want to pick that up in the future, but I tried Demons souls years ago and didn't like it.

Dark souls 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and I've easily dropped hundreds of hours into it. I THINK I like Bloodborne better, I'm just having trouble getting co-op to work.

One huge difference is that Dark Souls 2 has a clear "hub world" that all (or most) of the other areas branch off of whereas Bloodborne's "hub" is not directly connected to Yarnham. Healing in DS2 is not collectible based, so no farming for Blood Vials.

Edit: I see BB as a culmination of the lessons From learned from all their previous Demon's/Dark games re: game mechanics. Some people don't like the changes, the only thing I don't like is the load times.

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 29, 2015

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Tried out Bloodborne having never played a Souls game in my life. At first I was afraid the game wouldn't be for me after I died three times in a row without killing a single enemy. I know even suggesting a tutorial is sacrilege to some people but the game would not be ruined if it had an optional sparring partner so you could learn the controls without getting stomped. Eventually I got the hang of things and the game got its hooks in me. It's so drat satisfying to explore. Every new path is both exciting and terrifying and few games have ever given me that feeling.

Follow That Fish! posted:

Exactly same here. Spent three different play sessions on three different days trying to get past the verewolves. Now I realized I had opened the shortcut past them on the first session, just had not seen it. Well, gently caress.
There's a shortcut past them? I always came up through that building and had to deal with them on my way to the cleric beast. My strategy for the wolves was just to get them to follow me back to the building. They get stuck in the doorway and I was able to just flail them from inside.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I stumbled on what looked like an elevator after going through some sewers but the device was inoperable. How do I make it go? It looked like it would be a shortcut so I don't have to go through those sewers again.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Len posted:

I stumbled on what looked like an elevator after going through some sewers but the device was inoperable. How do I make it go? It looked like it would be a shortcut so I don't have to go through those sewers again.

You step inside the elevator and there's a switch on the floor

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

Elevators become operable after you ride them. You've got to find the other end of the thing and then ride it down.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Oh, and they could have thrown in a map, but i guess that is part of the charm.

Obviously a blinking "YOU ARE HERE" type map from most games would be anathema to Bloodborne, but I really wish they'd thrown us a bit of a bone here. I was thinking it would have been cool if as you went through Yarnham, you occasionally found grimy, handwritten maps on the body of another Hunter. Maybe it has hastily scratched in notes, like "wolves here" and "NOT THIS WAY" just to confuse the player more. It wouldn't tell you exactly where you are, but it would at least let you get your bearings. (And it would've saved me quite a lot of time trying to remember where that goddamned password door in Cathedral Ward was).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Popular Human posted:

Obviously a blinking "YOU ARE HERE" type map from most games would be anathema to Bloodborne, but I really wish they'd thrown us a bit of a bone here. I was thinking it would have been cool if as you went through Yarnham, you occasionally found grimy, handwritten maps on the body of another Hunter. Maybe it has hastily scratched in notes, like "wolves here" and "NOT THIS WAY" just to confuse the player more.

Player notes. :colbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The elevator is the last shortcut to get to the first story boss too, so don't be worried about walking into it. Then once you've got that sorted you can go bowling once the boss kills you.

Also I feel the lack of map is what Shining Coins are meant to be for? Like you lay them behind you Hansel and Gretel style if you're worried about getting lost.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

Elevators become operable after you ride them. You've got to find the other end of the thing and then ride it down.

Motherfuck. Hopefully I can make it back there again. I lost 3k blood echoes a little past there.

Unrelated: I like how Google Now keeps suggesting clickbait Bloodborne articles written by people who knew they wouldn't like the game but bought it anyway.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/26/how-and-why-bloodborne-lost-me

quote:

That setback – and resulting loss of items, BloodBux™ (I refused to call them “blood echos” because how does that even make sense?),

Is my favorite line in the article.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The next game players should be able to leave maps instead of messages to mega-screw with people.

Honestly I would have loved for atmosphere purposes to have a crappy map of Yarnham at least. Nothing atmosphere breaking about it, just really basic like the maps in Thief 1 or the overworld maps in King's Field. They're less useful for figuring out where to go and more useful for looking at to know "Oh I must be facing this way, in this area." You wouldn't even need one outside of Yarnham proper because the Cathedral Ward/Old Yarnham/etc. are so much more open with so many obvious landmarks.

Thief was so cool. I loved the map for Down in the Bonehoard because half the notes on it are just "Where Am I?" and "What is this?"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Len posted:

Motherfuck. Hopefully I can make it back there again. I lost 3k blood echoes a little past there.

Unrelated: I like how Google Now keeps suggesting clickbait Bloodborne articles written by people who knew they wouldn't like the game but bought it anyway.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/26/how-and-why-bloodborne-lost-me

I actually really liked that article, it hit on a lot of the things that frustrated me in the early going as someone who never played Dark Souls. The only difference being that I decided to push through and he decided not to, which is fine if a game is making you miserable (and being a reviews editor, he probably has a lot of other stuff to play). I know a lot of people who've been buying Bloodborne solely because of its aesthetic and looks knowing nothing about the Dark Souls games or how it works and they haven't liked it.

But then I'm a filthy casual playing with the brightness turned way up because I'm scared so....

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah this article wasn't particularly awful or anything. Still though:

quote:

My issue is that I have always absolutely hated feeling locked into attack animations for a second or more at a time – generally, I want my character to react as fast as I do.

"Well if I were in this situation there'd be no problem at all because I'd just use my super fast tactical fighting knowledge to..." stuff has always been a pet peeve of mine. :)

He's right though about the early game, even as someone who loves this game very very much, I thought it was stupid how one of the paths (which I think it way easier than the obvious route) past the massive bonfire was hidden behind some breakable stuff in a corner you might not even look at. That should have been way more obvious so people would realize it's worth exploring a bit more slowly and checking stuff out carefully. In its current state, ideally they should have one of those pre-made messages pointing it out. It's not like finding that first shortcut earlier is going to make the whole game way easier. It would also make it more obvious that the game is about uncovering new paths and territory in general, that's where much of the satisfaction of playing the game comes from.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 29, 2015

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Seagate 2TB External Drive on sale for just about the lowest it's been, $79.99 and it can be removed from the enclosure and installed into a PS4

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

"Well if I were in this situation there'd be no problem at all because I'd just use my super fast tactical fighting knowledge to..." stuff has always been a pet peeve of mine. :)

That's not what he means. it's about not having full control over the character. its not too bad in BB, because when you've started a swing it makes sense that the movement has to be followed through.
The worst example i can think of right now is PES15, where the AI takes complete control over the player you've selected and does something that would make sense in a real match, but, gently caress you, let me control the character.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

With the feature to back up to an external HD would that be a straight copy where you could then install the HD into the system and be fine, or is it just a vector to restore from? I'm guessing the latter?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah this article wasn't particularly awful or anything. Still though:

He's right though about the early game, even as someone who loves this game very very much, I thought it was stupid how one of the paths (which I think it way easier than the obvious route) past the massive bonfire was hidden behind some breakable stuff in a corner you might not even look at. That should have been way more obvious so people would realize it's worth exploring a bit more slowly and checking stuff out carefully. In its current state, ideally they should have one of those pre-made messages pointing it out. It's not like finding that first shortcut earlier is going to make the whole game way easier. It would also make it more obvious that the game is about uncovering new paths and territory in general, that's where much of the satisfaction of playing the game comes from.
Player notes exist for this reason.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Player notes appear and disappear at random and you learn very quickly they are not to be trusted.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well yeah, but outside of the tutorial stuff that's kind of intentional. :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's not what he means. it's about not having full control over the character. its not too bad in BB, because when you've started a swing it makes sense that the movement has to be followed through.
The worst example i can think of right now is PES15, where the AI takes complete control over the player you've selected and does something that would make sense in a real match, but, gently caress you, let me control the character.

See the attack animations didn't bother me because I play Monster Hunter, where using an item is a 5-10 second animation. I was actually shocked how well I can move when using blood vials.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Having to occasionally waste time to farm healing items doesn't and anything to the game and is dumb, but that is about the only issue I have with bloodborne, and it's pretty minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I've been playing this game non stop since day -2 and the only note I've ever seen in that area is the one I left there myself. I'm aware of what the notes are supposed to do but having a hidden shortcut like that so early in the game is stupid, especially in a cramped urban setting like the first area of the game where you can't easily figure out by looking around that "Oh, there must be a path to this point from around that point." Also it should be obvious that not every note a person leaves appears in every player's game, and this is even moreso with the online currently not being where it should be.

Underwhelmed posted:

Having to occasionally waste time to farm healing items doesn't and anything to the game and is dumb, but that is about the only issue I have with bloodborne, and it's pretty minor.

I'm sort of torn on this. Like in theory I agree it's bad, but I have yet to have to actually farm for them. I always end up with enough blood echoes to buy several. There's never been a point where I've had less than twenty on me when entering an area. In general though, if you want to farm them, just do the central Yarnham stroll from the left shortcut to the giant pig and you'll get like 7-8 in the process for like not even two minutes.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 29, 2015

• Locked thread