Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005
Get 3 different people for an hour long challenge every episode. Think Worlds Most Dangerous Roads but not just driving on a road.

For the unaired episodes just blur Jeremies face out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
"Due to contractual difficulties, Jeremy's words have been spoken by an actor"

*Entire segment is narrated by Clarkson doing the Adenoid Man voice*

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

:ninja:
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32062579

quote:

BBC creative director Alan Yentob has said he would not rule out Jeremy Clarkson making a return to the BBC in the future.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

"Due to contractual difficulties, Jeremy's words have been spoken by an actor"

All of Jeremy's lines will be read by Kristen Scott Thomas.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Put Jeremy in the Big Stig costume

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That's a line I was just waiting for. He'll be getting a time-out and then things will go on.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Going off this list of potentials, I'd be interested in seeing an all-girls Top Gear with Vicki Butler-Henderson, Jodie Kidd, and Suzi Perry.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32064440

It'd certainly help shed the reputation the show has in some circles about being about a trio of hairy knuckle-dragging apes just doing burnouts while shouting at pedestrians.

And all three of those women have as much or more motorsports cred than the old blokes have. It would almost definitely be a much drier, less silly show though.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Suzi Perry is funny, did a fair amount of faffing about on The Gadget Show and didn't mind getting her hands dirty when they did their challenges, so she seems like a good fit if they're going to stick close to the current format. Kidd is a horrible presenter who's sole qualification is "likes cars" and Butler-Henderson was the dullest part of a very dull show over on Fifth Gear, so they'd both be awful choices.

If I had to pick three names mentioned in that article, I'd take Perry, Evans and Martin. Their personalities seem like they could gel, Evans has plenty of experience leading a show and having those three would mean we could keep classic Top Gear arguments like "main presenter hates motorbikes but the other two rave about them".

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

Going off this list of potentials, I'd be interested in seeing an all-girls Top Gear with Vicki Butler-Henderson, Jodie Kidd, and Suzi Perry.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32064440

It'd certainly help shed the reputation the show has in some circles about being about a trio of hairy knuckle-dragging apes just doing burnouts while shouting at pedestrians.

And all three of those women have as much or more motorsports cred than the old blokes have. It would almost definitely be a much drier, less silly show though.

This would be the worst show ever. JK is bloody useless on the classic car show it's painful to watch.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Gene Hunt (No, I don't mean Philip Genister, I want Gene Hunt), Mark Evans, Monkey Harris.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Blitter posted:

Uh, until 2012 Jeremy and Andy Wilman were the main investors in Bedder 6 which iirc owned the franchise. That would have made Oison quite literally an underling up to that point. Wilman (the executive producer) has been a long time friend of Jeremys, and co-investor. If you really want to rank the importance of individuals within pretty much any corporate structure, you look at a) pay scale b) how replaceable they are. He was the highest paid, and I think probably the least replaceable given the length of his involvement with the show.

So yeah, Oison has always been an underling; if anyone was Clarkson's boss, it would have been Andy Wilman / the BBC.

Pretty clear that the bbc think jc is very replacable to the point they'll gamble 50 million pounds on it.

The producers run the show. You say until 2012, that was 3 years ago compared to 2 weeks at most ago.

I just tried to read the last 10 pages, how the gently caress do these dd nerds exist outside their rooms without literally killing themselves. If anyone was so antagonistic in real life, they'd be spending a lot more time in a&e than Oison did. It's the same level as peta fanatics going saying poo poo like "so do you just cage these birds up for your own entertainment or is there a real reason you are doing it?"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kidd is a horrible presenter who's sole qualification is "likes cars"

So, just like Clarkson then.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Truga posted:

So, just like Clarkson then.
Clarkson is a witty, insightful trained automotive journalist who has a way with words and timing that have led to a 25-year career presenting - and having a very strong hand in formatting - incredibly popular car shows. Jodie Kidd is a model and half-decent driver who's sole presenting experience was being the worst half of a duo with Quentin Willson. They are very much not the same.

NO FUCK YOU DAD fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 29, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

But they already took apart the set :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

But they already took apart the set :ohdear:

If they do bring Jeremy back, they may use this as an opportunity to reboot the series.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Clarkson is a witty, insightful trained automotive journalist who has a way with words and timing that have led to a 25-year career presenting - and having a very strong hand in formatting - incredibly popular car shows.

And even non-car shows. His documentaries "For Valor: The Victoria cross" and "The greatest raid of all" are NOT to be missed. Well formatted, not too short, and manages to paint a respectful picture of the troops, feeling proud, genuine and enthusiastic without feeling jingoistic or fox-news at all. Full of real interviews and even a good CGI-re-enactment between clarksons great narration. And without spoiling anything the former video finished with a great personal connection that shot the quality into the stratosphere.

(Perhaps he did go into how bad-loving-rear end the latter was by telling the story in the harbor where it happened while screaming over the wind becuase his boat is charging at the historical target as he re-tells the story. You might worry it would feel like a Bill O'Reily joint, but take my word for it. Hopefully this isnt :filez: to post a small clip of this part.)

e: cant get i to post a link that skips you to the right time, skip to 4:20 :350: and buy the video legally please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBj9K03ygU0

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 29, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I watched "The Greatest Raid of all" and yeah, he did a really good job in it.

He takes a genuine interest in military history and it really shows.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Interest in the military? Hates minorities? Terrible guy? Hmmmmmmm!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I did make a point, i thought, to emphasize his distinct lack of lovely jingoism (which i went in fully expecting).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bape Culture posted:

This would be the worst show ever. JK is bloody useless on the classic car show it's painful to watch.

Is that who she is? I assumed she was some aspiring daytime-tv host or a winner of a competition to be on TV. She's bloody awful.

There something about VBH that just seems a bit unclean. Like she's been sleeping in the back of a car for three days.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Who needs Top Gear anyway, Motorweek is still going with the same host its had for over three decades and they just reviewed the RCF.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/car_of_the_month/2015-lexus-rc-f

with the new Navigator later

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sir Tonk posted:

Who needs Top Gear anyway, Motorweek is still going with the same host its had for over three decades and they just reviewed the RCF.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/car_of_the_month/2015-lexus-rc-f

with the new Navigator later

But Motorweek also has Pat Goss, who is more deserving of physical violence than a Top Gear producer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

meatpimp posted:

But Motorweek also has Pat Goss, who is more deserving of physical violence than a Top Gear producer.

He's always been this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwXM199GKYg

So very dull.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
HELLO!

*walks out from behind a car*

AND WELCOME TO MOTORWEEK, WE'RE GLAD TO HAVE YOU WITH US!

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

D C posted:

HELLO!

*walks out from behind a car*

AND WELCOME TO MOTORWEEK, WE'RE GLAD TO HAVE YOU WITH US!

Not exactly from the James May school of Seducing Women levels of "Hello"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gFT1mEfZ8

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jeremy is undoubtedly a racist, crotchety old man that pisses a lot of people off and did A BAD THING. I don't care, I still want to watch those 3 fools together faffing about.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
BBC should just put a South Park style warning message before every show saying that Top Gear contains terrible opinions by terrible people and should not be watched by anyone. I'll then keep watching it.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Cacafuego posted:

Jeremy is undoubtedly a racist, crotchety old man that pisses a lot of people off and did A BAD THING. I don't care, I still want to watch those 3 fools together faffing about.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"The Greatest Raid Of All" was pretty fantastic. Follow it up with "Guy Martin's Spitfire" for a truly :britain: evening.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Chris Knight posted:

"The Greatest Raid Of All" was pretty fantastic. Follow it up with "Guy Martin's Spitfire" for a truly :britain: evening.

His recent one on Arctic Convoys is also brilliant.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

meatpimp posted:

Goss' segments are useful to send to people that don't know anything about cars. I've used his one on TPS sensors when trying to explain them to friends with newer cars.

He's rather bland, but that whole show is publictv.txt and I like having something like that around. Sure, they could use some music that doesn't sound three decades old and their segment transitions are hilariously bad, but they care about what they're doing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sir Tonk posted:

Goss' segments are useful to send to people that don't know anything about cars. I've used his one on TPS sensors when trying to explain them to friends with newer cars.

He's rather bland, but that whole show is publictv.txt and I like having something like that around. Sure, they could use some music that doesn't sound three decades old and their segment transitions are hilariously bad, but they care about what they're doing.

Well, they have been on for 34 years.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
At least we still have Roadkill with guys doing stupid poo poo in cars.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Looks like Andy Wilman has quit TG as well:

Andy Wilman posted:

Well, at least we left ‘em wanting more. And that alone, when you think about it, is quite an achievement for a show that started 13 years ago. I know none of us wanted it to end this way, but for a moment I’d like us to look back and think about just what an incredible thing you all had a hand in creating. When Jane Root gave us the green light in 2002, the brief was to reinvigorate a car show and get an audience of three million. What you all ended up making was one of the most iconic programmes in TV history, a show about cars that went global, won countless awards, was devoured by non car fans and ended up in the Guinness Book of Records.

We had a lot of laughs, we had a lot of tiffs. We went to amazing places and we went to some shitholes. We nearly killed a presenter, we had to run for the border. We started off with whoever we could get in the Reasonably Priced Car, and ended up with Tom Cruise. Throughout all this we made television that was beautiful to look at and beautiful to listen to. The work ethic never slipped, the desire for everyone in this dysfunctional family to do right by the show never faltered. Jeremy, Richard and James, as the visible tip of the iceberg, got most of the attention and praise, but you all in your own fields had such an immense hand in weaving this unforgettable tapestry. I would love to single out everybody by name to thank them for what they did, but it’s impossible and I’d forget someone I shouldn’t have and that would be crap, so I’ll just say Jim, I’m sorry we never got a bear to drive an automatic.

For those of you who still rely on it for work, don’t worry, because the BBC will make sure the show continues. Our stint as guardians of Top Gear was a good one, but we were only part of the show’s history, not the whole of it. Those two words are bigger than us.

Anyway, when you’re feeling low in your working day at any point, look around at some of the crap on TV, then have a think about Top Gear, 2002- 2015, and say to yourself: “I made that.”

A big, big, big thank you, which will never be enough.

Andy.

Apparently he copied in Ben Collins on the email as well :laugh:

http://jalopnik.com/top-gears-head-producer-says-farewell-to-bbc-in-leaked-1694581344

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

webmeister posted:

Looks like Andy Wilman has quit TG as well:

quote:

But Wilman said on Tuesday: “The email I wrote yesterday was not a resignation statement, and nor was it meant for public consumption. It was a private note of thanks to 113 people who have worked on the show over the years, but clearly one of those 113 is a bit of a tit, because they shared it with a website.
I wonder who that could have been?

webmeister posted:

Apparently he copied in Ben Collins on the email as well :laugh:
Ah.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Various reports saying ITV have decided to not pursue anything with Clarkson, so Netflix really now is Clarkson's only hope.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's still always the outside shout that the BBC decides to pretend it never happened next year and keep going.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If that's not a resignation statement, Wilman isn't very good at writing.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

https://motortorque.org/articles/top-gear-presenters-richard-hammond-and-james-may-no-longer-work-for-the-bbc

Yes...all the pieces fall into place...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"James may no longer work for the BBC"? But when will we know for sure? :ohdear: