Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I see columnist from the Herald sun are now moonlighitng writing copy text for used car ads.

The future of Australian newspapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Do they include dysentery and malnourishment with the package?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

CrazyTolradi posted:

Do they include dysentery and malnourishment with the package?

this one lets you play two-up with bert newton and listen to an abba cover band

https://www.gallipolicruise2015.com.au/

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Drugs posted:

this is absolutely what they actually died for

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seagull posted:

this is absolutely what they actually died for

If they died to give ABBA to Australia i'm pretty sure that would technically make them one of Australia greatest enemies.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Drugs posted:

I've seen this before, but each time I look at the website i find something new and hilarious.

quote:

Frequently asked questions > Will Vegemite be available on board?

Yes, Vegemite sachets will be availalble at the breakfast buffet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

dr_rat posted:

If they died to give ABBA to Australia i'm pretty sure that would technically make them one of Australia greatest enemies.

Despite the complete and total difference in musical style, I would not hesitate to lump ABBA in with the rest of Australia's favorite artists like AC/DC, Barnesy and Pink.

This is not a compliment.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Good news everyone.

quote:

NSW election: Christian Democratic MP Fred Nile wants legal drinking age raised to 21

Christian Democratic MP Fred Nile will push for the legal drinking age to be raised to 21 and seek to give greater rights to unborn children if he is re-elected to the upper house, raising questions over how far the Baird government may lean to secure his critical crossbench support.

The octogenarian MP also says he's "ready and raring to go" and would be "lost" if he were no longer in Parliament, despite indicating he will hand over the baton before his eight-year term expires.

Late on Sunday with just over half the Legislative Council votes counted, the Reverend Nile was widely expected to be returned, despite suffering a negative swing of about 0.4 per cent.

The government was hoping to improve its upper house numbers by winning at least nine seats, so it would require only the support of the two Christian Democratic MPs to pass legislation, assuming that Mr Nile was returned.

That result appears likely.

However, Mr Nile has offered only conditional support for the government's cornerstone policy to privatise part of the state's electricity "poles and wires".

He wants a parliamentary inquiry into the contentious reform, and a jobs guarantee to prevent mass job losses if the assets fall into private hands.

He has also raised concerns over the risks of foreign investors controlling a share of the network.

On Sunday, Mr Nile told Fairfax Media the inquiry might include the circumstances surrounding a report by government adviser UBS, which originally concluded the power plan would be "bad for the budget".

The report was controversially reissued after a phone call from Premier Mike Baird's staff, which raised claims of government interference.

Mr Nile rejected suggestions he would demand the government back his religious agenda in exchange for his support.

"I don't usually bargain with the government. What [proposal] I put up, I want the government to support on its merits. I'll never vote for something I don't agree with and I never have," he said.

Asked about his policy priorities, Mr Nile said he would seek to ban all alcohol advertising and lift the drinking age to 21, adding "there is a lot of support for that in the community and the medical profession".

He would also seek to revive Zoe's law, a bill that stalled in the upper house last year and would have granted the legal status of "personhood" to unborn children.

Many feared it could have led to restrictions on abortion.

Mr Nile would also seek extra government support for scripture classes in schools, saying the present system was weighted towards greater student enrolment in ethics classes.

A senior government source said the Coalition was forced to negotiate with the CDP and Shooters and Fishers Party in the last Parliament, and the notion that Mr Nile's party was further empowered was "a bit of a furphy".

"Nothing will change really . . . we will potentially have less people we have to negotiate with," the source said.

Mr Nile, 80, said he would hand over to theologian and broadcaster Ross Clifford at some point in his eight-year term if re-elected but "at this stage, I'm ready and raring to go".

Asked about life after politics, Mr Nile said: "I haven't thought about it, I think I'd be lost. I've been in Parliament for 34 years . . . I think I've spent more time in Parliament than I have in my home."

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-state...329-1maag9.html

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
My offer to do a full photo journalism piece on the Gallipoli cruise stands. C'mon, you waste enough money on avs for Anidav

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lizard Combatant posted:

My offer to do a full photo journalism piece on the Gallipoli cruise stands. C'mon, you waste enough money on avs for Anidav

Probably no where near as interesting as the Kid Rock annual cruise tbh.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Drugs posted:

Shortly after the first time this one was brought up here I learned an aunt and uncle are going on that cruise. He's a manager at Santos who thinks the greens are dangerous, unrealistic and uninformed communists who need to be run out of parliament. She's a social climber who was only having a career in admin away from being a stepford wife.

Their daughter was one of the lovely people wearing an Australian flag as a cape and trashing the graveyard at the gallipoli memorial service nationalist concert a few years back.

I don't really associate with a lot of my extended family.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Suck it Victoria!

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

quote:

Asked about his policy priorities, Mr Nile said he would seek to ban all alcohol advertising and lift the drinking age to 21, adding "there is a lot of support for that in the community and the medical profession".

The best I've seen on this is 45% in favor, 55% against, and that is in a poll with headlines like "AMA recommends raising drinking age to 21, but believe it's impossible to do in Australia". I think that figure is going to drop a bit when attached to both "Fred Nile wants to do this"and "I'm pretty sure this wasn't discussed anywhere in the election we just had".

Kings Cross as a party destination is basically dead now, and this would be Mr Nile administering the Coup de grāce to the suburb that historically was the home of his greatest opponents. In reality, the people involved in the 80's and 90's GLBT fights have moved on and become integrated into the general community, while he still is fixated on some mythical inner-city radical group planning his destruction, and he hasn't realised that the world has moved on and left him behind.

Last time Fred Nile was elected, they got 168,545 primary votes. This year with 63% of the vote counted, they have 79,209, so they should end with 125,000 votes, or a loss of about 25%. That's one happy thought to take away from this.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
tbh alcohol advertising should be banned, like cigarettes

all advertising should be banned, it creates artificial demand and thus is the number one cause of unnecessary scarcities

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Gough Suppressant posted:

tbh alcohol advertising should be banned, like cigarettes

all advertising should be banned, it creates artificial demand and thus is the number one cause of unnecessary scarcities

Ban gambling ads. All of them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Good news everyone.

quote:

He would also seek to revive Zoe's law, a bill that stalled in the upper house last year and would have granted the legal status of "personhood" to unborn children.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-state...329-1maag9.html

Maybe one day Fred Nile will be brave enough to step forward and fight for the right of women to be considered people.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Banning alcohol ads is fine by me. Stopping under 21's drinking though could just never see working. Be fun to see all the 18-20 year olds living close to a boarder, swapping states every Friday and Saturday night get on the piss though.

Although I really can't see either passing so whatever.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly I think there's a pretty compelling theoretical argument to raise the drinking age to 21 but I agree its probably not really a thing we can realistically expect to be able to legislate. Banning alcohol advertising is something that should have happened a long time ago.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Ban gambling ads. All of them.

Are there many of those around? All I can think of are ads for Ladbrokes poo poo, would be curious to hear what other ads the gaming industry still has. I remember ads for Jupiters from nearly a decade ago but I can't recall any recent ones

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Honestly I think there's a pretty compelling theoretical argument to raise the drinking age to 21 but I agree its probably not really a thing we can realistically expect to be able to legislate. Banning alcohol advertising is something that should have happened a long time ago.

Are there many of those around? All I can think of are ads for Ladbrokes poo poo, would be curious to hear what other ads the gaming industry still has. I remember ads for Jupiters from nearly a decade ago but I can't recall any recent ones

Non sports fan spotted. Go the MCG on matchday sometime and bask in the glory of dozens upon dozens of sportsbet ads

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Ban the advertising part of advertisements, but keep the actual ad space. Find a non-advertising way to monetize such.

Let the more creative ad companies turn into weird outsider art.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Yeah in Melbourne and sydney there are ads goddamn everywhere for gambling. On trams, trains, billboards, the works.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Honestly I'd be happy to have a bit of gambling advertising now and then if they would just ban the loving pokies already.

God everything about pokie machines are terrible.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZAhbhfcrhg

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 29, 2015

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Honestly I'd be happy to have a bit of gambling advertising now and then if they would just ban the loving pokies already.

God everything about pokie machines are terrible.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZAhbhfcrhg

The list of things where WA is the best state:

1) No pokies in clubs or pubs.
2) Ningaloo reef.
3).....

That's about it.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Cleretic posted:

Ban the advertising part of advertisements, but keep the actual ad space. Find a non-advertising way to monetize such.

Let the more creative ad companies turn into weird outsider art.

Billboard in Stockholm

It says 'Buy a life'. Also it was a pretty common thing for a group of anti capitalists to go around town, but mostly the subway (in the trains), and remove every form of advertising.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Ler posted:

Billboard in Stockholm

It says 'Buy a life'. Also it was a pretty common thing for a group of anti capitalists to go around town, but mostly the subway (in the trains), and remove every form of advertising.

and colour

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I'm on public transport in Sydney now and the only advertising I can see at the moment is for apartments, Jesus and holidays.

Ban it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

About 70 per cent of Australian strawberries are being fumigated with an environmentally damaging pesticide that has been banned around the world.

Methyl bromide is an odourless and colourless gas which was banned under the United Nations Montreal Protocol in 1989 because it depletes the ozone layer.

Australia agreed to phase it out by 2005 but a decade later, nine strawberry runner growers at Toolangi, in Victoria's Yarra Valley, are still using nearly 30 tonnes a year.

They produce 100 million strawberry runners annually, which in turn generate about 70 per cent of Australian strawberries.

Each year they apply to the UN for a critical use exemption from the ban, claiming the alternatives are financially crippling.

The co-chair of the UN Methyl Bromide Technical Options committee, Dr Ian Porter, said the situation was frustrating.

"Internationally, we've gotten rid of 85 per cent of methyl bromide, and it's a great win for mankind — in fact it's the best environmental gain that's been made," he said.

"[The strawberry runner growers] want to get rid of it, but there's a responsibility to provide high-health runners for the industry.

"It's frustrating ... but we don't want industries to fall over economically or technically. We don't want more disease or pests in Australia."

Environmental Justice Australia said it was concerned the growers were using a loophole to continue their use of methyl bromide.

"I think if people did know more about this issue, they'd be very concerned that the strawberries they're consuming are contributing to this significant environmental issue," chief executive Brendan Sydes said.

"There was a commitment to phase out this chemical by 2005 and yet, despite that, we're continuing to use it in this industry. It's a real concern.

"I think it's a real failure of the industry to come up with some alternative methods of producing strawberry runners, but also of the government to insist on compliance with this important regulatory regime."

Prices would increase to $10 a punnet: industry

The strawberry growers said if they were forced to stop using methyl bromide, the viability of the $400 million strawberry industry would be "compromised" and 15,000 jobs jeopardised.

The industry estimated their costs could soar by 500 per cent if they were to switch to soilless growing systems, similar to those used in parts of Europe.

The runner industry has invested more than $700,000 on research and development to find alternatives to methyl bromide.

Toolangi Certified Strawberry Runner Growers' Cooperative

That cost would be passed on to consumers, and a punnet of strawberries could end up costing more than $10.

"You imagine turning 100 hectares immediately into glass houses, and the impact that would have," Dr Porter said.

"It's just not the least bit economical at this stage.

"It's tough to weigh up economics, it's one of our challenges. Will consumers pay $10 a punnet? I don't know."

But local permaculturist Graeme George said people would pay more.

"I think it's well demonstrated with the organic industry where prices can be quite a bit higher than with conventional agriculture," he said.

"I can understand the financial incentives (for using methyl bromide), but it's symptomatic of the pressures the agricultural industry is under.

"Supermarkets are driving prices down."

'Imports would increase, threaten local industry'

The nine farms still using the chemical are part of the Toolangi Certified Strawberry Runner Growers' Cooperative, which declined to speak to the ABC.

But in a statement they said banning methyl bromide would threaten the Australian industry.

"Consumers would have reduced availability of fresh, delicious, Australian-grown strawberries," it said.

"Berry imports would increase, which do not always have the same production methods and health standards that Australian strawberries enjoy," referring to the recent Nanna's Berries scandal.

The statement said the growers had made a "considerable effort" to reduce their use of methyl bromide and were funding "world-leading research".

"The runner industry has invested more than $700,000 on research and development to find alternatives to methyl bromide," the statement said.

"This has included research on new fumigants, biological controls and alternative production systems.

"Research from this program has identified alternatives that proved suitable for other horticultural industries ... [but] research has not yet found an effective alternative for runner production at Toolangi.

"The soils at Toolangi are clays with high organic matter, and alternative treatments used in other parts of Australia do not work well in these conditions, especially in cold temperatures."

The Victorian and federal governments make financial contributions to the industry's research programs.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Link pls.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I could do without Strawberries

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
$10 per punnet o no

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Joe Hockey posted:

2% of people are paying 26% of income tax. What if they went to singapore? These are the questions we have to ask.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
makes u think

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Banned pesticide used to grow 70pc of Australian strawberries http://ab.co/1OMmduL

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Linked failed for me. But I went and found it anyhow - just figured you'd have it open to link right away

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Questions joe hockey thinks we don't have to ask include, why do 2% earn so much more than the rest of the population?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Isn't that what lifters do :shrug:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
$700,000 for research wow well okay then

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Close down the tax dodgers and you'd probably have 2.5% paying 65% of the tax

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

rapeface posted:

Every year since 2005 they have paid the CEO's grandson $70,000 to gently caress around on reddit and post ELI5 threads asking for advice on harvesting gases from stoner farts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

rapeface posted:

It's probably over the last 10-20 years too

• Locked thread